• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Sarria....what time of year?

Philosykos

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully Sarria to Santiago in future!
Hello friends..just a few questions! Planning for a near future trip..Sarria to Compostela with a friend.Best time to do this? I hear summer is very crowded..Is last week October a good time? Or April or May?My time depends on my work ..but I am free last week October..during Easter...or end of July till end of August.So what would be best weather wise to avoid alot of rain basically?Or too much Heat?

Also..starting in Sarria..must we STAMP our passports there before we start off?

Can I obtain a passport in Sarria? Or can we obtain ahead of time by mail? And how far in advance can we get or does it not matter?? Many thxs!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Philosykos,

Welcome to the Forum!

Be sure to read these earlier Forum threads regarding walking from Sarria to Santiago; starting point in Sarria and the camino from Sarria.

In Sarria you can obtain a Credential at the church of Santa Marina, Travesía de la iglesia, 3
and at the municipal albergue, Calle Mayor, 31; both are on the camino Wherever you do get your Credential it is important that you obtain at least two sellos per day. You must ensure that you do this at least for the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago if you are walking. For more info see the Forum thread two stamps per day

However now you can order your Credential directly from this Forum!

When might be the "best time" is always a personal choice. Summer would be very busy and hot. Easter week would also be busy. Late October should be less crowded. However November 1 is a national holiday, Día de todos los Santos, ( All Saints Day ) and the camino may be busy .

Whenever you do decide to go be prepared for rain! Galicia isn't green and verdant by chance; carry good rain gear.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Many thxs!
What kind of rain gear should one have? A rain poncho? Is there anything one can put over tennis shoes to protect feet??

Thanks again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked the Sarria section in May as part of the whole Camino in 2012 and on its own with my wife in September 2013. Both were beautiful times of the year. I would reccomend light waterproof rainpants and a breathable rainjacket. The rainpants should cover most of your shoes so that will sort that problem. You can get your passport as early as you like. There are some available online, one of the forum members, David, sells them in his online store.

Edit: you can also get them here.

http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello friends..just a few questions! Planning for a near future trip..Sarria to Compostela with a friend.Best time to do this? I hear summer is very crowded..Is last week October a good time? Or April or May?My time depends on my work ..but I am free last week October..during Easter...or end of July till end of August.So what would be best weather wise to avoid alot of rain basically?Or too much Heat?

Also..starting in Sarria..must we STAMP our passports there before we start off?

Can I obtain a passport in Sarria? Or can we obtain ahead of time by mail? And how far in advance can we get or does it not matter?? Many thxs!

Hello Philosykos,

You can procure your pilgrim credential (passport) from this forum. Simply click here: http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago

I walked from Leon (through Sarria) to Santiago in May. It was beautiful weather -- not too hot -- which is important to me. It rained in Galacia...but doesn't it always rain in Galacia? Since I am from Arizona (without much precipitation) I was happy to walk in the rain. The rain was not as heavy as Les Chemin de St Jacques in southern France. I recommend that you have your pilgrim credential stamped in Sarria before you leave. The church office recommends that you have it stamped twice per day if you start out near here.

Thankyou! Does it matter how far in advance you get a pilgrims passort? I mean could I get one now still not knowing when I will actualy go??

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I did it at the end of April, beginning of May. It was not crowded (it was just starting) and the fields were green due to the tremendous amount of rain they had last year (it stopped a few days before we started). We had a couple of day with rain but, I would have called them more like showers. We decided to take the Ferrigno Ponchos and gaiters. Beware of the poisonous Hortiga

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hortiga is a weed that grows among the regular weeds. In the spring the weeds will be covering the sides of the trails, it will go through pants and give you a terrible rash. My wife got it bad.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back