• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino From Lourdes to Irun: vamos a Santiago!

S

Satírico

12 days since my arrival in France and, at last, SPAIN!

The Camino del Norte, overcast and rainy though it may be, begins tomorrow. Passing through SJPDP was a day of joy and melancholy, the latter because I wasn´t set to join the happy band of pilgrims heading to Roncesvalles. I took the opportunity to dump my 65 (+5) litre rucksack and send my wool-lined raincoat home. When the assistant announced the grand total for a new lightweight rainjacket and Osprey 48 rucksack, I justblocked my ears and handed over the credit card.

For anyone interested in the chemin de piedmont,all I can say is that from Lourdes (in April) it´s rather lonely and also quite dangerous. The thick mud sliding down the hill and also the narrow track descending fast and sheer better suited to mountain goats. I met 3 pilgrims at accommodation but never saw anyone walkingmy way. I´d say it is harder than anything on the CF.

But, what scenery!

Oloron Saint Marie is a lovely town and Bidarray offers a superb panorama of the Basque Country. One other thing: Pays Basque is the land of no people and lots of angry, barking dogs. Be sure to carry trekking poles. if not a tranquilizer gun. Also, French villages often have no amenities and don´t expect to see any fuentes.

I must sign out before Itime out!

Buen Camino,

Phil

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That sounds like an interesting start to your Camino! Good luck on the Norte and Primitivo - hopefully it will be a little less challenging.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.