• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Paris to SJPD

frank john

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
Hi all. Just wondering if I can make it to SJPD the same day I fly into paths at CDG airport. I arrive from Chicago at 10:30am. October 23. CanI fly from CDG to Bayonne, train to SJPD? Or Biarritz? Would you recommend staying overnight in Paris near monteparnesse station? I’d like to start walking on the 26th if possible.
Thanks so Much.
(I’ve walked the Camino three times but flew into Barcelona, train to Pamplona and taxi back to SJPD) first time trying París.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having traveled to SJPP the same day I arrived in Paris was a long haul. I arrived very early in the morning so making connections was no problem. However, with a 10:30 arrival, you’ll have to check the schedule of afternoon trains to Bayonne. On our last trip, we overnighted in Paris and consequently were much more rested for our travels south. However, if you can get as far as Bayonne that first day, it, too, is a great place to rest up and take a morning train on to SJPP the next day. You really need to see how the connections work out. Paris isn’t a bad choice for that first night. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Train is probably your best bet. Montparnasse/ Bayonne/ St Jean. There’s a weekday train leaves around 14:00 will get you there by 20:00. Still time for supper
Is it easy to get to montparnesse from CDG airport?

Yes. Various bus and metro connections. The CDG website provides lots of info. But the best fun is a Parisian taxi. You’ll get to see Paris, and you’ll be so glad to get to Montparnasse. Or as Marion Cottilard put it “to be alive in Paris” 😉
Thank you for the taxi recommendation. Great advice. Is it easy to get to SJPD from montparnesse? I arrive in Paris at 10:30 am. On October 24. Would like to get to SJPD that day if not too rushed. Otherwise I’ll stay overnight near montparnesse and go to SJPD next day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mid-week, October, three and a half hours to clear border control and get to Montparnasse. I’d risk it. Flight delay, stroppy Douanier, cab driver on too much wacky-baccy… and you might be on Plan B. There’s always the night train from Austerlitz.
Happy planning and Buen Camino

Mid-week, October, three and a half hours to clear border control and get to Montparnasse. I’d risk it. Flight delay, stroppy Douanier, cab driver on too much wacky-baccy… and you might be on Plan B. There’s always the night train from Austerlitz.
Happy planning and Buen Camino
I think I just might stay one night in Paris and then off to SJPD the next day. I’m assuming it’s easy to get a train from montparnesse to Bayonne and on to SJDP

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola - I guess the one issue is how do you handle jet lag. If you have few problems then yes you can plan Paris to SJPD. I suggest that you will feel the travel strain on your first walking day. Buen Camino.

My best advice is to arrive at CDG, and have a hotel booked in Paris. After customs, follow the Paris by Train signs in the airport. When you get to the part where you go downstairs to the train station, follow the signs for isle de France (the local trains) not the grande lignes (TGV) station. Buy a ticket from a machine for the RER line. You need to have Euros, your credit card probably won't work. The RER B is the only train, but each one will have different end points. It doesn't matter which one you catch, they all go where you are going. The train goes right through central Paris. If your hotel is within a few blocks of the Montparnasse station (it should be), get off at Denfert-Rochereau station, and walk to your hotel from there.

Download the directions from the metro station to your hotel before you go so you can find your way before your phone is working. Nearby, you can find a phone store, and pick up a SIM card for your phone. Rehydrate, walk around and sightsee, eat something, and hit the sack.

Buy your TGV ticket online before you go. Rail Europe and trainline are good sites for getting TGV tickets. You book a specific seat on these. There is a train to Bayonne from Montparnasse every couple of hours, I catch one at 10 the next morning. It's under 4 hours total to Bayonne. You will see people with packs boarding the same train, and all will get off in Bayonne. In Bayonne, change to a local TER train for sjpp. You can buy that ticket when you buy your TGV ticket, but you don't have to. The local trains can be bought at the station, and you just find a seat. From sjpp, walk to your hostel, or whatever. Sjpp is a small village.

Hola - I guess the one issue is how do you handle jet lag. If you have few problems then yes you can plan Paris to SJPD. I suggest that you will feel the travel strain on your first walking day. Buen Camino.
Thank you for the suggestion. I’m terrible with jet lag so I’m going to stay overnight near montparnesse. I figure it’s a train ride to Bayonne then to Biarritz. Start walking on the 26th. The biggest challenge will be finding a room throughout November!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My best advice is to arrive at CDG, and have a hotel booked in Paris. After customs, follow the Paris by Train signs in the airport. When you get to the part where you go downstairs to the train station, follow the signs for isle de France (the local trains) not the grande lignes (TGV) station. Buy a ticket from a machine for the RER line. You need to have Euros, your credit card probably won't work. The RER B is the only train, but each one will have different end points. It doesn't matter which one you catch, they all go where you are going. The train goes right through central Paris. If your hotel is within a few blocks of the Montparnasse station (it should be), get off at Denfert-Rochereau station, and walk to your hotel from there.

Download the directions from the metro station to your hotel before you go so you can find your way before your phone is working. Nearby, you can find a phone store, and pick up a SIM card for your phone. Rehydrate, walk around and sightsee, eat something, and hit the sack.

Buy your TGV ticket online before you go. Rail Europe and trainline are good sites for getting TGV tickets. You book a specific seat on these. There is a train to Bayonne from Montparnasse every couple of hours, I catch one at 10 the next morning. It's under 4 hours total to Bayonne. You will see people with packs boarding the same train, and all will get off in Bayonne. In Bayonne, change to a local TER train for sjpp. You can buy that ticket when you buy your TGV ticket, but you don't have to. The local trains can be bought at the station, and you just find a seat. From sjpp, walk to your hostel, or whatever. Sjpp is a small village.
Hi Rick. This is so helpful. I’m printing this out. This will make things very easy since I’m not at all familiar with Paris and getting to SJDP from there rather than Barcelona or madrid. Thanks so much. Frank

I’m flying in late September and plan to hop a train straight from CDG to Bordeaux and spend the night at the hotel next to the Bordeaux station. Maybe a little wine that night wouldn’t hurt, lol.. The next morning I’m hoping a train with connection to SJPP and will have time to explore the little town before hiking the following day. There is a train leaving CDG 12:30ish and I’m not checking bags. If you have a biometric passport clearing CDG passport control should be easier. Also, I bought a refundable train ticket so if I need to make a change it won’t be an issue. This avoid the rush of Paris (don’t take a taxi through Paris as I just did it a couple months back and nothing but traffic). You can train into Paris as well if you decide on that option but I’m avoiding it. Rail Europe has all the schedules so it’s pretty easy to negotiate the train schedules. Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If your schedule permits, connect with an EasyJet flight from CDG to Biarritz. Then take the Express Burricot shuttle from Biarritz to StJPP. It's a lot faster than the train.

-Paul

Not sure I understand your question. Lots of people travel CDG to StJ. They just do it by a variety of routes. There is at least one train, most days, that will take you to Bordeaux and/or even Bayonne direct from CDG. Depending on availability and timings it’s a viable option for some. As are all the other routes you’ve been offered.

Hi all. Just wondering if I can make it to SJPD the same day I fly into paths at CDG airport. I arrive from Chicago at 10:30am. October 23. CanI fly from CDG to Bayonne, train to SJPD? Or Biarritz? Would you recommend staying overnight in Paris near monteparnesse station? I’d like to start walking on the 26th if possible.
Thanks so Much.
(I’ve walked the Camino three times but flew into Barcelona, train to Pamplona and taxi back to SJPD) first time trying París.
Friend and I landed at CDG at 12:30 and boarded a plane for Biarritz at 4:20. You will need to change terminals via bus. Also, be aware that the gate of your flight will be announced within 30 minutes of departure. Spent the night in Biarritz and took the train to SJPdP.

The SNCF connect app is very useful to have for options of train travel in france. You can search for some options with start and end points. I am travelling in July straight from CDG to Bordeaux.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is interesting. I’ve never heard of traveling to SJPD from CDG airport. Has anyone tried this option?

There is a train station in the CDG airport, but the long distance trains are not very frequent. There are much better options for long distance train from the Paris train station.

-Paul

There is a train station in the CDG airport, but the long distance trains are not very frequent. There are much better options for long distance train from the Paris train station.

-Paul
Thank you Paul. I’ve decided to stay overnight near montparnesse and take train to Bayonne the next morning. It’s supposed to be easy getting from Bayonne to SJDp

It’s supposed to be easy getting from Bayonne to SJDp
Yes, very easy and you should be able to buy one itinerary that includes both train tickets. From Paris to Bayonne the seats are assigned, from Bayonne to SJPdP you sit anywhere.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Paul. I’ve decided to stay overnight near montparnesse and take train to Bayonne the next morning. It’s supposed to be easy getting from Bayonne to SJDp
That's what my dad and I doing. Trying to start off well rested, so hotel in Paris. Morning train to Bayonne, followed by the train up to SJPDP, and then staying the night there before heading up to Orisson. If we were really tight on time we *could* walk up to Orisson the same day, but we'll take it a little easier.

Thank you for such detailed advice!! I was so confused the last time I was in the Paris airport. This is really helpful!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think I just might stay one night in Paris and then off to SJPD the next day. I’m assuming it’s easy to get a train from montparnesse to Bayonne and on to SJDP
I'd go with that suggestion. I did that and started the CF on April 3rd this year. The overnight in Paris avoided the rush. The early train from Montparnesse, with the connection in Bayonne gets you to SJPDP early afternoon.
I had a quick look around then got on the track; stayed that night at Hunto (5km). Other overnight options include Orisson (7km) and Borda (8km). This was extra convenient for me because the Route Napoleon was closed beyond Borda up until April 4th.
That little head start makes for a great day across to Roncesvalles.
Buen Camino

Thank you for the taxi recommendation. Great advice. Is it easy to get to SJPD from montparnesse? I arrive in Paris at 10:30 am. On October 24. Would like to get to SJPD that day if not too rushed. Otherwise I’ll stay overnight near montparnesse and go to SJPD next day.
I will be overnighting in Paris after my arrival from the US. I feel like that rest time will help my body adjust and be better suited for the walk.

Rick, Thank you for this! I am going to copy/paste as a document in my Camino folder. This is great!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Would you recommend staying overnight in Paris near monteparnesse station? I’d like to start walking on the 26th if possible.

We did this last September, for a easy Jet Lag recovery day and to avoid stress of making any connections. We were glad we did, as it took 90+ minutes to clear the passport counters in CDG the RER was over an hour into the city center. We stopped into a shop to buy hiking poles, had lunch, then checked into out hotel (Hotel Mistral, thumbs up, about two blocks from Gare Montparnasse). Then forced ourselves to go for a long sight seeing walk until dinner time.

The next morning we caught the first TGV to Bayonne and connecting train to SJPdP. We were checked into our Gite by mid afternoon. Glad we did not rush it.

Jim

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back