• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From (within sight of) Africa to Santiago

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
It seems a long time ago that I was eating a tangerine across the straits from the Rif mountains. Possibly because it was quite a long time.

Amazingly, I didn't need to get my waterproof coat out of the rucksack for the whole trip. The worst drought in decades may not be good for the land or the reservoirs, but it is very pleasant for walking in. And it has now been raining almost continuously in Santiago since within a few hours of picking up my seventh compostela.

And what a great camino it has been, up there with the best (although that can be said of all of them - presumably at some point I will have a really rubbish one?). Especially good to walk in Portugal for the first time, and through some spectacular countryside. But the serranía round Ronda was fantastic as well, and even the flat first days of the Torres were enjoyable. And no blisters, for only the second time.

Not a huge number of arrivals celebrated at the pilgrim mass - mostly 67 young Méridan salesians who walked from Sarria, otherwise "from Holland, pilgrims from Holland; from Poland, pilgrims from Poland; desde SJPdP, peregrinos de Castellón; desde Sevilla, pilgrims from Korea; desde Almería, peregrinos de Alicante; desde Tui, peregrinos de Valencia; desde Tarífa, pilgrims from England." I think it's that mention at the start of mass in the cathedral that makes me continue to pick up my compostela each year.

Where to next? The original plan for 2018 had been to cross the Pyrenees for the first time at Somport, and later finish off the bits of the Lana I've not yet done between Santo Domingo de Silos and Alpera. But it's difficult to work out how to join the stages. And Portugal's call is getting louder. Vicentina it may be.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Félicitations on your arrival once again in Santiago!
The posts describing your recent journey have been such a pleasure to read. Thank you so much for sharing all these evocative updates.

"...but the best way of all is on foot, where one is a man like any other man, with the sky above one, and the road beneath, and the world on every side, and time to see all."

Hilaire Belloc,
The Idea of a Pilgrimage

With all good wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

MM

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Do you have a blog somewhere? I've seen a few posts from you along this trip but reading the comments from others I'm getting the feeling that I'm not seeing them all.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, thank you for sharing! Will there be another chapter? We will know in due time I suppose. Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.