• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino From Seville to Astorga

• Thread starter Former member 98118
  • Start date
F

Former member 98118

Sevilla is cool even when it is hot

Hi just wanted to say good morning at 6 am from Pension Gala in Seville where I slept well with AC on in a small room for 28 euro. Sevilla is cool even when it is hot! Took a nice evening walk but got scared by a 'monton' of people not wearing masks. I was planning to take a short walk to the hostel Italica today later on but not sure at this moment. Maybe will do a classic stage to Guillena. Just wanted to share a map I made before setting off and say I will upload pictures probably more to twitter which is free and it is easier to share than on the forum. See you on VdlP!

Map

twitter:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi just wanted to say good morning at 6 am from Pension Gala in Seville where I slept well with AC on in a small room for 28 euro. Sevilla is cool even when it is hot! Took a nice evening walk but got scared by a 'monton' of people not wearing masks. I was planning to take a short walk to the hostel Italica today later on but not sure at this moment. Maybe will do a classic stage to Guillena. Just wanted to share a map I made before setting off and say I will upload pictures probably more to twitter which is free and it is easier to share than on the forum. See you on VdlP!

Map

twitter:

Will be following you both here and soon on the road, so thank you in advance for sharing information about your journey. And, of special interest to me and others I’m sure, will be info on accommodation options. Am considering bringing bivouac gear in case of closed or full albuergues so your feedback will be useful. I wish you a buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Will be following you both here and soon on the road, so thank you in advance for sharing information about your journey. And, of special interest to me and others I’m sure, will be info on accommodation options. Am considering bringing bivouac gear in case of closed or full albuergues so your feedback will be useful. I wish you a buen camino!
You may have to worry about closed albergues but I have never heard of albergues being full but of course I am sure it happens. I too would like some on the ground info about albergue open/closed.
Just wanted to share a map I made before setting off
Are you checking out Gronze.com Happy Penguin to see how accurate they are for albergue open/closed. I believe they do an excellent job of keeping up to date. Buen Camino

Arrival of the dragon

Today I walked 23.2 km from my pension in Seville to albergue in Guillena. That includes maybe 1 km in the Roman town of Italica. I chose to walk through Camas, I don't think I want to meet those dogs that live by the river again. Camas is nice, later passing many warehouses, but I had company and nice chat with other pilgrims. After 11 km there are ruins of Italica, a Roman town where Emperors Trajan and Hadrian have been raised. The latter one built a wall across Great Britain. Italica is one of my favorite places on VdlP.
In the clip below the scene has been shot in 100% real Italica. I would even say 150% because some parts have been added...

Pictures from today on my Twitter

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Am considering bringing bivouac gear in case of closed or full albuergues
So far I would say maybe closed, but rarely full. Here in Guillena there is just one albergue open and the lady says it never gets full. Thera are 3 people today. Maybe one or two in hostal Frances. Try not to start from Seville on Sunday, this is when more people start.
I hope you have a great trip, and thanks in advance for sharing with us
Thank you Linkster I will certainly will especially when the temp drops down. Writing this with fan blowing into my face
Those are some long stages you have planned
Yes but it is based on my past experiences (to Salamanca). VdlP is very flat compared to northern Caminos. And I am in good shape after walking CFrances in July. The issue are high temperatures that cut your stages short
Are you checking out Gronze.com
I absolutely do! All the albergues I put in my map have been checked with Gronze and I even emailed some of them. If I find an albergue which has not been updated by Gronze I will let Gronze know
The map: http://tinyurl.com/PenguinPlata

Hottest day of the life of Happy Penguin

After leaving Italica the temperatures started to grow. I refilled my bottles and decided 1.5 liters will be OK for 11 km to albergue. I was right. The bar in front of Italica is the last place to get water.

Later you continue on asphalt for maybe 20 mins, pass a roundabout and (!!) exit from the highway which looks innocent but you know. Than the asfalt comes to an end and you have a group of trees where you should use the natural outhouse and/ or put light clothes on because from now on no place to hide, pure open space and a lot of bikers maybe because it is Sunday.

After next 4 km there is this 'river' that you need to cross on a narrow makeshift bridge. There is a whole thread about it. Today of course there was no water and I expect on leaving Guillena tomorrow either.

So after that bridge marked by a high tower (see pics on my Twitter) you have to go straight maybe another 4 km and I could feel how the temperature climbs with every minute. At the end of the straigh part turn left, a few years ago you had option to go left to private albergue and right to the municipal, and the latter one is closed.

So you go towards the not so busy road on your left and walk parallel to it. You pass hotel for dogs but very well secured. When you see Repsol gas/petrol station, go to the sidewalk by the road and you are almost in Albergue Luz del Camino.

I took a stroll through empty streets of Guillena when temperature reached 37 C just to see how it would be to walk. I thought I would evaporate. Tomorrow max temperature in Castilblanco will be 29, next day even less and rain! I'll be enjoying every drop of it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Map

twitter:

Great photos on your twitter account!

Map

twitter:

Your map is great! As following along with you on the map will be fun. Thanks for sharing .

Your map is great! As following along with you on the map will be fun. Thanks for sharing .
Thank you! Did you notice that when you touch the red/blue route it shows the length of the stage? And touching the number shows the name of albergue. I usually have more than one in mind. For example if albergue here for 12 euro were full (unlikely) there is Hostal Frances for 21 euro. I didn't make any booking and the stages are subject to change ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you! Did you notice that when you touch the red/blue route it shows the length of the stage? And touching the number shows the name of albergue. I usually have more than one in mind. For example if albergue here for 12 euro were full (unlikely) there is Hostal Frances for 21 euro. I didn't make any booking and the stages are subject to change ;)
I did notice that. I touched several to see your mileage and places you’ll stay. I really liked it. I’d like to do the same for my Camino France tha I will begin next week.

Dear Happy Penguin, sooo happy with you reports/updates! I'll start wednesday 22nd from Seville. And only booked the first 2 nights on de VdlP. I really want the flexibility. If you encounter difficulties with full hostels, pls warn so I can prepare on that. Final question: does it make any sense in bringing a light weight mattress? just in case?
Thnx again and buen camino!
NB Great map, too large stages for me :=)

Dear Happy Penguin, sooo happy with you reports/updates! I'll start wednesday 22nd from Seville. And only booked the first 2 nights on de VdlP. I really want the flexibility. If you encounter difficulties with full hostels, pls warn so I can prepare on that. Final question: does it make any sense in bringing a light weight mattress? just in case?
Me too! Start 01 October so please provide an info you can read accommodation. Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Picking up lost air mattresses on the way to Castilblanco. Day off in Casa Salvadora.

Yesterday I had a great weather on my way from Guillena to Castilblanco. The central part of the stage is a beautiful nature park which looks fantastic in the spring with grass and wildflowers, now it is brown and dusty but I still loved it. I was very lucky to walk there on a dry day because pilgrims who walk today after a lot of raining reported almost unpassable, deep and sticky mud. Probably impossible to cross it on a bike.

Since I mentioned bikes, I found an air mattress in the middle of the path, about 5 km from the start and 14 (!) km before Castilblanco. It was not a light backpacker inflatable mattress, it was a heavy, 2 kg or more, black air mattress to take in your car for camping. I decided to take it with me anyways. If I find the owner, I will save him trouble. It definitely fell off a bicycle.

20210913_085714.jpg

I found the owner (a biker) in Casa Salvadora where I checked in. He seemed to be happy and invited me for a beer. Casa Salvadora is something between a pension and albergue. It has 11 places, in 3 single rooms and 4 double rooms, but even in a double you pay for a bed, and if you are alone, you accept that another pilgrim will take the remaining bed. At this moment the price is 14 euro but it might go a bit up. The owner said she pays crazy bills for electricity because pilgrims arrive at noon and run AC non stop until they leave nexy day in the morning.

The place can be booked, but if you book and change your mind please have mercy on other pilgrims and do cancel. There is a hotel at the entrance of Castilblanco with singles for 30, doubles for 40 and triples for 50. If the price is still as it is announced right outside the hotel (why not?) it is a good deal if there are 2 or 3 friends who walk together and want to share a room.

Photo: drops of rain in the morning seen from my window

20210914_074105.jpg

Today I am taking a day off. Out of 6 people who stayed here in Casa Salvadora, three decided to take a day off because the weather warnings about downpours and thunderstorms seemed very serious (excuses, excuses). Two people took a taxi to the entrance of Berrocal which means cut their walk from 28 to 13 km. There was one brave pilgrim who decided to walk entire 28 km in rain and mud, and it was actually the only female among 6 of us. The men chickened out! Me including. The day wasn't half as bad as promised. The rain went on and off. The mud in Berrocal was probably a bigger issue

Off to dinner! See a lot more pictures and my real time reports from the way on my Twitter page. The link is somewhere up or down.

Casa Salvadora
20210914_143749.jpg
Update: I just talked to the owner of Casa Salvadora, Manuela, and she says if someone comes and the place is full she can always find alternative place to stay. She is very helpful. If you need to call a taxi to go to Berrocal she can do it because the taxi driver speaks Spanish only. Yes there is only one taxi in Castilblanco :) It is advised to call at the evening if you need a taxi for the morning next day. The number is 609 989 011 the driver's name is Juan Jose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picking up lost air mattresses on the way to Castilblanco. Day off in Casa Salvadora.

Yesterday I had a great weather on my way from Guillena to Castilblanco. The central part of the stage is a beautiful nature park which looks fantastic in the spring with grass and wildflowers, now it is brown and dusty but I still loved it. I was very lucky to walk there on a dry day because pilgrims who walk today after a lot of raining reported almost unpassable, deep and sticky mud. Probably impossible to cross it on a bike.

Since I mentioned bikes, I found an air mattress in the middle of the path, about 5 km from the start and 14 (!) km before Castilblanco. It was not a light backpacker inflatable mattress, it was a heavy, 2 kg or more, black air mattress to take in your car for camping. I decided to take it with me anyways. If I find the owner, I will save him trouble. It definitely fell off a bicycle.

View attachment 109171

I found the owner (a biker) in Casa Salvadora where I checked in. He seemed to be happy and invited me for a beer. Casa Salvadora is something between a pension and albergue. It has 11 places, in 3 single rooms and 4 double rooms, but even in a double you pay for a bed, and if you are alone, you accept that another pilgrim will take the remaining bed. At this moment the price is 14 euro but it might go a bit up. The owner said she pays crazy bills for electricity because pilgrims arrive at noon and run AC non stop until they leave nexy day in the morning.

The place can be booked, but if you book and change your mind please have mercy on other pilgrims and do cancel. There is a hotel at the entrance of Castilblanco with singles for 30, doubles for 40 and triples for 50. If the price is still as it is announced right outside the hotel (why not?) it is a good deal if there are 2 or 3 friends who walk together and want to share a room.

Photo: drops of rain in the morning seen from my window

View attachment 109172

Today I am taking a day off. Out of 6 people who stayed here in Casa Salvadora, three decided to take a day off because the weather warnings about downpours and thunderstorms seemed very serious (excuses, excuses). Two people took a taxi to the entrance of Berrocal which means cut their walk from 28 to 13 km. There was one brave pilgrim who decided to walk entire 28 km in rain and mud, and it was actually the only female among 6 of us. The men chickened out! Me including. The day wasn't half as bad as promised. The rain went on and off. The mud in Berrocal was probably a bigger issue

Off to dinner! See a lot more pictures and my real time reports from the way on my Twitter page. The link is somewhere up or down.

Casa Salvadora
View attachment 109173
Update: I just talked to the owner of Casa Salvadora, Manuela, and she says if someone comes and the place is full she can always find alternative place to stay. She is very helpful. If you need to call a taxi to go to Berrocal she can do it because the taxi driver speaks Spanish only. Yes there is only one taxi in Castilblanco :) It is advised to call at the evening if you need a taxi for the morning next day. The number is 609 989 011 the driver's name is Juan Jose.
Again thanks for all the photos on twitter, plus info here, really interesting.

does it make any sense in bringing a light weight mattress? just in case?
Honestly I don't know where I could use mattress. Not on the albergue floor because if albergue is open, there is space and per covid rules you can't sleep like that. Tonight there are just 7 pilgrims in CS, won't change much in a week. As for sleeping outside I would be (...) scared by the fauna around here. Just passed a large snake skin going out of Sevilla. When you take a rest and take off your shoes, shake them well to see if a scorpion didn't go inside. Wild boars and feral pigs are roaming free. I like walking before sunrise but twice some wild pig jumped right in front of me and almost gave me a heart attack South of Spain is like Africa. You are going for a safari, Peter, so be very careful where you place your mattress ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The owner said she pays crazy bills for electricity because pilgrims arrive at noon and run AC non stop until they leave nexy day in the morning.

Understand that Spanish power prices are climbing so much that the government has stepped in to cap them. So expect more of this going forward.

Happy Penguin, just to say thank you for the updates on your twitter account which I’m following. Don’t have a twitter account myself so unable to post my appreciation there.

Honestly I don't know where I could use mattress. Not on the albergue floor because if albergue is open, there is space and per covid rules you can't sleep like that. Tonight there are just 7 pilgrims in CS, won't change much in a week. As for sleeping outside I would be (...) scared by the fauna around here. Just passed a large snake skin going out of Sevilla. When you take a rest and take off your shoes, shake them well to see if a scorpion didn't go inside. Wild boars and feral pigs are roaming free. I like walking before sunrise but twice some wild pig jumped right in front of me and almost gave me a heart attack South of Spain is like Africa. You are going for a safari, Peter, so be very careful where you place your mattress ;)
Thanks for this very valuable info’ I’m scared already 😀 Ok, that saves 650 grams.
I’m packed now. Tomorrow a dry run here in Holland. Great to read your Twitter posts as well.
Buen Camino and take care!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can anyone advice me how to copy the map of Happy Penguin to my iPhone? I am planning to start from Seville Nov 1 and continue to Mérida. Anyone else on the way around the same time? Happy Penguin, I am very grateful to the information that you share.

Can anyone advice me how to copy the map of Happy Penguin to my iPhone? I am planning to start from Seville Nov 1 and continue to Mérida. Anyone else on the way around the same time? Happy Penguin, I am very grateful to the information that you share.
I succeeded to save the map to my Offline maps.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back