• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Shodded Pilgrim to Barefooter

suekenney

A pilgrim in life.
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances solo (2001).
Guided Groups Frances (2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and plans for 2014.)
Portuguese (2004).
English solo (2005).
Frances el contrario (2010)
The following is a blog post about my journey from walking the Camino alone in 2001 wearing boots, to walking a section from Ponferrada with a group (the last two years) while barefoot. I found my balance has improved, my feet easily adapt to different terrains, and I no longer worry about my boots getting wet! It's important to start barefooting slowly to give your body a chance to adapt. I take a pair of minimalist shoes as backup in case the terrain is really rough or my feet get sore (like when walking on the tiled sidewalks out of Ponferrada) but most of the time I'm barefoot. After walking barefoot for a few months, the sensory nerve endings in my feet eased up and I no longer feel pain when I step on surfaces like gravel. Now I can feel each stone under my foot but it doesn't hurt. It's so freeing to not feel tied to my shoes or boots to make it to Santiago. And it's like I have another set of 'eyes' offering a new sensation to journeying on the path.

Barefoot Beginners
What amazing lives you barefooters lead. Here is my interview with Real Barefooter number 13, Sue Regan Kenney. Sue and I had exchanged a message or two and I became fascinated by her tales of pilgrimage in Spain and her Dragon’s Den adventure. Great stuff, thanks Sue. http://www.barefootbeginner.com/2013/11/11/sue-kenney-real-barefooter-number-13/

Sue

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Its amazing to see what was the norm for us a kids growing up in rural Ireland in the 50's and 60's, going barefoot for at least four months of the year, is now a lifestyle choice. Very interesting link, I will have to look into going barefoot again. Thank you.

I thought the same thing. I grew up on a farm. I'd take off my shoes the last day of school, and not wear them again until school started after the summer. (Except for church, of course!) My feet were tough as nails. That has changed, however, and I find myself "ooching" and "ouching" when I walk outdoors barefoot if there are rocks. However, I agree, it still feels good...You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Me too, Annie! We all had hobbit feet and used to leg it up Crohane and Mangerton mountains no bother through thickets of gorse and never felt a thing:eek: Wasn't it awful squeezing your 'summer feet' into those hard school shoes at the start of term? I had it relatively easy as I usually wore my sister's hand me downs:(...... but the look on her face as she forced her feet into brand new shoes almost made me glad my scuffed footwear been broken in a bit;).

I was reared by a large group of grandparents. No siblings lived with us. So no hand me downs. But I got one pair of new shoes before the school year and one pair of "church" shoes (often patten leather) at Easter. Those did me all year. Funny how things have changed. People now have a pair of shoes for each outfit. We are spoiled!

I vote for barefoot if you can do it. I've heard old people lose their balance faster if they wear hard soled shoes.

On my first Camino, I met a boy doing the Way barefoot and in silence. He carried no pack or money. I slept at Manjarin the same night as he. We new pilgrims were quick to judge him, but Tomas immediately recognized the young man's vow and took gentle care of him. I passed him soaking his feet in a mud puddle on the way to Acebo. Though it had rained in the night, the ground was blistering hot! I often wonder wonder if he made it all the way to Santiago...

I saw a photograph of a young man walking barefoot this year, somewhere on the Frances. Rather him than me ! On warm sand, fine, otherwise, shoe me ! Of course one of the advantages of the Sedan Chair is being able to go go barefoot most of the time.......

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back