• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FSO so proud and Lent on Camino

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
is it wrong that I'm inordinately proud that my end of winter pack weight is 10%. And my FSO is 13% (absolutely everything except water)?

I'm so happy! :D

And since Spain is mostly culturally Catholic, do you think that Pilgrim meals on Friday will have a fish option on my Lenten Camino?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congrats! That is pretty amazing; you have planned well and it will pay off in spades for you on Camino. Yes, it is wonderful to rejoice in things - to be happy about achieving goals. Three cheers for a job well done.

Few of us are able to be so disciplined prior to a first camino. We always seem to invent things that we thing are absolutely necessary. Yet, when the Way is before us and we assimilate to the simple life of putting one foot in front of the other, meeting others, conversing with them, and having a goodly amount of time to to ponder, contemplate about things we quickly learn how little we need in life. It appears that you have learned that lesson all ready.

I wish I could answer the question from knowledge - I have never walked during Lent - what a blessing that you have made this time work for you. I suspect you will not have any problems, but others who have walked during this time will be able to confirm such a position by experience.

I am really happy for you....and a little bit envious. Buen Camino

It is making me nuts that I do not have even one nice shirt for dinner. 2 total outfits. And the necessary extra layers for the mtn regions. But I'm trusting everyone who has told me I won't need more than that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The great thing is that if the weather does something irregular it will be easy to quickly buy what is needed. You will have a wonderful Camino.

is it wrong that I'm inordinately proud that my end of winter pack weight is 10%. And my FSO is 13% (absolutely everything except water)?

And since Spain is mostly culturally Catholic, do you think that Pilgrim meals on Friday will have a fish option on my Lenten Camino?
It seems to me that most Pilgrim menus had a fish offering every day, not just Fridays.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It seems to me that most Pilgrim menus had a fish offering every day, not just Fridays.

Yes, I’m a “fishyterian” (I don’t eat meat or chicken), and most pilgrim menus have a fish choice at any time of the week (and if there is no fish, there would be another vegetarian option).
Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Eve

In Carrion de los Condes I asked if there was a non meat option. I was told I could have
"choice of two fish". When I went for that I didn't expect him to bring two
dead fish to the table and ask which I preferred.

I'm impressed that your FSO is at 13 %, even though I've no idea what FSO means :(

Hola - Spain being a "catholic country" there is generally a non meat option most times and certainly on Fridays since the obligation (for those who accept such things) to abstain from meat applies to all Fridays and not just those in Lent :) In any event salads and tortilla are generally always available.

In Spain is it year round? It isn't in the US. It's optional outside of Lent if you wish to substitute some other penitential act on Fridays.

Well anyway it doesn't sound like it's going to be difficult to find fish on Fridays. I'm relieved. :)

Hi Eve

In Carrion de los Condes I asked if there was a non meat option. I was told I could have
"choice of two fish". When I went for that I didn't expect him to bring two
dead fish to the table and ask which I preferred.

I'm impressed that your FSO is at 13 %, even though I've no idea what FSO means :(

Oh my!!!!! Did you just try to play it cool and point to the one you liked? I think I would have been stunned! :D

FSO means from the skin out. It's the weight of full pack plus all you are wearing and carrying. Anything under 15% for an end of winter camino...I'm calling it a win. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is making me nuts that I do not have even one nice shirt for dinner. 2 total outfits. And the necessary extra layers for the mtn regions. But I'm trusting everyone who has told me I won't need more than that.

Is there time to put on a couple kilos before leaving? 10% of that should cover the dress shirt! ;)

Having fun. If I carry 10% of my current weight on camino, it'll be a pack and a half!

Is there time to put on a couple kilos before leaving? 10% of that should cover the dress shirt! ;)

Having fun. If I carry 10% of my current weight on camino, it'll be a pack and a half!

Hehe. Actually it's 10% of my recommended weight. Not my actual weight. Maybe I'll be a little closer to it by the end of my Camino! ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All this time I had planned for winter weather. Which meant no trekking sandals. Just some cheap flip flops for at night. As it got closer, I noticed the weather in some places along the Camino has been into the low 70s. Figured I better get some sandals (I kind of hate hot feet). Added 20 oz to my pack!

One thing I learned the hard way...if you need to kit out, sometimes it's better to wait until it's closer to time to leave to make purchases. I could have saved some $ if I had waited.

All this time I had planned for winter weather. Which meant no trekking sandals. Just some cheap flip flops for at night. As it got closer, I noticed the weather in some places along the Camino has been into the low 70s. Figured I better get some sandals (I kind of hate hot feet). Added 20 oz to my pack!

One thing I learned the hard way...if you need to kit out, sometimes it's better to wait until it's closer to time to leave to make purchases. I could have saved some $ if I had waited.

Good advice Eve. I've realized that I need to wait until just before my trip to decide whether or not to take a long sleeve wool shirt. Some people's idea of "cold" is shorts weather for me. Which sandals did you decide on?

Good advice Eve. I've realized that I need to wait until just before my trip to decide whether or not to take a long sleeve wool shirt. Some people's idea of "cold" is shorts weather for me. Which sandals did you decide on?

Lol. Yeah me too on the shorts weather. :) I bought men's Keen Clearwater.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Consider taking a pretty lightweight scarf that can compliment your walking clothes. It's always makes me feel "almost" like I have a new outfit!

Yay thats great. What's FSO?

Consider taking a pretty lightweight scarf that can compliment your walking clothes.
I do that. But sometimes I wonder if, by trying that hard, I end up being instantly seen as an aging-woman-who-is wearing-a bright-scarf-to-perk-up-her-look. Then I think I should be really independent in my style, and wear more grunge! :cool: In the end I usually look quite ordinary and decide none of this is worth much effort. :p

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I do that. But sometimes I wonder if, by trying that hard, I end up being instantly seen as an aging-woman-who-is wearing-a bright-scarf-to-perk-up-her-look. Then I think I should be really independent in my style, and wear more grunge! :cool: In the end I usually look quite ordinary and decide none of this is worth much effort. :p
I, too, look quite ordinary, except for that scarf which I only wear at dinner. Maybe you are right about the scarf, but my natural gray hair already says I'm no youngster so who cares! :)

I am taking a scarf but it's not for around my neck. I cannot stand wearing scarves around my neck. :p I saw someone here mention that they strung a scarf through the belt loops on a macabi skirt. I think that's brilliant. On days where I wear my macabi as capris, my plan is to mask that strap on the macabi with it.

Forget fashion. I am going for the Aladdin look! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am taking a scarf but it's not for around my neck. I cannot stand wearing scarves around my neck. :p I saw someone here mention that they strung a scarf through the belt loops on a macabi skirt. I think that's brilliant. On days where I wear my macabi as capris, my plan is to mask that strap on the macabi with it.

Forget fashion. I am going for the Aladdin look! :D
You are too funny! I like your optomistic wording the "Aladdin look" in describing the macabi...much better than me calling them "bag lady skirts/capris"! ;)

You are too funny! I like your optomistic wording the "Aladdin look" in describing the macabi...much better than me calling them "bag lady skirts/capris"! ;)

I should probably give props to my teen daughter. She saw me come in from a walk with my pack and my macabi as capris. She rolled her eyes and said, "you look like Aladdin, Mom!" I decided to embrace it! :D

I'm going to be disconnecting as much as I can from the internet but I did establish an Instagram account just for my Camino. There are sites that will create a photo book for you directly from your Instagram and I think that's brilliant (I'm too lazy to do scrapbooking the traditional way).

So if anyone wants to follow me, I'm on IG as

bitch_pilgrimage

I leave on the Ides of March. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm going to be disconnecting as much as I can from the internet but I did establish an Instagram account just for my Camino. There are sites that will create a photo book for you directly from your Instagram and I think that's brilliant (I'm too lazy to do scrapbooking the traditional way).

So if anyone wants to follow me, I'm on IG as

bitch_pilgrimage

I leave on the Ides of March. :)
Hi Eve,
I hope you have a great journey when you begin on March 15th! (I had to google to find out what Ides of March was. Lol.) I have enjoyed your forum questions these past weeks, your humor and quick wit! All who meet you along the way I'm sure are in for a real treat!
Buen Camino!
Chris

Hi Eve,
I hope you have a great journey when you begin on March 15th! (I had to google to find out what Ides of March was. Lol.) I have enjoyed your forum questions these past weeks, your humor and quick wit! All who meet you along the way I'm sure are in for a real treat!
Buen Camino!
Chris
Thank you Chris. I am so grateful for this forum. I could not have even begun to adequately prepare without these places on the web for help.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So close now. Ultreia y suseia. I think that means scary and fun or something like that :).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back