• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From which country this pilgrim is from?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So if i understand you correcly the people who wear long pants would be from Spain or Italy and the rest of the world would wear shorts?

Well well interesting theory!
Seemed to be the case whenever I asked.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
the person is wearing long pants, likely they are from Spain or Italy.
According to the pilgrim office last year pilgrims from Spain and Italy combined made up 52% of all those receiving Compostelas. One might conclude that there is a better than even chance that anyone you speak to is from one of those countries.

According to the pilgrim office last year pilgrims from Spain and Italy combined made up 52% of all those receiving Compostelas. One might conclude that there is a better than even chance that anyone you speak to is from one of those countries.

You are 52% ok!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But the Dutch are notoriously hard to spot. We walk among you, wearing a mix of brands and invariably speak your language. The only thing that will give us away, we just can't help it, is our bluntness.

Just how many languages do you fluent Dutch speak? I bet Mermish is among them.

So, so confusing. I have dual nationality and was wondering what I should wear. Perhaps just a smile.

Your smile, and exposed b’day suit will give your nationality away then.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While waking the camino you are pass by a pilgrim and wonder from which country he or she is? And to shy to ask?

Try this.

Try to identify the packsak brand...

If the brand is Lafuma, Millet or Quechua there are good chance they are from France!

Osprey Fjallraven Haglosfs from Sweden

Deuter and K-Way from South Africa

Halti from Sovenia

FJALLRAVEN from Danmark at 80% chance

Osprey from Mexico

Altus Trango Quechua from Spain

Deuteur and Vaude from Germany

North Face from Korea

Haglof from Scandinavian

Norrona from Norwegian

Osprey Millets Blacks Mount Warehouse Karrimor from UK

Mount Warehouse Osprey MEC and Arcteryx from Canada

Gregory Ula Gossamer Zpacks REI Osprey lowe and Nortface the USA

One Planet AARN Macpac Fairy Down Kathmandu from Australia

Osprey AARN Macpac Fairy Down Kathmandu from New Zealand

I am shure this is not 100% but it is almost 90% OK with Deuter and Germany...

What is your experience?
I am from Denmark and member of a Santiago-pilgrims-facebookgroup , and i am pretty sure tat a very big part of danish pilgrims are wearing an OSPREY backpack :))

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While waking the camino you are pass by a pilgrim and wonder from which country he or she is? And to shy to ask?

Try this.

If the brand is Lafuma, Millet or Quechua there are good chance they are from France!

Halti from Sovenia

FJALLRAVEN from Danmark at 80% chance

Osprey from Mexico

North Face from Korea

Haglof from Scandinavian

Norrona from Norwegian

One Planet AARN Macpac Fairy Down Kathmandu from Australia

What is your experience?
Sea to summit= Australia

The brand in the backpack is more usefull no gess where the pilgrim is NOT from.
Say, Osprey... not from Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't see Marmot backpacks mentioned. I have a Marmot and I'm Danish. Actually it was a post on this Forum that inspired me to buy a Marmot and not an Osprey.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Attachments

• IMG_20181006_104757279.jpg
    IMG_20181006_104757279.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Or speak softly (in Boston accent) and carry a big stick with flags found on the way 🇮🇪🇧🇷 🤠 🇺🇸🇨🇦🇿🇦
I've only just noticed a green orb in picture attached, on closer examination be interested to know what others see 🤔

€60,-
Too many potential combinations and possible answers. If curious I’ll just ask 😆😜

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My pack is an Aarn. I don't use a flag but I do have my 'tiki' and a kiwi patch on my pack. Wouldn't want to get confused for an Aussie! Lol.

If the person is wearing long pants, likely they are from Spain or Italy.
I am from Canada and am almost always wearing long pants on the camino. If it is hot, long, lightweight, light coloured and loose fitting pants are much cooler than shorts (they shade the legs). If it is cold, they provide some insulation. Why would anyone wear shorts?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am from Canada and am almost always wearing long pants on the camino. If it is hot, long, lightweight, light coloured and loose fitting pants are much cooler than shorts (they shade the legs). If it is cold, they provide some insulation. Why would anyone wear shorts?
Totally agree, wouldn’t dream of wearing anything but long pants.

Nah. Still easier to ask than remember all this and have only x % chance because they bought their equipment on the internet.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This is a fun thread!
In 2017, I walked wearing a pair of Zamberlan shoes, Arc'teryx, Columbia, and Kathmandu gear, Tilley Hat, and an Osprey backpack with a Kangaroo patch on it.
Five months ago, when I walked the Invierno, there were no clues except for the Aarn backpack (a Kiwi pack available in Australia)
My Aarn was purchased on line from Aarn USA but was made in NZ. I live innCanada and it was the only way to get one at the time

€60,-
Aarn has been quite popular in trekking circles here in Danmark as well. I know of at least one that made it to Santiago DC.

But a Dane would not be my first guess. Nor second.

About 50%of all rucksacks come from Quechua at least thats my experience from walking the french camino. The second biggest brand was Osprey followed by Deuter.

Same experience in July here. Most Spaniards and French are buying from Decathlon. Good quality for a reasonable price. Osprey second, Deuter, North Face, Vaude, Lowe and Fjällräven almost the same amount. And than some brands like Gregory, Exped, Tatonka, Haglöfs, Mamut, Salewa and Berghans.

Most backpacks from well known brands and a very few from small brands.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You approached every pilgrim you saw wearing long pants and asked them where they were from?
After greeting the walker(s), yes. I’ve lived and walked in Europe long enough to have learned that Southern Europeans, especially the women, usually wear long pants.

Our American pal came on a cycle pilgrimage in the UK (Mary Michael Pilgrim's Way) and straight away announced loudly she had made 'A real mess of her pants' then she was really sad because of the blind cats in Cornwall - she had passed several 'Cats eyes have been removed' signs....! (cats eyes are the reflectors in the middle of the road / pants are underwear - trousers are what you wear on top)
Luckily she caught on quick and we were able to wave her off on her journey up to John O Groats fairly certain that she would be ok (with marmite in her panniers and a taste for real ale...!)
Sorry - off topic - but pilgrimage throws us all together in the most delightful and amusing ways...

€149,-
I walked the Camino SF in June and July this year. I am from New Zealand. I talk a lot and always ask people where they are from. Almost the only people wearing shorts were New Zealanders and a few from Australia.
Very, very few people had any type of identification on their pack to identify where they were from. I am the opposite, I had the New Zealand flag, our sporting flag which is black with the white silver fern on it (which is probably better known internationally) and black round shoulder patch with the Kiwi on it as worn by our military while overseas. There was no mistaking where I was from. I found that these flags and patches attracted lots of people into conversations. Most recognized the silver fern and the first words spoken to me were "All Blacks" which is the name of our national rugby team (world champions). The black round shoulder patch with the Kiwi on it was recognized by an extremely old Italian man who thanked me on behalf of the people of his small village who were liberated in 1943 by soldiers who all wore this patch. It was very moving.
When I did see people with flags on their packs I always spoke to them and from then on I called them by their nationality, as in Mr. France or Miss Italy and I was always called Mr. Kiwi. It might seem like a childish thing to do but It enabled me to make a very large number of "Camino Friends".

Try this.

Halti from Sovenia

Marmot FJALLRAVEN from Danmark at 80% chance

Osprey from Mexico

KELTY REDWING from Chile

North Face from Korea

Haglof from Scandinavian

Norrona from Norwegian

Sea to Summit One Planet AARN Macpac Fairy Down Kathmandu from Australia

What is your experience?

If they wear long pants 50% chance Italian or from Spain

If they wear shorts good chance from New Zealand!

View attachment 63549
Having confused Canadians for Americans more than once (prompting varying degrees of offence and/or outrage..), I quickly learnt to simply ask 'where are you from?' instead..

I'm an AARN carrying Aussie but I rather like the idea of confusing people by attaching a small symbol of another nationality. What would I choose? Mmm.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm an AARN carrying Aussie but I rather like the idea of confusing people by attaching a small symbol of another nationality. What would I choose? Mmm.
I retired my much loved Berghaus rucksack a few years ago. It had small Indian and Nepalese flags sewn on it as reminders of a long visit in 1989-90. But I don't think anyone ever saw it and thought I might be a Gurkha ;)

I retired my much loved Berghaus rucksack a few years ago. It had small Indian and Nepalese flags sewn on it as reminders of a long visit in 1989-90. But I don't think anyone ever saw it and thought I might be a Gurkha ;)

Even when you draw out the kukri?

€60,-
I can always tell the Dutch cyclists - they have the best bikes!! AND they can hold a conversation whilst pedalling uphill despite coming from a flat country.... Whereas I come from Devon (the God/Goddess' own country! ;)) where roads only point up or down and spend my time gasping for breath....
I was told by a German cyclist that he knew we were English because we had tomato boxes tied on the front of our bikes....
But no-one has ever guessed our 'national' flags - cos their Devon....(yay)
View attachment 62889
Haha think I should get a Devon flag too.

I have another sport:
I listen to people´s language, pronunciation of certain words, usage of certain frases-
and then have a qualified guess as to where they´re from...down to the region if possible..
And then I test how wrong I was....

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back