A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

From tropical Australia to the Levante in February

Camino(s) past & future
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Future? Levante-VDLP-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
We leave Australia on the 1st, fly to Barcelona and have a couple of days playing tourist to adjust to the time and climate difference ie going from 30+ deg C with maximum humidity to anywhere between 0-20 deg C and comparatively dry. And cold rain which will be a novelty. Official start date is 6th of February to start walking from Valencia.
So Levante, Astorga leg of the VDLP, a tiny part of the CF, the Invierno and then the Sanabres into SdC. I'm hoping to make it to Muxia as well.

Anyone else walking those times?

Camino(s) past & future
C. Francés (2004-), C. Portugués, C. de Madrid, 1/2 V. Plata, 1/8 Levante, hospitalera Grado 2016.
The first few days may be quite warm - the orange groves of Valencia were quite warm when we walked in December, a few years ago.

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés febr/march (2012)
Camino Francés febr/march (2019)
By the time you land in Barcelona I'll be almost packing for my Francés :).
I wouldn't count on 20 degrees......but less. Anyway, if you both need an extra jumper :Dor any help during your "adjusting days", just tell me, and I'll be glad to be useful

20c would also surprise me! I walked Valencia-Toledo in the months of June/July but the Toledo-Zamora section in early April and I experienced freezing rain in the mountains and temperatures of 1c leaving Avila. Gloves and hat are a must!

JLWV

Camino(s) past & future
Levante (2014-2016); Levante to Toledo (2017-2018), to be continued; Fisterra & Muxia (2018);
The Met Office offers the statistics over the last 30 years:
For February
Valencia: average minimum 7,8 C, average 12,5 C, average maximum 17,1 C, relative moisture 64%, but this is the coast, after a week you will be in a different climate...
Albacete, same datas: 1,0 - 6,8 - 12,5 - 71%
Toledo: 2,6 - 8,3 - 14,0 - 69 %
Just before Avila you will reach an altitude of 1.300 m, and snow is usual there.
Buen camino

Camino(s) past & future
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Future? Levante-VDLP-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
The Met Office offers the statistics over the last 30 years:
For February
Valencia: average minimum 7,8 C, average 12,5 C, average maximum 17,1 C, relative moisture 64%, but this is the coast, after a week you will be in a different climate...
Albacete, same datas: 1,0 - 6,8 - 12,5 - 71%
Toledo: 2,6 - 8,3 - 14,0 - 69 %
Just before Avila you will reach an altitude of 1.300 m, and snow is usual there.
Buen camino
While I have lived in the tropics for the last couple of decades, I originate from southern NZ. I'm assuming late winter/spring temps similar to parts of Central Otago (and Sanabria reminds me so much of that area!) so have enough variety of clothes to be able to cope with subzero conditions including awful wind. My biggest worry is that my partner's asthma will become an issue.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Mar-Apr 2017, Jan-Feb 2019
Hi Donna.
Fellow Aussie here. I will be starting my Camino on 21st Jan but I'm doing the Frances. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths in Astoria? I'll keep an eye out for you. Been Camino!

Most read today

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%