• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frustrated in Roncesvalles

Oxford Alice

Time of past OR future Camino
(Bits of) Camino Frances (2001)
Camino Frances (2014)
Camino Frances (2018)
Arrived at the Albergue with a reservation and confirmation code but they didn’t have my booking. I was able to show them that the money for dinner and bed had been taken out of my bank account, but without a confirming email they won’t budge. I don’t think they sent me an email — it was just the online confirmation. They have no facility for entering the confirmation code into their system. So frustrating. Absolutely no one here seems to care about my situation. Would strongly advise anyone who has booked ahead be prepared to show a confirming email which is what they want.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry to read of the mix-up.
If you have a computer or smartphone available try checking your spam file for the confirmation. In the past other pilgrims in a similar situation have had it arrive there.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead on a Buen camino!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That does sound frustrating. I booked Roncesvalles this morning and haven't received an email. I do have a PDF confirmation which I got from a link on the final page of the online booking process. I hope that'll be OK.
I hope the rest goes a little more smoothly. ¡Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the heads-up @Oxford Alice! I booked a bed for May 3rd way back in December and also didn't receive a confirmation email. I did take a screenshot of the reservation number on the website after it was processed, took another screenshot of the payment on my Visa invoice when it arrived and have now sent all of it off to them in an email and a FB message requesting confirmation. Hope it works. :)

Sorry to hear about your frustrating and expensive situation. I just booked there today online for May 14th and I did get an email immediately plus the online reservation that downloads a PDF with one click. I have both saved now in my phone thanks to your warning. I hope they try to work out your situation for you with the evidence you have in hand. Is the Albergue full or close to it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@A Good Wander. I booked for 3 May in December and only received a form with the conformation number. Yesterday at 21:00 Spanish time I sent an email requesting confirmation, hoping for a reply today. Within 30 minutes they replied that yes, I had a confirmed reservation.

Last edited:
Sorry to read of the mix-up.
If you have a computer or smartphone available try checking your spam file for the confirmation. In the past other pilgrims in a similar situation have had it arrive there.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead on a Buen camino!
Good advice!

Sorry to hear about your frustrating and expensive situation. I just booked there today online for May 14th and I did get an email immediately plus the online reservation that downloads a PDF with one click. I have both saved now in my phone thanks to your warning. I hope they try to work out your situation for you with the evidence you have in hand. Is the Albergue full or close to it?
Last night both the new and overflow accommodation was completo. I walked today with three chaps who slept in a doorway and they weren’t the only ones who did. Because of the May Day holiday on Tuesday, many Spanish people are taking a day off Monday to create a four-day weekend. Perfect to do a couple stages of the Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had no trouble with my reservation, however I don't remember exactly what paperwork I had in my possession to show them. But I did have trouble with one the Dutch hospitaleros concerning my pack, which had been sent ahead from Orisson. He was absolutely the WORST and truly NASTIEST person I ever had to deal with on the entire Camino. I told him that I intended to report him for his unacceptable behavior. I never did because I had no idea who to write to. His attitude and demeanor were beyond belief.

@A Good Wander. I booked for 5 May in December and only received a form with the conformation number. Yesterday at 21:00 Spanish time I sent an email requesting confirmation, hoping for a reply today. Within 30 minutes they replied that yes, I had a confirmed reservation.

Great, @Buz Radican! I checked my email and messenger and received confirmation as well. Whew! All good.

@Oxford Alice glad you found a bed!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Arrived at the Albergue with a reservation and confirmation code but they didn’t have my booking. I was able to show them that the money for dinner and bed had been taken out of my bank account, but without a confirming email they won’t budge. I don’t think they sent me an email — it was just the online confirmation. They have no facility for entering the confirmation code into their system. So frustrating. Absolutely no one here seems to care about my situation. Would strongly advise anyone who has booked ahead be prepared to show a confirming email which is what they want.
When I arrived I just told them I had a reservation and my name and that was it. No problem whatsoever. I did have a printout of confirmation email but did not need it

Sorry to hear that Alice. I have booked for July and when I got the confirmation email receipt, I printed it off and will take it with me as proof of my booking. I would recommend doing that.

I want to give them a lot of credit. I've stayed there 3 times and there is a lot of pressure trying to check in several hundred pilgrim during a short period of time. They are volunteers and hotel "rookies" dealing with a great number of first time pilgrims at their first ever albergue experience. So there are lots of "dumb" questions, like where is the village, lots of pilgrims refusing to be separated from their boots and poles who have just experienced possibly the most physically daunting day of their life. Suseya

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Roncesvalles can be a very special stop to remember for a lifetime.

Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless memories for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, was singular.

I had walked 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos route to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the monastery bell to ask for shelter and would be the only one staying in the frigid old winter albergue tucked opposite the cloister entrance.

When opening the monastery door the surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" After stamping my Credential and offering hot tea, he invited me to the evening benediction. As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood and will continue to stand throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Margaret Meredith, please please write your book.
Yes please do. You have so much to impart to others, so many stories to tell. It would keep many a pilgrim, past, present or future enthralled with all your travels.
Buen Camino for your next one
Jo King - the Old Dorset Tortoise

Thanks for the heads-up @Oxford Alice! I booked a bed for May 3rd way back in December and also didn't receive a confirmation email. I did take a screenshot of the reservation number on the website after it was processed, took another screenshot of the payment on my Visa invoice when it arrived and have now sent all of it off to them in an email and a FB message requesting confirmation. Hope it works. :)
With theamount of pilgrms about i would double check. I arrived on saturday at a bout 2pm and was lne of the last beds they had. It took basic to a new level but it was a bed. Others taxied to pamplona to find a bed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Many thanks to the forum for supplying this place to record experiences and help each other. Since sharing this one I have had so many blessings along The Way. The stay in Zabaldika was particularly inspiring and healing. Roncesvalles is truly in the rear view mirror —and now I concentrate on the road ahead, and for me it’s best to leave this thread and push on. Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many thanks to the forum for supplying this place to record experiences and help each other. Since sharing this one I have had so many blessings along The Way. The stay in Zabaldika was particularly inspiring and healing. Roncesvalles is truly in the rear view mirror —and now I concentrate on the road ahead, and for me it’s best to leave this thread and push on. Ultreia!
Well done, Alice. Delighted to hear Zabaldika was kind to you, I have a vested interest in it! Now, walk tall!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last night both the new and overflow accommodation was completo. I walked today with three chaps who slept in a doorway and they weren’t the only ones who did. Because of the May Day holiday on Tuesday, many Spanish people are taking a day off Monday to create a four-day weekend. Perfect to do a couple stages of the Camino!
The Camino is really busy. I am in los arcos and everyone is booking ahead.

the monjas at roncesvalles are doing an amazing job for the last 1000 years but dont expect them to be 100% online savy. i think its astounding that you can email them at all! im sure you will always get some kind of a roof over your head for the night there.

That happened to me in SJPP. Turns out I was supposed to confirm the confirmation I received when I made the reservation. The room had been given to someone else even though I was there at 5:00 pm.
No doubt I was responsible for not complying with the requirements so I thanked them and took a private room down the street. Quiet, clean and private.
In Roncesvalles there aren’t as many options but there are 2 hotels. Both just seconds from the albergue and the church.

Would you mind sharing where you stayed in Zabaldika, it sounds truly wonderful.

That happened to me in SJPP. Turns out I was supposed to confirm the confirmation I received when I made the reservation.
Therein lies the problem that has been created by reservations -- no-shows cost the albergues money, so they do not hold beds without limit. In the "good old days" when no one took reservations, it was not a problem. Fill the beds, collect the money, put up the completo sign. Now hospitaleros need internet, a phone, a reservation book, and a lot of tolerance of pilgrims who feel entitled. Then after all the effort and expense, pilgrims simply do not show up and the bed goes empty and unpaid! On some occasions, those pilgrims complain publicly in the Forum about places that have not held, or do not take, reservations in an effort of revenge. Hospitaleros work seven days a week from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. for a compensation that many of us would sneer at in our home countries. Honestly, if you want tourist service, stay in hostales that book through something like booking.com, where they get your money if you are a no-show. For a crummy eight Euros, take what you are given... ;)

Sorry Jacobus. I am not talking about you, but I needed a quote from a previous post to segue into this, and the hospitalero request to reconfirm seemed like a good start. :(:(:)

Last edited by a moderator:
What Falcon said.
It really pisses me off, too.
I listened to an American fellow once in Lorca talk about how he'd reserved THREE beds along the way for the next day in THREE different albergues. Someone asked if he'd call and cancel the ones he didn't use. He said no. I felt like slapping him off his bar stool! (I'm feeling physical today).

People like HIM are the reason you must pay ahead more and more for reservations. As falcon explains, you just can't depend on people to keep their word and show up unless they've put down some cold hard cash.

I agree... take what you are given and be grateful if you aren't willing to put down money.

...But I"m also a bit disappointed with Roncesvalles - they haven't quite gotten the internet thing down yet. I've paid for beds and dinner for 7 people and still can't seem to get a receipt showing my payments. My concern is showing up and not having beds/dinner even after paying. I realize Edurme is on maternity leave - I wish SOMEONE would take care of business.

Holy cow... now I sound like a tourist!:eek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A 1000 likes. One of the few books regarding Camino and Life I would actually find worthy to read!
Would love to read your book...I have read many of your entries on your blog and found them both spiritual and practical

Last edited:
Therein lies the problem that has been created by reservations -- no-shows cost the albergues money, so they do not hold beds without limit. In the "good old days" when no one took reservations, it was not a problem. Fill the beds, collect the money, put up the completo sign. Now hospitaleros need internet, a phone, a reservation book, and a lot of tolerance of pilgrims who feel entitled. Then after all the effort and expense, pilgrims simply do not show up and the bed goes empty and unpaid! On some occasions, those pilgrims complain publicly in the Forum about places that have not held, or do not take, reservations in an effort of revenge. Hospitaleros work seven days a week from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. for a compensation that many of us would sneer at in our home countries. Honestly, if you want tourist service, stay in hostales that book through something like booking.com, where they get your money if you are a no-show. For a crummy eight Euros, take what you are given... ;)

Sorry Jacobus. I am not talking about you, but I needed a quote from a previous post. :(:(

AMEN! and a THOUSAND LIKES! BC SY

That does sound frustrating. I booked Roncesvalles this morning and haven't received an email. I do have a PDF confirmation which I got from a link on the final page of the online booking process. I hope that'll be OK.
I hope the rest goes a little more smoothly. ¡Buen Camino!
I booked and paid for a reservation in January for this coming August and received a copy of my receipt as a pdf, but I didn't receive an email. Hmmmm...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
AMEN! and a THOUSAND LIKES! BC SY
I could not agree more! We mostly just use booking.com for Albergues as well. However, when we use direct reservations, some albergues indicate we do not need to send deposit. I think it is unconscionable to stiff any Albergue...knowingly having more than one reservation and not canceling in a timely fashion IMO may be stealing...often from people who are trying to eek out a living! For shame!

And it's more than just the bed/room costs. And not just albergues. Even if someone pays in advance and then doesn't show up, at a small pension the owner may have made up the room, shopped for breakfast food based on expected numbers, waited and waited.... Not to mention they may actually worry that something has happened to someone walking far from home and (seemingly) planning a specific stop. It's horribly thoughtless to just not turn up.

I cancelled my reservation at the albergue because I discovered after the fact that they would not allow my transport service (CaminoFacil) to pickup my gear inside because they have an exclusive arrangement with another company. I booked a room next door at Casa Sabina instead. Problem solved.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Would you mind sharing where you stayed in Zabaldika, it sounds truly wonderful.
Zabaldika is a parrochial albergue about 9km before Pamplona. It is on the top of a hill right of the Camino. It is a steep walk up to the church and easier to get to if you take the paved road and avoid the dirt path. They serve a simple communal dinner and breakfast and usually welcome pilgrims to participate in the preparations. There is a short vesper service in the church before dinner. There is a large grassy area in front of the church and it is a great place to stretch out and sit in the sun after getting over the Pyrenees.

I cancelled my reservation at the albergue because I discovered after the fact that they would not allow my transport service (CaminoFacil) to pickup my gear inside because they have an exclusive arrangement with another company. I booked a room next door at Casa Sabina instead. Problem solved.

I've always had Caminofacil pick up my bags at Roncesvalles. Casa Sabina is a lot more expensive than the albergue. Where did you hear your bags could not be picked up by Caminofacil?

I've always had Caminofacil pick up my bags at Roncesvalles. Casa Sabina is a lot more expensive than the albergue. Where did you hear your bags could not be picked up by Caminofacil?
CaminoFacil told me that although they could do the drop off, they could not come inside for the pickup because of am exclusive arrangement with another transport service. I was going to have to meet their pickup car outside at a particular time. This sounded like a screwup waiting to happen so I cancelled the albergue reservation amd booked a private room at Casa Sabina who honors all transport services. This situation struck me as illogical, but I did not want to spend any more time messaging back and forth about it. My goal was to have this excursion go as smoothly as possible, and it did! Much better than my Camino in 2015.

We never made a reservation (except for Orrison) in 2015 and 2016. Has it changed so much?
We carried our own stuff too.

Last edited:
We never made a reservation (except for Orrison) in 2015 and 2016. Has it changed so much. We carried our own stuff too.
I am 72 years old and my backpacking days are behind me, hence the sherpa service. Same with sleeping in a bunkbed. I made reservations in advance so that I didn't get stuck without accommodations. I did not want to add snxiety on top of the stress of hiking long miles.

I am 72 years old and my backpacking days are behind me, hence the sherpa service. Same with sleeping in a bunkbed. I made reservations in advance so that I didn't get stuck without accommodations. I did not want to add snxiety on top of the stress of hiking long miles.

We had a problem with accommodations only once (when we walked late into the evening, but it worked out fine-- we just walked another 5 km.) I loved that we could stop where we wanted as we walked, and am sad to think that has changed.

We had a problem with accommodations only once (when we walked late into the evening, but it worked out fine-- we just walked another 5 km.) I loved that we could stop where we wanted as we walked, and am sad to think that has changed.
I agree except for walking the extra 5 km

Yes, that was a bit trying. We could have walked 2km back, but I just couldn't see walking back. :)
Agreed again! Walking back 2 km and then walking forward again those same 2 km equals 4 extra kilometers. It makes sense to walk forward 5 instead which is only one more km. Plus you would have to walk them anyway the next day.

Hi. We have booked a few a long the way using Booking.com. Just wondering if you used it as well?

Hi. We have booked a few a long the way using Booking.com. Just wondering if you used it as well?
Whenever I have booked through either Bookings.com or Hotels. com, I have never had a problem with a reservation. However when booking directly with the proprietor it always seemed problematic: one even told me that if I didn't arrive by 3pm he would feel free to give my room to another peregrino. This takes the fun out of hiking at your own pace. Next time I will book all posadas through a booking agency that guarantees the room or even takes payment in advance in dollars.

Sorry Jacobus. I am not talking about you, but I needed a quote from a previous post to segue into this, and the hospitalero request to reconfirm seemed like a good start. :(:(:)
Good Morning
This situation was my bad! I reserved by email with a very very popular private albergue and was sent a confirmation a few months before departing from home. It was my third Camino. In the “small print” of the email was the requirement to re-confirm with the albergue. Well guess who forgot to re-read the small print. It was one of many reservations I had made and the only one that required a confirmation of the confirmationLesson learned. I had stayed there and conformed on prior visits because it was my only reservation and this time plum forgot.
...and just for the record I did accept the judgement at the time and moved on. Had a good laff at my own expense when I was snuggled in my bunk in the albergue across the street.
Cheers
Jim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked in 2014 and I didn't make a reservation at Roncesvilles. I guess things have changed?

I walked in 2014 and I didn't make a reservation at Roncesvilles. I guess things have changed?

Same here (April 2014). At the time, I didn't even know it was possible to book it!

€83,-
I heard of people with similair problems its a bad and long system

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.