• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Porto to Santiago in 10 days

vldmr

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to go from Porto to Santiago de Compostella starting on April, 4th and arrive on April, 14th.
I realize the time is very limited for this route, but I really want to go along the coast. What would be the best way to plan this? I can walk up to 30 km a day. I don't mind taking a bus to skip a segment or two which are less exciting.

Would really appreciate any advice!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The best planing resource in my opinion is

I would just go and then see how the things advance..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to go from Porto to Santiago de Compostella starting on April, 4th and arrive on April, 14th.
I realize the time is very limited for this route, but I really want to go along the coast. What would be the best way to plan this? I can walk up to 30 km a day. I don't mind taking a bus to skip a segment or two which are less exciting.

Hola

As Tincatinker say it is the normal time frame for a "standard" walk, so you should be good.
I walked it some years ago and its a wonderful walk although most people probably get a bit tired of walking so much in boardwalk from Porto and up north.

I would plan it in two stages: Porto to Tui and Tui to Santiago.
Tui is like Sarria on the Frances - a starting point for people who needs to walkl 100 km to get a Compostela in Santiago, and therefore after Tui you got much more infrastructure and it will be easy to hop a bus if needed.

One advice I would like to give is to observe to locals where they go for a swim in the ocean.
Only go bathing were they do and never alone.
The ocean is incredible strong with undercurrents up the coast so be careful.

Do research a bit about getting in contact iwth the local fishermen to get over the water at Caminha.
There are many threads here about them.

Else it is like most other Caminos - get to your starting point, more or less prepared, and let the way show you how to become the best version of yourself.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Hi everyone,

If you're interested in getting a compostela (or certificate of completion) from the Pilgrims Office when you arrive in Santiago, be careful to do those bus segments before the 100 km boundary referenced by lettinggo. On the coastal route, by the way, that boundary starts in Vigo. One approach you might consider is plotting your 11 day segments backwards from Santiago and see how far south to Porto you can get before you run into potential problems.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Porto to Santiago de Compostela is very doable in 10-days. I did it a few years ago and I am as old as the hills! However, we followed the coast road out of Porto and then headed inland. It was an absolutely beautiful path too by the way. Buen Camino

If you're interested in getting a compostela (or certificate of completion) from the Pilgrims Office when you arrive in Santiago, be careful to do those bus segments before the 100 km boundary referenced by lettinggo. On the coastal route, by the way, that boundary starts in Vigo. One approach you might consider is plotting your 11 day segments backwards from Santiago and see how far south to Porto you can get before you run into potential problems.
Applying for a Compostela certificate you have to show that you walked , at least from Tui on the Central route of from Vigo on the Coastal route and gathered two stamps a day at your credential , to show once you come to the Pilgrims Office in Santiago .
If you can’t , you can get a so called Touristical certificate ( costs 3€) that you walked of biked a part of the Camino. During my voluntary job at the Pilgrims Office I met several people who thought they could get a Compostela , walking from Redondela or Pontevedra ( they thought the kms of the Variante Espiritual did count at that distance but that is not) or two ladies who started in Vigo and from there took the train to Santiago and where sadly surprised the Compostela was refused.

Porto to Santiago de Compostela is very doable in 10-days. I did it a few years ago and I am as old as the hills! However, we followed the coast road out of Porto and then headed inland. It was an absolutely beautiful path too by the way. Buen Camino
Hola
im planning a similar route in May. Where did u go inland? Villa do Conde seems to be the popular choice.
TIA

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello. I am leaving in a few days to Porto to do the Camino de la Costa. I have read that many pilgrims enjoyed going inland. Where did you leave the coastal and what route did you take. Is it in Gronze? Where can I find more information? I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks you.

Hola
im planning a similar route in May. Where did u go inland? Villa do Conde seems to be the popular choice.
TIA
Hola, I am trying to find the same information. I read it is at Caminha... Please let me know what you find. Thanks

Hello. I am leaving in a few days to Porto to do the Camino de la Costa. I have read that many pilgrims enjoyed going inland. Where did you leave the coastal and what route did you take. Is it in Gronze? Where can I find more information? I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks you.
I left the Coastal in Vila do Conde. Just after crossing the bridge into Vila do Conde I turned right and walked east along the north shore of the river. Signage appeared quickly and I followed the signs to Arcos. I wasn't using Gronze.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I left the Coastal in Vila do Conde. Just after crossing the bridge into Vila do Conde I turned right and walked east along the north shore of the river. Signage appeared quickly and I followed the signs to Arcos. I wasn't using Gronze.
Than you so much for answering my questions.

Hola
TIA
Exactly - Villa do Conde. Can’t comment on other options though. It was so lovely walking along the boardwalks out of Porto. Really enjoyed this short Camino and I hope you do too 😊

Hello

Does anyone know of a luggage service from Porto to Santiago? I am planning to do the Camino from Porto to Santiago and then I will be travelling around so I want to send my backpack to Santiago directly so I can do the Camino with just a small backpack. Does anyone have a reliable service and that they will keep your backpack for 10 days or so?

Many thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello

Does anyone know of a luggage service from Porto to Santiago? I am planning to do the Camino from Porto to Santiago and then I will be travelling around so I want to send my backpack to Santiago directly so I can do the Camino with just a small backpack. Does anyone have a reliable service and that they will keep your backpack for 10 days or so?

Many

Most read last week in this forum

Hi We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park. They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the Hotels or Pensions may have pilgrim rates that are lower than what you see on booking.com? If this is true how common is this and do you...
Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back