• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Fuenterroble hostel is hosting a baker's dozen of pilgrims who got stuck on VDLP

• Thread starter Deleted member 73526
  • Start date
OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 73526

An extraordinary and beautiful story from Fuenterroble, where 16 people - father Blas, two volunteers, and 13 pilgrims - are waiting out the lockdown:

04/17/2020

Pilgrims confined in the parish hostel of Fuenterroble
The priest Blas Rodríguez has lived with 16 people since the beginning of the state of alarm, on March 14
This confinement by the state of alarm has caught some by surprise, since it entered into force on March 14. Many pilgrims were on the Camino de Santiago, and a call was made to the “individual responsibility” of each pilgrim from the Spanish Federation of Associations of Friends of the Camino de Santiago, and many managed to return to their homes, so the hostels they closed.

But some were not so lucky, not finding a way to return to their places of origin. This is the case of several pilgrims from Italy, Great Britain, Germany, Holland and America, who traveled the Camino de la Plata as they passed through Fuenterroble de Salvatierra.

Hospitality in multiple languages
But they found a roof and heat in the parish hostel "Santa María ', in this municipality in the Guijuelo region. 16 people have been confined there for more than a month, including the diocesan priest Blas Rodríguez, who coordinates the activity of the center, as well as a couple who collaborate in the management.

Along with them there are also four students from the "La Inmaculada" School in Armenteros, whose parents have not yet been able to pick them up, "but in the coming days they will." All of them have been welcomed "from the hospitality that marks the Christian life," as Blas Rodríguez points out. "This is an example of the welcome of the Church, it welcomes anyone, of any nationality and creed," he adds, "without any conditions." This priest assures that everyone has their table set, “the fire is lit and a bed to rest”, and that among all, “we are sharing what we can, and it is the welcome with a note of Christian identity that is the hospitality".

Blas Rodríguez confirms that coexistence is proving "very rich", despite the difficulties that the diversity of languages can pose. "This a little Pentecost, speaking in different languages, we all understand each other because what matters is goodwill and the desire that everyone do their best, what they have at all times."

One of the pilgrims dedicates part of his time to one of his passions, painting.
During these days, "there is no time to get bored," he stresses, because the day begins with a thorough cleaning of the entire hostel. "There is time later for workshops and various activities, in addition to preparing meals, and even the daily prayer," says Rodríguez.

On Sundays the Eucharist is celebrated, and this has also been done during the Easter Triduum: “They have had to be celebrated internally, and it is a very rich experience, because we have had the opportunity for those who wanted to participate, to have done ”, sentence.

Silence and prayer
One of the aspects that characterize the Camino de Santiago, as this priest describes, is silence, which allows pilgrims to enjoy their experience to the fullest. And in his parish hostel there is also a moment for it, and that time of silence and the prayer that is shared “is a gift” as Blas Rodríguez describes it.

Eduardo with another pilgrims staying at the hostel.
"We have been very lucky to find shelter here," says Eduardo , one of the pilgrims staying at the hostel, and who feels fortunate to have been hosted there, like the rest of the pilgrims. "I had no chance to return to my country in March, there was no way to return," he says.

He feels very sorry for not being able to be next to his family in these circumstances, especially next to his father, who is older. This Italian pilgrim was on the Camino de Santiago Mozárabe, and it was not the first time that he embarked on this adventure, "for spiritual motivation", because for him, "it is a moment of inner reflection and thinking."

This pilgrim, excitedly relates his stay in this hostel: “We organize ourselves in different rooms, I share it with another man from Madrid. We clean the place where we rest, and I collaborate in what I can, I read, I listen to music and every day we do a moment of meditation, we read the Gospel and we share it ”.

Eduardo helps Blas in the preparation of the daily prayer, something that for him is very enriching: “It is an important moment for me, in which I confront and feel closer to the path for me, where questions are asked about the Gospel, and you try to answer. "

25 years offering welcome in this parish hostel
The doors of the "Santa María 'hostel have been open for almost 25 years, offering very enriching experiences," because each pilgrim who passes by here is still a treasure, transmits very positive vibes, because he is a man with a lot of creativity, with A lot of hope, wanting to discover a new world, to seek and cultivate his inner life, then all of this is contagious ”.

For Blas Rodríguez, the greatest wealth is meeting them. "Each one is a gift, a treasure," says the local priest.

And waiting for the state of alarm to rise and they can resume their journey to embrace the Apostle Santiago, these pilgrims will continue to share shelter and food in this parish hostel.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Raggy,
Thank you for sharing this inspirational story of
Fuenterroble.
In these difficult pandemic times it is most welcome to read of such a special place filled with the true and enduring spirit of human compassion, faith and love.

An extraordinary and beautiful story from Fuenterroble, where 16 people - father Blas, two volunteers, and 13 pilgrims - are waiting out the lockdown:

04/17/2020

The priest Blas Rodríguez has lived with 16 people since the beginning of the state of alarm, on March 14
This confinement by the state of alarm has caught some by surprise, since it entered into force on March 14. Many pilgrims were on the Camino de Santiago, and a call was made to the “individual responsibility” of each pilgrim from the Spanish Federation of Associations of Friends of the Camino de Santiago, and many managed to return to their homes, so the hostels they closed.

But some were not so lucky, not finding a way to return to their places of origin. This is the case of several pilgrims from Italy, Great Britain, Germany, Holland and America, who traveled the Camino de la Plata as they passed through Fuenterroble de Salvatierra.

But they found a roof and heat in the parish hostel "Santa María ', in this municipality in the Guijuelo region. 16 people have been confined there for more than a month, including the diocesan priest Blas Rodríguez, who coordinates the activity of the center, as well as a couple who collaborate in the management.

Along with them there are also four students from the "La Inmaculada" School in Armenteros, whose parents have not yet been able to pick them up, "but in the coming days they will." All of them have been welcomed "from the hospitality that marks the Christian life," as Blas Rodríguez points out. "This is an example of the welcome of the Church, it welcomes anyone, of any nationality and creed," he adds, "without any conditions." This priest assures that everyone has their table set, “the fire is lit and a bed to rest”, and that among all, “we are sharing what we can, and it is the welcome with a note of Christian identity that is the hospitality".

Blas Rodríguez confirms that coexistence is proving "very rich", despite the difficulties that the diversity of languages can pose. "This a little Pentecost, speaking in different languages, we all understand each other because what matters is goodwill and the desire that everyone do their best, what they have at all times."

One of the pilgrims dedicates part of his time to one of his passions, painting.
During these days, "there is no time to get bored," he stresses, because the day begins with a thorough cleaning of the entire hostel. "There is time later for workshops and various activities, in addition to preparing meals, and even the daily prayer," says Rodríguez.

On Sundays the Eucharist is celebrated, and this has also been done during the Easter Triduum: “They have had to be celebrated internally, and it is a very rich experience, because we have had the opportunity for those who wanted to participate, to have done ”, sentence.

Silence and prayer
One of the aspects that characterize the Camino de Santiago, as this priest describes, is silence, which allows pilgrims to enjoy their experience to the fullest. And in his parish hostel there is also a moment for it, and that time of silence and the prayer that is shared “is a gift” as Blas Rodríguez describes it.

"We have been very lucky to find shelter here," says Eduardo , one of the pilgrims staying at the hostel, and who feels fortunate to have been hosted there, like the rest of the pilgrims. "I had no chance to return to my country in March, there was no way to return," he says.

He feels very sorry for not being able to be next to his family in these circumstances, especially next to his father, who is older. This Italian pilgrim was on the Camino de Santiago Mozárabe, and it was not the first time that he embarked on this adventure, "for spiritual motivation", because for him, "it is a moment of inner reflection and thinking."

This pilgrim, excitedly relates his stay in this hostel: “We organize ourselves in different rooms, I share it with another man from Madrid. We clean the place where we rest, and I collaborate in what I can, I read, I listen to music and every day we do a moment of meditation, we read the Gospel and we share it ”.

Eduardo helps Blas in the preparation of the daily prayer, something that for him is very enriching: “It is an important moment for me, in which I confront and feel closer to the path for me, where questions are asked about the Gospel, and you try to answer. "

The doors of the "Santa María 'hostel have been open for almost 25 years, offering very enriching experiences," because each pilgrim who passes by here is still a treasure, transmits very positive vibes, because he is a man with a lot of creativity, with A lot of hope, wanting to discover a new world, to seek and cultivate his inner life, then all of this is contagious ”.

For Blas Rodríguez, the greatest wealth is meeting them. "Each one is a gift, a treasure," says the local priest.

And waiting for the state of alarm to rise and they can resume their journey to embrace the Apostle Santiago, these pilgrims will continue to share shelter and food in this parish hostel.

WOW that’s an enviable experience!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, @Raggy, I'm very pleased, though not at at surprised, to read this. It confirms my recollection of the outstanding hospitality offered at the Fuenterroble Albergue.

¡Muchas gracias!
Thanks for posting, @Raggy. I had been worrying about the good folk of Fuenterroble de Salvatierra. They are often in my thoughts...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for this incredible example of what the Camino is.

04/17/2020

Silence and prayer

This is one if the gems on the VdLp.

I was one of the pilgrims arriving in the afternoon as the staff were having lunch and Don Blas personally greeted me at the door and invited me to lunch !!

An volunteer who was a trained nurse bound up my blisters for me and allowed me to rest for a couple of days!

I was very sad to leave !

Attachments

• 32825977-E46B-4E08-86CB-8746338FB419.jpeg
    32825977-E46B-4E08-86CB-8746338FB419.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 9A35E577-F1EC-40AA-8CCE-F38DB9124CB7.jpeg
    9A35E577-F1EC-40AA-8CCE-F38DB9124CB7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is a lovely, heartwarming story. Thanks so much for sharing it. Its beautiful to see such positivity in these strange and unusual times, and its also lovely for me to look back on my own night there, which was one of the many highlights during my time on the VDLP.

Thanks for posting this. . . it is sad and heartwarming at the same time :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

04/17/2020

Silence and prayer

Thank you for this storyWe stayed at same hostel in 2015 and the priest gave up his room to us .A lovely man ..The next morning he served us breakfast and we left with his blessing

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Loved this. I can't think of a better albergue to spend the lock-down. I confess that I am almost envious. Fr Blas is a legend in Spain, and all those confined with him will be enriched by the experience.
P6200615.jpeg

04/17/2020

Silence and prayer

thanks for sharing man

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

04/17/2020

Silence and prayer

The Camino definitely provided for these pilgrims.
But when I saw where it was, I was not surprised. Remember this is the albergue with Hebrews 13:2 above the door: "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would appreciate help finding the contact information to send a donation for the albergue in Fuenterroble run by Don Blas. I stayed there a couple years ago when I started the VDLP and was totally out of money when I got there, but was made warmly welcome all the same. I am in Canada, and an etransfer would work for me if possible. Can you please help with how I could do this? Thank you!

If you use Facebook, you can reach the albergue via its page:

Or via email
alberguefuenterroble@gmail.com

Or via the following website

Perhaps they can take a donation by PayPal. I find it very straightforward to use and it might incur less transaction charges than wiring the money through a bank - I am not sure about that, but it may be worth looking into.

...and done!

Thanks for the contact info—it took me a couple tries, but I think I figured it out.

Much appreciated, @Raggy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a very nice albergue.

That said, use the inside gas fired shower in the cool months. I was there last March and the solar shower was freezing.

Mucho salud a todos

I would appreciate help finding the contact information to send a donation for the albergue in Fuenterroble run by Don Blas.
I have found out the bank account for the Albergue. Send a PM to me and I will transmit it to you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fuenterroble albergue is now under quarantine -

A possible COVID-19 case has been identified - and is now in isolation. See link below for report from the Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago. (I'll paste a Google Translation after the link).

FUENTERROBLE (Salamanca). May 14, 2020
A possible positive puts the Fuenterroble shelter in quarantine

[COVID19, Hostels]

The Fuenterroble de Salvatierra Town Council, the pilgrim hostel and the local doctor have determined to establish a "strict quarantine" in the aforementioned hostel "due to the alarm that has arisen" regarding a possible positive.

This is collected by a camp made public by the Town Council and confirmed by both the mayor, Juan José Serrano, and the parish priest, Blas Rodríguez. The municipal document states that it is agreed “as a best solution for the people who live in the parish hostel to do a strict quarantine to minimize any type of contact with other people. From the City Council we want to reassure the neighbors. We have taken the necessary measures and, if necessary, we will take more. ”

During the state of alarm, the pilgrims' hostel welcomes fifteen people from very different backgrounds. They have lived there since mid-March and one of them, who arrived on the 14th of that month, is in quarantine, isolated in the so-called medical house in the parish compound. According to Father Blas Rodríguez, “everyone is in his apartment”, thus minimizing contact. Also, the quarantined person “has no symptoms, but all prevention protocols are being kept. We meet with the doctor and the mayor to take the appropriate measures because people have to be welcomed and treated in the best possible way so that things can be solved, "he stresses.

The Fuenterroble shelter has become the provisional home for fifteen people during the state of alarm. Some of them had to stay there because the state of alarm of March 16 caught them in the middle of the road. They come from Italy, the Netherlands, the United States or different parts of Spain and there they will have to wait until mobility improves.

About two months of confinement

Pilgrims staying at the hostel have been confined to their premises for the nearly two months that the alarm state has been in force. There are some who had been there for a season as hospital workers or collaborators, although some others took refuge there because the state of alarm caught them on the road and even with the return tickets for their land already acquired. The quarantine approved now will restrict the exit of the enclosure, which has a large area of corrals and a garden, although, at older ages, from the City Council it has been recalled that the residents of the town are still in Phase 0 and the limitations remain as until now. . Thus, the side states that "from the City Council we want to remember that we must all continue with the measures that we are carrying out so far. The use of masks is recommended, washing hands very well and very frequently and other hygienic measures for the common good. "

Thankyou for this update @Raggy
This is a very special place along the Vdlp .
I’m hoping it is receiving the help and support it deserves and the quarantine is clear soon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I do hope the possible positive proves to be a false alarm.

Staying at Fuenterroble was one of the high spots of my VdlP Camino. When I arrived on a hot late afternoon I was immediately given a gazpacho soup followed by a tomato salad which was so welcome after a long day alone in the sun.
Our evening meal was about twenty of us round the one refectory table, pilgrims from all parts of the world, all of us with different life experiences but brought together for the one night in our shared goal. I have to say that conversation was certainly made easier by the alcohol policy. No wine was provided by the albuerge, we were invited to buy our own in the village store. This meant that each pilgrim turned up with a whole bottle, probably not what Father Blas intended by not supplying wine.
Next morning, breakfast in silence with taped Gregorian chant in the background. An inspiring start to the day

I do hope the possible positive proves to be a false alarm.
Earlier today, I participated in a Zoom call with Isabel, who is in communication with the albergue in Fuenterroble. If I understood correctly, although one pilgrim at the albergue has tested positive for the virus, they do not have severe symptoms at this time. The pilgrim is in isolation in one of the buildings at the albergue, and the albergue itself is in quarantine to prevent further transmission.

Let's hope that the pilgrim recovers quickly and that no-one else has been infected.

In the meantime, the albergue needs some financial support, so some of us may be able to help:

Hi, the fundraising has been published in the local news.
But still the Albergue of father Blas in Fuenterroble, VdlP is not getting its goal in this fundraising.

Maybe some of you out there can help a bit? It is not an awful lot of money (or maybe it is). Well spent, anyway.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for this information. I've stayed there twice on the Camino. On the second occasion we woke to sustained rain with hail all day, so I opted to spend the day planning my trip from there to Madrid, thence a return home from Madrid airport. In the chaos of an early morning departure I was in such a hurry that I forgot to leave a donation. Imagine my embarrassment when I realised this. By then I was out of Spain so I posted a thank you card containing euros far in excess of the cost of a commercial albergue, in gratitude for the hospitality I'd received. I'll donate to them again. It's a wonderful place.

A welcome update from the Facebook page of the albergue in Fuenterroble - Everyone at the albergue has tested negative for the virus (see below).

Some days ago we were lucky enough to be selected by the Junta de Castile and León to take the COVID 19 tests by staying with us pilgrims of various nationalities and from different places in the country.
We are authentic privileged because they considered us just like sanitary and other collective.
As many of you know, because of the alarm that was generated in Fuenteroble by a possible positive among the pilgrims, some media echoed the unfortunate news without calibrating the consequences, although we were in spense of its definitive confirmation.
Today we have been given the final results of the PCR practiced to the residents of the hostel and they have given!! ALL NEGATIVE!! fortunately we can assure that we are clean of the virus and that previous analyses were wrong.
We thank you all for the concern you have transmitted to us both privately and publicly. These are difficult times when unconditional support is shown and we have received them from everywhere in the world.
Thank you thank you a thousand times thank you for being with us.
We wish you all the best. Good path and good life.

Hace algunos días tuvimos la gran suerte de ser seleccionados por la Junta de Castilla y León para hacernos las pruebas de COVID 19 al estar alojados con nosotros peregrinos de varias nacionalidades y de diferentes lugares del país.
Somos unos auténticos privilegiados porque nos consideraron igual que a sanitarios y otros colectivos.
Como muchos de vosotros sabéis, a causa de la alarma que se generó en Fuenterroble por un posible positivo entre los peregrinos, algunos medios de comunicación se hicieron eco de la desafortunada noticia sin calibrar las consecuencias, aunque estábamos a espensas de su confirmación definitiva.
Hoy nos han dado los resultados finales de los PCR practicados a los residentes del albergue y han dado !! TODOS NEGATIVOS!! afortunadamente podemos asegurar que estamos limpios del virus y que los análisis anteriores eran erróneos.
Os agradecemos a todos la preocupación que nos habéis transmitido tanto privada como públicamente. Son tiempos difíciles en los que se demuestran los apoyos incondicionales y los hemos recibido desde todas partes del mundo.
Gracias, gracias, mil veces gracias por estar con nosotros.
Os deseamos todo lo mejor. Buen camino y buena vida.

Also, happily, the fundraising page has raised €3,070 toward the goal of €5,300. Thanks to everyone who has donated so far. A few more donations are needed to get them to their goal, which will allow essential repairs to the solar hot water system and alterations to comply with the recently announced COVID 19-related regulations for albergues:

A welcome update from the Facebook page of the albergue in Fuenterroble - Everyone at the albergue has tested negative for the virus (see below).

Some days ago we were lucky enough to be selected by the Junta de Castile and León to take the COVID 19 tests by staying with us pilgrims of various nationalities and from different places in the country.
We are authentic privileged because they considered us just like sanitary and other collective.
As many of you know, because of the alarm that was generated in Fuenteroble by a possible positive among the pilgrims, some media echoed the unfortunate news without calibrating the consequences, although we were in spense of its definitive confirmation.
Today we have been given the final results of the PCR practiced to the residents of the hostel and they have given!! ALL NEGATIVE!! fortunately we can assure that we are clean of the virus and that previous analyses were wrong.
We thank you all for the concern you have transmitted to us both privately and publicly. These are difficult times when unconditional support is shown and we have received them from everywhere in the world.
Thank you thank you a thousand times thank you for being with us.
We wish you all the best. Good path and good life.

Hace algunos días tuvimos la gran suerte de ser seleccionados por la Junta de Castilla y León para hacernos las pruebas de COVID 19 al estar alojados con nosotros peregrinos de varias nacionalidades y de diferentes lugares del país.
Somos unos auténticos privilegiados porque nos consideraron igual que a sanitarios y otros colectivos.
Como muchos de vosotros sabéis, a causa de la alarma que se generó en Fuenterroble por un posible positivo entre los peregrinos, algunos medios de comunicación se hicieron eco de la desafortunada noticia sin calibrar las consecuencias, aunque estábamos a espensas de su confirmación definitiva.
Hoy nos han dado los resultados finales de los PCR practicados a los residentes del albergue y han dado !! TODOS NEGATIVOS!! afortunadamente podemos asegurar que estamos limpios del virus y que los análisis anteriores eran erróneos.
Os agradecemos a todos la preocupación que nos habéis transmitido tanto privada como públicamente. Son tiempos difíciles en los que se demuestran los apoyos incondicionales y los hemos recibido desde todas partes del mundo.
Gracias, gracias, mil veces gracias por estar con nosotros.
Os deseamos todo lo mejor. Buen camino y buena vida.

Also, happily, the fundraising page has raised €3,070 toward the goal of €5,300. Thanks to everyone who has donated so far. A few more donations are needed to get them to their goal, which will allow essential repairs to the solar hot water system and alterations to comply with the recently announced COVID 19-related regulations for albergues:

Wonderful, wonderful!! Continued good health to all of you! 💕

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last edited:
The Camino definitely provided for these pilgrims.
But when I saw where it was, I was not surprised. Remember this is the albergue with Hebrews 13:2 above the door: "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

the Irish also have a saying : "Often! Often! cries the lark, goes the Christ in the stranger's guise". Good words for all times, not just the hard ones.

samarkand.

04/17/2020

Silence and prayer

Truly, what a gift. Which, challenges often are. I pray we may be as lucky in whatever reality we are experiencing

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This warms my heart to think of the effort and sacrifice made to accommodate pilgrims, and make their journey even more special. Very special Camino angels!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.