• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Madrid in mid of May. A lot of questions.

LNata

I am planning to start my first Camino in the mid of May from Madrid. This forum is great and I am reading it for a week already in any spare minute.

1. Since I don't have such luxury as a five-six weeks of vacation, and I am afraid that making my day by longer walk rather then by speed, I would left outside all aubergue on CF. So I am thinking about avoiding it by going only partly on Camino Madrid and then after Segovia, making a shortcut St.Maria Nivea to Arevalo (about 30km), continue to Zamora using Camino Levante to it's end and then continue on Camino Santabres or Querense version of Via de la Plata (as shown on http://www.americanpilgrims.com/camino/ ... views.html maps - the shortcut is at the place where 6 and 7 comes closest to each other). This gives all together about 655km on foot in 24 or max 28 days - probably not possible for me but I like to try and go as far as I can.

Do you think it is reasonable or will I straggle to find the way and risk to loose more then gain? Do you think it would be better go to Shahagun and hope that Frances will not be to overcrouded in end of May, start of June?

2. Which map would be the lightest and most reasonable if any? I can take a small GPS with me and print out the way on a list of paper but don't want to carry a lot of guide books.

3. Most advises on packing are given for Camino Frances and most people tell that therm-a-rest is not needed. But CF has much advanced infrastructure (but a larger amount of people is expected than on all other caminos as well). Please help me to decide if I should take the sleeping mat (460g) with me? I was also thinking about bivi-bag (400g) in case I would not be able to find place to sleep inside or caught by night in the middle of nowhere. Is it any reasonable? I do think that should take my lightweight sleeping bag (620g) since I tend to get cold at nights and after been cold in sleep I get sick easily.

4. In order to book flight, it would be good to know where I can take a peregrines pass in Madrid. The Amigos office works only on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings plus Wednesday mornings. If I will arrive to Madrid on Friday evening, it will be not an option. As I understood it can be taken in churches but at which time then? Early morning, late evening? And whom should I as for it? And if I will arrive on Wednesday afternoon - it is sure that someone will be in the Amigos office or is it better to call in advance?

5. Where do you carry your documents, cards and money during the walk? Belly pouch is convenient and I use it during my business trips but mine pouch does not fit together with mine back pack! :(

I know it is a lot of words but I hope you will find time to read and answer at least some of the questions!

Natalia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm afraid I can only answer your last question. I used a 'belly pouch' with my backpack. I stretched the strap as far as it would go, and slung it over my head and one arm, so it went from one shoulder to the opposite waist. Very usefully keeping all the essentials handy!

Attachments

• slung bag.JPG
    slung bag.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 4,704
Hi Natalia,

I know several pilgrims, spanish pilgrims, who have tried to walk from the Camino de Madrid to the Camino del Sureste. It's exactly NO marked.

May be if you want to walk the Camino del Sureste you can begin in Toledo. And, if you want some help, please contact me because I know the head of the Segovian Association and may be he has some ideas to do that. But, I repeat it, it's no easy.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
alipilgrim, thanks for your reply. I will consider such solution. And the photo is BEUATIFUL!

Javier, I was hoping for your answer, to be honest :)

Sure, I will be happy if there is some known solution for such "hopping". I have looked on the maps and it looks that one can walk along CL-605 from Santa María la Real de Nieva to Arévalo and the distance is about 30km (long but should be ok for one day).
http://maps.google.es/maps?f=d&source=s ... 26907&z=11

Sitting home it looks as a possibility but, of course, on the road it can be different. If you or Head of Segovia Amigos will strongly advise against walking this part, I can consider some bus/car riding for this part. I want to visit Segovia very much after I have seen photos of it so I do want to walk throug it and it is one of main reasons for starting from Madrid.

Also can you please bring a bit of light to the process of obtaining credencial? Is it possible to ask Amigos about sending some uptoday information as well? I have almost decided to start on Saturday, May 8 which means I will most possibly arrive in Madrid Friday very late.

Hello Natalia,

I only read when I have enough time, I'm always storing the daily phorum sendings and I read it when I take some free minutes. So, the fastest way to meet me is by a PM, I'm afraid.

In my opinion you have choosen a good option, a very quiet road with some services (three populations). And, 30 km is not too much, it's easy to walk it in just one day.

I will ask Ramón if exist some option better than the one you have choosen. And, about the credential, it's possible to obtain in the Madrid's association but they are not opened on friday. If there is not other options, may be I can give one to you, but today I don't know if I will be in Madrid in this weekend. It's too early for that.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Natalia,

You don't say where you are from, but have you tried to get a Credencial thru your home country's Pilgrim Association? Most countries have one. Else you can order one from the Confraternity of St. James in the UK. Just check out their website. This way you would have it in hand when arriving in Madrid.

alipilgrim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Alipilgrim,

I am Russian living in Germany. I do not belong to any church or Pilgrim Association (I do have my beliefs but don't want to discuss it here), so I am afraid that for me this would not be a wise option as I don't want to pay a lot of money for it (all this fees for joining it, etc).

Natalia.

We also arrived at the wrong time to visit the Amigos office. We already had our credencials, but did start our camino from Madrid at the Santiago church and the priest we met there offered to provide us with a credencial, so it's possible for you to get one there.

Parroquia De Santiago Y San Juan Bautista
Calle de Santiago, 24, 28013 Madrid, Spain
91 548 08 24‎

Hope this helps, and buen camino!

lynne

Attachments

• Church of Santiago Madrid.jpg
    Church of Santiago Madrid.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 4,369
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
LNata said:
Thanks Lynne, this looks as the most possible option for me.

Natalia

Hi Natalia,

In my opinion the best option is the one you have chosen. Ramon knows another one but is not signed and in my opinion is easy to get lost.

If you can confirm me your exact journey walking this etapa I will tell him.

Buen Camino!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Javier, I will do this. I am still not 100% sure on which day I will start from home and I how long will it take for me to reach this shortcut part.. when I will book tickets, I will contact you by PM.

Thanks for your support!

Natalia.

lynnejohn said:
We also arrived at the wrong time to visit the Amigos office. We already had our credencials, but did start our camino from Madrid at the Santiago church and the priest we met there offered to provide us with a credencial, so it's possible for you to get one there.

Parroquia De Santiago Y San Juan Bautista
Calle de Santiago, 24, 28013 Madrid, Spain
91 548 08 24‎

Hope this helps, and buen camino!

lynne

Hola - I was in this church just before New year and the priest was extremely friendly and offered a credencial and sello.

Attachments

• santiago madrid.JPG
    santiago madrid.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 4,162
  • santiago madrid1.JPG
    santiago madrid1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 4,167
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Jonnie Walker. Now I will find this church for sure :)

I have booked both vacation and tickets. Decided that leaving on Friday will be too much for my employer :) So will arrive in Madrid on Saturday at ca. 10am and planning to start from Fuencarral on the same day around noon. Does it have sense to book something in COLMENAR VIEJO in advance as it looks that I will be there quite late that day?

Will appreciate any hints about possible cheap accomodations on a way till Segovia. Of course, I am aready checking Mundicamino site as well as CSJ Camino Madrig guide.

Two places I know of in Colmenar Viejo:

Hostal Chaveli (91 8451165)

Hostal el Chiscon (34 918452847)

We stayed in Hostal el Chiscon and it was very nice.

lynne

lynnejohn said:
Two places I know of in Colmenar Viejo:

Hostal Chaveli (91 8451165)

Hostal el Chiscon (34 918452847)

We stayed in Hostal el Chiscon and it was very nice.

lynne

It looks that the Hostal Chaveli is run by a woman who walked the Camino several years ago. I will sent to you by a PM her mobile phone, to make you easier to meet her if this is the one you choose.

But, in the same day I don't know if it's too much beginning walking so late and arriving to Colmenar. Yellow arrows are not easy to be found in darkness.

About the church of Santiago, it's not far from the Royal Palace, very well known for everybody in Madrid.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Less then one week before my first Camino. Backpack is almost packed, guide/maps studied and I am eager to go. Nervous, of course, and still have some questions not answered.

Should I pack my sleeping mat or should I leave it home? I know, this question was discussed hundreds times but what is situation on this Holy Year so far? With planned arrival to Santiago in the first days of June - will I be too risky to go without it? It is lightweight but still this is almost half a kilo. To take or not to take, this is a question.

As I will start on Saturday from Madrid, should I book an accommodation for the first night in advance? Arriving at around 10am, obtaining credencial, starting quite late and not knowing Madrid, I am in doubts about how far would I manage on the first day...

Natalia.

LNata said:
...As I will start on Saturday from Madrid, should I book an accommodation for the first night in advance? Arriving at around 10am, obtaining credencial, starting quite late and not knowing Madrid, I am in doubts about how far would I manage on the first day...
Natalia.

Hi, Natalia,

Arriving without credencial on Saturday at 10:00, almost impossible to be in the Iglesia de Santiago before 11:00. And, again in Plaza de Castilla before 12:00 ...

So, you have two choices in my opinion: 1) to stay the whole Saturday in Madrid and beginning walking on Sunday: Madrid (Plaza de Castilla) - Colmenar Viejo and on Monday Colmenar - Cercedilla. 2) To begin walking on the same Saturday Plaza de Castilla - Tres Cantos, may be on Sunday Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real and on Monday Manzanares el Real - Cercedilla.

The first option, with longer walking days. The second, with less kilometres everyday. But, even being possible, on saturday, to walk until Colmenar Viejo, may be you will arrive quite late.

In Tres Cantos is not easy to look for a cheat accomodation. Only walking by the city and trying to look for a cheap place. May be it's possible for me to help you about, but not before one or two days.

No albergue in Madrid, Tres Cantos, Colmenar ... only a youth one in Cercedilla. If you are there on monday evening, it will be possible for me to go to meet you and to share a beer with you. I'm afraid not possible during the weekend!

Buen Camino!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Thanks, Javier Martin.

I think that the second option with first day to Tres Cantos is more realistic and will follow it. If no cheap accomodation find there (and all your suggestions will be highly welcome), always can try come back to Madrid for the night though it is also no very cheap :)

And I woud love to share a beer with you. Only I don't want to stay in Madrid till Monday evening :( Hope to be in Cercedilla by then. Would be great to see you there or there is still a way back via Madrid as a chance :wink:

Natalia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Natalia

You can download an up to date guide here: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm It has lots of information on accommodation along this route. For myself I'd avoid staying in Tres Cantos either by returning to Madrid or by starting at the Plza de Catillas has been suggested or Fuencarral both reachable by Metro.

My own view on your other question is that you won't need a sleeping mat on this route at this time of the year.

Let us know how you get on please.

Buen Camino

John

JohnnieWalker said:
Hi Natalia

Buen Camino

John

Hi Natalia,

I was talking with Rasanca, the person who best knows the Caminos in Segovia, about walking from the Camino de Madrid to the Camino del Sureste. Please confirm me which is going to be your Camino to call him again. It looks that there's an option, but not marked.

About next monday, I will go where you are, much easier for me by car than for you by public transport. My problem is that I will not be available during the weekend.

I will send you by a PM my telephone number. And, I'm trying to know if exists a cheap pension in Tres Cantos (my sister lives there, and she is also pilgrim) to give you another option.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

JohnnieWalker said:
You can download an up to date guide ... It has lots of information on accommodation along this route. John

Thanks, John!

I will make a last minute updates for my guides set. And I will NOT take the sleeping mat - my back will tell thanks, I guess :)

Natalia.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Javier Martin said:
Please confirm me which is going to be your Camino to call him again. It looks that there's an option, but not marked.

About next monday, I will go where you are, much easier for me by car than for you by public transport. My problem is that I will not be available during the weekend.

My plans are the same - Camino Madrid and then Camino Levante/Sureste to avoid (presumably) large traffic of Camino Frances. I think I will stick to the CL-605 from Santa María la Real de Nieva to Arévalo as I think it will be easier not to get lost there. And I would be very-very glad to see you and chat with you during my Camino :)

Natalia.

It looks that there's no places in Tres Cantos. Well, there's some hotels, but much more expensives because the normal customer is people who goes to the town just for working.

So, best option if you want to walk to Tres Cantos the first day can be to return to Madrid and back next day to continue walking.

Tres Cantos is a modern, urban city, just for people who works in Madrid and prefer to live far from the "big city". As Colmenar is a much older town, is more possible to find where to sleep in a "pilgrim" way.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
MAdrid, Spain.

Hi, Javier.

Just wanted to let you know, that I have walked this "shortcut" between two Caminos and it worked out pretty well. It was very easy to find the way in Santa María la Real de Nieva (Camino Madrid is following it for a while) and then I walked all time along the road to Arévalo. The road is not so empty and there were quite a few of trucks (not very pleasant when the wind after them passing you tries to blow you out of road) but otherwise no problems. One driver even stopped to talk with me to ask about the way (said that he had seen me on his way to work and stopped on his way back at lunch time). On the entrance to Arevalo, I had to cross a highway by a bridge for cars with two rounds about (not dangerous as almost no cars) and pedestrian sidewalk on the bridge itself. And after the second round about I had to "jump" above little barrier and pass trough a little "tunnel" to use old bridge instead of climbing a new one. And then it was pretty easy to find the Camino once again. I had a note for myself "In Arevalo, approximately 1k after crossing bridge, turn right to Calle del Arco de Avilia in direction of Parroquia De Santo Domingo De Silos". That worked and I even had a very nice Menu del Dia for 8.5 euros in one of restaurants on the street after the bridge, which is "out of beaten paths" part of Arevalo. :) And a cup of tea and a piece of cake in the restaurant at one of central square (near Parroquia) cost 7 euros.

Natalia.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Natalia, ¡the yours are good news!

A week ago I also was walking from Cercedilla to Segovia with my sister and another friend.

I hope you have enjoyed the whole Camino, it looks a good new choice for pilgrims from Madrid!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.