• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

from Zamora, Astorga? Sanabria? or the Portuguese via

Maggy MacD

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May (2014)
Hola,
I am sitting in the sun in Villanueva de Campeanos, and am 1 hike from Zamora. Only recently I learned of the Portuguese route from Zamora that hooks up with the Sanabria at Ourense. I started about 17 days ago in Merida, and have been undecided about whether to go the Astorga or Sanabria route. Now, I am undecided x 3, having added in the Portuguese route.
I have had a leg injury( near Caparra, crossing a muddy orroyo). I am gathering strength, but have had to reduce my daily km to 20 or less.
I'd love to gather some advice from you who may have some, about which route to choose.
Buen Camino!
Maggy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Maggy.
I've got the same decision to make, I'm in Toro a day away from Zamora and undecided what to do from there. I'm inclined to go up to Astorga, I really like the French way despite some of the negative comments that route attracts.
Best of luck whatever you decide, hope your leg gets better soon. If you are going to Albergue just after the bridge perhaps we could compare notes.
Regards
George

Last year I walked the VdlP and met Bill from California ( we had aleady met in this forum but we in fact met in person for the first time on the VdlP ).

Bill was doing his first camino from Seville and originally planned to walk the entire route via Ourense to Santiago

But like you he reached a point like you where both physically and spiritually he had a reached a cross road. Should he continue on as planned or take the route to Astorga, then on to Santiago via the camino Frances?

Another friend and myself convinced Bill to walk north to Aosta.

He agreed with us and went north to Astorga, then on to Santiago.

We met later in Santiago and he announced it was the best decision he had made. The reason was for him, he came prepared to walk the VdlP, and his original expectations and desires changed, and he concluded that walking the camino Frances would be a better choice going forward.

Consider the path not taken - and then take it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola,
I am sitting in the sun in Villanueva de Campeanos, and am 1 hike from Zamora. Only recently I learned of the Portuguese route from Zamora that hooks up with the Sanabria at Ourense. I started about 17 days ago in Merida, and have been undecided about whether to go the Astorga or Sanabria route. Now, I am undecided x 3, having added in the Portuguese route.
I have had a leg injury( near Caparra, crossing a muddy orroyo). I am gathering strength, but have had to reduce my daily km to 20 or less.
I'd love to gather some advice from you who may have some, about which route to choose.
Buen Camino!
The Portuguese route is lovely, but lonely and the days tend to be long, with nowhere to stop between stages. If you have a leg problem it is probably not a good option this time. Bear it in mind for next time :) Personally I am not a fan of the Frances but it does have the advantage of having lots of albergues.
Whatever you decide I hope it goes well for you.
Sue
Maggy

Last year I walked the VdlP and met Neville (jirit) from Victoria and his friend David from Toronto. I had walked the VdlP as a spiritual initiation. The long stages, the countless hours alone on the trail, the rustic albergues and cafes - all of this, like an initiation, had worn me down and opened me up to a deep inner journey. What Neville and David saw was that I had reached the point where I needed to rejoin the community, be around abundant numbers of pilgrims, enjoy the ample infrastructure of the Camino Francais - turn the journey outward, instead of inward. Their advice was a great gift. I had a blast on the Camino Francais, I lightened up and just enjoyed myself.

Maggy, one observation. One of the things I learned, painfully, on the Camino is that there is little, if any, benefit in pushing yourself. If you are limited to 20 km, then the shorter stages and better infrastructure on the Camino Francais may be a good idea. Just enjoy yourself.

I tried to capture my journey at: www.camino.bsewall.com.

Buen Camino.

Wow! Thanks to all of you for stepping up right when I needed it. I will sleep on it tonight and meditate on it as I make my way into Zamora tomorrow.
What I didn't think think to add, is, this is my 1st camino.
Your wisdom is greatfully appreciated.
Many thanks,
Maggy
Ps. The only internet here is at the Plaza Major, and I am the only peregrina in the albergue tonight. There are no cafes, bars or stores, so am in for the night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, all by yourself? At this time of the year? Sleep well, I am sure you will make the right decision!

Hi Maggy.
I've got the same decision to make, I'm in Toro a day away from Zamora and undecided what to do from there. I'm inclined to go up to Astorga, I really like the French way despite some of the negative comments that route attracts.
Best of luck whatever you decide, hope your leg gets better soon. If you are going to Albergue just after the bridge perhaps we could compare notes.
Regards
George

Great to meet and chat yesterday at the albergue in Zamora, George. Thanks so much for your advice and support. I wish you well on your next stages.
¡Buen Camino!
Maggy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year I walked the VdlP and met Neville (jirit) from Victoria and his friend David from Toronto. I had walked the VdlP as a spiritual initiation. The long stages, the countless hours alone on the trail, the rustic albergues and cafes - all of this, like an initiation, had worn me down and opened me up to a deep inner journey. What Neville and David saw was that I had reached the point where I needed to rejoin the community, be around abundant numbers of pilgrims, enjoy the ample infrastructure of the Camino Francais - turn the journey outward, instead of inward. Their advice was a great gift. I had a blast on the Camino Francais, I lightened up and just enjoyed myself.

Maggy, one observation. One of the things I learned, painfully, on the Camino is that there is little, if any, benefit in pushing yourself. If you are limited to 20 km, then the shorter stages and better infrastructure on the Camino Francais may be a good idea. Just enjoy yourself.

I tried to capture my journey at: www.camino.bsewall.com.

Buen Camino.
I so appreciate everyone's advice. I am just about to meet up with my friend who walked into Zamora the 33km. from El Cubo. She plans to go the Sanabria route. We'll chat and have a glass of bino tinto. That'll maje everything right:)
Regards, Maggy

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back