• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fuenterroble

peregrina2000

Staff member
I slept in Fuenterroble last night. It’s a very special place, and I was surprised and happy to see that one of the hospitaleras was a woman who had been my hospitalera in Miraz 12 years ago and in Rabanal a few years after that. How crazy is that?

It was a very cold day and night (low of 1, 0, or -1 depending on whose phone was consulted),but I was in the room with a wood burning stove so it was toasty.

Most everyone was in bed by 9, since it was cold and breakfast is at 6:30. At about 1am, a man burst into the room, ranting in Spanish (“aquí mando yo”, “fuera con la mochila,” and a lot of things I can’t write). My bed was the closest to the door and I was a bit unnerved. This went on for what seemed to me to be an eternity, but finally a Japanese Peregrino jumped out of bed, did some fancy martial arts moves, and yelled loudly in Japanese. The guy left, but continued his rant in the courtyard. He came back seversl more times, but as soon as he crossed the threshold, some peregrinos jumped up and got him out. This went on till 5 am. Not exactly a restful night.

The hospitalero felt terrible but explained that Padre Blas has given this guy shelter in the Albergue. He is obviously a very sad character (as I was lying awake between rants I thought many times that this guy was once a baby whose mother held him in her arms, how sad she would be to see this).

No one was mad this morning—oh we are such good pilgrims—but it’s obviously not a situation that can continue indefinitely if Padre Blas wants the albergue to continue to be the place to go in Fuenterroble.

Ps. There are phone numbers painted on the walls for private rooms as you go into town, and I have met several people today who were very happy with them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is a sad story. The albergue there is such a beacon for the Plata, and I've been placed next to Don Blas a couple of times at dinner and enjoyed his company very much. Twice I've slept alone in the "Casa de los Americanos" annex, cold but quiet, but once when I was in the room with the wood burner there was a fellow guest who was clearly not a pilgrim (he had a car) and whose personal habits were ... - well it's difficult to put it politely, so I won't.

One time I bumped into a nice French peregrina who invited me to breakfast in the casa rural she was staying in just off the main drag. It was immaculate, and had a wonderful coffee machine and wasn't that expensive. I still think I'd rather stay in the albergue for its unique atmosphere, but possibly not if I encounter your experience or my fellow guest again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gosh, Father Blas' generosity and hospitality can have this side too, sorry to hear this, Laurie, I would have been quite scared myself in a case like that! I hope they sort out that situation, it sounds like some mental case probably, that man needs help!

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back