• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

From Porto - few questions

Pilgrim PL

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francais
I will be starting Camino from Porto to Santiago late June (in a week). My plan is to stay only in alberges and walk 20-25 km a day (ca 11 days). A few questions:

(i) On a frist day, I would like to start from the Porto Cathedral and take the route through Matosinhos to Vila do Conde (then Rates, Barcelos the following day/s) , however I understand this is slightly over 30km to Vila do Conde. Is there any alternative stop / route out of Porto, preferably thorugh Matosinhos, which is shorter but not on busy roads where I could stop in alberge (not hotel) after ca. 20-25 km. I do not want to take metro out of Porto but walk the whole route.
(ii) in June / July - would I need a sleeping bag or is a seeping sheet is sufficient, i.e. is it warm enough in alberges at night?
(iii) would I need long trousers or shorts will be sufficient?
(iv) is a raincoat or a poncho more practical (I have a separate rain cover for a backpack)?

Any comments much appreciated. Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked from Porto last month. Stayed mostly in albergues and just had a light sleeping bag and it was quite enough. Most places provided a blanket and pillow.
Not sure of the weather forecast but suggest you have one pr shorts and 1 pr trousers that will keep you covered for day and night, there really is no need to take any more, when all is said and done it is only 10 days or so and nobody cares about what you are wearing. Mmmmm about the rain coat. I get really hot under the poncho but they work well, i think that one might come down to personal preference. That said i took a raincoat and had one of those disposable ponchos just in case and needed it for about 2 hours.
And finally, i understand your resistance but have another think about getting the train out of porto it really is a good idea. 1. It will make your first day more enjoyable and 2.. You dont need all that traffic.
Have a wonderful time. I loved it.
Buon camino

First day out of Porto stay at Campismo Orbitur and have fresh fish in the little fishing village and watch the boats come in in the am. It is really special. It is quite a hike to get there from Porto along the coast. Vilar do Conde has a great new albergue but only 12 km from Orbitur, easy to go through to Rates for second night. Just walked this route, in Muxia tomorrow. Shorts were perfect. 3/4 pants in evening. Light merino and light fleece perfect. Altus raincoat perfect. Silk liner all that was needed as blankets in albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gitti, wouldn't it be funny to bump into you. We are in Santiago until noon Monday.

Back