• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Front Packs.

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
I bought a "cheap" 5yd Black Watch from another company - buyakilt.com - but despite any expectations based on price, it is well made and qood quality. I will check out your recommended sites.

Black Watch is recognisable as a tartan and not plain, but it is quite modest and not loud.

I have also bought a TREK but just exchanging it for a size up - I was little aggressive on my size estimate.

What is great is that the sizing is very forgiving - buy small and it expands another 3-4inches. I've lost 10kg in last 3 months and plan to lose another 10kg so am hoping/planning that the smaller size can accommodate current and future belly.

I like the patterning of the poppers on the TREK so may take this one, despite it being plain.

I am not sure about the sporran or side-belt-bag. I use a chest pack attached to the rucksack chest strap to balance weight and have easy access to items during the day. The TREK has some good pockets, although I wouldn't want anything bulky or heavy in them.

Thanks for the length advice - easy when fitting with a mirror, difficult to judge without, but I guess it comes with practice.

I'm not fully decided - will try it at home and some practice walks - 6days to decide !

As the kilt is bulkier than lightweight hiking trousers (which I will take 'just in case'), I may even be wearing it on the plane !

Good stuff! If no mirror just kneel down; the kilt should just touch the carpet.

I don't fly but would have thought that a kilt rather than trousers would be much better for a long haul flight?

Incidentally, you mentioning front bag/s. I have been looking at Aarn packs to balance load; first aid kit/s at front and personal stuff at back - but they are so expensive I cannot justify the outlay - would feel guilty each day! - so am trying for a cheap adaptation that would have the same effect - so looking at front bags possibilities though don't want to be harnessed in in case I need to shed the pack quickly. I have found these and thought that if I sewed D rings onto the top of my pack I could clip them on, attach front bags and they would pull the weight forward rather than attaching bags to the main straps as I think that would pull the rucksack downwards onto the shoulders - here the straps - how have you done yours and does it work???

$_57 (1).JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
David, I have a front pack made by Solomon that works brilliantly--I got in SJPP as a impulse purchase and now I would not do without it. 5L capacity plus 2 water bottle pockets. Somewhere else here I posted a photo ages ago but can't remember where.
Edit--OK, found it:

But the very best thing I bought before the Camino was the last thing--I got it at Direction Compostelle in SJPP--a Salomon Front Pocket...it holds 5L and there are 2 sleeves for bottles. IT was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to get in and out of it but once there, I was SO happy to have it. Camera, water, lunch, and much else could go in there, attached to the shoulder straps of my pack by clips and secured by the pack's waistbelt going through the back--so no swinging and no rubbing. Not only did it give instant access, but also it balanced the load, and had plenty of ventilation.
Here's a link to a photo:
http://www.teamrunningfree.com/wordpress/uploads/salomon-custom-front-pocket-n28373_xl.jpg
And a pic of it being used:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
David, I have a front pack made by Solomon that works brilliantly--I got in SJPP as a impulse purchase and now I would not do without it. 5L capacity plus 2 water bottle pockets. Somewhere else here I posted a photo ages ago but can't remember where.
Edit--OK, found it:

Thanks Viranani checked it out .. not quite the thing for me as I don't want to be strapped in. Will go for two bags, one on each side at the front I think.

Some years ago, when I lived in Bath, a young French tourist - just 16! - was crouching down by a weir in the garden of a pub. He toppled over and fell in. He was wearing his rucksack and was unable to release the hip-belt to get rid of the pack and he drowned. The water wasn't even that deep. A tragedy, but have been aware of the possible need to let go of my pack instantly, so do not want a front bag that clips both sides and is also strapped - but thanks.

Yes, David, this is definitely is a harness of sorts. You do get used to it, and it becomes very quick and easy to release the clip on one side or the other so you can slide out--but getting out in a real hurry might be a challenge. In spite of that, I wouldn't do without it.

@David, I have been toying with the idea of front packs like the Aarn since I heard of them from Kanga but like you I cannot justify the outlay and I love my Gregory Z40. What I was thinking of doing was buying two pouches either from Aarn or another supplier and attaching them to my front straps with D rings, this would help shift some of the load to the front.
It's still in the planning stage. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used a waist pack this year - for convenience, rather than for weight distribution. There are lots of different versions, but I went for a very cheap running one to try out the idea. It was very useful to have my documents, money and a small amount of water at hand.

The hiking versions tend to be more expensive than the running and ones and are perhaps more waterproof. Mine only cost about £7 (the cheapest Osprey waist pack in Cotswold Outdoors was about £15).
Thankfully, I didn't meet any fashion police on the Camino :)

IMG_5486.JPG

Thankfully, I didn't meet any fashion police on the Camino :)
Yes indeed. And fortunately we don't have to care...very liberating!
The way I adjusted the Salomon caused it to sit at about waist level--that was most convenient for accessing stuff. It was big enough for valuables, camera, phone, Brierley guide, snacks, and miscellaneous odds and ends. Given the size of the pack, I was quite surprised how much it could hold. The back--the part that rests against the body--has mesh and some kind of padding with holes in it--so there's plenty of ventilation.
Not only did it redistribute weight, but it was also incredibly convenient.
There were a few things I'd tweak if I could re-design it, but not many.

Pat, I'm not sure it would work. One of the reasons the Aarn front packs work is that they fit into the waistband so the weight remains on the hips, and does not drag on the shoulders. I know the cost is an issue. They last forever and I'm always wanting the latest version but can't justify the cost, especially when there is nothing wrong with the existing one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
they fit into the waistband so the weight remains on the hips, and does not drag on the shoulders.
The Salomon front pack also does this, which is part of what makes it a slight pain to get in and out of until you get used to it. But there's effectively almost no no weight on the shoulders.

Yes indeed. And fortunately we don't have to care...very liberating!
The way I adjusted the Salomon caused it to sit at about waist level--that was most convenient for accessing stuff. It was big enough for valuables, camera, phone, Brierley guide, snacks, and miscellaneous odds and ends. Given the size of the pack, I was quite surprised how much it could hold. The back--the part that rests against the body--has mesh and some kind of padding with holes in it--so there's plenty of ventilation.
Not only did it redistribute weight, but it was also incredibly convenient.
There were a few things I'd tweak if I could re-design it, but not many.

@Viranani, your pack looks very clever indeed. Having easy access to money, snacks, maps etc. is a big plus - so much easier than having to take off a backpack.

Yes, I agree it is fabulous to be able to reach things without taking off a pack. The benefit of the Aarn balance packs are that, because they are split, you can see your feet. Which I find important if I have to scramble over a stream or rocks. But if I could not have the Aarn pack I would definitely get the Salomon, having experienced the benefits of something at the front.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
you can see your feet
I never had trouble with this...it doesn't stick out so far as that. It might if one had a 'spare tire,' but I'm fortunate that I don't have that.
@Viranani, your pack looks very clever indeed. Having easy access to money, snacks, maps etc. is a big plus - so much easier than having to take off a backpack.
It's the best. Except that then you annoy people when you get in the habit of going into a bar without taking your pack off.........:confused:

Osprey makes a little pouch that is carried on the chest, tied to the backpack straps. It can then be taken off and carried with a longer strap across the chest like some purses are carried. Other options I found helpfull: cargo pants pockets and Macabi skirt pockets.

So I am not alone then!! My 'problem' is that I want to walk '5 to 10' next year doing my first aid etc (a slow 5 to 10 kms a day, allowing all pilgrims to pass me so that I meet them all each day).

I have resisted doing this before as my first aid kit - and the back up bits I also carry - weighs too much to add to an already packed rucksack over long periods. JennyH and I met some pilgrims with Aarn packs this autumn - we had a strange thing of meeting quite a few over a few days and then no more at all. We chatted with the owners, lifted them, inspected them and so on (the packs, not the owners) - and I realised that this could be the way forward for me. Front and rear packs, balancing the load but not tied across the front - except for the normal chest clip - so taking off the backpack was in the 'normal' way.
Then I found out how much they cost and just cannot go down that route ( how can one go and help a poor pilgrim if one is loaded up with expensive kit or clothing?) - which is why the trying to work out an adaptation.

Seems to me - I may be completely wrong here! - that adding bags to each shoulder strap would pull those straps down onto the shoulders whereas if D rings were attached to the top of the pack, at the shoulder strap roots as it were, then new straps could be clipped on and bags attached to them - thinking that this would pull the bag forward but not down .... am I right? hhmm ....

Now we have our own thread about all this - (Hurrah! and thanks Wayfarer!)

I was just looking at the Aarn packs again and I cannot see how they do not pull the rucksack straps down hard onto the shoulders, unless one has a pack that is so long it sticks above the shoulders at the back - or are they fitted to the hip belt and then brought vertical by pulling a strap on the main straps???

would really welcome ideas. suggestions, experiences etc ....

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have used a small chest pack for several years. It is big enough for water bottle and others things you want to access while walking.
There is a long thread about it from a year or so ago.

The pack is: OMM. Original Mountain Marathon, Trio Chest Pack.

I ordered mine from an on-line shop in the UK. It may be availavilable elsewhere now.

It comes with all the bits you would need to attach to most pack straps. Simple attachment and one snap to take pack off. It is easily adjustable to be worn high or lower on the straps.

Here is the thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/omm-trio-chest-pack.12116/

I have no idea about the Aarn, David, but the Salomon also clips onto the shoulder strap...and the hip belt goes under the main body of the front pack. It's the latter that mostly supports the weight of the pack, so no undue shoulder stress.

Your mission of kindness brings moisture to the eyes...maybe it's what's happened this weekend, but I'm very touched. If a bunch of us got together to give you a pair of Aarn front packs, would you be horribly embarrassed?? Probably, but it's a thought. And we might well overrule your objections. What do you think, gang?
(And BTW, whether you help or not is unrelated to your pack and gear...and frankly since you are doing so much work on behalf of others that gear's a support to not only you but the entire community!)

WWhhhooo - no, absolutely not! Your kindness is lovely but my embarrassment would be off the meter ... absolutely not!! My current 35 litre rucksack cost me £9.99 in Aldi and it is a good pack!! I will fit a bag or bags to the front and it will work well - once I have worked it out :)

I am just writing to Aarn right now as there are no photographs of the backs of their front bags.

So terrible what we see in certain parts of the world - so many innocents taken down as part of a war no sane human wants.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A few quick points on the subject: Packs and all gear related decisions are very personal. Once you find what works for you, stick with it. That said, my experience with front packs can be summed up as, tried it, didn't work for me. For the following reasons: I tried one several years ago in Viet Nam and quickly discarded it because of the heat. With the front pack, even though it had some ventilation, I could not take advantage of air cooling my chest and ended up with severe prickly heat rash. This would apply on the Camino in summer months. Not so much in other months. Also, we tend to walk leaning forward, in the direction of travel, and I find a back pack straitens me up a bit. Weight in front seems to make me lean forward more than normal, hurting my lower back. As for the water bottles in the front (adding front weight), I keep my bottles in rear, side pouches on my Osprey pack and run a hose over my should strap. Too, I like pants/shorts with pockets for cash, phone/camera, lip balm, etc. A good pack too has pouches in the front on your hip strap.

While it's not exactly a front pack, I carried an REI "shower kit" (http://www.rei.com/product/878302/rei-shower-kit) attached to the front of my shoulder straps using a couple of small caribiners. The size is 10" x 4.75" x 4.5" or approximately 25 x 12 x 12 cm. In it I carried my guidebook, credential, sunglasses, note pad and pen, snack bar, and a few other small odds and ends. Being rather small, it is definitely more for convenience than for weight equalization. I'm not sure if such a bag is available elsewhere -- REI is an American recreational coop, but those outside the US can probably find something similar in most travel stores in other countries.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have used both the 5L Salomon chest pack mentioned by Viranani above, as well as the ZPacks 3L chest pack. Both designs are essentially belly packs by the time you rig them properly. However, I find that the ZPacks bag has more variety of carrying options.

While the Salomon bag has more capacity, it is so organized as to limit loading options, at least IMHO. In other words, it has a generous gross capacity, but limits how you can place what where. On balance, I prefer the single, large capacity compartment of the ZPacks bag. Note, the Salomon bag is intended for use by trail runners, not hikers per se. I adapted the bag to that purpose. It worked, sort of. However, every person has a specific need and understanding of how they want to carry their necessary supplies. So, there is no right or wrong method.

I my case, I learned from three Caminos that my .5 liter water bottle on Nite-Ize bottle clips, works great and does not require specific bottle loops or holders, as on the Salomon bag. My water bottles just clip and hang anywhere on a belt or shoulder harness. It still allows me to move a kilo of weight from back to front, in addition to the necessaries I place in the ZPacks belly sack.

My next iteration of moving weight forward to improve balance will be to use several belt or harness pouches to organize my items on my standard chest / shoulder harness. The primary advantage of this is quicker removal and donning. Using either belly or chest bag, one needs additional time to remove or loosen at least one side of the belly / chest rig. After all, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

As regards the Aarn line of rucksacks, I want to point out to all that the harness for these wonderful packs is specifically designed to be used with their line of accessories. I do not know if or how their "balance bags" or "Pamelas" as many Kiwis and Aussies call them colloquially, will even be useable with standard geometry rucksack harnesses.

The Aarn packs are designed with a specific geometry to rebalance weight between front and rear. The straps run differently that standard rucksack shoulder and belt harnesses. Just bear this in mind before spending a lot of money on buying these accessory items.

I hope this helps.

I've just checked and the Aarn "Pamela's" - thanks @t2andreo thats much quicker to say! - are available to fit all packs. They claim the weight stays on the hips. Here's the web page:

http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!balance-bags/c1paj

Still expensive though, especially if you have to pay for shipping. I guess they are a speciality item and not made with economies of scale. There is a bargain page - you could keep an eye on that in the hope something comes up.

I've looked on our local free classified website Gumtree to see if there are any for sale second hand, but none are listed.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
They look a bit different to the ones on the NZ website designed to be worn with other packs.

Like others (it seems), I agonised for a while about choice and mechanism of a chest pack.

I toyed with the idea of Ribz but didn't like the price or the fact it seems to cover the chest so much. I generate a LOT of heat walking, and with rucksack I feared I would be enclosed in kit. And despite the light material it just looks heavy, inviting putting too much in, and becoming bulky and heavy.

After looking at various options, I decided to do a proof of concept and carried a large DSLR in a standard Lowepro camera case which had a very handy back section where a strap could be inserted (and had integrated rain cover also). I simply passed the chest strap of the rucksack through this section. No extra straps, easily attached and removed with one click, but very secure.

The DSLR was of course over-kill, but I wanted to, so I did. Camera, lens, case and a couple of other things weighed 2kg. I was apprehensive .... but it was totally fine ! I hardly noticed the weight and presumably the front/back weight distribution came into play. Despite the pack weighing more than a previous Camino. So I was a convert.

I then researched other options and eventually settled on a fairly standard pouch. I went for a 5.11 pouch sourced from tactree.co.uk http://tactree.co.uk/bags-and-cases/pouches-and-holsters/511-10-6-horizontal-pouch.

The material is thick which has pro's and con's, but overall I really like it. The Molle webbing on front and back is very versatile. So I have again simply inserted the chest strap of the rucksack through the Slickstick™ molle attachment system (other brands have similar concept. Or more accurately I clip the chest strap and drop the straps behind and pop the poppers together. It works fine with 2, but using all 4 there is no movement and very secure, but on-and-off quickly (e.g. emergencies as David describes)

Other brands than 5.11 (e.g. Maxpedition, Tigris) have similar devices but I wanted the quality/pedigree of 5.11, and £22 seemed a reasonable price (well, a lot for just canvas, but you know what I mean, I hope). The Molle and general construction are great.

They also have a similar pouch in vertical format which would allow one to be mounted on each ruckstrap strap, as I understand ARN do it. But I wanted a horizontal format.

It is large enough to carry phone, ipad mini (no, not taking one, but it does fit if needed, so a kindle would be a breeze), quite large GPS (sorry, yes, taking one), wallet, snacks, gloves, credencial etc. So it also doubles as something to take valuables with you in albergue, to shower, to dinner in town, functioning as a very simple but practical EDC.

As others observe, this is very much down to personal preferences, but for me this functions at the perfect height (not sitting on belly, easy to access), does not protrude much, but has good capacity.

The 5.11 pouch is not waterproof and in fact has a drain hole in bottom, but I put important stuff in a light waterproof pouch from overboard.co.uk.

Your mileage may vary - I am very happy with the solution. In fact I did return to buy 2 vertical pouches to attach one to each side of rucksack, so that I can avoid going into the main pack at all during the day.

I'll try to post a picture later.

I want to use front bags to take weight away from the main pack and balance what I am carrying rather than taking the space opportunity to carry more things (like putting up extra bookshelves, they never stay empty!!) - Aarn make two types of front bags. Those that are specific to their own packs - though they will fit some other packs, and those made to fit any 'standard' pack.

I now know this as the two directors, Aarn and Devi, have just replied to my mail about their front bags and what I was trying to do (allow me to carry the first aid kits at the front and personal things in main pack) - they have asked me to send a photo of the straps on my pack as they wish to gift me a pair of front bags, to support my first aid mission, and need to see my pack so they know which ones to send. How wonderful and kind are they! I absolutely didn't expect this largess - so kind!!!

An 'at home' Camino moment for me - I am quite overcome, those Good people!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I want to use front bags to take weight away from the main pack and balance what I am carrying rather than taking the space opportunity to carry more things (like putting up extra bookshelves, they never stay empty!!) - Aarn make two types of front bags. Those that are specific to their own packs - though they will fit some other packs, and those made to fit any 'standard' pack.

I now know this as the two directors, Aarn and Devi, have just replied to my mail about their front bags and what I was trying to do (allow me to carry the first aid kits at the front and personal things in main pack) - they have asked me to send a photo of the straps on my pack as they wish to gift me a pair of front bags, to support my first aid mission, and need to see my pack so they know which ones to send. How wonderful and kind are they! I absolutely didn't expect this largess - so kind!!!

Wonderful, David! So pleased to hear this news. Camino Angels really are everywhere!!

I not sure but I think I have extra front bags regular size and large its in the basement for a few years now but in good shape and I don't know for sure that I still have the metal stays they are from a AARN pack I still use today is free if you want them but you are right they are fit only a specific bag

zzotte

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While the Salomon bag has more capacity, it is so organized as to limit loading options, at least IMHO. In other words, it has a generous gross capacity, but limits how you can place what where. On balance, I prefer the single, large capacity compartment of the ZPacks bag.
Yes, t2andreo--that'd have been my choice too but there was only the Salomon available. But in the end I like it a lot, adn have adjusted to its quirks.

Wooooo hoooo! Well...see, David? What you put out there really does come back to you. You knew that. But now you get the pleasure of living it, and we all get to feel happy on your account. Honestly, this has made my day!

Oh that is great news @David! I, like zzotte was trying to think if I had some old balance packs that would do, but did not think they would work. This is a much much better solution. Nothing like having the right tools for the job.

PS - and how kind, I know it is only a small company. I think they were also severely affected by the Christchurch earthquake.

how kind, I know it is only a small company. I think they were also severely affected by the Christchurch earthquake.
This is very moving.
I hope the good results of their generosity comes back to them soon, and bigtime!
(Mods--digression alert!) Moving, but actually not so surprising. My experience of living in both places is that people understand interdependence very well. When times are hard you reach out. I just read somewhere of the world giving index--a UK based yearly survey that ranks countries' charitable activities. In the 2015 survey, NZ was in the top 3. (The US, Canada, OZ, and the Netherlands are up there, too.) OK. back to Aarn packs. Digression finished. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
David:

Once you sort out how to mount and use the front packs you are being "gifted" perhaps you could post a photo of the resulting rig here, and provide us you assessment of the concept?

Thank you.

I certainly will - don't know how long it could be .. will then transfer first aid kit to front bags and load it up and try it out - a nice late autumn blustery rainy stroll coming up I think!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm glad you found a solution and my offer still stand, aarn its a great company they are good people, too bad they moved out of the US, I could only buy so many packs hahaha

zzotte

@David I've just been answering a question on another thread and it reminds me - when you get the packs, don't try to remove the rods to save weight. I've come across people who have and the packs don't work properly without them Plus they get hot because one of the purposes of the rods is to allow you to bend them so the packs are out a bit from your body to allow air circulation. I hope that makes sense!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Just to add my two bobs worth.....I have just completed the Camino with my Aarn pack and it was brilliant! So handy having the two front pockets for easy access to water, camera, snacks etc. All sections have a water proof liner, cost is an issue but I got mine when a store wide 20 percent discount was on. I never felt any weight on my shoulders and as the weight is distributed around the body it tends to make the user stand upright rather than stooping forward. I came across about 5 other people with Aarn packs, all of them very happy with them.

3 Aussie girls with their Aarn packs, not dorkish at all Kanga! :)

21232-e1845820d7efa18347eb988a3dce2136.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Just to add my two bobs worth.....I have just completed the Camino with my Aarn pack and it was brilliant! So handy having the two front pockets for easy access to water, camera, snacks etc. All sections have a water proof liner, cost is an issue but I got mine when a store wide 20 percent discount was on. I never felt any weight on my shoulders and as the weight is distributed around the body it tends to make the user stand upright rather than stooping forward. I came across about 5 other people with Aarn packs, all of them very happy with them.
Hi Rose -
What size Aarn pack did you buy and which set of the front packs? I had a look at the 30L last weekend in Trek 'n Travel in Sydney and it was fantastic - it opened up like a suitcase - so easy to access your gear. Lightweight too. IMHO - the Aarns are the ultimate in Camino chic!
Cheers - Jenny

Hi Jenny, I bought the Featherlite Freedom pack which I think is about 30 lt. There was no option with the front pockets, they were the ones that came with it. The other girls in the photo had a different style of Aarn pack, it might be the one you were looking at, they were very happy with it. Mine is smallest size as I am short, the size will depend on length of your back. It has many adjustments so you can get it to be a perfect fit. After the first day you won't give a damn what it looks like. I hope you have a great Camino, look after your feet!

Welcome to the Aarn family. Be warned - they are addictive, infinitely adjustable and guaranteed to drive your walking partners nuts once you have converted.

@Kanga Don't care if I look like a Dork, at least I'm super comfortable!

I don't think this pack was mentioned, I found it by chance at our local CAA store getting travel insurance. It is a "Pacsafe" - you can lock the zippers and the whole pack as RFID - meaning no one can scan your cards, passport etc...

Here is a link: http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/venturesafe-10l-gii/275550?productid=10308702 I did not pay that much - you may be able to find it in your area!

FrontPack_Camino.JPG
The back straps did not interfere with my "BackPack" - and the best part is if I could enter anywhere with the front pack and so my valuables where always with me!

I not sure but I think I have extra front bags regular size and large its in the basement for a few years now but in good shape and I don't know for sure that I still have the metal stays they are from a AARN pack I still use today is free if you want them but you are right they are fit only a specific bag

zzotte
Kindness is everywhere :)

Yes, I agree it is fabulous to be able to reach things without taking off a pack. The benefit of the Aarn balance packs are that, because they are split, you can see your feet. Which I find important if I have to scramble over a stream or rocks. But if I could not have the Aarn pack I would definitely get the Salomon, having experienced the benefits of something at the front.
@Kanga, where in Sydney are you able to buy the Aarn packs?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

congratulations David ... that is such fabulous news ... i trust and hope we will all see some photos of you, sometime in the future, all kitted up with your super-duper Aarn balance bags ... god speed and bon chemin! This has been such an interesting and useful thread to follow ...

I know nothing about proper backpacks (have only bought Snowgum daypacks) and I am very interested in the Aarn packs.

I am in Melbourne and found this website:

http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/store/brand/aarn

The website lists its No 1 recommended Camino backpack as the Aarn - Natural Exhilaration, which holds 30 L , Weight: 1.31kg. The Aarn - Compact Balance Pockets have a Volume 6L+1L / pair; Weight 290gm / pair. The website refers to this pack as a "daypack".

The Aarn - Featherlite Freedom is listed as holding 57 l + 12L Sports Balance Pockets .

Would the Natural Exhilaration really be large enough for the Camino - if flying from Australia and planning a few weeks either end of the Camino for travel?

@KristinSdV I have used a Featherlite Freedom for years. It is bigger than most people would need on camino, but it works for me. Mine is seldom full, but I find it easier not to have to stuff things in to make them fit, and it is always useful to have a bit of spare space for gifts to take home.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/store/brand/aarn
the Aarn - Natural Exhilaration, which holds 30 L , Weight: 1.31kg. The Aarn - Compact Balance Pockets have a Volume 6L+1L / pair; Weight 290gm / pair. The website refers to this pack as a "daypack".

Would the Natural Exhilaration really be large enough for the Camino - if flying from Australia and planning a few weeks either end of the Camino for travel?
Definately not too large, I would venture to say that for many it would be too small, especially is carrying a sleeping bag. 36 to 42 range is what works for me, with 8kg of stuff, but there are those who manage only 5 or 6 kg and it may work for them.

@KristinSdV I have used a Featherlite Freedom for years. It is bigger than most people would need on camino, but it works for me. Mine is seldom full, but I find it easier not to have to stuff things in to make them fit, and it is always useful to have a bit of spare space for gifts to take home.
Thanks, Kanga and Anemone! That's all very helpful information!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I promised a picture of my highly simple highly effective cheap-ish front pack, which is just a horizontal pouch from 5.11 (mine from tactree.co.uk but available worldwide), which attached easily to my rucksack chest strap.

Perfect height, not so bulky as to obstruct view of path, handy shelf ;-), and big enough to contain :
- passport and credencial in waterproof bag
- iPad mini in bag
- small notebook and pen
- Sony rx100 camera in case
- GoPro in waterproof case
- wallet
- tissues
- sunglasses
- reading glasses
- 2 x AA batteries to replace ones in GPS if needed
- earphones
- small bag of trail mix
- and could have squeezed couple of other small things in too
image.jpeg

Very nice, Hampshiretim--I concur about the convenience of having front access, with Aarn front packs or some other design/manufacturer...it makes rest stops so much easier.
(BTW, you might consider posting that great pic on the kilt thread too!:D)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.