• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Scotland to Santiago and back again ...

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"Ya wee belter" as they say in the Neuk of Fife

Just booked a B&B and a boat trip for next Saturday. I'll report back

My assumption is the folks who buried him must have heard the story of his pilgrimage often, as the location of the shell makes me smile, something a spouse may do after years of listening.....
Hahahaha...That was a possibility I would never have considered. But now you say that, I can see it.
Safe and easy travel to you @Introibo . It'll be interesting to hear how it goes.

Interesting that our late friend on the Isle of May should be discussed just now. His story was being told here on the forum almost exactly 10 years ago!
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/scallop-shell.3019/#post-15134

Isotope studies of the skeleton concluded that the young man was local to the area, surprisingly well nourished and his bones showed evidence that he led an active if short life. As Dael remarked in 2007 his burial near the altar suggested high status within his community.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...=onepage&q=burial scallop shell mouth&f=false

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A fellow Fifer . I'd never heard this story before, thanks for posting it SYates. There are still (very) short stretches of Pilgrim Trails in Fife that remain from the days when Pilgrims went from Edinburgh to St Andrews.
There is also a "long distance" walk from the West of Scotland to St Andrews being planned. It is scheduled to follow, as closely as possible, the route used by Pilgrims. No idea when it's due to open. Should be good as a practice walk for Pilgrims based in this part of the World before doing their Camino. Lots of days walking in the rain, sleet and snow.

Last edited:
A fellow Fifer . I'd never heard this story before, thanks for posting it SYates. There are still (very) short stretches of Pilgrim Trails in Fife that remain from the days when Pilgrims went from Edinburgh to St Andrews.
There is also a "long distance" walk from the West of Scotland to St Andrews being planned. It is scheduled to follow, as closely as possible, the route used by Pilgrims. No idea when it's due to open. Should be good as a practice walk for Pilgrims based in this part of the World before doing their Camino. Lots of days walking in the rain, sleet and snow.
Please keep us informed when it opens.
Thank you
Keith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
http://www.thewayofstandrews.com/

The route from Iona to St. Andrew's has been open for about 3 years.

As promised, a report on the Isle of May.

We drove up via St Andrews arriving along the back roads which give great views of the cathedral
and St. Rule's tower as the approach to the town is made . It was good to be back in the old town
and to have a wander round the cathedral ruins and St Leonard's chapel. ( Golden days of my
happy youth ). From here it's a short drive down the coast to the fishing town of Anstruther, home
of Scotland's best fish and chip shop. ( Allegedly ).

The short ride over to the Isle of May in the morning was pleasant with warm sunshine and seals
and the odd puffin to look at. The primary purpose of Historical Scotland's Open Door day was to
tour the lighthouses, engine rooms and other sundry buildings. They'd drafted in guides from
various other establishments, none of whom knew much about our pilgrim brother. Up at the
main lighthouse there was a display which showed his remains as they'd been found during
the excavations and a guide gave a few details. I asked where he'd been laid to rest. Probably
a museum was the answer.

We walked down and had a look at St Adrian's chapel. There's not much left of it. It has a beautiful
setting on the west side of the island which, as we're in the north sea, would be the more sheltered
side. Nice in the summer no doubt but desolate during the winter months.

I came away a little disappointed. I'd like to know where my fellow pilgrim is.

Here's a link to a report of the excavations that took place in the 1990s

https://canmore.org.uk/event/585839

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back