• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Saint-Palais to SJPdP

Jom

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk my first Camino, beginning the first of april in SJPdP. Now I have read about a two days walk from Saint-Palais to SJPdP to get used to walking in France and as an exercise tot walk in the Pyrenees.
Has anyone any experience with this route?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sure, it is the last part of the Le Puy route, well way marked and good infrastructure for pilgrims.

Bon Chemin, SY

Sure, it is the last part of the Le Puy route, well way marked and good infrastructure for pilgrims.

Bon Chemin, SY
It's also the last part of the Voie de Vézelay (the routes meet at Ostabat). It's perfectly feasible to walk St Palais to SJPdP in a day - about 30km. The first part is quite hilly, with wonderful views of the Pyrenees.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's a wonderful walk, and helps prepare for that massive stage out of SJPP.

Hello @Jom. I walked from St. Palais to SJPdP in 2013. It is about 4 kms or so from St. Palais to the Stele de Gibraltar which is where the Route de Vezelay and the Chemin du Puy interconnect. The route is well marked.

May I make a suggestion? You did not mention how you would be traveling to St Palais. Bus #811 (2€) leaves from the Bayonne train station 4 times per day / 6 days a week (here's the link: http://transports64.fr/Interurbains?lang=fr ) and not only stops in St Palais, but continues on to Aroue. There us a wonderful gite in Aroue (https://www.ferme-bohoteguia.com/english/) where you will eat like a king. Then, the next day, you can walk to Ostabat and stay at another gite (http://www.gites64.com/Gite-groupe-Ostabat-asme-Eyharts-Pyrenees-Pays-Basque-64G531002.html) that is lots of fun - the owner teaches everyone to sing in Basque. I think this plan is the ideal way to start the camino if you want to get in a couple of days of walking before the Pyrenees and have a good French experience before arriving in Spain.

St. Palais to SJPdP is a beautiful and tranquil walk. Recommended. You will not only pass the stèle de Gibraltar, as BShea already mentioned, but also the chapel of Soyharce and the old cross of Galzetaburu.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked this route last year, finishing the le Puy trail, taking the bus from Bayonne to Etchary la Croix (amazing value for €2) and took two days to reach SJPDP. Beautiful unspoilt countryside and very quiet. I found SJ crowded and noisy by comparison! An excellent introduction to the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back