• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Lisbon

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.
Anyone else starting from Lisbon mid May 2015?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wish I were, too! As Laurie says, it's a great camino [one I did two years ago - see my web site] but by mid-May I hope to be well on the way following the rather obscure Ruta del Ebro - one of the largest Spanish rivers - into the mountains and up to Logrono.
Buen camino Annie!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Anne - I'd like to say yes to your question but I leave Porto 10 May following the same stops as MiCamino73 who finished in Sept 2014. Cycled Leon to SdC in 2012 and enjoyed but thought I experience walking - hopefully there will be 1 or 2 walkers early May :)

I walked from Lisbon this year setting off 2 May. There were a handful of pilgrims along the route towards Porto, a group of about eight in Santarém. I would imagine that numbers are increasing all the time so would expect higher numbers next year.

Do make use of the 'pick and drop' service to break up some of the longer days. I included a fair bit of information in my blog (link below). If you want any recommendations for places to stay, there are a core of Lisbon pilgrims on the forum that would respond positively.

Bom caminho!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Anne - I'd like to say yes to your question but I leave Porto 10 May following the same stops as MiCamino73 who finished in Sept 2014. Cycled Leon to SdC in 2012 and enjoyed but thought I experience walking - hopefully there will be 1 or 2 walkers early May :)
Maybe see you at casa da Fernanda where my wife's and my caminho will start.
We will arrive first of second week in Porto. Did not book our flights yet but will do that soon in the new year.

Merry Chrismas and happy new year

Last edited:
Hi Anne, so no Levante for you in 2015?

One day hope to start from Lisbon but for next year investigating the Lana (Alicante-Burgos) or a combo Cami Gerona-Cami Jaume vía Huesca-Aragones.
You can guess who thought up that combo ;)!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wish I were, Annie, it's a great caminho. Are you going to be amigo-ing in Santiago again? Laurie

Happy Holidays Laurie!

No amigos next year - I will be walking a camino!

Yes, I go back to Portugal because I am not ready with it yet. So much yet to see!
My flight is booked (May 11) and I might spend a whole day in Lisbon and maybe meet up with Jose Luis and his wife if they are around and get the latest info on the route.
I give the CF about 24 days.
And some extra days for the Cies Islands national Park that are supposed to have fantastic nature :)
So a couple of extra nights at the convent in A Ramallosa and a day trip from Baiona to the Cies. So looking forward to May.

The etapa from Vigo to Pontevedra is new for me so I might try it :)

So many plans :)

@Walli Walker

I would be great to meet up in Porto.
Or later on in Santiago.
I think I will follow the coastal route/ senda litoral from Porto.
Which one are you thinking about?
There are three choices out of Porto - the Coastal, the central or the route via Braga.

Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@FlyingScotsman
I walked from Porto to SDC May and September this year both times on the coastal route.

Buen camino

@LTfit
Unfortunately no Levante yet - too lonely for me - I am walking alone.
But I´ve got the guide yes I do have it.

Good luck on your camino. Do you have the starting point and date yet?

Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Plan to start May 14 or 15. This will be my second camino. In 2012 I bicycled the Frances with my wife and college age kids. Plan to do Lisbon to Porto in 20 days and meet up with my wife and her girlfriends. Don't know yet if I will bicycle with them to SDC or walk. My 25 year old son may join me.

Annie. Casa da Fernanda is never "off route " even if we have to make a detour for that reason :) We specially will start there .lovely people ! God Jul och Gott Nytt År
Fernanda's was the first albergue I ever stayed in. Wonderful couple - so welcoming, friendly and kind. Oh! Annie - make sure you stay in Santarem! Lovely new albergue and very helpful and friendly hispitalero.
Enjoy your camino .... but, first - I know it's difficult, but try to concentrate on enjoying Christmas :)
Buen camino y feliz navidad!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Plan to start May 14 or 15. This will be my second camino. In 2012 I bicycled the Frances with my wife and college age kids. Plan to do Lisbon to Porto in 20 days and meet up with my wife and her girlfriends. Don't know yet if I will bicycle with them to SDC or walk. My 25 year old son may join me.
I understand you walk from Lisboa to Porto in 20 days what is very doable.!

Advice skip day three of Brierley's guide from Alverca de Ribatajo to Azambuja
Take the train avoid this horrible walking alongside the N10

Bom caminho. Feliz Natal e prospero ano novo !

I understand you walk from Lisboa to Porto in 20 days what is very doable.!

Advice skip day three of Brierley's guide from Alverca de Ribatajo to Azambuja
Take the train avoid this horrible walking alongside the N10

Bom caminho. Feliz Natal e prospero ano novo !

@Albertinho

We do not skip any parts of any camino - we walk all our caminos. Road walking is part of a camino :)

Buen camino.

@Albertinho

We do not skip any parts of any camino - we walk all our caminos. Road walking is part of a camino :)

Buen camino.
Okay Annie. You do not but many do. That part is a horrible hike.I am glad we skipped it.
I read on this forum some time ago -I thought Mario from Samtarêm hostal posted that there should be a detour now to avoid walking aside this dangerous road on the hard shoulder but I cannot find this for the moment.

So is the hike out of Porto to Maia and Vilarinho.
But here is the safe coastal detour to Matosinhos and Vila do Conde so there is no need to walk that horrible part out of Porto to Vilarinho to get in Sāo Pedro de Rates.

Anyway you as a diehard ,bom caminho :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I begin my CP from Lisbon April 30, 2015 and plan on entering Porto May 17 and Santiago May 28. First time Pilgrim.

Annie: My wife and I start from Lisboa on May 8 or 9. You said mid-May, do you have an approximate date?

Annie: My wife and I start from Lisboa on May 8 or 9. You said mid-May, do you have an approximate date?

@Gil A

Yes, I have now :)

I will start May 9th and walk 16 km to Povoa de Santa Iria my first day.
Sure we are going to see each other en route :)
Buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just finished a camino from Lisboa to Santiago. You may want to consider doing an alternate route from some place like Sienna or jump ahead to Azambuja.

While there are friendly people and some nice spots, there are some long slogs through the sections within the municipality of Lisboa.

FYI - You can hop on the metro in Povoa if you want to stay over in lisboa on your first day out. The metro in Povoa is SOUTH of the marked Camino. The metro station is in the wrong place on the map in Brierly's guidebook.

I highly recommend the hike to Fatima. You travel very quiet country roads and hike up some hill trails. However, during May and October there are thousands of local (and other) pilgrims walking to the Fatima shrine.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you plan.

@Gil A

Yes, I have now :)

I will start May 9th and walk 16 km to Povoa de Santa Iria my first day.
Sure we are going to see each other en route :)
Buen camino

I hit povoa my first day out of Lisboa. I took the metro back to Lisboa to my hotel and then the train back to Povoa the next day.

NOTE Brierly's guide has the Povoa metro station in the WRONG place. It is a KM or more south of where it is in Brierly guidebook.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Okay Annie. You do not but many do. That part is a horrible hike.I am glad we skipped it.
I read on this forum some time ago -I thought Mario from Samtarêm hostal posted that there should be a detour now to avoid walking aside this dangerous road on the hard shoulder but I cannot find this for the moment.

So is the hike out of Porto to Maia and Vilarinho.
But here is the safe coastal detour to Matosinhos and Vila do Conde so there is no need to walk that horrible part out of Porto to Vilarinho to get in Sāo Pedro de Rates.

Anyway you as a diehard ,bom caminho :)
To avoid the north POrto slog, take the metro to Maia. No shame in that game.

Fernanda's was the first albergue I ever stayed in. Wonderful couple - so welcoming, friendly and kind. Oh! Annie - make sure you stay in Santarem! Lovely new albergue and very helpful and friendly hispitalero.
Enjoy your camino .... but, first - I know it's difficult, but try to concentrate on enjoying Christmas :)
Buen camino y feliz navidad!
Mario in Santarem is a cool dude.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wanted to encourage anyone walking from Lisbon who uses the forum guide
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/

or the short stages from Lisbon information
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/

to please send me updates, corrections, comments, etc. Last year was a banner year, there were about 10 forum members who gave tons of good information, and the 2015 version benefitted tremendously! Hoping to continue the tradition this year -- I already have heard from one pilgrim who is leaving in June and who will send me notes, but there can never be too many contributors. Many thanks guys, and bom caminho! Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@SandyLeone
There is a chance we see each other on the camino. I will be arriving May 8 also and start walking May 9. I walk in to Azambuja May 11 in the afternoon :)
Have a great camino :)

I will try to send you info. My wife and I arrive to Lisboa on May 5. We plan to take a couple of days to recover from jet lag and start walking on May 8.
We are slow walkers so I expect we will meet Sandy and Annie along the way.
My blog is gilcamino2.blogspot.ca

Are Any of you in facebook and would like to keep in touch that way? If so, please send me a message with the details.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes Annie, only 4 for me. We emptied the backpacks (again) this morning, we are rechecking everything... we are trying to walk 15 km a day (mostly city walking) and right now looking for a nice central hotel in Lisboa to play tourist fro 2 days. Hope to see you very soon.

@Gil A
I will be arriving late May 8 and have a chat with @peregrina2000 Laurie.
Will start walking May 9 and walk 16 km to Povoa de Santa Iria.
The second day also 16 km.
The third day hopefully 20 km to Azanbuja and from then on longer days.
So - hope to meet up with you en route :)

I won´t sight-see Lisbon because I have been there before.

Last edited:
Yes Annie, only 4 for me. We emptied the backpacks (again) this morning, we are rechecking everything... we are trying to walk 15 km a day (mostly city walking) and right now looking for a nice central hotel in Lisboa to play tourist fro 2 days. Hope to see you very soon.
Hi Gil. Let me know if you would like to join a meet-up in Lisbon. So far we have something on Monday Wednesday and Friday next week.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Gil. Let me know if you would like to join a meet-up in Lisbon. So far we have something on Monday Wednesday and Friday next week.
Yes, I was going to write to you today asking if you had time. We leave Toronto Monday May 4, and arrive to Lisboa Tuesday morning. We plan to rest that day and Wednesday we would have time to explore Lisboa and to see you. Thursday we probably do some walking. We will be splurging and staying at the Hotel Azis near the park Eduardo VII. We have never been to Lisboa.
Please let me know if Wednesday is convenient for you, when and where we could meet.
It looks like we will be only one day ahead of Annie.

Thank you!

Gil and Brenda

@Gil A
hopefully see you and Brenda en route :)

Bom caminho

Annie, you said you are walking the first day to Povoa de Santa Iria. Is there a place to stay there?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Gil A
I send you a PM also.
Yes, there is a place to stay there.
Since it is a week end and I am walking alone I have booked a room in Povoa.

See you guys there next Saturday afternoon?

Last edited:
On our way to the airport
Looking forward to meet all of you. Laurie, Annie and Sandy Leone...
Buen Camino! Ultreya!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On our way to the airport
Looking forward to meet all of you. Laurie, Annie and Sandy Leone...
Buen Camino! Ultreya!

Safe travels!
Buen Camino
Bom Caminho

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back