• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Lisbon to Coimbra via Sintra

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We're planning our Caminho Português for 2020.
The credential shows the traditional Lisbon to Porto via Santarem and Tomar, which is covered by a number of guide books.
It also shows a variant that goes via Sintra, Caldas de Rainha and joins the central in Coimbra.
I haven't found a guide book that covers this variant, and was wondering whether this was the Caminho do Mar, or something else.
Could anyone please shed some light on this variant and let me know where I can find a guide or info?
Thank you!
Bom Caminho!

Attachments

• IMG_20191023_172101.jpg
    IMG_20191023_172101.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20191023_172125.jpg
    IMG_20191023_172125.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am planning to walk it some day, and have been making my own little folder of information. I will send you the plan privately, there's a bit of Norwegian there, but you'll get the gist, which is places and kilometres.

The credential shows the traditional Lisbon to Porto via Santarem and Tomar, which is covered by a number of guide books.It also shows a variant that goes via Sintra, Caldas de Rainha and joins the central in Coimbra.
I haven't found a guide book that covers this variant, and was wondering whether this was the Caminho do Mar, or something else.
As far as I know there may not be a guide to this route, at least not yet as it's not an official Camino, very few people walk it, so no demand in publishing. The ones who walk there are usually on the way to Fatima which is much more important to the Portuguese then Santiago. Fatima is amazing actually, don't miss a chance of visiting it if you take this route! Anyway, you might need some GPS tracks for this route as not many locals know about it, even in the info centres on the way. I asked in Sintra a couple of years ago and no one had a clue. Although I saw the markings of Caminho do Atlantico in Cabo de Roca, but I guess it's more of a touristic trail there. Pensions and hostels are there for you to stay, no albergues there as the historical route passes through Santarem and Tomar. For info have a look at other Portugues sections here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/Coastal-Camino-from-Lisbon/ and also maybe walking to Fatima section as well. Bom Caminho! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From Lisbon to Porto, the way is known as Trilho das Areias ; see the website : https://trilho-das-areias.webnode.com/
A lot of informations are also in the website of Luis "O Freixo" : http://www.caminador.es/
I made it in 2018, starting near Sagrès (south of Portugal) at Cabo de São Vicente, hiking along the coast and ending in Santiago.
I put some videos on youtube about this Camino; see videos 4, 5, 6, 7 on my Camino 2019 : link for vidéo 4 :

Hi, AJ,
Yes, I think you are right, the Sintra alternative is called the Caminho do Mar (not sure why, since I think the only part on the sea is from Lisbon to Estoril). @he.panpub has pointed you to another alternative, this one going, I think, along the coast (more or less) from Cascais up through Ericeira and beyond. That’s the Trilhas do Mar.

There are more threads in the “coastal route from Lisbon” section, which you may have already seen. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/Coastal-Camino-from-Lisbon/

If only Aurelio would come back, he knows everything about these routes and their differences. Check for old posts by @amsimoes.

We're planning our Caminho Português for 2020.
The credential shows the traditional Lisbon to Porto via Santarem and Tomar, which is covered by a number of guide books.
It also shows a variant that goes via Sintra, Caldas de Rainha and joins the central in Coimbra.
Could anyone please shed some light on this variant and let me know where I can find a guide or info?
Thank you!
Bom Caminho!
following this thread with interest. You are going to love Sintra... do stay a few days to take it in without hurry. Ultreia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back