• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Front loading backpack versus top loading

oztraveller

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Has anyone experience with front loading backpacks. I bought an Osprey top loading backpack to walk the camino in May but after seeing the Osprey front loading ones wish I had bought one of these instead. So much easier to access and pack contents and look more secure.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a front loading backpack , I find it ideal.
Have this one for 5 years now , nothing else for me anymore.

Wish yoy well , Peter .

I have used a Fairydown pack which had a front panel as well as top loading. My current camino favourite, the Deuter Guide 45+ has a side opening for access as well as the top opening, but it is not a full panel arrangement. I also have an Osprey Aether that has a front panel. It is smaller than the Fairydown it will replace, but still a very large pack by camino standards.

My take on this is that panels are great for larger packs where they provide advantages in getting access to the depth of the pack without having to unpack it. I don't think that they necessarily offer big advantages in the sizes I would be thinking of carrying in Spain, except perhaps in the depths of winter.

There might be other reasons to choose a panel pack, but accessibility seems to me to be the primary issue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If choosing a front loading pack rather than a conventional top loader I think it is important to err on the generous side on capacity. Stuffing a front loading pack too tightly may put a lot of strain on the main zip and increase the chances of it failing. A major pain in the posterior when you are some way from convenient repair or replacement. Less of an issue with the top brands than the budget end of the market.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Many thanks I appreciate your comments. I've not backpacked before but looking forward to getting used to my top-loader

Many thanks I appreciate your comments. I've not backpacked before but looking forward to getting used to my top-loader
If you are a tyro, there are quite a lot of good web resources out there about how to arrange the load in your pack, and probably some discussions here as well.

I have tried both and now the overriding factor is the weight of the backpack. The larger the pack the higher the weight. Have had one that offered both which is very handy when you need to access something towards the middle ot bottom.
The more zips the higher the weight etc. I have deliberately chosen a smaller pack for my past walk to save 200-300grams. This is a top loader requiring more thought on the loading sequence.
Might sound excessive but part of a strategy to avoid "weight creep" which can be a killer.
Buen Camino
Happymark

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Amen to that. A front loader will always be heavier than the top-loading equivalent. It's amazing how many grams those sturdy zippers add. A 100g here, a 100g there ... and you can readily discern the additional half-pound!
Have no problems with the zippers it works better for me than top-loading one. It's a lot easyer to " load and onload " :D
Wish you well, Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My panel loading pack is much lighter than most top loading packs in the same size range. It's a 36 liter pack and weighs 2lbs 4.5oz (1030g). The continuous zipper has three zipper pulls, allowing you to open just the top, bottom or side. Or all the way like a suitcase.
Sounds interesting. What brand please?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My sense is that both styles, top & front loading, have pros & cons. However, it is also my sense that if you are carrying so much stuff that you feel you need the front loader for ease of accessing stuff, you may be packing too much stuff.

In my experience, just about everything in the top 2/3 of my 48-liter rucksack comes out every night. The bottom third carries items I rarely if ever need, like my sleeping bag (liner) or my emergency bivvy sack, and my second pair of zip off pants.

The top 2/3 of the rucksack contains zip lock or sil-nylon sacks with the clothes and toiletries, etc., I use at every stop.

Items like ponchos, snacks and first aid gear ride in outer side pockets, top pockets, or rear web pockets. These quick to hand items never ride inside my rucksack.

My fleece rides at the very top inside the rucksack for fast access.

I allow that everyone has his or her own style for packing. Over four Camino's I have learned that "less is more."

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am a top girl too ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist the bad joke ;-) As @t2andreo and others have stated - most of the stuff you take anyway out every evening/day (if you don't why did you brought some of it?). If you organize your bag correctly (things you need sooner on top) and pay a bit of attention to the weight distribution in the pack I personally find a top loader more convenient then a 'open the zip and all spills out' front loader, but that is just me.

Buen Camino, SY

I am a top girl too ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist the bad joke ;-) As @t2andreo a 'open the zip and all spills out' front loader, but that is just me.

Buen Camino, SY
I can easily open just the top, side or bottom of my pack. In fact I rarely open it all the way, but can if I want. Everything doesn't spill out.

I also just like the cleaner look of my panel loader. No drawstring, lid with buckle, etc.

The discussion on top vs panel loading, trampoline suspension vs padded backs, etc, etc will go on while we have different criteria we each use to evaluate and choose. I said this about a year ago in a longer post, and haven't changed that view since.

My ideal on these these criteria would be a two compartment top loader with a trampoline frame, even in the sub-35 li size range. I would accept the compromise of the small amount of extra weight for this.

As a postscript: My favourite day pack is a Salewa Summit 30 I have had for many years now. It has both a bottom compartment, and two side pockets. These might be inefficient from a pure packing efficiency perspective, but are a real boon for carrying the many small items that would otherwise find their way to the bottom of a single compartment pack. Deuter have a similarly flexible pack, the Futura Pro. Unfortunately, both are too small for my spring packing list.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have used a Fairydown pack which had a front panel as well as top loading. My current camino favourite, the Deuter Guide 45+ has a side opening for access as well as the top opening, but it is not a full panel arrangement. I also have an Osprey Aether that has a front panel. It is smaller than the Fairydown it will replace, but still a very large pack by camino standards.

My take on this is that panels are great for larger packs where they provide advantages in getting access to the depth of the pack without having to unpack it. I don't think that they necessarily offer big advantages in the sizes I would be thinking of carrying in Spain, except perhaps in the depths of winter.

There might be other reasons to choose a panel pack, but accessibility seems to me to be the primary issue.

I love my Deuter 40+. Love love LOVE IT! Glad I am not alone with my love ;-)

Once you pack in the morning you really should not need to access the content of your pack until you arrive to your destination in the evening. The exception is for rain gear that you should packat the very top of your bag. You can also organise your pack by using nylon mesh bags: one with bedding, one with stuff for shower and laundry, etc.

My1st pack, circa 2007, is a front loader, but it is soooooo heavy compared to the new Ospreys. I liked that I could pack it like a suitcase, but that was before I started using nylon mesh bags inside the pack.

Now, I just look at the weight of the bag and its fit.

Once you pack in the morning you really should not need to access the content of your pack until you arrive to your destination in the evening.
Really? I cannot think of a day when I didn't need to access my pack. Rain gear aside, there were things like putting my fleece in when it had warmed up enough in the morning, the occasional recourse to my first aid kit to treat a hot-spot to prevent it turning into a blister, or getting out a piece of fruit for a mid morning snack. And probably most importantly, getting to my tube of Vegemite to spread a little on my bocadillo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I quite regularly need to go into my pack, although I am always striving to achieve the state whereby it is not necessary.:rolleyes: However, I know exactly where everything is (in theory more than practice, I admit :rolleyes:), and with a 31 L pack with a sleeping bag at the bottom, I don't have to dig very far.

If choosing a front loading pack rather than a conventional top loader I think it is important to err on the generous side on capacity. Stuffing a front loading pack too tightly may put a lot of strain on the main zip and increase the chances of it failing.
Agree, especially if you check it in at the airport. On route you might have some concerns about stuffing but the powers to torn the zips are lesser. In airports backpacks can be thrown around and zips might snap.
In my experience (also a bit because of my climbing years) topl oader with back zip on lower part is much better than complete back loader.
For check in baggage try to strenghten (??? is that the right expression) the straps firmly if your rucksack is back loader!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've taken 2 different Osprey front load packs now, the first was a Kestrel 32 and the second a Talon 22. The Kestrel had very easy access to just about everything I needed. The Talon however was a different story, the zipper was more shallow and that combined with full use (packing) of both top access zippered pockets made for a much more modest entry into the main compartment than I had anticipated. As I love the way the Talon series carries with Camino loads I will probably take a Talon 33 on this summers GR10/Norte/Primitivo trip.

I use and prefer a panel loader (Talon 22 in the small size which is actually 20ltrs) It works well for my type of packing in different colored sacks and can find things easily. I have plenty of room for everything I need for up to 6 weeks (and probably longer) I have seen many other people equally happy with top loaders too. I believe it comes down to preference and don't believe there is an appreciable weight difference nor have I had any problems with zippers for the 2000 km I have used this particular pack. My pack for each camino has started out between 10-12 lbs without water. I might also mention all of my caminos have been September and October so I have not had to carry heavier/bulkier sleeping bag and clothing.

Good luck with your decision.

Has anyone experience with front loading backpacks. I bought an Osprey top loading backpack to walk the camino in May but after seeing the Osprey front loading ones wish I had bought one of these instead. So much easier to access and pack contents and look more secure.
I walked last June with a woman's Osprey Kyte 44L pack that had a top opening, a side entry option, plus a lower compartment that had a floating top panel where one could reach up into the large main compartment. I found that particularly nice when I wanted something in the bottom of the pack quickly. I had thought I would love the side opening, being more used to that kind of access with other bags. However, what I found was that since I used small REI stuff bags for organizing, AND because my pack was often sitting upright on its' bottom, it wasn't really convenient to unzip and reach into the side, but easier to uncinch the top and pull out the stuff sack that I needed. I had three of them, and color coded each with what the contents...e.g., the green larger one held my change of clothes, towel and toiletries so I could grab one bag for the shower room, a smaller purple one had all my first aid items, etc. They were then loaded into my pack always in the same place, by weight/size for ease of carrying the pack. I would do the same thing again. The other great thing was that a stuff sack has a drawstring loop at the top that can hang from a hook while showering, or the rail of a bunk bed for stuff one might want during the night (light, glasses, etc.). Just some thoughts. Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Before walking on my first Camino I watched Lindsey Cowie's first packing video. In that video she was using a Gregory J. During the video she stated that she was envious of individuals that had panel loaders, as it was super useful. It made an impact on me as I owned the male version of her bag, a Gregory Z55. And it made sense to me. I went out and started looking for a panel loader.

During my Camino, I found that I had made the right choice for me. However, only you know what your requirements are for a backpack. The choice of backpack is one of the two most important choices each peregrino has to make. And as you are reading in the replies, each individual has their own requirements and preferences. Other than ensuring that it fits your torso, pick the type of loader you prefer.

Thanks everyone for your 'mixed bag' of comments. Seems more of a preference thing as everyone has either one or the other as their favorite type of backpack. Not having experienced trekking with either I hope I fall in love with my Osprey 36L top loader.

My panel loading pack is much lighter than most top loading packs in the same size range. It's a 36 liter pack and weighs 2lbs 4.5oz (1030g).
She's linked the Marmot Gravitron 36, which is a new pack line. I like the Gravitron 38 better (more pockets), but all that line seems to have an open cell foam back suspension (like Osprey's Talon line), which I find too warm for hot weather hiking. And both are heavier than the Osprey Exos 38, which is a top-loader with a trampoline suspension. The Gravitron a good design though, and Marmot is an excellent brand. Looking forward to hearing result from your Gravitron experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used a top-loading bag from MEC, which wouldn't have been ideal had it not had a size zip to access things at the very bottom. I'd like to try a front-loader with partitions (like a camera bag) next time...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I've use an Osprey Stratos 36 on my hikes. Couldn't be happier. Finding things that invariably wind up in the bottom of the pack at the most inconvenient moment is super easy. If you never need access to items in your pack until the day is done, then top or panel is fine, but for me a front loader works best. (And remember, just because it's a front loader doesn't mean it isn't accessible from the top!)

Actually my Osprey Exos 58l weights even less with 1150g having nearly double the volume ... http://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/hiking/exos-58? 1200g for a 30l backpack is seriously overweight in my experience. Buen Camino, SY
Thanks, I looked at the mens version and read the reviews which included comments about the fabric wearing and rubbing on the frame area; it appears to be another of the trade offs we make between weight and longivity in a backpack. So far I have opted for the system providing air space between the pack and my back which adds weight. Maybe next time.
happymark

My Osprey Stratos 36 is both.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.