• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Madrid Airport To Tres Cantos In The Evening?

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
I will arrive in Madrid on the 23rd April, landing at 6.30pm with Ryanair and am looking at the option of starting in Tres Cantos (the Holiday Inn is cheap on the 23rd!!) Without using taxis, what would be the best way to get from the airport to Tres at the time of the evening, please?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks. I think with each passing year, working out what should be a very simple thing for an ex-Head of Computer Science gets harder and harder! It looks like there are plenty of trains running so will train it to Tres Cantos on the 23rd and start the walk to Finisterre from there on the 24th April this time, rather than walking out of Madrid. It's not unpleasant leaving Madrid, but not exactly a highlight either. Time to get the packing list I made for myself last year printed off - I knew then that I would forget all the things I should and shouldn't take!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/what-to-pack-foe-a-may-camino.33891/

Two weeks three days to go ...

Looking forward to your daily postings. At least I hope you'll post them ;)

I will arrive in Madrid on the 23rd April, landing at 6.30pm with Ryanair and am looking at the option of starting in Tres Cantos (the Holiday Inn is cheap on the 23rd!!) Without using taxis, what would be the best way to get from the airport to Tres at the time of the evening, please?

Avoiding a taxi would be a smart move. I took the taxi from Madrid to Tres Cantos last year and paid 50€! But I needed to be there quickly so the taxi was my best option (took 30 minutes or so).

Hope you find a great train route. Buen Camino!
Take care,
Faith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks. I'm looking forward to writing a daily blog. As I want to try and stay in places I didn't stay in two years ago, I think I will take the train a bit further, to Colmenar Viejo, which I just walked through last time round but was quite pretty. That means for the first day, I can stay in the albergue in Mataelpino, and then have a nice walk to Cercidilla and stay in the fabulous Hostel Aribel Longinos, or maybe the Youth Hostel. From there, I'm going to stay in the place whose name I can't remember, but has a palace garden, rather than try the long long long walk to Segovia again, nice as it is!

...From there, I'm going to stay in the place whose name I can't remember, but has a palace garden, rather than try the long long long walk to Segovia again, nice as it is!
That would be La Granja de San Ildefonso I guess, few kilometers after Valsain.

Ah yes, Thanks. I've just sent off an email to albergue Camino de Lis to see if they are open and to reserve a bed on the 26th :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Undermanager I'll be following in your footsteps starting 4 May so hugely looking forward to up to the minute info. I'll start walking from city centre though, unless my plane into Madrid that morning is delayed.

Sounds good. The only bugger is I'm having root canal on a tooth 4 days before going! Just hope all goes well. The walk out of Madrid to Tres Cantos is quite a long first day but is fun in its own way. There's something about leaving a big city and entering semi-countryside. I remember from last time quite a bit of pounding on tarmac and since my feet weren't used to it, they hurt for many days after. From Tres Cantos, you are walking on dirt roads a lot more, so easier on the feet. The idea this time is to stay in places I didn't stay last time, except for the few places I really liked, like hostel Aribel Longinos in Cercedilla - had a really fun drunken night followed by a fabulous blue sky day but a killer of a long walk into Segovia.

HI Undermanager I'll be on the Camino Madrid. I start out on 17th Apr you never know our paths might cross. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Quite possible! Today was spent getting the routes sorted and summarising where to stay on the Caminos Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo and onwards to Santiago and getting the notes in pdf form on the mobile phone. The trial pack is complete and am ready to go! The only decision left is where to stay the first night, Tres Cantos or Colmenar Viejo. I prefer the second option so I can have an easy first day to the albergue in Mataelpino although at a push I could get there from Tres. I remember last time it was quite a long hot walk just to get to Manzanares.

Have looked on Booking.com but any cheapy recommendations for Colmenar Viejo - it appears to not have an albergue?

Personal recommendations for Colmenar anyone?

So lucky! This is going to be a good Camino - I can feel it already. The UK Government announces a general election, and I'm going to be away for all of it. Happy Days.

:):):):):):):):):)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks. I'm looking forward to writing a daily blog. As I want to try and stay in places I didn't stay in two years ago, I think I will take the train a bit further, to Colmenar Viejo, which I just walked through last time round but was quite pretty. That means for the first day, I can stay in the albergue in Mataelpino, and then have a nice walk to Cercidilla and stay in the fabulous Hostel Aribel Longinos, or maybe the Youth Hostel. From there, I'm going to stay in the place whose name I can't remember, but has a palace garden, rather than try the long long long walk to Segovia again, nice as it is!

Greetings Undermanager. I arrive in Madrid on Thursday April 27 and head out the following Monday. I will look forward to your blog (no pressure) if I can manage a truce with my i-devices. Kind regards, Steve

Not long to go now. Will set off from the UK on Sunday and arrive early evening at Madrid airport. Still haven't decided whether to stay in the albergue in Tres Cantos, stay in a hotel in Colmenar or just be a bum and sleep under a tree. decisions decisions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Undermanager I'll be following in your footsteps starting 4 May so hugely looking forward to up to the minute info. I'll start walking from city centre though, unless my plane into Madrid that morning is delayed.
You could walk from the airport!!

:eek:

Yes, I did look at that but won't leave the airport until 7 ish in the evening. Bus 827 goes straight to Tres from T4 at a quarter to the hour on Sundays so that is looking favourite, or maybe the train. Need to take it easy for the first few days as the training program has fallen by the wayside. Talking of which, must dash. Off to pub ....

:eek:

Yes, I did look at that but won't leave the airport until 7 ish in the evening. Bus 827 goes straight to Tres from T4 at a quarter to the hour on Sundays so that is looking favourite, or maybe the train. Need to take it easy for the first few days as the training program has fallen by the wayside. Talking of which, must dash. Off to pub ....
Uhhh, better check opening hours for Tres Cantos Ayto.!!! And it's Sunday when you are coming there. Don't think it will work out. Better be prepared or head for Colmenar right away.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks. Good job you are looking out for me or I would have been on a park bench tomorrow! Have booked into Hostel Tres Cantos for the night rather than faff about with unknowns on a Sunday evening so all is good and I can have a few hours relaxing over dinner in the evening. Will decide Monday whether to walk from Tres or hop on a train to Colmenar and start from there. So 12 hours to go and we're off ...

Thanks. Good job you are looking out for me or I would have been on a park bench tomorrow! Have booked into Hostel Tres Cantos for the night rather than faff about with unknowns on a Sunday evening so all is good and I can have a few hours relaxing over dinner in the evening. Will decide Monday whether to walk from Tres or hop on a train to Colmenar and start from there. So 12 hours to go and we're off ...
I really envy you very much :D

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back