Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

From Saint-Palais to SJPdP

Jom

Year of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk my first Camino, beginning the first of april in SJPdP. Now I have read about a two days walk from Saint-Palais to SJPdP to get used to walking in France and as an exercise tot walk in the Pyrenees.
Has anyone any experience with this route?

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Sure, it is the last part of the Le Puy route, well way marked and good infrastructure for pilgrims.

Bon Chemin, SY

Harington

Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016
Sure, it is the last part of the Le Puy route, well way marked and good infrastructure for pilgrims.

Bon Chemin, SY
It's also the last part of the Voie de Vézelay (the routes meet at Ostabat). It's perfectly feasible to walk St Palais to SJPdP in a day - about 30km. The first part is quite hilly, with wonderful views of the Pyrenees.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
It's a wonderful walk, and helps prepare for that massive stage out of SJPP.

BShea

(9/2013) Le Puy
(5/2015) CF
(5/2016) Le Puy
(5/2017) CF
(9/2017) Le Puy
(9/2019) RL Stevenson
Hello @Jom. I walked from St. Palais to SJPdP in 2013. It is about 4 kms or so from St. Palais to the Stele de Gibraltar which is where the Route de Vezelay and the Chemin du Puy interconnect. The route is well marked.

May I make a suggestion? You did not mention how you would be traveling to St Palais. Bus #811 (2€) leaves from the Bayonne train station 4 times per day / 6 days a week (here's the link: http://transports64.fr/Interurbains?lang=fr ) and not only stops in St Palais, but continues on to Aroue. There us a wonderful gite in Aroue (https://www.ferme-bohoteguia.com/english/) where you will eat like a king. Then, the next day, you can walk to Ostabat and stay at another gite (http://www.gites64.com/Gite-groupe-Ostabat-asme-Eyharts-Pyrenees-Pays-Basque-64G531002.html) that is lots of fun - the owner teaches everyone to sing in Basque. I think this plan is the ideal way to start the camino if you want to get in a couple of days of walking before the Pyrenees and have a good French experience before arriving in Spain.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

Purky

The Dutch guy
Reality is frequently inaccurate
St. Palais to SJPdP is a beautiful and tranquil walk. Recommended. You will not only pass the stèle de Gibraltar, as BShea already mentioned, but also the chapel of Soyharce and the old cross of Galzetaburu.

Glenshiro

Le Puy - León, Camino Frances (2012 - 2019)
I walked this route last year, finishing the le Puy trail, taking the bus from Bayonne to Etchary la Croix (amazing value for €2) and took two days to reach SJPDP. Beautiful unspoilt countryside and very quiet. I found SJ crowded and noisy by comparison! An excellent introduction to the Camino.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads