• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Manchester to SJPDP, how I did it

kerdi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte at the moment, Camino Frances, Camino Ingles in 2013 - 2014, Camino Lebaniego
I have started my Camino this April. I live in the North East of England. So I looked for a way to travel to SJPP without going to an airport in the south of England. :p
I also did not like the idea to travel from Pamplona to SJPDP, just to walk back over the next few days.

I found another route via Manchester and Bilbao. :p
Spain and France have different gauges for their railway systems and there are only very few direct trains from northern Spain to Biarritz or Bayonne. So I choose bus connections to France.

This is what I researched and did:

Flight from Manchester to Bilbao with easyjet Flight 1877. (Tuesday, Friday, Sunday) Departure at 07:40, arrival 10:50

I could not find a Cash machine in the arrival area at Bilbao airport. Therefore it is quite handy to bring a few Euro coins with you for the shuttle bus to Bilbao.

Take the airport shuttle bus "Bizkaibus (Linea A3247) to the Bus Terminal "Termibus". The A3247 runs every 30 minutes or so. The costs are € 1:40. There is free WiFi access on board and a display shows life arrivals and departures during the trip

Termibus Bilbao find more information at the Bilbao Tourism Office http://www2.bilbao.net/bilbaoturismo/ingles/cllegar/cllap3.htm Facilities: There are cash machines, a coffee shop-bar, convenience store and a number of homeless asking for "change". Public toilets are provided, but quite basic.
In all fairness a safe place with security around. You will most certainly bump into a few other pilgrims. As I traveled there most went to Pamplona, two to Irun to start the Camino del Norte.
"Below" the Termibus bus terminal (build on a hill slope) is a street with a number of shops, takeaway, bar. The "Pili Pili" hostel around the corner, 5 minutes appears to be always sold out (not a pilgrims hostel).

Bustickets for ALSA /PESA buses can be purchased at the companies counter at Termibus, at vending machines at Termibus, or online. You can reserve your seat (free)

BILBAO Termibus: you have the following options:

In summer:
1. ALSA direct to Bayonne/Bayona, up to four busses a day, € 17 - 55 morning/afternoon evening). See http://www.ALSA.es for "International Services, english website,
2. PESA direct to Bayonne. Two buses at 07:30 and 13:00. http://www.pesa.es

All year
Bus to Irun. Take then the Metro to Hendaye and the French train to Bayonne
3. ALSA bus Bilbao - Irun, about ten buses per day, the most useful one would be the 14:00 (sunday) or 14:15 other days. € 8 - 17 depending if express or normal bus (14:00 and 14:15 are €8)
ALSA buses have free WiFi access on board, two music channels and TV which shows video clips and your current position on a map. Have your earphones at hand!

The final stop on this line is in front of the Irun railway station.

You can check all current bus time tables on the Termibus website: search (english) http://www.termibus.es/horarios.php?buscar=1&idi=en

Irun Railway station:
take Euskotren trena; line "Lasarte-Hendaia" for a five minute ride to Hendaye/Hendaia SNCF railway station
Trains run 3-4 times per hour (depending on rush hour and weekend, weekdays 06:28 - 22:18, weekends/holidays 07:49 - 22:18, Saturday to Sunday night service hourly at xx:48) between Irun and Hendaye
Find train time tables "horario habituale" at: http://www.euskotren.es/es/viaja/horarios/tren It is a bilingual webpage: Spanish and Basque

Alternative: 6km -one hour walk on pavement from Irun to Hendaye, if weather is fine a wonderful walk along the road. Nice views.

In Hendaye purchase ticket for regional train to Bayonne
SNCF: http://www.sncf.com find timetables and purchase tickets in advance.
There is an option for an English version of the webpage; navigate to”passengers”
(Ticket 2nd class ~ € 10) Train times (regional train) 14:51 - 15:28; 15:44 - 16:21; 16:47 - 17:22; 17:15 - 17:51; 19:41 - 20:17

Bayonne
to St Jean Pied de Port €14:90, using SNCF (Train or bus replacement service)
14:55 - 16:14; 21:10 - 22:28. Bus departure is located in front of the railway station, on parking area left from the main entrance as you leave the station.
If you have to wait in the evening you might want to stay in a group or better inside the station building The place in front of the station is populated with a number of homeless, a few of which can be quite drunk and provocative at later hours. The SNCF station has a visible security presence and is "no go area"

After arrival in St Jean Pied de Port I went immediately to the Pilgrims Office. They wait until after the last train arrives. They gave me the first sello – stamp in my credentials and helped with advice and a place in a hostel! (Pilgrims' office in SJPdP: Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle, if you come from the railway station, that is the steep street up the hill to the castle. There is a stair and access through the medievial city walls. In season is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h {practical: they wait about 30 mins after the last train}.Telephone is 05 59 37 05 09.

The travel details are given to my best knowledge, rather check them online before you travel! :!:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the information! We are going to SJPP from York :) Working out the return from Logrono back to Bayonne and this is quite helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back