• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Santiago in to Portugal

ja.son.nie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del norte & Caminho Portugues
Hello! I am currently on the primitivo and i came in from the norte starting in Irun. I will be in Finisterra in maybe 9 days and i am contemplating going on into Portugal. The plan is to follow the Caminho for as long as possible and stay in the country, hiking, for as long as possible. I would like some information on how to do this and IF its even possible from both an economic and an infrastructurial (?) viewpoint. We will be two people, camping and cooking our food as much as we can and we will have a tight monthly budget of 500 euros.

Anyone with anything to say about this at all is very welcome to do so. Preferably people with similar experiences. The main concerns are the budget and the possibilities of wildcamping in Portugal.

Hope everyone is feeling well!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello. I can not advice you on wild camping as i have never done that. If you are walking into Portugal from Santiago, just follow the blue arrows because they lead you to Fatima. After that, I do not know what you want. But I understand you want to walk as long as possible in Portugal, which sounds like a very good idea as it is a lovely country & there are several other camino 's to walk - have a look in the Portugal section of this forum and you get an idea of the options. As for your budget, I found Portugal to be slightly cheaper than Spain. If you manage to wild camp every day, a 500 euro month budget is tight, but not impossible I think. If you managed to live on this budget in Spain, I think you will also manage to do so in Portugal. Hope this is helpful, good luck !

You should be able to pick up the Portuguese route from Santiago to Oporto, but I'm have no information about that as we took the bus.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello. I can not advice you on wild camping as i have never done that. If you are walking into Portugal from Santiago, just follow the blue arrows because they lead you to Fatima. After that, I do not know what you want. But I understand you want to walk as long as possible in Portugal, which sounds like a very good idea as it is a lovely country & there are several other camino 's to walk - have a look in the Portugal section of this forum and you get an idea of the options. As for your budget, I found Portugal to be slightly cheaper than Spain. If you manage to wild camp every day, a 500 euro month budget is tight, but not impossible I think. If you managed to live on this budget in Spain, I think you will also manage to do so in Portugal. Hope this is helpful, good luck !

Yes very helpful. Thank you for your input. I will google about wildcamping in the country. Thanks Marc!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back