• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

From USA to St Jean Pied de Port

Eddiebee

Eddiebee
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP to SDC May & June 2017
I have a friend that was preparing to walk the Camino Frances. She asked me several questions and then asked how to get from Atlanta to the starting place (which, for her was St Jean Pied de Port). I sent her an email with suggestions for the first couple of days. I am posting it here in the hope that other pilgrims from the USA will find it helpful.

Delta offers nonstop flights to Paris, London, Barcelona, and Madrid. I found the flight to Madrid to be the most convenient and least expensive. From Madrid, there is a flight to Biarritz, France. You will need to go to iberia.com to book this flight. It costs about $85 with one checked bag included.

Flying from Atlanta, you will arrive in Madrid around 8:30 AM at terminal T-1. Usually it only takes about 15 minutes to clear passport control. The line looks long but it moves quickly. You have plenty of time. There is a free bus that will take you to terminal T-4, which seems to be about 2 miles away. The flight to Biarritz is between noon and 1PM on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays (this may change but that is what is is now). You will probably have a couple of hours free time before the flight. From the gate, you might load onto a bus that will drive you to the plane on the tarmac. The flight over the mountains is a preview of things to come.

A couple of weeks before you leave email contact@expressbourricot.com and request a shared taxi from Biarritz to Saint Jean Pied de Port. They will pick you up at the airport and take you to the tourist office in SJPDP. This is about an hour ride. They are very good. They do this every day and know what they are doing. If there are others to share the ride, and there will be, the cost will be about 20 euros. You will pay them in cash when you get to SJPDP, so have a few euros with you. You can get them from an ATM in Madrid airport but only get a small amount, the airport is expensive.

There are other ways to get to SJPDP from the USA. Bus, train, taxi, or a combination can be used. They are more time consuming, more confusing, and usually more expensive. For example, the flight from Paris to Biarritz cost less that the train and is several hours quicker. There is also the expense of an extra night’s lodging if you spend 10 to 12 hours in transit.

Once you are in SJPDP you should go directly to the pilgrim’s office. You can get your shell if you don’t yet have one and they will give you a list of the albergues and elevation changes all the way to SDC. Also, they like to keep a record of the home countries of pilgrims starting their pilgrimage at SJPDP. The taxi driver will tell you how to get there but it is easy. Climb the steps in front of where the taxi parks. Turn right through the city wall at the first opening that you see. It is not far. Walk to the next street and turn left, up the hill. The pilgrim office is a few buildings up on the left. I used their list of albergues as my only guide for the entire camino.

When you leave the pilgrim’s office, go down the hill to the church on the right just before you cross the bridge. There is a water fountain at the church with good cold water. Down the street across from the church there is an ATM about the middle of the block on the right. See the discussion on financial considerations for more info on ATM’s and the big mistake that you do not want to make.

Now you have a decision to make (actually you made it before you left home). You have plenty of time to walk to Orisson, if you are walking the Napoleon route. It is only about 5 miles to Orisson, but you should allow between 2 and 2-1/2 hours because of the climb. Send an email with an exact date to refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr and pay in advance for your reservation if you wish to stay there. The second day you will only have about 12 miles including a steep descent to get you to Roncesvalles, or you can do as I did and walk another 3 miles to Espinal.

Or, you could spend the first night in SJPDP and walk 17 miles to Roncesvalles the first day on either route. It is very doable but requires a long day of walking. Figure about 7 to 8 hours of walking and at least 2-30 minute rest breaks. If you leave at 7AM you should get there around 4PM. A great place to stay in SJPDP is Beilari beilari.aterpea@gmail.com I suggest that you reserve a room. Their dinner is a great experience as is the evening meal at Orisson. You will meet new people at either/both that you will continue to see along the Camino.

I hope this is helpful. You may contact me by P M.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great advice Eddiebee! The only thing I would add is that the wait at passport control in Madrid may be longer. Our wait was over an hour - there was a shortage of agents or something. Anyway, 8:30 a.m. arrival to 1:00 p.m. flight is still lots of time to make the flight even if there is an unusually long wait. Thanks again for taking the time to write this - I'm sure many future pilgrims will find it very helpful.

This is an incredibly helpful post for future pilgrims, Eddiebee! The after arrival details are great information for anyone...not only those arriving from the USA. Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Usually it only takes about 15 minutes to clear passport control. The line looks long but it moves quickly

Allow double that time at least, better to be prepared than sorry.

You will pay them in cash when you get to SJPDP, so have a few euros with you. You can get them from an ATM in Madrid airport but only get a small amount, the airport is expensive.

Ask your bank before you leave for 100 euros in small notes , forget the expense.

Now you have a decision to make (actually you made it before you left home). You have plenty of time to walk to Orisson, if you are walking the Napoleon route. It is only about 5 miles to Orisson, but you should allow between 2 and 2-1/2 hours because of the climb. Send an email with an exact date to refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr and pay in advance for your reservation if you wish to stay there. The second day you will only have about 12 miles including a steep descent to get you to Roncesvalles, or you can do as I did and walk another 3 miles to Espinal.

If you wish to get over jet lag walk to Orisson on arrival without your pack , get the taxi back .
No extra cost in all this as accommodation in St JPP is less .
Next day taxi back to Orisson and then you will reach Burguete or Espinal without a problem.

A great post Ed ,

The quickest way from the US to SJPP depends on where you live in the US. For example, the quickest way from Seattle to SJPP is to fly nonstop to Paris, then take the high speed train to Bayonne, and then take the local train to SJPP. But your answer is correct for flying from Atlanta.

The quickest way from the US to SJPP depends on where you live in the US. For example, the quickest way from Seattle to SJPP is to fly nonstop to Paris, then take the high speed train to Bayonne, and then take the local train to SJPP. But your answer is correct for flying from Atlanta.
Good on you for mentioning that. Absolutely true.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a friend that was preparing to walk the Camino Frances. She asked me several questions and then asked how to get from Atlanta to the starting place (which, for her was St Jean Pied de Port). I sent her an email with suggestions for the first couple of days. I am posting it here in the hope that other pilgrims from the USA will find it helpful.

Delta offers nonstop flights to Paris, London, Barcelona, and Madrid. I found the flight to Madrid to be the most convenient and least expensive. From Madrid, there is a flight to Biarritz, France. You will need to go to iberia.com to book this flight. It costs about $85 with one checked bag included.

Flying from Atlanta, you will arrive in Madrid around 8:30 AM at terminal T-1. Usually it only takes about 15 minutes to clear passport control. The line looks long but it moves quickly. You have plenty of time. There is a free bus that will take you to terminal T-4, which seems to be about 2 miles away. The flight to Biarritz is between noon and 1PM on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays (this may change but that is what is is now). You will probably have a couple of hours free time before the flight. From the gate, you might load onto a bus that will drive you to the plane on the tarmac. The flight over the mountains is a preview of things to come.

A couple of weeks before you leave email contact@expressbourricot.com and request a shared taxi from Biarritz to Saint Jean Pied de Port. They will pick you up at the airport and take you to the tourist office in SJPDP. This is about an hour ride. They are very good. They do this every day and know what they are doing. If there are others to share the ride, and there will be, the cost will be about 20 euros. You will pay them in cash when you get to SJPDP, so have a few euros with you. You can get them from an ATM in Madrid airport but only get a small amount, the airport is expensive.

There are other ways to get to SJPDP from the USA. Bus, train, taxi, or a combination can be used. They are more time consuming, more confusing, and usually more expensive. For example, the flight from Paris to Biarritz cost less that the train and is several hours quicker. There is also the expense of an extra night’s lodging if you spend 10 to 12 hours in transit.

Once you are in SJPDP you should go directly to the pilgrim’s office. You can get your shell if you don’t yet have one and they will give you a list of the albergues and elevation changes all the way to SDC. Also, they like to keep a record of the home countries of pilgrims starting their pilgrimage at SJPDP. The taxi driver will tell you how to get there but it is easy. Climb the steps in front of where the taxi parks. Turn right through the city wall at the first opening that you see. It is not far. Walk to the next street and turn left, up the hill. The pilgrim office is a few buildings up on the left. I used their list of albergues as my only guide for the entire camino.

When you leave the pilgrim’s office, go down the hill to the church on the right just before you cross the bridge. There is a water fountain at the church with good cold water. Down the street across from the church there is an ATM about the middle of the block on the right. See the discussion on financial considerations for more info on ATM’s and the big mistake that you do not want to make.

Or, you could spend the first night in SJPDP and walk 17 miles to Roncesvalles the first day on either route. It is very doable but requires a long day of walking. Figure about 7 to 8 hours of walking and at least 2-30 minute rest breaks. If you leave at 7AM you should get there around 4PM. A great place to stay in SJPDP is Beilari beilari.aterpea@gmail.com I suggest that you reserve a room. Their dinner is a great experience as is the evening meal at Orisson. You will meet new people at either/both that you will continue to see along the Camino.

I hope this is helpful. You may contact me at Ed.on.the.Camino@gmail.com

Or, fly to Madrid and take the bus to Pamplona from T4. Spend the night or a day. And then bus to SJPP. I flew in to Bordeaux and took the train to SJPP via Bayonne, 2 hours. The walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles is about 8 hours, reserve in advance. Most importantly, relax and enjoy every step.

I hope this is helpful. You may contact me at Ed.on.the.Camino@gmail.com

Ed, great info. I hope you’re doing well!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also, when I last checked, a plane from Paris to Biarritz was quicker and cheaper than the high speed train. Thanks for your input.

Also, when I last checked, a plane from Paris to Biarritz was quicker and cheaper than the high speed train. Thanks for your input.

A plane from Paris to Biarritz is faster than the train from Paris to Bayonne. In fact, I believe the plane flys at close to 600 mph while the train can barely do 200 mph.

But that's not the question.

The question is whether landing in Paris, sitting around the airport (or even changing airports) to board your connecting flight, flying to Barritz, landing, making your way out of the airport, making your way to Bayonne, and waiting for the infrequent train to SJPP is faster than landing in Paris, making your way to Gare Montparnasse, boarding a frequent high speed train to Bayonne, sleeping for four hours in a comfortable chair, and then immediately catching the synchronized train to SJPP is faster.

If you crunch those numbers, I think you'll find that the train is "faster" than the airplane.

But if sitting in an airport for six hours waiting for your connecting flight, while others are arriving in SJPP by the "slower" train, is your thing, than I say go for it.

A plane from Paris to Biarritz is faster than the train from Paris to Bayonne. In fact, I believe the plane flys at close to 600 mph while the train can barely do 200 mph.

But that's not the question.

The question is whether landing in Paris, sitting around the airport (or even changing airports) to board your connecting flight, flying to Barritz, landing, making your way out of the airport, making your way to Bayonne, and waiting for the infrequent train to SJPP is faster than landing in Paris, making your way to Gare Montparnasse, boarding a frequent high speed train to Bayonne, sleeping for four hours in a comfortable chair, and then immediately catching the synchronized train to SJPP is faster.

If you crunch those numbers, I think you'll find that the train is "faster" than the airplane.

But if sitting in an airport for six hours waiting for your connecting flight, while others are arriving in SJPP by the "slower" train, is your thing, than I say go for it.
Well, since I'm not going back for a few months and will fly to Madrid anyway, I'll wait and see what is available later..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Back