• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Paris to Compostelle via Vezelay

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Hi all, I noticed in another thread that some people had started from Paris... including @JabbaPapa? (unless I got it wrong....)
I would love to hear what it was like....

The background to this is that after a few days in the Uk with temperatures in the high 20s, I started going off the idea of repeating the experience of 40 deg + in Italy this july :eek: so went back to my original idea of walking the Vezelay route.
BUT... I have no faith in the SNCF getting me from Paris to the tiny stations near Vezelay so...... I thought 'why not walk it?' . After all it is my home city...

All enlightening comments welcome! :)

PS: I'm wondering whether to take my tent, for instance....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In retrospect I could have managed the Vezelay route without a tent and just a bit more planning, but since I had it anyway (and used it far more frequently between Holland and Vezelay) it gave me more options. But again, the Vezelay is eminently doable without a tent. Don't know about the Via Senonensis though.

You have walked the Via Francigena, so you know what walking in France can mean regarding food, opening hours and needing a slightly bigger budget compared to the CF, so I won't go into that. The next couple of links might be useful:

Via Senonensis GPX
Via Senonensis guide
Vezelay guide (PDF, but also available as 'real' guide)

If you want more practical info, let me know!

You could also take a bus from Paris/Bercy to Auxerre and another bus to Coulanges-sur-Yonne and then walk roughly 23 km to Vezelay. See more info in www.Rome2Rio.com.

Or walk Auxerre, Cravant, Mailly-le-Chateau, Chatel-Censoir to Vezelay. In late autumn 2008 I walked from our farm located on the Marne over the hills to Vezelay.Although I intended to continue on to SJPdP and Spain my knees did not !

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you very much @Purky . I will look at the links attentively! No doubt I'll come back with more questions....

You could also take a bus from Paris/Bercy to Auxerre and another bus to Coulanges-sur-Yonne and then walk roughly 23 km to Vezelay. See more info in www.Rome2Rio.com.

Or walk Auxerre, Cravant, Mailly-le-Chateau, Chatel-Censoir to Vezelay. In late autumn 2008 I walked from our farm located on the Marne over the hills to Vezelay.Although I intended to continue on to SJPdP and Spain my knees did not !
Thank you for the link @mspath ! And you did it in Winter, too!
Yes I could try it by bus, good suggestion.... But it's tempting to start walking from Paris... Decisions decisions

Most read last week in this forum

In about a week’s time I’ll be starting my fifth Camino from Le Puy en Velay, however, I’m interested to know if anyone in this forum has started their Camino from Paris ….. to Saint Jean Pied de...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.