• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fromista albergue fire

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
El Norte de Castilla is reporting the albergue El Canal in Fromista was destroyed by a fire last night 3/30/19. Fortunantely no one was injured but it looks like it is a total loss from the pictures they have printed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This will increase demand on the remaining albergues. Not a good thing with the busy months coming.

It will be interesting to see if the cause is determined and reported. If anyone gets reliable information, please share it here.

I'm sorry to hear that but glad everyone was safe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stayed there last year. Sorry to hear about this.

El Norte de Castilla is reporting the albergue El Canal in Fromista was destroyed by a fire last night 3/30/19. Fortunantely no one was injured but it looks like it is a total loss from the pictures they have printed.
Thank God no one was injured . It does bring up a point about coming to the door of albergue's in the morning, to find them locked and in one we were all waiting for some one to unlock the door only to hear a car pull up and the door unlocked from the outside. Imagine!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
PS my daughter and I leave on Friday to do it all again. Anyone know what the weather is like over there? We start walking on the 9th.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My favourite albergue in Fromista. Because its not in centre of town, it never filled up until after everywhere else. The attached bar served a great dinner too. Unfortunate that it was an old refurbished train station so made almost entirely of wood. So sad

That's where my son and I stayed in 2016. I still remember the delicious rabbit stew supper I had there. So sorry to read of this.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Stayed there about 2 years ago. According to the updated article: "The shelter had not yet opened to the public after the winter break". As per Google Translate.

Mark

Sorry to hear this, I stayed there a couple of years ago and took this picture in the bar/front room.

Attachments

• IMG_3099.jpg
    IMG_3099.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 23
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My favourite albergue in Fromista. Because its not in centre of town, it never filled up until after everywhere else. The attached bar served a great dinner too. Unfortunate that it was an old refurbished train station so made almost entirely of wood. So sad
I believe its the one I stayed at single roometes by the train tracks. Lady that ran was very nice great meals. sad to hear it was a peaceful place and loved when the train went by.

Yes, this was the one next to the train station. I had a beer there before getting on the train at the end of my 2017 Camino. When I returned to Fromista in 2019 to complete my Camino, it was destroyed. It was a cool place for an Albergue!

I know this past year has been an especially hard year for the Camino infrastructure, especially on the more popular routes where there are private albergues and places that really rely on pilgrim traffic. But the resurrection of this thread has reminded me that it is ever the way that some places will close. When the traffic resumes, some new places will open to meet the needs. Some will become the new favourites for future pilgrims. It cannot be otherwise in a pilgrim route that has waxed and waned and waxed again over a thousand years of history. People wonder if the Camino can sustain the increases or decreases in pilgrim traffic. It will outlast us all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back