• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From tropical Australia to the Levante in February

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
We leave Australia on the 1st, fly to Barcelona and have a couple of days playing tourist to adjust to the time and climate difference ie going from 30+ deg C with maximum humidity to anywhere between 0-20 deg C and comparatively dry. And cold rain which will be a novelty. Official start date is 6th of February to start walking from Valencia.
So Levante, Astorga leg of the VDLP, a tiny part of the CF, the Invierno and then the Sanabres into SdC. I'm hoping to make it to Muxia as well.

Anyone else walking those times?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first few days may be quite warm - the orange groves of Valencia were quite warm when we walked in December, a few years ago.

By the time you land in Barcelona I'll be almost packing for my Francés :).
I wouldn't count on 20 degrees......but less. Anyway, if you both need an extra jumper :Dor any help during your "adjusting days", just tell me, and I'll be glad to be useful

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
20c would also surprise me! I walked Valencia-Toledo in the months of June/July but the Toledo-Zamora section in early April and I experienced freezing rain in the mountains and temperatures of 1c leaving Avila. Gloves and hat are a must!

The Met Office offers the statistics over the last 30 years:
For February
Valencia: average minimum 7,8 C, average 12,5 C, average maximum 17,1 C, relative moisture 64%, but this is the coast, after a week you will be in a different climate...
Albacete, same datas: 1,0 - 6,8 - 12,5 - 71%
Toledo: 2,6 - 8,3 - 14,0 - 69 %
Just before Avila you will reach an altitude of 1.300 m, and snow is usual there.
Buen camino

The Met Office offers the statistics over the last 30 years:
For February
Valencia: average minimum 7,8 C, average 12,5 C, average maximum 17,1 C, relative moisture 64%, but this is the coast, after a week you will be in a different climate...
Albacete, same datas: 1,0 - 6,8 - 12,5 - 71%
Toledo: 2,6 - 8,3 - 14,0 - 69 %
Just before Avila you will reach an altitude of 1.300 m, and snow is usual there.
Buen camino
While I have lived in the tropics for the last couple of decades, I originate from southern NZ. I'm assuming late winter/spring temps similar to parts of Central Otago (and Sanabria reminds me so much of that area!) so have enough variety of clothes to be able to cope with subzero conditions including awful wind. My biggest worry is that my partner's asthma will become an issue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Donna.
Fellow Aussie here. I will be starting my Camino on 21st Jan but I'm doing the Frances. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths in Astoria? I'll keep an eye out for you. Been Camino!

Best wishes for your upcoming trip. Hope you will be willing to share some details about your trip as it is certainly on my list of future Caminos. Living here in Barcelona, it is an advantage with the starting point being relatively close by. I'll soon be visiting Valencia for the first time with a trip planned for the annual fallas fest in March. Do enjoy the varied scenery which you are certain to pass through on your way to Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back