• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Porto to Angeiras in bird's-eye view

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Interesting video. First of all the detour out of Porto direction Vila do Conde with the first possibility to stay the night in Angeiras.
Secondly technically spoken a video with a helicopter view but no moving objects like cars, trams, busses, human beings, waves etc.:)
Thanks for sharing Rainer.

Last edited:
It looks like some Google Maps animation, but it is absolutely gorgeous nonetheless, it brings so many memories!!!

I followed the same route pretty much, only after the bridge in Matosinhos I followed the arrows and went nearly straight instead of the sharp turn to the lef to follow down the harbour.

And the big anemona is there too, brilliant!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love this! Planning to do the Portuguese from Porto in 2018 or 2019, and this just whets my appetite!

Wow thanks for sharing! An American I met on the Camino Frances this year is thinking of joining me for the Camino Portugese coastal route in 2017 - can you please provide the link for this video so I can share it with her?

Olá , found a video about the Coastal Way from Porto to Angeiras:
Have a look and enjoy
This really brings back memories - Thanks! For anyone planning on doing the Portuguese, this is a great route. Also, if you have the time, the Rota Vicentina is well worth checking out - Truly stunning vistas. We started in Sagres on the Rota before hooking up with the Portuguese on our way to Santiago. Highly recommended!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The clip gives a good overview of the route and what to expect. I am planning to do this route next March. For those who have done it previously, and pardon my ignorance, is this coastal route 'more or less' like this for almost the entire journey? Having done CF this year, where one sees largely greenery, mountains, etc, this route seems to be very near to civilization with so many infrastirure and buildings alongside. Am just wondering if the entire trail is going to be largely like this?

The clip gives a good overview of the route and what to expect. I am planning to do this route next March. For those who have done it previously, and pardon my ignorance, is this coastal route 'more or less' like this for almost the entire journey? Having done CF this year, where one sees largely greenery, mountains, etc, this route seems to be very near to civilization with so many infrastirure and buildings alongside. Am just wondering if the entire trail is going to be largely like this?

It is urban from Porto to Angeiras, but it's well marked and much of it is on boardwalks by the ocean so it's not too bad. Out of Angeiras, we stayed along the coast by going to Vila do Conde. Really beautiful coastal walk with boardwalks much of the way.

At that point, we decided to head inland to Arcos to hook up with the Camino Portuguese which meant being on the N309 so we were on asphalt most of that time. Not only that, but the road is extremely narrow with little or no shoulder, so be advised. Loved Angeiras to Vila do Conde; Vila do Conde to Arcos, not so much.

Thanks, Ray. So that means the CP is largely an urban trek and walking on asphalt. I was thinking there would be some greenery like the CF.
otherwise, do you know anything about the weather in March ? I supposed it wouldn't be much an issue to trek along the coastline and asphalt ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, Ray. So that means the CP is largely an urban trek and walking on asphalt. I was thinking there would be some greenery like the CF.
otherwise, do you know anything about the weather in March ? I supposed it wouldn't be much an issue to trek along the coastline and asphalt ?
The video only shows a distance of about 25 kms max. out of the urban area of a big city,Porto..
The area shown is popular for the citizens of Porto for the beaches so the infrastructure is there and has hard surface. As soon as you go over the bridge of the Leixões harbour you walk on a wooden boardwalk almost all the way tho Vila do Conde.
There you can decide to follow the coastal or head inland.
It is the Portuguese caminho with its own caracteristics . There is roadwalking but also some greenery. As soon as you leave the Porto area you will come into a more rural area with now and then an urban area like Barcelos , Ponte de Lima or Valença do Minho.
It is Portugal, not Spain ! Very nice people , hospitality ,excellent food and great wines.
It is different to the camino Francès !

Interesting to see but glad I walked the Central route and would do again.

Thanks for the additional info, Albertinho. Yes, I have been to Porto and must agree that it is an awesome place with friendly people and good food. In fact, I had the privilege to witness Portugal won the world cup when I was there :)
I shall read further and make a decision which route to take.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Once you get to Angeiras it becomes less urban, and as I mentioned the boardwalk to Vila do Conde is very nice. That part on the N309 was the worst we encountered on this section of the CP (the N247 we were on earlier was almost as bad), but once you're past that things get better. But, yes, you will encounter much more asphalt on the CP than on the CF. The CP has its own look and feel, not like the CF but just different, and we really enjoyed it for those differences.

Recommendation: When you get to Tui, the San Clemente Alburgue is worth checking out. We got a private room upstairs for cheap, they have laundry facilities, there's a large garden area, and best of all (for us, anyway) it's right on the trail on the northern edge of town which makes for an easy and quick getaway.

As for weather in March, the highs will probably be in the low 60'sF (17C). We hit this section of the CP in June so we didn't encounter cold temperatures, but we did experience coastal fog and mist, but that didn't hinder us on the trail. Hope that helps.

Wow thanks for sharing! An American I met on the Camino Frances this year is thinking of joining me for the Camino Portugese coastal route in 2017 - can you please provide the link for this video so I can share it with her?

Olá Katie, just click on YouTube down right and you can get the link on YouTube.

Last edited:
Once you get to Angeiras it becomes less urban, and as I mentioned the boardwalk to Vila do Conde is very nice. That part on the N309 was the worst we encountered on this section of the CP (the N247 we were on earlier was almost as bad), but once you're past that things get better. But, yes, you will encounter much more asphalt on the CP than on the CF. The CP has its own look and feel, not like the CF but just different, and we really enjoyed it for those differences.

Thanks, Ray for the additional info and thorough info. It certainly helps in my planning and making a decision which route to take :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, Ray for the additional info and thorough info. It certainly helps in my planning and making a decision which route to take :)

Ern, following is a post I made on another thread about our hike last summer. Might be some additional information you can use in your planning. Best of luck!

We started in Sagres, Portugal in May (finished in August), hiking the Rota Vicentina (amazingly awesome, especially the Fisherman’s Trail segments!), then starting on the coastal out of Porto until we had to cut back inland to meet up with some friends before continuing to Santiago.

First of all, Porto is amazing! If you have time, check into taking a motorcycle sidecar tour with Side Ride Tours http://side-ride.pt/en/ . We didn’t know about/go on it until the night before we left, which was unfortunate because our driver showed us many places we wish we’d known about. Regardless, it’s a great way to get a feel for the city. Bonus: You will feel like a rock star – everyone waves and takes pictures of you as you tool around town!

Good place to stay in Porto: Nice Way Hostel http://nicewayhostels.com/porto/ . Only open for two weeks when we were there, so they were still working out some kinks, but I’m sure they’re good to go now. Nice place (as all the Nice Way Hostels we stayed at were), very centrally located.

We pushed on past Padron and stayed in Esclavitud, Spain at the Casa Grande da Capellania http://www.casagrandedacapellania.es/ for our last night on the trail. It might be more expensive than you want, but by this time you will deserve a break! It’s the former rectory for the church next door, family owned and run for generations. BTW, by staying there instead of Padron, it makes for a nice easy day into Santiago. This place is comfortable and homey, and the proprietor will cook you a dinner that’s fantastic. Great place to stay…unless you’re sensitive to noise ‘cause it is very close to a busy highway. It didn’t bother us, but that’s just us, so your mileage may vary. It is literally right on top of the trail – five steps out the door and you’re on it, so a great place to head off to Santiago.

In Santiago, our favorite hotel (we stayed there last year after doing the Frances, too), is the Hotel Costa Vella http://www.costavella.com/ Again, maybe more expensive than you want, but Roberto, the proprietor, will do everything he can to make your stay enjoyable. Even if you don’t stay there, it has a beautiful garden area that can’t be beat which will help calm your mind after days of hiking. This place is an absolute gem!

Finally, the Bodeguilla de San Roque Restaurant serves great food – just a couple of blocks from the Costa Vella, and it’s well worth a visit.

So, hope that’s helpful. You’re going to really enjoy it - Good luck!

Thank you so much, Ray. I will certainly take in these valuable tips as I plan. I was in Porto earlier and also stayed at Nice Way Hostels. That time, they had just opened about a month, and I must agree that it was an awesome place for my first stop in Portugal. Location is fantastic. I may probably stay there again this time.
You have been a great help. Thanks again :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I watched the video and thought it stunning. I'm hiking the Senda de Litoral starting May 23 leaving Porto...getting very excited.

Olá Rina

if your first stay after Porto will be at the campsite Angeiras, I´m very pleased to welcome you there. Every year I stay there in Mai/June for hospitaleiro.

Bom caminho

Rainer

Looking to do this route mid March next year, just starting to plan a route. Probably coast until Caminha before turning inland. My friend wants to be on the trail later March due to personal issue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Olá Rina

if your first stay after Porto will be at the campsite Angeiras, I´m very pleased to welcome you there. Every year I stay there in Mai/June for hospitaleiro.

Bom caminho

Rainer

Not sure if I will be in your area but if I am will definitely stop and say Ola.

You must like serving the pilgrims to go back...thought about taking the training as a possibility.

Thank you for the invite and encouragement. Obrigado.

Rina

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back