• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Pontevedra via VILANOVA DE AROUSA and then by boat to Padron

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
First hand info from someone who made it (not me) in Spanish can be found on this web:

http://www.dospedalesmilcaminos.com/p/camino-de-pontevedra-ao-salnes.html

On this other web you can find some info in English about the leg from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón (on the link it's part of a bigger leg):

http://caminodesantiago.lavozdegalicia.com/en/camino/arousa-ulla-en/arousa-stage-1b-en/

The leg between Pontevedra and Vilanova de Arousa is part of the Variante Espiritual del Camino Portugués. From Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures (Padrón on the other side of the river), it's the Ruta Marítima del Mar de Arousa y Río Ulla.

ok. Let me answer my own question. I walked it last week.

I was unable to find much details beforehand but the albergues in Ponvedra have some more. The detour is well marked; you cannot miss it. You can have a look at my pictures i uploaded here somewhere. The first stage is very nice, only the last quarter is steep climbing. Not much shadow and sometimes boring route. No water when you start climbing. Be prepared!
Up to the mountain the route is well signed. At the mountain less and less and often on the wrong side (look backwards). Then suddenly you go steep down on a small track. Bit difficult.

The town is small and nobody seems to speak English. The monastery is often closed and do not answer the bell. I was told a room is 9o- euro. An albergue (6 euro) and two bars with rooms (40 eruo) are nearby. No problem. No tienda or supermarket available!

The second stage begins beautiful. Lousy marking. I had to follow other signs and sometimes just guess.. At the first crossing without signs, stay on the right side. Do not cross the bridge. But the way is breathtaking.

Then you walk on towards Villanova. At the end you have to climb a bit before you reach sea for a swim!

In Villanova you can choose to go next day by boat to near-Padron (16,50 euro pp!), walk 28 km or -but i do not have details- take a train.

The boat trip is nice but the driver only speak Spanish. We were happy to have a pilgrim on board to translate.

All at all:

often beautiful

first day climbing for several hours without water

a bit commercial

peaceful (only 5 pilgrims took this route)

only Spanish

monastery not open

I would do it again!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This sounds like an interesting camino. Have wondered about getting to Padron, as I understand, a destination of ancient pilgrims. Also, it seems to be a city with a lot of Galician cultural sites.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back