• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frustration: no room at the inn

Loretta S

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Frances 2019
Frances 2022
A bit frustrated. Arrived in larassona 2 days ago at 3:00 at albuerges were full. Kind owner at al. Nich? called and found us a spot 2 km back and incredibly offered to drive us. Alas had to walk that 2 km again in morning. Called ahead to a few albergues and hostels last night while in Pamplona and each one we called was already full for tonight and many for tomorrow. Yikes. I wasn't expecting to need to book albergues days in ahead. Now worried that we will not have a place to stay in puenta reina and it is a long walk today. Off we go.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, Loretta,
I can imagine the frustration!. You may be in a 'wave.'
Try staying in intermediate towns - there are 2 immediately before PlR (Muruzabal and Obanos).
The 'scene' is much quieter at such places and it'll be more likely that there is room at the inn. I stayed at Muruzabal last May when it was pretty crowded and had no trouble fining space.

DSCN4012.JPG
Hello, Loretta,
Try staying in intermediate towns - there are 2 immediately before PlR (Muruzabal and Obanos).
The 'scene' is much quieter at such places and it'll be more likely that there is room at the inn. I stayed at Muruzabal last May when it was pretty crowded and had no trouble fining space.
Lovely family run hostel with a pool just down the mountain from the pilgrim memorial

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In years past, September has been very crowded along certain points of the Frances. If you look at the pilgrim office statistics, you can see how its popularity has increased dramatically, in fact it is one of the busiest months of the whole year. This year is breaking all records, so I imagine this September will be more crowded than last. Just makes it so much more important to avoid the typical end stages. Good luck Loretta and keep us posted! Buen camino, Laurie

Try walking past Pamplona to Cizur Menor. I stayed at Albergue Maribel Roncal there. It was very nice. They take reservations too.
In Puente la Reina try Albergue Guía Estrella. Natalia who runs it is a former peregrina from Brazil, and is wonderful. After that stop in Villatuerta rather than Estella, and stay at La Casa Mágica - one of the very best albergues on the Camino. You can book it on Booking.com, and there is no cancelation fee if you change your mind.

IMG_0249.JPG
Try walking past Pamplona to Cizur Menor. I stayed at Albergue Maribel Roncal there. It was very nice. They take reservations too.
In Puente la Reina try Albergue Guía Estrella. Natalia who runs it is a former peregrina from Brazil, and is wonderful. After that stop in Villatuerta rather than Estella, and stay at La Casa Mágica - one of the very best albergues on the Camino. You can book it on Booking.com, and there is no cancelation fee if you change your mind.
La casa magical is magical!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Loretta,
Getting caught in a bed race is not fun! Lots of good advice above. Not sure if this will help but I had a contingency plan should I end the day in a town with no beds. It was to call a taxi to take me to a nearby town off the camino and then take another taxi back in the morning. I never had to put this plan into action thanks to the kindness of various hospitaleros but having the plan did help calm the nerves and allowed me to enjoy the walking without stressing about whether I would have a bed to sleep in that night.
Another thought I had when reading your post was to finish your day's walking a bit earlier while you are in this busy wave of pilgrims.
Buen camino

"Me Too" Last May I specifically adjusted my walking days so as to get away from the Brierley stages. After Puente La Reina I can recommend Casa Magica in Villatuerta and then Villamayor de Monjadin (although Los Acros is one of my favourite towns. Viana & Navarrete are almost places to plan as over night stops. Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, Loretta,
I'd highly recommend Muruzabal, by the way. I also stayed there, in early May this year, and it was a real oasis. Great food, wonderful facilities (including a pool!) and from there it's an easy afternoon stroll off Camino to visit the church st Eunate.

"Me Too" Last May I specifically adjusted my walking days so as to get away from the Brierley stages. After Puente La Reina I can recommend Casa Magica in Villatuerta and then Villamayor de Monjadin (although Los Acros is one of my favourite towns. Viana & Navarrete are almost places to plan as over night stops. Cheers
And Ventosa...I had a brilliant night there at the Albergue in May.

I stayed at the albergue Sanitago Apostol just the other side of the bridge in Puenta De La Reina in July and it was virtually deserted. Think the fact that it's the other side of town and up a hill put most poeple off. Not exactly brimming with character but had a fantastic pool.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Obanos was nice - just about 2 km from Eunate or Puente la Reina.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello, Loretta,
I think you're right we are in a swell. We did stay in Obanos and it was gr

Thank you all. Great suggestions. We are currently in Los Arcos. We are planning to go to logrono tomorrow. I have reserved a place. Then will look at stages and probably stay in "off" villages as you recommend. Sorry I vented in my first post. I was tired and frustrated but doing better now.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back