• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frustrating, irritating, and annoying pictures on this forum.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Not about bad content, but what I mean is: Sometimes, I like to view pictures from the Caminos: This forum has an abundance of fantastic pictures, but: Many of them are without ANY info about WHERE! I can sometimes go down memory lane with these pictures: For many of them, I can see where it is taken, but other times not: It is so annoying!

I wish that @ivar would remove them, or at least not post new ones that do not have a description of WHERE a picture is taken.

I mean, what does this picture title tell me:

SAM_1237.JPG ?

Nothing! I. Hate. It.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, I guess you could ask in the comments under the picture? If I find out where it was taken, some times I actually update the picture title with the name of the place (especially if the name of the photo is as it came out of the camera, like "E183BD3C-0370-4A3B-8631-31E5CB8EF76E.jpeg"

Well, I guess you could ask in the comments under the picture? If I find out where it was taken, some times I actually update the picture title with the name of the place (especially if the name of the photo is as it came out of the camera, like "E183BD3C-0370-4A3B-8631-31E5CB8EF76E.jpeg"
I don't want to go asking the inconsiderate poster of every picture where it is: Time is precious at my age. :) I just find it so inconsiderate of the picture poster to behave like this. Jeeezzz: I must be in a bad mood tonight,..

But oh well: I will survive: I once had a very seasick person onboard my boat: The only thing that kept him alive, was his hope of dying.

BTW @ivar : It comes as no surprise that you do editing: It is most likely in your nature. Thank You!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many photos these days have GPS metadata embedded within them. A future small upgrade to the forum software could extract the coordinates automatically, do a lookup to one of the online geolocation servers (returning the name of the nearest community), and then automatically add that to the post. It still wouldn't be as useful as a user actually describing the location, but it would still be a big help.

Other useful bits of metadata that could be extracted include the date the photo was taken and perhaps the direction the camera was facing at the time.

I agree. I'm looking at @alexwalker's Avatar at this very moment, and there's no information about where it was taken. You know, just so I can tell whether I've been there before . . . That he's from Norway doesn't help, unless it's actually from Norway, in which case I probably haven't been there before.

ARGHHH!!!!! What is a pilgrim to do?!

;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many photos these days have GPS metadata embedded within them. A future small upgrade to the forum software could extract the coordinates automatically, do a lookup to one of the online geolocation servers (returning the name of the nearest community), and then automatically add that to the post. It still wouldn't be as useful as a user actually describing the location, but it would still be a big help.

Other useful bits of metadata that could be extracted include the date the photo was taken and perhaps the direction the camera was facing at the time.
Gracias, Dio! Tu existe!

I agree. I'm looking at @alexwalker's Avatar at this very moment, and there's no information about where it was taken. You know, just so I can tell whether I've been there before . . . That he's from Norway doesn't help, unless it's actually from Norway, in which case I probably haven't been there before.

;)
:) And you cannot figure out where the lighthouse in the background is?! Start the quiz!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I thought that was your hat...are you saying it's actually a lighthouse?! 😅
Alex is the lighthouse, and the light in his eyes are the fires of wrath for unlabeled pictures. Just think how many souls have been saved from wrecking on the rocky shoals of the Camino because of those fires.

Everyone, for the safety of those who come after us, DON'T EVER LABEL YOUR PICTURES! #keepthefireslit

Not about bad content, but what I mean is: Sometimes, I like to view pictures from the Caminos: This forum has an abundance of fantastic pictures, but: Many of them are without ANY info about WHERE! I can sometimes go down memory lane with these pictures: For many of them, I can see where it is taken, but other times not: It is so annoying!

I wish that @ivar would remove them, or at least not post new ones that do not have a description of WHERE a picture is taken.

SAM_1237.JPG ?

Nothing! I. Hate. It.

Hola @alexwalker I have privately been having this winge for the past 4 or more years. So if you are a photographer PLEASE provide some location indication, and a date of taking the photo would also help. Now I know that someone is going to tell me that there is GPS data attached to most photographs. But that only helps if one is computer literate enough to find the little file. Me no can do??!!

Hola @stratophile . I was aware of this information. But as I said above I dont understand how to get the data. I was just examining my avatar - just about anyone who has walked the meseta will recognise the bridge in the background. But for those that dont how does one donwload the GPS coords. BTW I am currently on my PC (Windows 10) and I also use my iPad. Thanks for any help. Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What I would like to know, Alex, is why you are allowed to have such a long list under your "Camino(s) past & future"? It is seriously annoying me ;) when everyone else has to limit it to just a few lines.
:cool:

This was not meant to be a fun thread: It was meant to be a complaint thread. You guys are all ruining my seriously meant thread! :cool:

My bedroom wall. In Los Angeles, California.

January 29TH, 2019.

As a card-carrying Compostela owning peregrina this pic is camino relevant.

73C6819B-410D-4E12-BDC6-62917081B439.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The automatic extraction of any GPS data was my first thought too but that was followed immediately by my second one. The data might not say where the picture was taken but instead where it was processed, i.e., the coordinates of the photographer's home. I have seen this on this forum.

I have been curious about some photos on this site and have extracted the GPS information and posted that information as comments to the photo's page. Once a closeup of a door or something that was labeled as being taken in Pamplona looked familiar and so I checked for its location. The photo's metadata indicated that it was "created" by a photo editor and the location marked was not in Pamplona but instead a house in suburban southern California. In a PM to the photographer I pointed out that he had a problem.

So, no. The forum should not do the extraction automatically.

If, on the other hand, you are curious yourself the webpage https://exifinfo.org may work for you.

Sometimes, only the image is important. Beyond that, nothing is vital!
Incorrect. The New York Giants winning another Super Bowl before I die is vital to the health, happiness spiritual peace of men and women around the world, But most of all especially me!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Incorrect. The New York Giants winning another Super Bowl before I die is vital to the health, happiness spiritual peace of men and women around the world, But most of all especially me!

Sorry, but I don't think so, as some of us, me included, have no idea what the Super Bowl is nor who the Giants are... ;-)

BC SY

SAM_1237.JPG ?

Nothing! I. Hate. It.

Just for the record, I stand with alexwalker......

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry, but I don't think so, as some of us, me included, have no idea what the Super Bowl is nor who the Giants are... ;-)

BC SY
On completion of my next Camino, Sally I would be more than happy to come see you and give a quick 3 or 4 hour rundown on the history of the New York Football Giants, our greatest games, greatest heartbreaks and greatest players. I am sure it will be a life changing event for you. You don't have to thank me I am a giver. See how evolved I have become after 5 caminos??!!!!! ;) :)

BC SY
I do not follow sports and could care less who wins, but I do know the Giants are a football (not soccer) team in the US and the SuperBowl is the grand finale of the season. There...now you know!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

SAM_1237.JPG ?

Nothing! I. Hate. It.
Don't worry about it. Go on the Camino, then you simply take your own pictures. Ps then post your pictures without any reference to where they are. That way everyone else will have to go on their caminho to take their own pictures.............. ad infinitum.

Bom caminho

SAM_1237.JPG ?

Nothing! I. Hate. It.

I Agree but worse are the specific FB Camino group posts which I join to see actual current info. They do this long description of the walk, weather, distance, albergue and fotos but never say where. I use to,post each day for example on the Camino del Norte: CdN D1 Irun-San Sebastien 27km 18C sunny. Then describe terrain, albergue with name and fotos. Then I have my own record.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Actually for me the most frustrating thing are youtube videos. Many of them are made very well and wonderful, but often they never tell you the date they started or month they walked in. Sometimes I can tell by the pictures/videos, but often can not. If it's a route I am contemplating in the future, I'd like to know what time of year they walked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do not follow sports and could care less who wins, but I do know the Giants are a football (not soccer) team in the US and the SuperBowl is the grand finale of the season. There...now you know!
To clarify for the world wide audience... Football is a game played with the feet, everywhere but the US and Canada, where it is played mostly with hands and the ball isn't round but oblong. In the rest of the world it is played mostly with the feet and the ball is round. To be more correct and understandable perhaps football in US and Canada should now be referred to as Hand Egg so as not to be confused with Foot Ball... And yes, that has no bearing to @alexwalker gripe on photo locations, unless it happens to also include a Hand Egg or Foot Ball at some point... which is statistically unlikely if there is to be a lighthouse in the background...

To clarify for the world wide audience... Football is a game played with the feet, everywhere but the US and Canada, where it is played mostly with hands and the ball isn't round but oblong. In the rest of the world it is played mostly with the feet and the ball is round. To be more correct and understandable perhaps football in US and Canada should now be referred to as Hand Egg so as not to be confused with Foot Ball... And yes, that has no bearing to @alexwalker gripe on photo locations, unless it happens to also include a Hand Egg or Foot Ball at some point... which is unlikely if there is to be a lighthouse in the background...
Indeed, American Handball (Handegg) should be the correct name! Thank you! And yes, there's a lighthouse behind me...

To clarify for the world wide audience... Football is a game played with the feet, everywhere but the US and Canada, where it is played mostly with hands and the ball isn't round but oblong. In the rest of the world it is played mostly with the feet and the ball is round. To be more correct and understandable perhaps football in US and Canada should now be referred to as Hand Egg so as not to be confused with Foot Ball... And yes, that has no bearing to @alexwalker gripe on photo locations, unless it happens to also include a Hand Egg or Foot Ball at some point... which is statistically unlikely if there is to be a lighthouse in the background...
Yes, in the UK football is the USA's soccer. Our football is misnamed for sure...but it does get kicked with the foot once.😅

There is a problem with the EXIF data on photos and that is, when a JPG is compressed, or otherwise processed, the EXIF data is often changed or deleted. The EXIF or data portion of a JPG file is the "extra" non-visual data that is used for many purposes. Only one of those is GPS location data. Try a Google search for EXIF and see what you find I'm working with a faulty memory.

Last edited:

;)
Song of the day: “Whine, whine, whine...”. Not criticizing as I agree pretty much with the thread. Sometimes we just have to let it out....

€149,-
There is a problem with the EXIF data on photos and that is, when a JPG is compressed, or otherwise processed, the EXIF data is often changed or deleted. The EXIF or data portion of a JPG file is the "extra" non-visual data that is used for many purposes. Only one of those is GPS location data. Try a Google search for EXIF and sed what you find I'm working with a faulty memory.
You are a true geek!

Football is a game played with the feet, everywhere but the US and Canada, where it is played mostly with hands and the ball isn't round but oblong. In the rest of the world it is played mostly with the feet and the ball is round.
What nonsense!! There is always a danger when one claims to speak for the rest of the world that one ends up displaying in all their glory one's own regional biases about the use of particular words, or even worse in this case, one's ignorance of the many distinct football codes that are played around the world.

In this case, I will stand with my US and Canadian friends in defence of their right to use the word football for their variations of gridiron, and to refer to association football as soccer. It is not mis-named, as @Camino Chrissy seems to suggest. Football is one of those flexible words that is used in English everywhere, but always with a specific local meaning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What nonsense!! There is always a danger when one claims to speak for the rest of the world that one ends up displaying in all their glory one's own regional biases about the use of particular words, or even worse in this case, one's ignorance of the many distinct football codes that are played around the world.

In this case, I will stand with my US and Canadian friends in defence of their right to use the word football for their variations of gridiron, and to refer to association football as soccer. It is not mis-named, as @Camino Chrissy seems to suggest. Football is one of those flexible words that is used in English everywhere, but always with a specific local meaning.
Well, the "region" you talk about, has a more correct name: The rest of the world outside US/Canada... :) :) :cool:

Football is one of those flexible words that is used in English everywhere, but always with a specific local meaning.
No. the way you play it, the rest of the world call it handball. There are World Championships arranged for that sport. Football is not a flexible word: It means: playing with a ball with one's feet; hence the name of the game. :)

Last edited:
Song of the day: “Whine, whine, whine...”. Not criticizing as I agree pretty much with the thread. Sometimes we just have to let it out....
Allow me to correct your confusing misspellings: It should stay "Wine, wine, wine...". At least when we talk communal dinners... :cool: But we're going off-topic here...

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't like to know everything in advance. I carry a cell phone that records my GPS location. I don't much care where I am going, but I like to know whare I hale been. Here is the record of when I quit my most recent attempt a walking the Camino. It is where the train went. I have these for all my Camino walking/travelling. map_2020-01-13_17-32-52.jpg

Interesting. As a Canadian myself, I watch a fair amount of 'gridiron' as you refer to north american football I'm curious which part of our north american brand of 'football' I am wrong about? Either way, not too fussed as the post was done in fun which seems to have been lost on you. My apologies for missing your Aussie Rules version :)

Is that really so, Alex? I'm sure you lose all sense of time when you're on a Camino and are surprised when a Sunday pops up and the shops are shut.
A very good pont, my friend: Yes, on the Camino, time just flows in a good way. Staying at home reminds me of the time flowing: Have to go back to release the time grasp! :) That's why I'll continue until I drop. It (The Camino) is good for us.

SAM_1237.JPG ?

Nothing! I. Hate. It.
I totally agree.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please stay on track members. The topic is unidentified pictures.
1580431073821.png
But, Ma, I'm waiting for an email postcard from Pooh so I can look at the EXIF data and the KML tracks so I know where he's been. The card I got from @alexwalker had a lighthouse but I couldn't find it in the 100 Acre Wood.

My apologies for missing your Aussie Rules version
... and the Irish or any of the nations playing one or other of the versions of rugby?

No. the way you play it, the rest of the world call it handball. There are World Championships arranged for that sport. Football is not a flexible word: It means: playing with a ball with one's feet; hence the name of the game.
I sense a Don Quixote moment coming on here. I think I will go back to removing the geo-location tags from all my photos!

Well, It seems that most likely, no churches in Spain contain a lighthouse, to my limited knowledge...
only tried to find the picture you were referring to, as enlightenment (!).....

- men ellers er det rigtigt nok , ej fyrtårn i kirker !! -men måske en dag blir jeg overrasket !!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So do you think your short explanation is better for Sally than me tying her to a chair and giving my 3 hour lecture???????? I doubt it Camino Chrissy!!!!!!:cool:

So do you think your short explanation is better for Sally than me tying her to a chair and giving my 3 hour lecture???????? I doubt it Camino Chrissy!!!!!!:cool:
If you have to tie her to a chair for three hours for her to listen to your ramble, then I think she is happier with my ten second explanation! 😛

€46,-
Well than, I will start removing my pictures. unless someone says ... NO, please don't. There is so much fun at watching new places...
After that I start looking at your media... what media? 😱

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why should you have to do all the work? This applies to photos on all social media (FB, Instagram)

The
Last one is really easy, even for someone who has not been there yet. Where would we find a lighthouse, close to the sea and showing 0.0 kilometers on the way marker? Why Cape Finisterre, of course!

Clearly you have never been to New Zealand

Last one is really easy, even for someone who has not been there yet. Where would we find a lighthouse, close to the sea and showing 0.0 kilometers on the way marker? Why Cape Finisterre, of course!
Correct. Yes, I have also noticed that most, if not all, lighthouses are located close to the sea.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back