• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From San Sebastian to St Jean Pied de Port

jchl

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Hi, I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada and will be hiking the Camino Frances in late May. I've booked a flight from Vancouver to Barcelona (arrive May 22 and stay for couple of days) and a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian on May 24 early morning. From there, I'm wondering what are my options for going from San Sebastian to St Jean Pied de Port. And how long would it take to go from San Sebastian to St Jean Pied de Port? Ideally I like to be able to get to St Jean early enough so that shops are still open and I can buy some food for the walk the next day and check out the conditions of the trail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
San Sebastian Airport EAS is located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station and 6 km from SNCF Gare d'Hendaye.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-San-Sebastian/en/

Take Ekialdebus E25 E27 or E28 from Airport to Irun Colon 43 bus stop.
http://ekialdebus.eus/es/

Cross the street to Metro Donostialdea (euskotren) station Colon and take Metro train to Hendaia. Hendaia is co-located with Gare d'Hendaye.
http://www.euskotren.eus/

Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne; or
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Take Transports64 'Euskadi Express' 816 from Gare d'Hendaye to Place de Basques.
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

Then walk 1 km or take Chronoplus bus across bridge to Gare de Bayonne.
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Finally, take SNCF TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At the San Sebastien airport you can see the Bidasoa river which is the old frontier between Spain and France. Directly across that river is the Hendaye, France, rr station. You could easily walk there within an hour. Use Google maps to plot a walking route.

At the Hendaye rr catch a train to Bayonne; there are many throughout the day. At Bayonne take the local TER line 62 to SJPdP.

I'm in San Seb right now, leaving tomorrow on the Conda bus to St Jean via Pamplona. Bus leaves San Seb 12:30, arrives St Jean 16:15 with 55 mins between buses in Pamplona. NB, that is Sun timetable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm in San Seb right now, leaving tomorrow on the Conda bus to St Jean via Pamplona. Bus leaves San Seb 12:30, arrives St Jean 16:15 with 55 mins between buses in Pamplona. NB, that is Sun timetable.

San Sebastian is located about 25 km from San Sebastian Airport.

There are CONDA (ALSA) buses from San Sebastian Plaza Pio XII to Pamplona almost hourly.

Some (two or three daily) of the CONDA buses continue from Pamplona to SJPdP. Last summer (2015) there was a bus from San Sebastian to SJPdP via Biarritz Airport. Unfortunately ALSA usually only updates new bus schedules approx 30 days in advance.

The routing from EAS airport via Bayonne is more convenient and has greater frequency of service.

I just took a cab to Hendaya and trained in from there.

Hi, I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada and will be hiking the Camino Frances in late May. I've booked a flight from Vancouver to Barcelona (arrive May 22 and stay for couple of days) and a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian on May 24 early morning. From there, I'm wondering what are my options for going from San Sebastian to St Jean Pied de Port. And how long would it take to go from San Sebastian to St Jean Pied de Port? Ideally I like to be able to get to St Jean early enough so that shops are still open and I can buy some food for the walk the next day and check out the conditions of the trail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

John

The Euskotren is really easy and cheap from San Sebastian (aka Donastia) to Hendaye. It's a little electric train like a monorail. http://www.euskotren.eus/
Hendaye (plage) to Biarritz is about 2 euros. There's a sandwich shop in the train station, or a bakery across the street in Hendaye.
Biarritz to SJPP call the porter service. San Sebastian is NOT the easiest airport to SJPP. Barcelona to Biarritz is easier.
There is a car rental at San Sebastian Airport as well as at Hendaye station, too.

Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am thinking about how to get to St Jean Pied de Port. I could have a flight to San Sebastian -
arriving at 5 PM. What then?

What I did last year was to take a very eary morning flight to San Sebastian airport (arriving early afternoon, forgot what time I arrived). Then I took the advice and take a taxi to the train station across the border - I got less than an hour left). Then it's just couple of train rides to St Jean Pied de Port.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you, John!
I am afraid that is (after 5 PM) too late to get from San Sebastian to SJPP?

Last edited:
You'll need to check the train schedule if you arrive at 5pm. I personally want to arrive St Jean Pied de Port early enough so that I still have the afternoon to visit the shops for last minute supplies and visit the pilgram office before they are close. Also, I rather not arrive late at night looking for accommodation.

That's exactly what I'm thinking and would like to do, but I'm trying to find a cheap flight ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am thinking about how to get to St Jean Pied de Port. I could have a flight to San Sebastian -
arriving at 5 PM. What then?

San Sebastian Airport to Gare d'Hendaye. Walk, Ekialdebus to Colon station and Metro to Hendaia, or taxi.

SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Bayonne.

SNCF train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP. (service is currently provided by bus)

Alternatively, take Transports64 bus or PESA bus from Gare d'Hendaye to Place de Basques in Bayonne. Place de Basques is a km from Gare Bayonne.

It depends on your day of travel. Most days the last train leaves Gare Bayonne 1806. No chance if your arrival time at EAS is 1700. Fridays and Sundays it leaves 2110.

The first train leaves Gare Bayonne at 0745 arr SJPdP at 0845 ... enough time to walk to Roncesvalles.

There are trains leaving Hendaye early enough to catch 0745 at Bayonne.

Your best option is to stay the night in Irun or Bayonne and continue travel in the morning.

Other option is Express Bourricot, a private hire taxi based in SJPdP that caters to pilgrims. You might need to get to Biarritz or Bayonne to make this option work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, whariwharangi.
I'm thinking through these options. I need to figure out which one is the cheapest, since I'm on the budget.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It may not be cheapest but we are thinking of splitting the fair on a taxi from San sabastian to SJP do you think that is possible?

This is still great info. I thought Rome2Rio had misled me after suggestion I buy a plane ticket to San Sebastian. Whariwharangi's post is an excellent walk through.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back