• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From South Africa to SJPDP - Fly to Paris or Madrid

Romay

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking first Camino in September & October (2015)
Hi, I'm looking forward to walking my first Camino at the beginning of September! I will be flying in from Johannesburg, South Africa, and trying to decide whether to fly to Paris or to Madrid. The flight prices are more or less the same. Is it simpler / cheaper / quicker to get to SJPDP from Madrid, or Paris. I'll be on a very tight budget and would prefer not to have to stay in hotels overnight, but at the same time don't want to spend hours and hours on busses and trains after a 24hr flight - I'm not so young anymore ;). Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Cant wait for the walk!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Romay, I'm also a South African from EL, I walked last year from Le Puy en Vellay. You can also fly into Barcelona (book the flight back home from Madrid), and then make your way from there to SJPdP. Maybe train to Pamplona and then a bus to SJPdP. I flew Emirates. Yes, our SA Rand unfortunately doesn't go far in Europe:(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
These days we prefer Madrid. It is cheaper if you need to stay overnight (Paris is horrendously expensive) and the train from Madrid to Pamplona is cheap. From Pamplona it is a local bus to Roncesvales (I think it also goes all the way through to SJPDP these days - anyone have information on this? ) If you don't want to walk from Roncesvales and there is no bus you can stay at Corazon Puro. They will pick you up from the train in Pamplona, feed you, give you a bed for the night, ferry you to SJPDP - all for a reasonable price.

Tip - if you are using the train in Spain, read this first

http://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets_for_Spain

Hi
We did our first Camino this year late April and flew into Barcelona, you arrive early morning and still have time to catch the train to Pamplona, where we shared a taxi to SJPDP. Was very convenient! We spent one day in Barcelona to recover and catch the train the next morning - Barcelona is beautiful! Enjoy your Camino and know you will return a different (and better) person!!

Hi
We did our first Camino this year late April and flew into Barcelona, you arrive early morning and still have time to catch the train to Pamplona, where we shared a taxi to SJPDP. Was very convenient! We spent one day in Barcelona to recover and catch the train the next morning - Barcelona is beautiful! Enjoy your Camino and know you will return a different (and better) person!!
Hi, which airline did you fly from South Africa that took you to Barcelona? Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Paris to SJPdP - take SNCF train from CDG2 or Montparnasse to Bayonne. Take SNCF TER train from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains and bus to SJPdP. A lot of people report problems using SNCF site searching Paris to SJPdP so do it in two legs.

Madrid to SJPdP - Take Renfe train from Atocha or ALSA bus from either airport T4 or Avenida de America to Pamplona. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona bus station to SJPdP. CONDA is owned by ALSA so the schedule is on ALSA website.

After being in travel for 24 hours I would recommend staying in either Paris or Madrid for a night before continuing.

A factor to consider is how you will get home from Santiago.

Here are links - you can do your own time appreciation and cost analysis.

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en/

Hi Romay, I'm also a South African from EL, I walked last year from Le Puy en Vellay. You can also fly into Barcelona (book the flight back home from Madrid), and then make your way from there to SJPdP. Maybe train to Pamplona and then a bus to SJPdP. I flew Emirates. Yes, our SA Rand unfortunately doesn't go far in Europe:([/QU
Paris to SJPdP - take SNCF train from CDG2 or Montparnasse to Bayonne. Take SNCF TER train from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains and bus to SJPdP. A lot of people report problems using SNCF site searching Paris to SJPdP so do it in two legs.

Madrid to SJPdP - Take Renfe train from Atocha or ALSA bus from either airport T4 or Avenida de America to Pamplona. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona bus station to SJPdP. CONDA is owned by ALSA so the schedule is on ALSA website.

After being in travel for 24 hours I would recommend staying in either Paris or Madrid for a night before continuing.

A factor to consider is how you will get home from Santiago.

Here are links - you can do your own time appreciation and cost analysis.

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone for all your input. My son booked me a ticket (what a blessing) so I fly into Paris, landing at 14.30 on the 8th of September. (Fly back from Madrid) Judging from the brief look I've had at the websites it that looks like I'll be too late to get to SJPDP & will need to spend a night in Paris. :(. (Yes Elsabe, our Rand is not in a good state.) Any suggestions on a cheap but good hostel where we can book ahead. My friend is travelling on a South African passport so we have to furnish full details of our accommodation for the visa. Makes it a bit tricky having to plan & book every detail. So thanks for all the info!

I fly into Paris, landing at 14.30 on the 8th of September

Hi Romay, that’s a shame as the direct Air France flight from Jo’burg arrives in Paris at 5:30am, so plenty of time to get to St Jean the same day. I would suggest you get out of Paris (very expensive) and get to Bayonne the same day, where there are places to stay near the train station. It may be possible to organise a visa by pre-booking accommodation, with free cancellation, on booking.com. Once you have the visa you can then cancel the booking. Jill

Thanks everyone for all your input. My son booked me a ticket (what a blessing) so I fly into Paris, landing at 14.30 on the 8th of September. (Fly back from Madrid) Judging from the brief look I've had at the websites it that looks like I'll be too late to get to SJPDP & will need to spend a night in Paris. :(. (Yes Elsabe, our Rand is not in a good state.) Any suggestions on a cheap but good hostel where we can book ahead. My friend is travelling on a South African passport so we have to furnish full details of our accommodation for the visa. Makes it a bit tricky having to plan & book every detail. So thanks for all the info!

I don't know about where to find cheap hotels, however, I would suggest looking in the vicinity of Massy. The RER train (light rail transit) from the airport goes there and there is an SNCF TGV station located next to the RER station with trains to Bayonne. Massy is located well away from downtown Paris.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Romay for Paris the easiest and cheapest we have found is the Ibis right at the airport. After a long flight it makes sense to go straight there, and not have to cope with getting into Paris until the following day.

Instead of spending the night in Paris (unless you really want to ;) ), consider taking the night train to Bayonne. I did this last year. Departs around 22:00 from the Austerlitz station and arrives the following morning in Bayonne around 08:30. Thus you still have the afternoon to view some iconic Parisian sights and then travel onwards whilst sleeping. From Bayonne it's a quick bus/train ride to SJPdP.

If you do decide on the night train from Paris Austerlitz to Bayonne you will save money by booking early. There are sleeping cars ie. couchettes in both first and second class. Some cars are reserved for women. See more at www.voyages-SNCF.com.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back