• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frozen churros?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Spotted these this morning amongst a large range of Spanish and Portuguese foods in my local Lidl supermarket here in Wales. Probably one of their short-term regional speciality sales. I'd never come across the idea of deep frozen churros before. Do they exist in Spanish supermarkets or are they just a bizarre idea reserved for those of us in distant foreign lands? :)

IMG_20220514_082949.jpg
IMG_20220514_083123.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
According to this article, many bars and cafés in Spain use frozen churros and porras but don’t like to reveal it to their clientele. I’m sure it wasn’t a scientific survey, but one person quoted in this article said that 80% of the public won’t notice the difference.

Just picking out a few tidbits that are more relevant to your question — the biggest producer makes 2,500 tons of frozen churros a year. 50% go out of the country. The other 50% are sold in Spain, with half of that going to retail and the other half to bars and cafés.

I say get some and try them, @Bradypus! Along with a couple of pasteis de nata. Sounds like a good sugar buzz.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not to get totally off topic, but I was a bit disappointed when I found out that most of the paella served to pilgrims is from frozen bags, and the flans served for dessert are from box mixes. I still preferred them over eating bocadillas more than once a day. I didn't often venture beyond the standard pilgrim meals or the del dias, but I could always taste the difference the few times I indulged in real Spanish cuisine. You do usually "get what you pay for".

Last edited:
Spotted these this morning amongst a large range of Spanish and Portuguese foods in my local Lidl supermarket here in Wales. Probably one of their short-term regional speciality sales. I'd never come across the idea of deep frozen churros before. Do they exist in Spanish supermarkets or are they just a bizarre idea reserved for those of us in distant foreign lands? :)

View attachment 125215
View attachment 125216
You can buy them in any Spanish supermarket.
The fresh ones are nicer. But some of the frozen ones are not bad.

Not to get totally off topic, but I was a bit disappointed when I found out that most of the paella served to pilgrims is from frozen bags, and the flans served for dessert are from box mixes. I still preferred them over eating bocadillas more than once a day. I didn't often venture beyond the standard pilgrim meals or the del dias, but I could always taste the difference the few times I indulged in real Spanish cuisine. You do usually "get what you pay for".
The dearest and I rarely eat "out" simply because a goodly number of menu offerings in the low-to-mid-tier restos are from pre-portioned flash frozen bags or boxes. It is less money and more tasty to make our own meals....even if it just a pizza or stir-fry.

Churros would be dead easy to mass produce, freeze, and reheat so @Bradypus's report is not surprising.

The paella factoid represents a far greater culinary sin. (Seriously, churros are gourmet junk food.;) "Fun dining" not "fine dining". The hot chocolate is the healthy "superfood" part of the treat...seriously...and I am unanimous in this opinion.)

B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Running a restaurant is a precarious business - most couldn't survive without sous-vide cooking.

View attachment 125215
View attachment 125216
Waitrose frequently have them

1652870715826.png
As do M&S

1652870829018.png

Best of all I like going into Canterbury where there is a fresh churros kiosk.

Sometimes I go there, stand downwind and just inhale.

Sad, isn't it? 😢

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 125215
View attachment 125216
I have read all of the above replies. In Zabaldilka it was my task to go shopping, and I did so in a local Aldi. I was impressed by the range of good quality special items from all parts of the Peninsula. On my return home to Dublin, I talked to the manager in the nearby Aldi and we spoke a good bit about the need to provide regional foods as well as their own bulk items, so locals will be enticed in.
So, trust them. I nip in from time to time to Aldi and their neighbour, Lidl. They generally have something to take my fancy!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...