Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Fromista Canals? What was their purpose??

Year of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola, I have walked and cycled the Camino Frances and have marveled at the canal structures as you enter the town of Fromista. Can someone enlighten me? (Please) Why were they built and by whom. First correct answer gets my thanks (and maybe a coffee at some point). The reason I ask is that today's "forum media" shows those massive rock/stone formations. Cheers

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Maps
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
If you keep following it from Fromista the one leg will take you to Palencia and then ends in Valladolid. It looks like an interesting walk!
It is interesting if you walk north but in going south you run out of places to stay in a short time. My own experience was there are areas where there is stagnant water and the mosquitoes are ferocious. It also has a branch that comes from Medina de Rioseca that operates a canal tour boat from time to time.

Last edited:

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
There is also a great section walking along the Canal de Castilla from Medina de Rioseco on the Camino de Madrid. I really enjoyed it last year, and blue sky always helps!

Canal.jpeg

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Many, various, and continuing.
There is a waymarked path of 11 etapas from Palencia north to Liebana (Potes), where you can connect to the Camino Vadiniense onward to Santiago. It's called the Camino Lebaniego Castellano, it follows along the Canal de Castilla (via Fromista) all the way to its end at Alar del Rey, and continues up and over the mountains with stops at some fabulous Romanesque sites.

Camino Maps
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19

Attachments

• IMG_1803(1).JPG
    IMG_1803(1).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 24

mai

CF
Pamplona-S 4/18
SJPP-S-F/M 4/19
SJPP-S. (4/21)
I was fascinated by Canal de Castilla as well when I walked from Boadilla del Camino to Fromista last year!

From the map (https://palenciaromanica.blogspot.com) of the whole canal which was located mainly in Provincia de Palencia, we could see the magnitude of the engineering project constructed between 1753-1849.

Attachments

• IMAG9046.jpg
    IMAG9046.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_b55.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b55.jpeg
    777.8 KB · Views: 25
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Socks

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Camino Frances , Pamplona Burgos august 2018 Burgos to Santiago 19 /04 to 20/05/2019
What a marvellous resource. This looks like a walk I'd enjoy.
The canal was planned by the Marques de la Ensenada during Fernando VI's reign.[1] Its purpose was to boost trade by allowing Tierra de Campos' wheat grain production to be transported from Castile to the northern harbour of Santander and to other markets from there; vice versa, the canal was also meant to facilitate the inflow of products from the Spanish colonies into Castile.[1]

The Spanish War of Independence, budgetary constraints and the difficult passage of the Cantabrian Mountainshampered and eventually reduced the initial plan of a 400 km so the canal never reached the Bay of Biscay as initially planned.[1] Overall, its construction took almost 100 years (from 1753 to 1849) and was eventually halted when railroads were built in northern Spain in the nineteenth century, superseding the project.[1]

The canal was most used during the 1850-1870 period, when up to 400 barges plied the canal towed by beasts of burden.[1] Later on, the canal evolved into the spine of a huge irrigation system due to its relative inefficiency vs. railfreight as a means of transport. The locks on the canal were decommissioned in the twentieth century.

Camino Socks
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 60 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 207 14.9%
  • May