• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

from St Jean to Roncesvalles - Napoleon Route

santa666

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portugues 2018
Camino Portugues 2019
Hello friends,

I will start my camino on 16. April and I can not find, if Napoleon route is open in this time, is anybody who can advice, or help where to find this information? Depends this on actual weather situation, or are there any season closings?

Thanks, Denis

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you get to St Jean the pilgrim office will advise you on conditions on the Napoleon route and its best to take that advice. They will have the most up to date information.
Buen Camino.

Thanks, Im the same mind, i was just interesting, if somebosy walk this way in last days, or if is pernamently disabled, beacause of winter time...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
there is last update from begiinging of March :evil: 1 month ago, thats why I need updated information...

The thread mentioned above is being updated daily. There are several pages of posts. Please note little numeric boxes by thread title and choose highest number to get to most recent threads.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
youre right, I need to take glasses :), thanks for help. I hope that weahter will be better in next week, so walk on Napoleon route will be possible, or not so dangerous...

At the moment it's covered in snow, deep snow, and people have been rescued from there just recently and a couple weeks ago a 42 year old hiker died up there in the snow. You'll find out more when you get to SJPP but unfortunately the alternative is walking up and over on the road which is rather awful and boring which I have done. You may consider starting from Pamplona. The link posted above is a good one and you can PM the OP Navaricano who lives in Pamplona and is in contact with officials in Roncevalles.

Pamplona received some snow a couple days ago and I bet the Napoleon Route is under A LOT of snow at the moment.

not good news :cry:

I hope that warm weather from forecast will help to "delete" this snow, but loosing all hope right now...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Don't hold your breath. We're talking about mountain-top snow at more than 1400 meters (4600 feet). It's probably 2 meters deep. PM Navarricano he lives in Pamplona and will give you up-to-the-minute information regarding snow. Remember, people are being rescued up there, often by helicopter at great expense (don't forget your insurance!) and others are losing their lives.

If you don't want to walk on the road to Roncevalles then consider beginning in Pamplona. Don't hesitate to PM Navarricano who started this thread which I think you already have:

el-camino-frances/topic16961.html

still hoping, that temperatures above 14 C will heat the snow till 17 of april... :wink:

Temperatures above 14 Celsius? Where? At 1400 meters? It wasn't even 14 degrees in Pamplona today. But yes, there is nothing wrong with hoping, sounds good!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We left SJPP at the end of March, and reluctantly heeded the advice of the Pilgrim office to not take the Napoleon Route. In hindsight, all is well! I probably lasted longer this way. It is all good, so just take the road the Camino gives you. Buen Camino!

pilgrum said:
We left SJPP at the end of March, and reluctantly heeded the advice of the Pilgrim office to not take the Napoleon Route. In hindsight, all is well! I probably lasted longer this way. It is all good, so just take the road the Camino gives you. Buen Camino!

thank you pilgrum for information, I decided today to stop watching weather forecast and other internet thinks and I will take this journey as it comes, good and bad as well.

but still hoping, that weather will be fine for most of my way :D

Buen Camino

Hi
Currently in SJPDP, starting tomorrow. The Napoleon route is closed and likely to be closed for some time. It is very(!) cold here at the moment.
So much so i just had to buy a pair of clothes and another fleece!
It is very beautiful though!!
Good luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We have enjoyed 14 days of rain, and are taking a day off in Burgos. It's all been great!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back