A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

From Lourdes to Jaca - any advice highly appreciated:)

2020 Camino Guides

bogusia

Hello,

I'm considering a short Camino from Lourdes to Jaca and would really appreciate some advice. :) From reading the posts on this forum and having a look at Gronze my understanding is that it takes around 7 days. I'm just wondering if this is doeable in late November/early December when it comes to weather conditions and availability of accommodation?
Any advice, tips and personal experience from walking this route highly appreciated! :)

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
LePuy, Frances, Aragones, Ingles, Vezelay, Toulosana, Muxia, Fisterra, Portugues, Sanabres
Seven days would be too short for me, but it is a great route. If it has been raining a lot, the route from Lourdes can be a swamp in the low areas! Have fun!

Felipe

Veteran Member
I can tell you only about the Lourdes-Oloron traject (I continued to Saint Jean Pied de Port). I did it in late September, and some sections were quite muddy -and there are some steep descents. In many parts there are two routes -the jacobean and the GRs. Avoid the latter -more scenic, but much more difficult, and lonely. It is possible to go from Lourdes to Oloron by the paved roads (local roads, with scarce traffic, actually quite nice); consider it as a "plan B", and carry a map.
Make reservations whenever possible -in winter, it is no joke arriving to a place to discover that there are not beds available or the albergue is closed because it is "off season".
Buen camino!

Last edited:

O Peracha

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago (2014)
Annapurna Base, Nepal (2014)
GR 5 - Holland to Pompey, France (2015)
Lisbon to Finesterre (2016)
I did this in 7 days as part of a longer camino, this May. On the French side, call ahead to make sure gites are open and if restaurant or grocery store available otherwise you're going to have to carry your food.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Walked Jaca to Lourdes in early May, 2019. Even during the “normal” walking season, trail conditions, food availability, and lodging was a bit difficult. A beautiful route worth walking, but you definitely need to plan and prepare a bit more than on the Frances.

Weather can definitely be an issue over the Somport Pass (they put ski resorts there for a reason!). Gronze.com covers the Piemont and Aragon routes, so check that site out (use Chrome to translate to English).

If you’d like to read my wife’s blog on that route, PM me.

donalomahony

Camino(s) past & future
"Camino Frances" 2013, "Burgos to Leon," February 2014 - "Frances" June '14
Hi @bogusia Check if the heavy rain has passed through. It could be v muddy underfoot. I can only speak of Lourdes to Oloron S Marie. In Summer Albergues are thin enough on the ground so check ahead. Towns will have shops but the small
French village will have little, if in luck a bakery...

jennysa

Camino(s) past & future
Camino F 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 C Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016 & 17 Primitivo 2018
I have walked that route twice. 7 days is doable. My advice is to stay off the paths and walk along the roads. That is What I did the second time and enjoyed it far more. You see so much more and avoid muddy paths. We had snow on top of Somport path in May. If it is impassable you can always take the bus through the tunnel.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
It's a beautiful route!
Joe and I walked it in 2012.
It took us 7 days but you do need to plan ahead.
And because of the deep mud, we skipped a bit.
I don't think I"d want to walk it in the winter.

Here is a link to our blog.

AlwynWellington

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
please see signature
My advice is to stay off the paths and walk along the roads. That is What I did the second time and enjoyed it far more. You see so much more and avoid muddy paths.
Great advice @jennysa . For similar reasons I generally walk the roads. In addition, if trail signage is lacking, the road signage more than makes up the lack.

Kia kaha

Anthony Rocco

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2014, Ignaciano +Aragones +Parts of Frances 2016, Salvador, Primitivo, Ingles (2017)
Hello,

I'm considering a short Camino from Lourdes to Jaca and would really appreciate some advice. :) From reading the posts on this forum and having a look at Gronze my understanding is that it takes around 7 days. I'm just wondering if this is doeable in late November/early December when it comes to weather conditions and availability of accommodation?
Any advice, tips and personal experience from walking this route highly appreciated! :)
We did a very long walk three years ago starting in Lourdes, then continuing on the Aragones all the way to the Frances, then to Logrono, then on the Ignaciano all the way to Barcelona. The walk from Lourdes was lovely and we had no particular issues. You can do this easily in a week. Here's our itinerary:

Sunday, September 4
Asson, 23.4 km, 6 hours walking. Stop at Lestelle-Betharam to see the grottoes, 15.5km from Lourdes. 0vernight at Gites accueil Saint Jacques, only for pelerins, 05 59 71 04 83. Very small, must reserve in advance. Other options: see guidebook. Monday, September 5
Bescat, 22.4km, 6 hours walking. Overnight at Chambres d’hotes Le Balcon de L’Ossau, 17, rue de Bourg, 05 59 21 05 46, chambres-hotes-ossau.fr or Chambres d’hotes Aux pieds des pics, 15, rue de Bourg, 05 59 05 22 68, auxpiedsdespics.com. Other options: see guidebook. Tuesday, September 6
Oloron St. Marie, 24.8km, 6 hours walking, overnight at Accueil Pelerins le Relais du Bastet, 12 Place de la Resistance, phone: 06-44-80-70-96. If full, try Hotel Restaurant de France, 21 Avenue Sadi-Carnot, tourisme64@orange.fr, phone: 05-59-39-01-63.
Visit Quartier Cathedrale S. Marie and Eglise Sainte-Croix. Dinner at La Part des Anges, 13, Place Catedrale or Creperie La Goguille, 18 Place St. Pierre Wednesday, September 7
Sarrance, 22km, 5 hours. Stay at Monastery hostel, phone 05 59 34 47 78. Also accueil pellerin d’Accueil Notre-Dame, 05 59 34 71 17. Maybe a better bet with 20 places. Also L’auberge de Sarrance, aubergesarrance@yahoo.fr. Phone 05 59 34 56 92.
If nice day, and walking fast, could go 5.5 km more to Bedous (Gite Moulin d’Orcin or Gite Le Rucher). Thursday, September 8
Borce, 23km, 5 hours. Stay at Gite d’Etape communal, 05 59 34 86 40, lecommunal64@gmail.com or Auberge Le Toison d’Or, 05 59 34 57 12, aubergetoisondor.com
If walked farther previous day, can walk to Urdus, 26.5km. Gite Communal, 055939386, lecompostelle_urdus@operamail.com. There is also a good size albergue just across the Spain border, Refuge Aysa, aysa.somport@gmail.com Friday, September 9
Canfranc Estacion, 22km
Albergue Rio Aragon, Avenida de los Aranones, 10 euro
Albergue de Canfranc Estacion, Plaza del Pilar, 2, 11 euro
Albergue Pepito Grillo, Avenida Fernando el Catolico, 2, 12 euro
Or…if walked farther previous days, could go to Villanua, 21.8km Albergue de jerunesse Santa Maria del Pila, 974 378 016, Albergue de Villenua, Camino de la Selva, 18, alberguevillanua.es 608 642 745, or Castiello de Jaca, 29km, Casa La Englata, Raquelle, Calle La Fuente 11, 627 031 828 or 974 350 027.
Saturday, September 10
Jaca, 24km
Go to the Oficina de Turismo, Plaza de San Pedro, 11-13. Hours open: 9-1:30, 4:30-7:30 to check on bus to San Juan de la Pena AND whether possible to take route north of Rio Aragon. See the Cathedral of S. Pedro, and the adjacent Diocesan Museum of Romanesque Painting, a MUST visit. If time, also Iglesia Santiago and Benedictine Convent.
Albergue Municipal, Calle Conde Aznar, 9, 10 euro; Albergue Juvenil Escuelas Pias, Avenida Perimetral, 2, 15 EU ; Albergue Turistico Casa Mamre, Calle de Arco, 1, 11 EU

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 48 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 282 24.3%