• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fromista to Santiago

Aoif

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino in September
Hi, I need the advice of my fellow pilgrims. I am planning to walk from Fromista to Santiago on the 31st May to the 17th June 2017. My problem however lies with getting to Fromista.

I am due to fly from Ireland to Santander on Wed 31st and get the bus to Fromista but my flight lands in Santander at 4.05pm and the last bus to Fromista leaves at 4.30pm. I could get the bus the next day but I would not arrive in Fromista until 12.30pm so essentially, I am losing a whole’s day walking. As I have 32.5 kms to do per day, I would need to start walking early every morning.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Aoife.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You write "As I have 32.5 kms to do per day,..." Aren't you putting yourself under a lot of stress with that? My suggestion is to reconsider your stages and either start closer to Santiago or simply walk relaxed to where you get to and finish your Camino another year.

If that is not an option for you, you could look at blabla car and see if you find a ride there. Buen Camino, SY

I support the opinion of SY above. Perhaps consider Leon, you can probably find more buses from Santander and perhaps even an express. PLUS you gain a whole day to walk around a beautiful city instead of galloping through and missing an enchanting experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm suspecting that you worked out your start point of Fromista by working backwards from Santiago based on how much time you had available to walk. I rather like scruffy's idea of going to Leon to start. Then, with maybe five days walking saved, use the extra days to continue on from Santiago to Finesterre and/or Muxia.

If you picked Fromista as your start point because you stopped there previously maybe you could go from Santander (if you don't want to tour it) to another place like Leon or Sahagun to spend the evening and take the earliest bus from there to Fromista and use the time before that to explore the city you are in.

I agree that walking 32.5kms each day is a bit too much. There will be difficult stages especially through mountain passes around Montes de Leon and Galicia ( I had a hard time on the way to La Faba due to heat exhaustion).

You'll enjoy the Camino more when you are flexible with time and distance. This will be possible if your staring point is much closer than Fromista. As already mentioned by Scruffy and Rick, Leon is a good starting point and can be reached easily from Santander. You can finish the stages you missed on the CF next time.

Have fun and Buen Camino!

Thanks a mil all for your speedy responses. I began my Camino in 2014 and walked from Sarria to Santiago, Finisterre and then Muxia. I returned in 2015 and set off from St. Jean, finishing in Fromista. My aim this year was to walk from Fromista to Santiago. The idea of finishing in Sarria did not really appeal to me but having read your comments, I wonder as to whether I am biting off more than I can chew. I do not want to skip any sections and so may just bus it from Sarria to Santiago. I would love to finish what I started and walk into the beautiful city of Santiago once more but do not want to force it either. Thanks again for your advice. It has certainly given me food for thought.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Aoif I now understand why Fromista is your desired starting point. I thought you haven't done the CF yet (not mentioned on your past/future caminos). You do have plenty of time (and experience) to prepare until September. Cheers!

Hi, I need the advice of my fellow pilgrims. I am planning to walk from Fromista to Santiago on the 31st May to the 17th June 2017. My problem however lies with getting to Fromista.

I am due to fly from Ireland to Santander on Wed 31st and get the bus to Fromista but my flight lands in Santander at 4.05pm and the last bus to Fromista leaves at 4.30pm. I could get the bus the next day but I would not arrive in Fromista until 12.30pm so essentially, I am losing a whole’s day walking. As I have 32.5 kms to do per day, I would need to start walking early every morning.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Aoife.

Renfe train leaves Santander 0919 arrives Fromista 1208. This means overnight Santander

Or

Renfe train leaves Santander 1900 arrives Palencia 2129

Renfe train leaves Palencia 1038 arrives Fromista 1059.

Saves you an hour. This means overnight Palencia.

I suppose it might be cost effective to take a taxi from Palencia ...

There is Linecar bus but if Fromista page is anything to go by ... it won't work for you.

Of interest ... the Fromista page indicates 0700 - 0935 train from Santander to Fromista ... it might mean summer service not presently indicated on the Renfe Schedule.

Fromista transport page
http://www.fromista.com/index.php/turismo/transporte

Last edited by a moderator:
upload_2017-2-1_16-45-44.png

That is what I was looking at but I think it's too tight. Thanks. I think you are right - a short first day seems the only viable option.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Renfe train leaves Santander 0919 arrives Fromista 1208. This means overnight Santander

Or

Renfe train leaves Santander 1900 arrives Palencia 2129

Renfe train leaves Palencia 1038 arrives Fromista 1059.

Saves you an hour. This means overnight Palencia.

I suppose it might be cost effective to take a taxi from Palencia ...

There is Linecar bus but if Fromista page is anything to go by ... it won't work for you.

Of interest ... the Fromista page indicates 0700 - 0935 train from Santander to Fromista ... it might mean summer service not presently indicated on the Renfe Schedule.

Fromista transport page
http://www.fromista.com/index.php/turismo/transporte

That is great. Thanks :)

View attachment 31573

That is what I was looking at but I think it's too tight. Thanks. I think you are right - a short first day seems the only viable option.

How are you able to get the ALSA site to give a schedule from Santander to Fromista? I can get it from Santander to Osorno and Santander to Palencia but not with a stop in Fromista.

How are you able to get the ALSA site to give a schedule from Santander to Fromista? I can get it from Santander to Osorno and Santander to Palencia but not with a stop in Fromista.

I have no idea. I just googled bus from Santander to Fromista and it popped up. I had never heard of Palencia before and so am definitely going to check that out.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back