• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From (within sight of) Africa to Santiago

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
It seems a long time ago that I was eating a tangerine across the straits from the Rif mountains. Possibly because it was quite a long time.

Amazingly, I didn't need to get my waterproof coat out of the rucksack for the whole trip. The worst drought in decades may not be good for the land or the reservoirs, but it is very pleasant for walking in. And it has now been raining almost continuously in Santiago since within a few hours of picking up my seventh compostela.

And what a great camino it has been, up there with the best (although that can be said of all of them - presumably at some point I will have a really rubbish one?). Especially good to walk in Portugal for the first time, and through some spectacular countryside. But the serranía round Ronda was fantastic as well, and even the flat first days of the Torres were enjoyable. And no blisters, for only the second time.

Not a huge number of arrivals celebrated at the pilgrim mass - mostly 67 young Méridan salesians who walked from Sarria, otherwise "from Holland, pilgrims from Holland; from Poland, pilgrims from Poland; desde SJPdP, peregrinos de Castellón; desde Sevilla, pilgrims from Korea; desde Almería, peregrinos de Alicante; desde Tui, peregrinos de Valencia; desde Tarífa, pilgrims from England." I think it's that mention at the start of mass in the cathedral that makes me continue to pick up my compostela each year.

Where to next? The original plan for 2018 had been to cross the Pyrenees for the first time at Somport, and later finish off the bits of the Lana I've not yet done between Santo Domingo de Silos and Alpera. But it's difficult to work out how to join the stages. And Portugal's call is getting louder. Vicentina it may be.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Félicitations on your arrival once again in Santiago!
The posts describing your recent journey have been such a pleasure to read. Thank you so much for sharing all these evocative updates.

"...but the best way of all is on foot, where one is a man like any other man, with the sky above one, and the road beneath, and the world on every side, and time to see all."

Hilaire Belloc,
The Idea of a Pilgrimage

With all good wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

MM

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you have a blog somewhere? I've seen a few posts from you along this trip but reading the comments from others I'm getting the feeling that I'm not seeing them all.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, thank you for sharing! Will there be another chapter? We will know in due time I suppose. Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.