• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Vilo do Conde to Rates

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello
I am somewhat directionally challenged and loved all those yellow arrows on the Frances!
We will be walking in Sept. From Porto to Matosinhos the next day to Vilo do Conde and the next day through Rates to Barcelos. I have a Brierly guide but am wondering how well marked the routes are, especially on the third day and if there is an idiot proof route? Should we cab to Rates or Arcos from Vilo to Conde and walk from there? What about the first day - is the route obvious or marked? Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will be fine Auburnfive. When walking out of Vila do Conde follow till crossing the metroline and the yellow arrow will appear. Also last year a German Camino group put up some stickers on lampposts etc in order to find the way more easily.
The alternative route close to Aquaducto through Beiriz ( in the Brierley guide ) proved to be more challenging to some of my fellow pilgrims.

I actually had more trouble finding my way walking into Vila do Conde...one way or another I detoured from the coast after Vila Cha and did my alternative wandering....say no more....:)

Auburnfive, may daughter and I just returned from walking from Porto in late May, arriving in SdC in early June. We started by taking the metro to Matoshinos, then crossing the river from there and hiking along the coast to Vilo do Conde, which was a wonderful day and great start to our Camino. The newly opened municipal alburgue, Santa Clara, in VdC is great. We followed the aquaduct route from there through Beiriz without any issues (though we did stop for direction assistance a few times), staying in Rates, (which not only has a great alburgue, but probably the coolest sello/stamp that we collected anywhere!) and from there to Barcelos. We used the 2016 Brierley, which we found very helpful, particularly the maps. For the most part, the way seemed very well marked. I became fascinated with how many quirky and interesting places there can be for a waymarking Camino shell symbol or arrow.

There was one sort of tricky part, as I recall. In the Brierley, one the alternative route through Beiriz, the directions say to go right and then immediately left opposite a school, after passing a cafe on Rua Bouco, and reaching Rua Central. The directions then say: "continue to follow this track..." What seemed odd was that after having mostly been on boardwalk or cobbled roads, you are on a dirt or pebbled track/steambed. That track appears to be merely a farm turn row, but it isn't. Unless flooded, which it was when we were there, it is a footpath between fields. You may have to leave the track, as we did because the track itself was a small stream of water due to the rain the previous day and earlier in the morning, and walk along the edges of the bordering fields. It leads between fields, and then connects to a gravel road that climbs up through a beautiful eucalyptus forest. At the T junction with another road, at the top your climb, you can go across the road through the woods (there are a few waymarks on that path - and it's the one we took), or turn and follow the road into SPdRates. I think my daughter's GPS mapping on her Samsung Galaxy 5 was a big help in that particular spot, and we might have been pretty confused without that aid. But it was the only piece of our entire Camino that made me ever wonder if we were "off the beaten path." We weren't. And it was a nice lesson, early on our Camino, in faith and trust in your preparation, in the adventure, and in, after using your best judgements and instinct, letting it happen and allowing yourself to be guided.

You shouldn't have a problem, otherwise, that a quick question of a friendly local won't resolve.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would start walking from the Sé Cathedral in Porto which is the natural starting point for me in Porto and where you can obtain your credentials in the tourist office just outside the Cathedral, get your first stamp, see the cloisters and walk down to the river and follow the river to the Atlantic Ocean(magnificient!).

Spend your first night in Matosinhos, have a GREAT SEAFOOD/ FISH dinner in Matosinhos and have a second easy day to Vila do Conde or further.

I would continue walking along Coastal (done it 3 times) camino at least to Caminha but most probably all the way to Redondela (via A Guarda, Baiona, Vigo).

From Redondela to Pontevedra and then following the Variante Espiritual to Padron staying at the Convento de Herbon with communal dinner and breakfast.

All this off season.

Perfect.

Hello
I am somewhat directionally challenged and loved all those yellow arrows on the Frances!
We will be walking in Sept. From Porto to Matosinhos the next day to Vilo do Conde and the next day through Rates to Barcelos. I have a Brierly guide but am wondering how well marked the routes are, especially on the third day and if there is an idiot proof route? Should we cab to Rates or Arcos from Vilo to Conde and walk from there? What about the first day - is the route obvious or marked? Thanks
I walked Vilo do Conde to Rates a few weeks ago and it is a great way of getting back to the central route. There is, however, not a yellow arrow to be seen. The arrows near VdC metro station seem to head away from the aqueduct and had me confused for a while. Best thing is just to follow the aqueduct which is high and easy to see, but in places not easy to reach because busy roads weave through this area. I was glad of my yellow fluorescent rain cover while crossing one main road! Once past this short section the route is easy to follow with directions (the current Brierly is good) and feels like a short off Camino adventure. One cafe owner invited me in for coffee and a family Fado recital which I found very moving. Wishing you a great Camino whichever option you choose.

I actually had more trouble finding my way walking into Vila do Conde...one way or another I detoured from the coast after Vila Cha and did my alternative wandering....say no more....:)

No doubt this happened because people have painted arrows to divert us towards bars and cafes. Almost happened to me, but villagers sent me the right way. When in doubt, do not turn inland, just follow the coast. In Vila Cha do not head towards the bus shelter but keep going straight, passing a few shops and a place where small fishing boats are repaired. You know it is time to turn inland whenyou approach the drydock for large ships.

Back to the topic of Vila do Conde to Rates, I tried to go following the aquaduct and got completely lost. If you want to see the aquaduct, great, take a short stroll in the evening, but to head to Rates get back to the mosatery by the bridge, you will see the arrows there. You actually see the signs for the Camino at that intersection as you walk into town, on the right hand side after passing the bridge.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From Redondela to Pontevedra and then following the Variante Espiritual to Padron staying at the Convento de Herbon with communal dinner and breakfast. Perfect.

Hebron monastery was closed when I went in June. Has it reopened? And a Big yes to the Espiritual. It's beauty was a most welcomed change from the rest of this route for me.

The monastery of Herbon is open for pilgrims only June to October every day from 3 pm to 10 pm.
20 beds.
Donativo.

Are you sure? Have you been there lately, or know anyone who has?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hebron monastery was closed when I went in June. Has it reopened? And a Big yes to the Espiritual. It's beauty was a most welcomed change from the rest of this route for me.

Hola!

1) According to gronze.com it is open.

2) I contacted a friend in Spain and he knows Odette the hospitalera who is serving there now. He says it is open.

3) It was open about 4 weeks ago when I was around.

4) I did send an e- mail to the albergue but no answer yet (they must be busy with the pilgrims signing in/ preparing communal dinner).

And finally - all albergues are CERRADO some times due to urgencies.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
I walked it a few days ago, and it was reasonably marked. Some arrows were faded at the beginningate (you have to pay attention), but it got better. The best thing to do is to stop at the tourist office and ask there for directions how to get out of Villa do Conde and how to reach Rates via Arcos. They will give you a map which I found quite helpful. I did not get lost at all. Ultreia!

Also, Casa Fernanda is a wonderful place to stop for the night. You will not regret it.

@Anemone del Camino
I got an email from Odette today.
She says:

Buenas tardes Annie;

Este año el albergue del convento de San Antonio de Herbón (Padrón) estará abierto hasta Octubre inclusive, y abre a las 16 h.

Para los que quieran asistir, a las 19 h. se hace una visita guiada por la iglesia y parte del convento, a las 20 h. hay una misa con la bendición al peregrino y a las 20,30 (al finalizar la misa) se cena en la cocina-comedor.

El desayuno es de 7 a 8 h. de la mañana.

Esperamos haberte ayudado, cualquier otra duda ya sabes dónde estamos.

Un saludo,

Odette Guillán

Good afternoon Annie;

This year the hostel of the convent of San Antonio de Herbón (Padron) will be open through October and opens at 16 h.

For those who want to attend, at 19 h. a guided tour of the church and of the convent, at 20 h is made. There is a Mass with the blessing to pilgrims and at 20.30 (at the end of the Mass) is dinner in the kitchen.

Breakfast is from 7 to 8 h. in the morning.

We hope have helped you, any other questions you know where we are.

Greetings,
Odette Guillán

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I'm about to set off from Porto in 2 weeks time on my 1st Camino so I'm enjoying this information. I've read such wonderful things about Cassa Fernanda and the monastery of Herbon really hope to stay at both.
Could someone please advise if would be necessary to book ahead if I wish to stay at the monastery of Herbon?
And if so would anyone have a phone number and an idea of the cost please? Also a phone number for Cassa Fernanda? And lastly how early should I phone ahead to book a bed at these and other albergues, the morning of the day I would arrive? The day before? 2 days before? Thanks for any assistance everyone.

Hi, I'm about to set off from Porto in 2 weeks time on my 1st Camino so I'm enjoying this information. I've read such wonderful things about Cassa Fernanda and the monastery of Herbon really hope to stay at both.
Could someone please advise if would be necessary to book ahead if I wish to stay at the monastery of Herbon?
And if so would anyone have a phone number and an idea of the cost please? Also a phone number for Cassa Fernanda? And lastly how early should I phone ahead to book a bed at these and other albergues, the morning of the day I would arrive? The day before? 2 days before? Thanks for any assistance everyone.
The phonenumber of casa da Fernanda +351 914 589 521
Fernanda speaks english. Phone Fernanda 2 or 3 days before Is should suggest
Most pilgrims leave between 8h30 and 9h30. Then she has to clean up and make the beds and has some social obligations in the neighbourhood so after midday I should make a phonecall to her I know I have been hospitaleiro there twice.

Fernanda's gardenpath starts on the waymarked caminho, about 18 kms past Barcelos

And if so would anyone have a phone number and an idea of the cost please?

Hi, Mike, welcome to the forum. Herbon is a donativo albergue, which means that pilgrims are expected to give what they can reasonably afford for what they receive, in this case it will be bed, evening meal, and breakfast. No reservations are possible, but as the albergue is a ways off route, I doubt that it's much of an issue.

I know several people who have stayed there and absolutely enjoyed every second -- the tour of the convent, the communal dinner, the mass with pilgrim blessing, and the wonderful hospitaleros. Let us know if you stay there and how it goes for you. Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello

Olá Auburnfive,

you planed your stages very well. There are so many possibilities to get from Porto to Vila do Conde.

If you want to go along the beautiful rocky coast, you can take the bus 500 Matosinhos (Mercado) from São Bento Station ( 5 min. from the Cathedral) to Senhora da Luz near Castelo da Foz. Bus 500 leads to Matosinhos. Therefore you can take every stop along the coast as you please. Some pilgrims take the old tram No.1 from Infante, down at the River Douro to Passeio Alegre. The price is 2.50 € now. Then you´ll reach Matosinhos in a glance. Link for public transport in Porto : http://www.stcp.pt/en/travel/

Your first stay could also be in a beautiful bungalow at Orbitur Camping in Angeiras. Open all year round. They charge from 9 € to 13 €. Free swimming pool and a good pilgrim´s menu for only 5 € with bread, soup, main course (fresh fish or meat), 1/2 a litre of wine and coffee in the nearby restaurant Mira Pargue. Reservation in September not needed! You pay at the reception. Never book on Orbitur website, you will not get the pilgrim´s price!

The next albergues are Labruge and Santa Clara in Vila do Conde. Info:
http://www.cm-viladoconde.pt/pages/861
Santa Clara is only 5 min from the bridge entering Vila do Conde.

The way from Vila do Conde to Rates:

After passing the bridge entering Vila do Conde the way splits. For Rates follow the arrows to the right into Av. Figueiredo Machado, along the river. After 150 meters slightly to the left, uphills. You ´ll reach a big roundabout with metro tracks in the middle. Cross it straight ahead into Av. Bernardino Machado. The next milestone is a big warehouse in the distance. You´ll find some arrows for shure.

Sorry for posting not more about how to leave Porto in an easy way. In a german forum I have written so many posibilities: http://pilgerforum.de/forum/index.php/topic,13925.msg153119.html#msg153119

But it takes time to translate all and my English is very rusty. Btw. I walked the Caminho Português seven times, used to live in Portugal for many years and I stay in Angeiras 5-6 weeks every year as hospitaleiro.

Bom caminho

Rainer

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back