• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Logroño and walk for 7 days; where to stop?

Pelen

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018 SJPdP-Logroño)
Finally I am planning my next part of the Camino Frances and this time I will walk alone.

I have 7 days to walk and I need to be able to travel to and from Madrid if possible (much more expensive and longer trips to fly to Norway from the airports by the coast).

To Logroño from Madrid I can take the train. As far as I can see it is going trains from Fromista as well. Is this trip, 185 km, to long for 7 days? Are there some other villages after Burgos with great (or at least not to bad) bus or train communication with Madrid or other places with airport?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Finally I am planning my next part of the Camino Frances and this time I will walk alone.

I have 7 days to walk and I need to be able to travel to and from Madrid if possible (much more expensive and longer trips to fly to Norway from the airports by the coast).

To Logroño from Madrid I can take the train. As far as I can see it is going trains from Fromista as well. Is this trip, 185 km, to long for 7 days? Are there some other villages after Burgos with great (or at least not to bad) bus or train communication with Madrid or other places with airport?
It depends on how far you can walk in a day. If this is your first Camino, 185 km might be a bit ambitious for 7 days. On my first Camino we averaged 20 km a day. My first thought is Burgos. If you get there a day or two before your week is up, there is plenty to see and enjoy there. If you find that you can really walk far day after day, you could push on to Castrojeriz or Fromista.

If this isn't your first Camino, you have a better idea than we do how far you are capable of walking.

Castrojeriz has bus service to Burgos. Autobuses Amaya and Soto y Alonso. Once daily. The Amaya bus terminates/starts at Fromista. There is no service to any other camino villages after Burgos and before Fromista.

I can't get the Amaya website to work. The Burgos bus station site only shows timings inbound. You might want to check government website for Castrojeriz (if such exists) where times might be published.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It depends on how far you can walk in a day. If this is your first Camino, 185 km might be a bit ambitious for 7 days. On my first Camino we averaged 20 km a day. My first thought is Burgos. If you get there a day or two before your week is up, there is plenty to see and enjoy there. If you find that you can really walk far day after day, you could push on to Castrojeriz or Fromista.

If this isn't your first Camino, you have a better idea than we do how far you are capable of walking.
I have walked from SJPdP to Logroño and are used to walk in the Norwegian mountains. I have a family at home and I am more interested in walking as much as possible when I am traveling alone. It feels like a better use of the days compared to stay at one place (the rest of the family doesn't appreciate walking long distance, they prefer to run or travel in other ways :D ).

Maybe I can start walking and see where I end up, if it is not needed to prebook transportation. I can also take taxi if needed and not to expensive. This would be in the beginning of May or in the beginning of June.

But I might do it complicated for myself the next time when I should continue, then it is easier to start in Burgos.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I can't get the Amaya website to work. The Burgos bus station site only shows timings inbound. You might want to check government website for Castrojeriz (if such exists) where times might be published.
A website with timetables and an overview for the bus line Burgos-Castrojeriz-Fromista is here: https://autobusesamaya.wordpress.com/las-rutas/castrojeriz/. It hasn't been updated since 2017 but I think the departure and arrival times don't change.

@Pelen, I've travelled between Madrid and Fromista, and between Madrid and Burgos, and that is reasonably easy and fast. From any location on the CF between Burgos and Fromista, it's either this bus or a taxi to one of the two endpoints when you want to stop walking. I don't know how easy it is to get a taxi the further you move westwards and away from Burgos, though. You could also consider the possibility of walking from your last location on the CF to a location on the bus line. A forum member did this not too long ago.

Autobus Amaya.jpg

Last edited:
Now I have a preliminary plan, I will try to book flight tickets this week when they are less exepensive. The thing is that I try to not be away from my family to much and in the same time walk as long as possible.

- Friday after work: Flight from Norway to Madrid. Landing 23.30. Train to the main station and hotel

- Saturday morning: Train to Logrono at 07.30. Arriving 11.23 (if the schedule will not change).

- Saturday: Walk 18,5 km to Ventosa where I have prebooked room (because I will arrive "late").

- Sunday-Friday: Walk 148,6 km on 6 days = average of 24,7 km/day (one km more than last time I walked and that should be no problems if I am not getting injured or something like that).

- Friday afternoon: Travel from Castrojeriz either to Fromista og Burgos by bus or taxi and take the evening train back to Madrid. The train leaves 19.33 from Burgos and 18.22 from Fromista (time table right now). Maybe I can pay to take a shower somewhere as well before taking the train. Take train to the airport and stay in hotel at the airport.

- Saturday morning: 06.10 fly back to Norway. Back at home right after lunch and my family is happy. :)

This should be possible, don't you think?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thight scedule you have there, I got a little stressed just by reading your plan....

Lykke til, Buen Camino!

Now I have a preliminary plan, I will try to book flight tickets this week when they are less exepensive. The thing is that I try to not be away from my family to much and in the same time walk as long as possible.

- Friday after work: Flight from Norway to Madrid. Landing 23.30. Train to the main station and hotel

- Saturday morning: Train to Logrono at 07.30. Arriving 11.23 (if the schedule will not change).

- Saturday: Walk 18,5 km to Ventosa where I have prebooked room (because I will arrive "late").

- Sunday-Friday: Walk 148,6 km on 6 days = average of 24,7 km/day (one km more than last time I walked and that should be no problems if I am not getting injured or something like that).

- Friday afternoon: Travel from Castrojeriz either to Fromista or Burgos by bus or taxi and take the evening train back to Madrid. The train leaves 19.33 from Burgos and 18.22 from Fromista (time table right now). Maybe I can pay to take a shower somewhere as well before taking the train. Take train to the airport and stay in hotel at the airport.

- Saturday morning: 06.10 fly back to Norway. Back at home right after lunch and my family is happy. :)

This should be possible, don't you think?
I think that if you previously walked from SJPP to Logrono at an average rate of 23.7 km per day and have been doing a modicum to keep yourself in shape, this should be doable. It is probably a good idea to ease yourself into it with a shorter walk on the first day to warm things up, which you have alotted. And, in general, Logrono to Castrojeriz is not as taxing as the Pyrenees so it isn't unreasonable to think you should be able to walk an extra one km each day.

Good plan.

Trains radiate out from Madrid. There is nowhere near Burgos connected to Madrid as well as Burgos.

I THINK the train Madrid to Logroño departs from Madrid Chamartin. You probably want to overnight very near there for an 0730 departure. Check your travel from the airport as you arrive late. A taxi might be the best option to save time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Pelen,
From Frómista there is train and bus to Palencia, I think the train is about 9:30 am. in the morning and the bus shortly after. From Palencia to Madrid there is the AVE train, at 4:28 pm, 17,38h. and at 19.41h approximately. (If I am not mistaken, which may be, the schedules change from time to time).
Another possibility is also the taxi, it costs 39 euros and takes about 20 minutes.
If you are in Frómista and you have time to shower, you can do it in our albergue for free, also to leave the backpack and walk around the town until the train exit, the station is about 500 meters from the albergue (Luz de Frómista). It is not the first time that pilgrims ask us to just take a shower or leave the backpack for a few hours while waiting for the bus or train, we love that they do, my wife and I made our first Camino 22 years ago and we are pilgrims...

Do you know www.rome2rio.com? It is one of the best ways to plan trips.

Thank you so much gmag! Then I know I have flexibility between Burgos and Fromista and that it is possible to stop walking on several places (and as well take a shower). Then I decide where to end when I am walking. So grateful for your answer!

And thanks for the link. I haven’t seen that.

You're welcome Pelen, we will be happy to help you with whatever you need, whether in the albergue or information that we can give you for your Camino.
Very cordially,
Gabriel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will be arriving very late to Madrid, Negotiating the connection from train to Metro, then walking to your hotel could be tiring and awkward. Not that Madrid be an unsafe city, but anyway...Maybe you can consider a taxi. I believe there is a flat tariff, 30 euros
Buen camino!

You will be arriving very late to Madrid, Negotiating the connection from train to Metro, then walking to your hotel could be tiring and awkward. Not that Madrid be an unsafe city, but anyway...Maybe you can consider a taxi. I believe there is a flat tariff, 30 euros
Buen camino!
As far as I can see (when I check the trains now in January), the train to Logrono is leaving from MADRID-PUERTA DE ATOCHA. My plan is to take the train from the airport to Atocha and stay at a hotel close by Atocha.

On the other way from Palencia, most of the trains stops at MADRID-CHAMARTIN. Then I probably take a taxi to the airport because I probably will arrive late. I will then stay at a hostal or similar at the aiport and take the early flight back home.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back