• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Paris CDG on to SJPP

heatherrnw

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: April 2012; Future: June/July 2017
I've read over other threads but am still a bit confused about how to get to SJPP from Paris CDG. I've looked at the train, a few different sights, and none appear to go to SJ from there. Can anyone tell me the name of the train station to go to so that I CAN catch a train to go to SJPP? I'm guessing I will have to take a taxi to get to it.

I've also looked at flights, but the only one I've found that is a decent price is Easyjet. There is only 1 leaving at 4:20 pm and getting to Biarritz at 6 pm. Then the next train would be at 7:20 to Bayonne then on to SJPP, getting there at 10:30 pm. My plane gets into CDG at 7 am. Not sure I want to sit in the airport for so long and get off the plane so late then hop on a train. I think it might be better to take the train, even for an 8 hour ride.

I am considering perhaps staying in Paris the day I arrive then taking the train to SJPP the next day. I would stay in SJ that night then get up the next morning to start on the Camino. Either way, I can't seem to find what the train station is called so I can try to book a ticket.

Thanks in advance for all insight,

Heather

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Heather your post is a little confusing. However I assume that you fly into Paris and then have to decide whether to get to Bayonne directly by train or by Easyjet to Biaritz?

There will be some sort of shuttle service to Paris from CDG and from the terminus station you can take the Paris Metro to the station from which the train to Bayonne goes. Gare du Nord I believe but you would need to check with the train company. There are plenty of Paris Metro maps on the Internet.

To get the train information for France type SNCF into google.

If you go to Biaritz there is a bus directly from the airport to the station at Bayonne from which, as you say, you can get to SJPP.

I have travelled to SJPP from Paris by train and while the journey was straightforward it was a long one though not tiring. If it gets you into SJPP not to late in the evening it might be a good option.

I arrived at 18.00 local time and was able to start walking the next day. In fact after the train journey I was desperate to stretch aching muscles.

Have you thought that you could stay in a hotel in either Biaritz or Bayonne? You might find one cheaper than Paris. A pre-booked hotel in SJPP would not be put out if you arrived late though getting into a refugio might be more difficult.

Depending on how you sleep you can then decide whether to walk the next day or have a day of rest in SJPP (or Bayonne or Biaritz!)

Sometimes the getting in and out of the Camino is the most frustrating part of the journey.

Hi Heather, I'm not sure if this is what you're after but what we are doing is we fly into CDG and are catching the TGV train from the CDG airport station. Which is apparently below the terminal we arrive at. The TGV will take us to Bayonne and we will get the local train SNCF? to SJPDP.
Cheers Sharni

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last year, I flew into Paris CDG, spent one night in Paris with a friend, then caught the train from Paris to Bayonne, spent the night at a couchsurfer's, then took the bus from Bayonne to SJPdP. I started walking the following day. Because of this, I had no jetlag and was completely rested to start the Camino. It also allowed me some time to walk around SJPdP and buy some Compeed, get food for the following day, and just relax.

I used the RailEurope site, which has gotten mixed reviews here due to higher prices, however they were wonderful to deal with and everything is in English. Also, keep in mind, last year there was no train to SJPdP, now there is. This should make things easier for you. Just buy a ticket from Paris to SJPdP, knowing you may go through Bordeaux or Bayonne to get there.

My only piece of advice if you stay in Paris for a night then catch a train the following morning, make sure you go to the RIGHT train station. I didn't and almost missed my train to Bayonne! Luckily, I had a Parisian with me and he took care of me.

Hope that helps. Google is your friend!

If you haven't already made you reservations you might want to look into the possibility of flying into Biarritz instead of CDG. The extra cost vs the cost of taking the train from CDG might be about the same.

Sorry everyone.. not quite on topic, but I have a related question. I will be arriving at CDG at 9.45pm on a Saturday night and will need to find somewhere to spend the night before I catch a train on to Le Puy en Velay the next day. I am having problems finding somewhere affordable to stay the night that I can easily get to late at night (assuming it may take an hour or so to clear the airport). While some of the cheaper hotels have shuttles, many seem to finish at about 10.30 and reviews of others indicate that they can be difficult to find. I would be tempted to just try and sleep at the airport but googling suggests that CDG is not a good airport to do this in. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sharni said:
Hi Heather, I'm not sure if this is what you're after but what we are doing is we fly into CDG and are catching the TGV train from the CDG airport station. Which is apparently below the terminal we arrive at. The TGV will take us to Bayonne and we will get the local train SNCF? to SJPDP.
Cheers Sharni

That's the best way to do it if you choose the train.
You will need a reservation.
When asked for ''place of departure'', you must state ''CDG2'' and not Paris.
I believe there is a train leaving around 09h00, with transfers in Bordeaux and Bayonne. Total time of travel is around 10 hours.

Bon voyage!
Jean-Marc

If the TVG to Bayonne goes directly from CDG then I personally would get on it.

Sharni if you have weblinks to a booking site I think Heather would find them useful if you posted them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What I would do is find an airport hotel, such as this one http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-1404- ... ndex.shtml and spend a few hours there before the EasyJet flight. You can then get a hotel in Bayonne (instead of taking the late train to SJP) & see SJP in the daytime, as well as get caught up on jet-lag.

There are several hotels in/around CDG that offer "day rates" but as far as I know, only the Sheraton (which is IN the airport) actually posts them online. When I stayed at the Ibis Terminal in 2009, there were no day rates posted on the website; however, when I got there, they had a banner outside offering up to 6 hours for 30 Euro. I would contact the hotel directly & ask about day rates.

on edit: while the Ibis is a basic hotel (on par with Red Roof Inns in the US), you can't beat having your own room, shower, TV for a few hours, plus you can get there free by using the CDGval (follow the signs in the airport). The CDGval ends at a metro/bus station, simply walk out of the station & the Ibis is very very close by. Also nearby, possibly walking distance is a Hilton, but obviously, that will be more expensive.

Kelly

Sharni said:
Cheers Sharni

Yes, the train station is below the terminal. Just follow the signs at the airport. :)

Kelly

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Heather your post is a little confusing.

I don't doubt it is since I am confused with how to book this, lol.

The name of the train station was what I was actually looking for, so thank you. I came to understand that I would have to take some sort of transportation from the airport to get to another train station but I did not know the name of the station.

Another post that lists to use the search of CDG2 was very helpful. Thank you, using that helps.

Also, I was trying to book it straight to SJPP, which does not seem possible. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can only book as far as Bayonne and then book a ticket from Bayonne to SJPP separately.

All that said, I cannot book for Sept. So I will have to wait a few more months I believe.

Heather

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
CDG is a confusing place, even if you have been there before. There are (at least 3) air terminal buildings and also TGV and RER rail stations. All these are connected by a light-rail type shuttle line. Signage will not necessarily offer you clues when you need them. I spent some time studying the CDG airport site map beforehand, and it helped a little bit.

My stopover-in-Paris hotel is Hotel Welcome, which is an inexpensive two-star establishment with an excellent location.

For travelers arriving at CDG in the morning from US west coast, you have plenty of time to reach your southern starting points (Le Puy, SJPP) by rail the same day if you wish to. However, I did that last time and was still muzzy from the jet lag for several days. So this year I'm planning a stopover in Paris on the inbound leg as well as the outbound leg.

I am leaving to start the Le Puy route in a couple of weeks. Can someone recommend a hotel near the Gare Lyon as well as a hotel near the cathedral in Le Puy? I've checked Trip Adviser, etc, but frankly trust Forum members for the best info.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
I'm flying from Cairns Au. to Paris on 1'April via Japan.
I don't understand all these acronyms! What is CDG or CDG2. SJPP is somewhere I obviously need to go to but how is it pronounced? What is the TVG apart from a means of transport?
Is it necessary to book the train from Paris to Bayonne - Gare de Nord ??
I understand that the price is around 200 euros.?
Sorry if the above sounds a bit stroppy, It isn't meant to be but at 67, after 24 hours flying time I'll be seeing double.
Thanks in advance..dave

Every airport has a three letter code. Sometimes the three letters actually stand for something. In the case of CDG it stands for Charles de Gaulle Airport (aka Roissy), one of two major airports serving Paris.

CDG 2 means Charles de Gaulle Airport terminal 2.

SJPdP is a commonly used acronym (particularly amongst pilgrims) for Saint Jean Pied de Port. We are usually too lazy to type it out in full as is the manner of acronyms.

TGV means 'Train a Grand Vitesse' (which translates as high speed train)

There are 6 major train stations in Paris (plus the TGV station at CDG2). Trains from CDG2 and Gare Montparnasse go to Bordeaux. A transfer is sometimes but not always needed at Bordeaux to continue towards Irun. The train to Irun stops in Bayonne. Another train goes from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Gare du Nord is also one of the 6 major train stations in Paris. If you were at CDG and were planning to catch a train leaving from Montparnasse you would need to take an RER Light Rail Transit train to Gare du Nord and a metro train (line 4) from Gare du Nord to Montparnasse Bienvenue station. Its a 15 minute walk from the metro to the train at Montparnasse station. There are no trains bound for Bayonne from Gare du Nord.

You can book ahead or buy a ticket at the station for the train from Paris to Bayonne.

You cannot book ahead for the train from Bayonne to SJPdP ... it is run more as a commuter train.

I'm flying from Cairns Au. to Paris on 1'April via Japan.
Dave,
What time does your flight arrive in Paris?
Colin
SJPP = Saint-Jean-Pied-Port (Saint John at the foot of the mountain pass) - Jean is John in French - St John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Colin Peter,
My flight from Narita: Japan arrives in Paris at 3.50 a.m.!! (I've only just noticed that!) -On 02 April;
Terminal 2E- AF277. It would be amazing if you or another pilgrim would be on the same plane.
At any event I will have a scallop shell design visible on my clothing.
Regards...Dave.

Every airport has a three letter code. Sometimes the three letters actually stand for something. In the case of CDG it stands for Charles de Gaulle Airport (aka Roissy), one of two major airports serving Paris.

CDG 2 means Charles de Gaulle Airport terminal 2.

SJPdP is a commonly used acronym (particularly amongst pilgrims) for Saint Jean Pied de Port. We are usually too lazy to type it out in full as is the manner of acronyms.

TGV means 'Train a Grand Vitesse' (which translates as high speed train)

There are 6 major train stations in Paris (plus the TGV station at CDG2). Trains from CDG2 and Gare Montparnasse go to Bordeaux. A transfer is sometimes but not always needed at Bordeaux to continue towards Irun. The train to Irun stops in Bayonne. Another train goes from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Gare du Nord is also one of the 6 major train stations in Paris. If you were at CDG and were planning to catch a train leaving from Montparnasse you would need to take an RER Light Rail Transit train to Gare du Nord and a metro train (line 4) from Gare du Nord to Montparnasse Bienvenue station. Its a 15 minute walk from the metro to the train at Montparnasse station. There are no trains bound for Bayonne from Gare du Nord.

You can book ahead or buy a ticket at the station for the train from Paris to Bayonne.

You cannot book ahead for the train from Bayonne to SJPdP ... it is run more as a commuter train.

dear Whariwarangi,
Thanks for you lucid explanation of the code meaning. I have just noticed that to help me be even more of a 'grouch' I will be arriving in Paris at 3.50 in the morning. On the other hand if I manage with a short sleep at the airport hotel I will be able to see France in daylight. I hitch-hiked down the West of France years ago: like most places it has probably changed for the worst.

My flight ... arrives in Paris at 3.50 a.m.!!
Hi Dave,
That might be a blessing in disguise, gives you time to get the 8:19 train (TGV) from the airport (CDG2) to Bayonne (that is, if you going by train ?). Means you don't have to negotiate Paris on your way to SJPP.
This website will give you information on the TGV station (15 mins from your terminal):
http://www.easycdg.com/1/ground-tra...t-charlesdegaulle/tgv-rer-station-terminal-2/
You can purchase tickets direct from here (Remember you want the cheaper over 60 fare):
http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/
But you might be more comfortable going through a travel agent.
Buen Camino
Colin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
dear Whariwarangi,
Thanks for you lucid explanation of the code meaning. I have just noticed that to help me be even more of a 'grouch' I will be arriving in Paris at 3.50 in the morning. On the other hand if I manage with a short sleep at the airport hotel I will be able to see France in daylight. I hitch-hiked down the West of France years ago: like most places it has probably changed for the worst.

You're welcome. !Buen Camino!

I have a question and need some help please:

Is there a Bus from Biarritz to SJPdP or should I catch the train back to Bayonne (to get a train from there to SJPdP)?

I will be flying into Biarritz and want to make sure what my options are :)

thank you!

x

I have a question and need some help please:

Is there a Bus from Biarritz to SJPdP or should I catch the train back to Bayonne (to get a train from there to SJPdP)?

I will be flying into Biarritz and want to make sure what my options are :)

thank you!

x

From Biarritz airport take a Chronopost bus 14 to the BAYONNE rr station (Gare SNCF). For times see >> http://www.chronoplus.eu/ At Bayonne station take a regional TER line 62 train to SJPdP. For time until July 2014 >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/trains-bayonne-to-sjpdp-current-2014-timetable.23855/ Generally there are several TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP each day. There are NO reserved seats; seating is open as on a tram or metro. The cost to SJPdP from Bayonne is about 10 euros. SJPdP is the last stop; journey time roughly 1 1/2 hours. The TER train also transports bikes.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
From Biarritz airport take a Chronopost bus 14 to the BAYONNE rr station (Gare SNCF). For times see >> http://www.chronoplus.eu/ At Bayonne station take a regional TER line 62 train to SJPdP. For time until July 2014 >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/trains-bayonne-to-sjpdp-current-2014-timetable.23855/ Generally there are several TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP each day. There are NO reserved seats; seating is open as on a tram or metro. The cost to SJPdP from Bayonne is about 10 euros. SJPdP is the last stop; journey time roughly 1 1/2 hours. The TER train also transports bikes.

Thank you so much! You are a real Camino Angel!!!! xxxxxxxxxx

I've read over other threads but am still a bit confused about how to get to SJPP from Paris CDG. I've looked at the train, a few different sights, and none appear to go to SJ from there. Can anyone tell me the name of the train station to go to so that I CAN catch a train to go to SJPP? I'm guessing I will have to take a taxi to get to it.

I've also looked at flights, but the only one I've found that is a decent price is Easyjet. There is only 1 leaving at 4:20 pm and getting to Biarritz at 6 pm. Then the next train would be at 7:20 to Bayonne then on to SJPP, getting there at 10:30 pm. My plane gets into CDG at 7 am. Not sure I want to sit in the airport for so long and get off the plane so late then hop on a train. I think it might be better to take the train, even for an 8 hour ride.

I am considering perhaps staying in Paris the day I arrive then taking the train to SJPP the next day. I would stay in SJ that night then get up the next morning to start on the Camino. Either way, I can't seem to find what the train station is called so I can try to book a ticket.

Thanks in advance for all insight,

Heather
The other option is to take the "Air France" shuttle bus to Orly airport and fly to Biarritz from there. The bus isn't free and anyone can take it, and the cost of flying from Orly to Biarritz is considerably less than flying from CDG, and there are a lot more flights. That's what I did last year and I'm planning to do the same again this year.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back