• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From SJPP in 2018

Ranjit

Time of past OR future Camino
Likely in April 2017
Hi, anyone thinking of walking April/May of 2018 from SJPP? From my initial research, it appears that I should be able to finish in 28 days without missing the views or straining myself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi and welcome on the forum @Ranjit

You can do the CF in 28 days, if you are fit and don't need any rest days but I always think having a few buffer days in the planning is a good idea ;-)

As for others planing to walk April/May, yes, plenty ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Hi, anyone thinking of walking April/May of 2018 from SJPP? From my initial research, it appears that I should be able to finish in 28 days without missing the views or straining myself.

I will be starting from SJPP approximately March 31, 2018..... Are you stopping in Grisson the first night?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am not sure of all stopping points yet but here is one that I am considering:

Day 1: SJPdP - Roncevaux (Roncesvalles) 27 km
Day 2: Roncevalles- Pamplona 42,5
Day 3: Pamplona-Estella 46,2
Day 4: Estella-Viana 40,4
Day 5: Viana- Nájera 42,4
Day 6: Nájera-Grañon 27,3
Day 7: Grañon-Villafranca Montes de Oca 28,4 (got lost in the dark!+9=37,4)
Day 8: Villafranca-Burgos 39,6 (+/- , took the 'river route' so may be different)
Day 9: Burgos-Castrojeriz 40,3
Day 10:Castrojeriz-Carrión de los Contes 44
Day 11:Carrión-Sahagún 37
Day 12:Sahagún-León 51
Day 13:León-Hospital de Orbigo 36,4
Day 14:Hospital-Foncebadón 42
Day 15:Foncebadón-Cacabelos 42,9
Day 16:Cacabelos-O Cebreiro 37,7
Day 17:O Cebreiro-Sarria 44,9
Day 18:Sarria-Os Chacotes 45,1
Day 19:Os Chacotes-Arca/Pedrouzo 48,5
Day 20 :pedrouzo-Santiago 20,3
Day 21:Santiago-Vilaserio 34
Day 22:Vilaserio-Corcubión 45
Day 23:Corcubión-Finisterre 12 (July 25th)

This schedule was posted by LT from Netherlands and it does appear to be doable.

I am doing a lot of research on the net and reading John Brierley book "A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago". In short, I am only somewhat certain of the start date (between my younger daughter's and my wife's birthdays) the rest I am trying to figure out.

Hi and welcome on the forum @Ranjit

You can do the CF in 28 days, if you are fit and don't need any rest days but I always think having a few buffer days in the planning is a good idea ;-)

As for others planing to walk April/May, yes, plenty ;-)

Buen Camino, SY
Thanks! Good advice.

That schedule would kill me! Do you have actually done that kind of stages in a row? Not a one day off 40+km day, but day after day after day ...

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That schedule would kill me! Do you have actually done that kind of stages in a row? Not a one day off 40+km day, but day after day after day ...

Buen Camino, SY
Have run marathons but haven't walked more than 10 miles as of yet. I considered walking as boring but now that I am older (50's), I don't mind walking much as long as it is at least 3 mph. BTW, that was a 20 day schedule. I will have couple of rest days built in my schedule. Also, there is another important issue, I haven't walked or run with 10-15lb back pack ..
Thanks for your input.

Ok, so the first thing I suggest is you go for an extended weekend hike near home. See how you do with three days of walking 20-25km each day ;-) and how you feel after the last day! Buen Camino, SY

Excellent suggestion by SYates. I think a 28-day schedule is very ambitious. Even if you have done marathons Ranjit, long distance walking is a different ball-game, especially with a 10-15 lb backpack, not to mention across terrains of varied altitudes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have run marathons but haven't walked more than 10 miles as of yet. I considered walking as boring but now that I am older (50's), I don't mind walking much as long as it is at least 3 mph. BTW, that was a 20 day schedule. I will have couple of rest days built in my schedule. Also, there is another important issue, I haven't walked or run with 10-15lb back pack ..
Thanks for your input.

Ranjit,

if you are fit enough, that schedule is totally doable. ;)

@Ranjit you may be able to do it. Not many people that I know could. Taken individually each day is doable for most people. But, as @SYates says, day after day after day? With a pack? Over rough terrain?

I can feel the shin splints from here!

Is there a reason, other than your concern about boredom, to hurry? Why not give yourself permission to take longer. Then, if you feel so inclined, by all means go fast. But with the comfort of knowing you can also stop when you feel like it and smell the roses - or see the inside of a few buildings - or relax and play cards with some other walkers.

Last edited:
Ok, so the first thing I suggest is you go for an extended weekend hike near home. See how you do with three days of walking 20-25km each day ;-) and how you feel after the last day! Buen Camino, SY
Good idea. Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Ranjit you may be able to do it. Not many people that I know could. Taken individually each day is doable for most people. But, as @SYates says, day after day after day? With a pack? Over rough terrain?

I can feel the shin splits from here!

Is there a reason, other than your concern about boredom, to hurry? Why not give yourself permission to take longer. Then, if you feel so inclined, by all means go fast. But with the comfort of knowing you can also stop when you feel like it and smell the roses - or see the inside of a few buildings - or relax and play cards with some other walkers.
You are correct. I may do just what you advised. Besides, if I don't make it all the way within my vacation time, I can always come back and finish. After all this is not a race.
The main reason for the schedule is for training. I find it easier to work with regimented approach rather than without a plan. Of course, training with a schedule and actual execution will most likely differ.
I very much appreciate your candid advice. Thank you!

I am not sure of all stopping points yet but here is one that I am considering:

Day 1: SJPdP - Roncevaux (Roncesvalles) 27 km
Day 2: Roncevalles- Pamplona 42,5
Day 3: Pamplona-Estella 46,2
Day 4: Estella-Viana 40,4
Day 5: Viana- Nájera 42,4
Day 6: Nájera-Grañon 27,3
Day 7: Grañon-Villafranca Montes de Oca 28,4 (got lost in the dark!+9=37,4)
Day 8: Villafranca-Burgos 39,6 (+/- , took the 'river route' so may be different)
Day 9: Burgos-Castrojeriz 40,3
Day 10:Castrojeriz-Carrión de los Contes 44
Day 11:Carrión-Sahagún 37
Day 12:Sahagún-León 51
Day 13:León-Hospital de Orbigo 36,4
Day 14:Hospital-Foncebadón 42
Day 15:Foncebadón-Cacabelos 42,9
Day 16:Cacabelos-O Cebreiro 37,7
Day 17:O Cebreiro-Sarria 44,9
Day 18:Sarria-Os Chacotes 45,1
Day 19:Os Chacotes-Arca/Pedrouzo 48,5
Day 20 :pedrouzo-Santiago 20,3
Day 21:Santiago-Vilaserio 34
Day 22:Vilaserio-Corcubión 45
Day 23:Corcubión-Finisterre 12 (July 25th)

This schedule was posted by LT from Netherlands and it does appear to be doable.

I am doing a lot of research on the net and reading John Brierley book "A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago". In short, I am only somewhat certain of the start date (between my younger daughter's and my wife's birthdays) the rest I am trying to figure out.
The trick in a Camino schedule, is not to have one. You'll find that you do more distance some days than you had planned, and less on others. Take each day as it happens . . .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My plan, Lord willing is to start my Camino in either late April or early May 2018 but I'm going to give myself 5 weeks to do it.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Buen Camino, SY
I am planning on walking in April, ending in May. I will probably be by myself so I am hoping to walk with others that I meet. I have read that at a few places the route is not easily marked and people can get a bit lost. What are your thoughts on this???

@sunny B people only get lost if the weather is bad and there is snow or fog. Check at the Pilgrims Office in SJPDP when you arrive - they will give you weather advice and directions, you can also pick up a credential there, and find accommodation if you are staying the night.

Providing the weather is OK, hundreds of other pilgrims will be leaving St Jean at the same time, so it is hard to go wrong.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning on walking in April, ending in May. I will probably be by myself so I am hoping to walk with others that I meet. I have read that at a few places the route is not easily marked and people can get a bit lost. What are your thoughts on this???

Welcome to the forum @sunny B
If your chosen route is the Camino Frances you will be certainly NOT walking alone in April/May ;-) and the route is very well (actually idiot-proof) marked. Buen Camino, SY

PS By idiot-proof I mean that term in figuratively, not suggesting that anybody here on the forum or on the Camino is an idiot ;-)

Walking the French route late March (for however long it takes)...is it reasonable to be able to find WIFI in the smaller towns or is it only available in larger cities (such as Pamplona, Burgos, León, Santiago de Compostela).
Also, is it worth it to change out the SIM card in Spain (for an iphone) which would mean being assigned a temporary Spanish phone number... or is it better to just forego it but and be charged the $$$rates from Verizon? (The last info I found was from a 2009 thread so if I could find some more recent info it would be much appreciated.) Muchísimas gracias.

Walking the CF you will find WiFi everywhere.
Using a local SIM is likely to be a lot cheaper...
And of course easier for people to call you back if required!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back