• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Full albergues every day

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Since we started our walk 7 days ago, the albergues have put up 'completo' signs early every afternoon. Its not only those starting from Sarria that have found albergues full. Pilgrims report that even further back they have had to walk long distances to find beds. A young couple told us that on the mesetathey had to walk nearly 40km one day, in snow and driving rain, as one after the other albergue told them that they were full.
One pension owner in Portomarin told me that he had spent the afternoon phoning neighbouring villages for rooms for tired pilgrims. If you can afford the private albegues, rather book your beds ahead but remember that most places will only keep your bed until a certain time and if you dont arrive, they will give it away.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Any idea what is the reason for the completo on the albergues. Is it because of the weather? Or is it because there are too many peregrinos stopping in the same stages instead of using other alternatives between stages? Or is it for any other unexplained reasons?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for the advice. We are leaving the USA tomorrow and plan to start walking from San Jean on May 30th. Any other advice would be very welcome. Buen Camino

I live in an "in between" town on the meseta. All the albergues in the area are completo, and have been for several days. Almost nobody has showed up at my door, however. Maybe they are not being told, maybe they don´t know to ask if someone in town has pilgrim accommodation.

I haven´t seen anyone sleeping on the church porch, though. So it can´t be that bad. (and that won´t kill you, even if it does happen!)

The day before we left Santiago to go to Sarria the people in the pilgrim office were told that 800 people had passed through Roncesvalles that day. That was on the 11th May. Some had to walk on as there were no beds left.
I stayed at all the in-between places on my rdcce walk from Sarria to Santiago the week before last. Babadelo , Vilacha, ventas de Naron, San Xulian, Castaneda and Rua. I was glad that I'd booked ahead because the albergues and some of the Casas were all full. We will arrive in Santiago a day earlier than planned and we got the last pilgrim rooms inthe Hospederia San Martin for the 29th May.
My advice would be to plan your daily stages and try to book beds ahead wherever possible. It takes the anxiety out of your walk and allows you to walk slowly, stop for as long and as often as you want to and if there are days you don't want to carry a full pack, you can send it ahead.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From what I have seen with this Forum it all depends where you are staying.

For myself, having a plan would not allow me to retreat from everyday life. I live a very structured lifestyle and to get away from that for this journey I cannot have a plan set in stone. Besides, it gets too stressful having to plan every little detail. Esp because some things most likely will not go your way.

I plan on walking however long my body tells me. If there is no vacancy in town, so be it! It would not be the first time I slept under the stars! At least for this time I will have a sleeping bag!:lol:

I get the impression that most of the people who stay in full albergues have them booked in advance. It's not great news hearing this as it does take away some of the 'here and now' experience of the camino. I don't think I could bring myself to book in advance and if I have to sleep in a church or where ever, ill do that instead of book

"In advance" can be a day or a few hours before arrival, calling the albergue around lunch time.
I partly do it when it is a village with a very limited number of beds. Or when I want to walk on, a bit over my comfortable distance.

I think reserving days before is nonsense. You can't be sure where you will end up on a specific day ...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all, here now, in Villafranco Montes de Oca, after being on the Camino between SJPP and here for the past month. Times are a-changing on the Camino. Nearly everyone is carrying a smartphone or I-something, and many people are booking ahead.

Pilgrims are seeking out WiFi like pilgrims-of-old sought out a bar for a mid-day cafe con leche. It's now common to see a circle of pilgrims, devices in hand, hovering in the lobbies of albergues looking up their next destination. And those who don't have a device are racing all that much faster to get to the next day's sleep stop.

Being a serial pilgrim (since 2005), and a low-tech one at that, I have some strong opinions about this, but I am trying to keep them to myself.

The other thing that's happening is that many pilgrims are adhering - strictly - to the stages in their guidebooks. That means they are missing some fantastic albergues - Granon, Viloria de Rioja, Moratinos, Hospital San Nicholas, to name just a few. But then us low-tech folks can get a bed in those places!

Last night I slept at the fabulous Albergue Acacio y Orietta in Viloria, and my host told me that it's now common for pilgrims to rush past, without stopping for a chat, because they 'don't have time' to talk. Oh dear.

Thoughts?

PS Both albergues in Villafranca Montes de Oca were full today when I arrived at 4:30pm, so I had to upgrade to a private room at El Pajaro. I'm not really that upset about it...

Booking in advance is unfortunate- I agree with ZacM that with our structured life, it would be good to live in the here and now. I'll be on my first Camino in 24 days and have booked the first night to allow a transition after overseas travel but following that would like to enjoy the walk, thoughts and meetings. I will not carry communication devices so I will let the road provide for me! Buen Camino!

Moloch be praised!! If the ever-connected are following their formatted guides then I have both faith and certainty that I will find a bed where I want it rather than where the "guru" sent them :D :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
PS. It's a bit like Tripadvisor... Choose a destination, check available accommodation. Check Tripadvisor. Go somewhere that isn't even listed. It may be dreadful but at least it will be an adventure :lol:

You can control how far you walk each day, but you cannot control finding a bed. Make your own choices, but live with them without complaining! After all, you made them. Controlling the world around you is not likely going to happen. Without a time machine you will not be bringing back the old days. One lesson available on the Camino is how little you control!

Of course, you could write a book on controlling the Camino...

What I am planning to do is take an Ultra Light tent and stealth camping when the weather and my inclination let me, or to avoid the snorers or if there is a beg bug question etc.. But I also think I may take a ½ rest day and get into the middle of the standard stages so I am not fighting the crowds. Say, if using the Brierley stages, stopping at Zubiri out of Roncesvalles on my 3rd day instead of going all the way to Villava. I hope that this will let me take my time to stop and smell the roses as I can then pass by the “Stage Stops,” get up a bit later, walk at my own pace, or go a bit further and just not fight the crowds.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I don't think there'll be too much of a problem.
I intend to start walking at around 5.30 and arrive at the day's destination at around 12. That's plenty of walking time and a nice hour to arrive at a destination. May call an albergue a day in advance when I'm on the odd longer stage covering more than 24 kms.

Tincatinker said:
Moloch be praised!! If the ever-connected are following their formatted guides then I have both faith and certainty that I will find a bed where I want it rather than where the "guru" sent them :D :D

I'm starting to think I should bring/memorize the Brierley guide just so that I can avoid everywhere he tells us to stop!!!

I, too, am not interested in booking in advance. I hope I will have the courage to step away from my usual routine of planning, booking, checking, and controlling to let the camino take me where it will.

Hope to commune with some fellow seat-of-the-pants pilgrims on the way! Who knows...perhaps we'll meet on some church steps! :)

antepacem said:
Tincatinker said:
I'm starting to think I should bring/memorize the Brierley guide just so that I can avoid everywhere he tells us to stop!!! ...

The idea in itself is good, but you should also memorize the stages in the guides of other languages like Spanish, French and German. Perhaps we could compile a list of "typical stages to avoid" here on the forum? The other point / tip would be to stay in albergues that are "not recommended" or recommended by have only a few beds (people are afraid to stay there because they only have a few beds and so they often have ... free beds). Buen Camino! SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
piogaw said:
Any idea what is the reason for the completo on the albergues?

It's because each year, more and more and more pilgrims are found on the Camino, so that existing infrastructures are under constant pressure.

Hi,

I think the explanation of this situation is linked to the fact that, because the bad weather, some pilgrims -- who intended to start in April -- have postponed their departure ...?

In April 2013, only 11533 pilgrims arrived in Santiago ; there were 14751 in 2012 !

Théo

I assume this only applies to the Frances. There are many different Camino's to walk (Norte, VdlP, Primitivo, Madrid, Levante, Portugues, Salvador, Vasco etc.) Maybe some of these other less traveled routes will get some love.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I couldn't get a place in a hostal or hotel last year in Castrojerez, I ended up in a 'Casa Rural'.
It cost 30 euro, but I was just glad to be in off the street. So if you are unlucky, ask if there is a casa rural in the area. (Similar to Bed and Breakfast).
Buen Camino :)

Hi my fellow camino walkers,
we have been on the camino for 8 days and have been leaving at daylight everyday. It is getting more full and busy the farther we go. We arrived at Najera after having walked extra to get more beds, 18.5 miles and all the places were nearly full. Barely got beds. Everyone seems to be booking ahead now, even in the smaller in between places because even the big towns are full. We wanted to be flexible on our walk but it is getting difficult with every place being full. We are trying more small towns from here on out to try and avoid crowds. Don´t know why everywhere is so busy and so many people. Hope you all find your own places on the camino.
Nikki

@Nikki

Sheesh, that doesn't sound too good. I start on Sunday in Logrono and I hope it calms down. Doubt it though. Najera has 4 albergues from what I am aware of.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We just finished our walk from Leon to Santiago on the 16th of May. We were always finished with our walk by 2PM and never had any trouble finding a place to sleep. Some of the places we stayed were Astorga, Poncebadon, Ponferrada,O Cebreiro, Rabanal, Portomarin and Sarria.

I plan my days like NoQ, I start before 6am and generally call it quits around noon depending on the weather. That usually guarantees my back pack is sitting close to the front of the queue at the albergues every day. Am I hearing that pilgrims making these advanced reservations has changed that protocol? :( :(

When people keep saying about booking ahead do they mean the private hostels? I didn't think that you could book the pilgrim albergue. I don't want to book ahead but now reading all these posts I'm getting worried. Thanks

I will starting my Camino in mid July in SJPP; I do not plan to book ahead as it seems to be contrary to the goals and the point of the Camino. I an planning on deciding how far I go each day. My "real life" is full of stress, planning & deadlines. Hopefully I will find a place to sleep, however I am not going to spend my time worrying or ove- planning.

Clare F said:
When people keep saying about booking ahead do they mean the private hostels? I didn't think that you could book the pilgrim albergue. I don't want to book ahead but now reading all these posts I'm getting worried. Thanks

If the albergues are parish, municipal, network, xunta etc, they don't take any reservations. I used to phone them just to ask how many beds are still available. Private albergues do take reservations but only to certain hour. If you're not there by that hour, that's your problem.

For me it's so weird to read these posts, because I was always the last one to leave the albergue in the morning and I came in even at 5PM and never had problems finding a bed. But that was in 2011. So sad in a way to hear that now it is a problem. I was always mad at pilgrims packing up at 4AM and was laughing at them at noon when they were waiting in front of albergues to open.

I could never understand that. They were sleeping the whole afternoon, missing the day, the sun, and in the night they were so full of sleep everything was bothering them. If they'd came in the afternoon no snorer would disturb their sleep in the night. I guess. But maybe I'm weird :lol:

Ultreia!

If the albergues are parish, municipal, network, xunta etc, they don't take any reservations. I used to phone them just to ask how many beds are still available. Private albergues do take reservations but only to certain hour. If you're not there by that hour, that's your problem.

For me it's so weird to read these posts, because I was always the last one to leave the albergue in the morning and I came in even at 5PM and never had problems finding a bed. But that was in 2011. So sad in a way to hear that now it is a problem. I was always mad at pilgrims packing up at 4AM and was laughing at them at noon when they were waiting in front of albergues to open.

I could never understand that. They were sleeping the whole afternoon, missing the day, the sun, and in the night they were so full of sleep everything was bothering them. If they'd came in the afternoon no snorer would disturb their sleep in the night. I guess. But maybe I'm weird :lol:

Ultreia![/quote]
I guess I'm weird too! We are always the last to leave an Albergue ( Hospitaleros nightmare getting everyone out by 8 am) we walk slowly and usually arrive where we would like to stop by about 2 to 3 pm., But sometimes as late as 5 p.m On only one occasion, have we had to continue another 8 Kms, due to the early seasonal closing of the albergue where thought to stop. Another time, we walked from Roncesvalles to Melide always sleeping in Albergues, before we found no room at the inn ( this time due to the remodellation of the albergue). I must admit that very occasionally, we call ahead to find out what the situation is, should we consider carrying on walking a couple more hours. Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is a mystery to me , I was on camino April 18th to may 18th 2013, sjpdep to sarria, not once did full sign go up, upper bunks not used most nights as plenty of beds available, very few people on maseta, too cold and windy for most, buses full every day, and no problem getting compostela in pilgrims office, although I did not walk last 100 km, did same 2011 and 2012. Just looked at all the sello (stamps) on my pilgrim passport, I have my 3 compostela to prove it, by the way the sarria to Santiago not good, too many tourists, my view, i did walk it in 2008 2009, now I get on camino finnisteerra/ muxia Buen camino and now back to planning next adventure, Lourdes to puente la reina end of June, 6 weeks away.buen camino

Anna Kappa.......So glad to hear, we are walking the Primitivo in September and are never, ever going to be the first ones out, will almost always be the last ones, will come in late (like you).............so again, good to know that it will all be OK........though having traveled for many years, I pretty well knew this ( just never have walked the Camino before)

Buen Camino!

May was the most popular month last year for people starting in May.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Again I had no problem getting a bed today in the parochial in Viana.
But I start at daylight and am in by 1 pm generally.

Casa de la Abuela was completo by 2 pm yesterday. However he held back 2 beds and after telling many pilgrims he was full, gave those two beds to two very late exhausted pilgs who had walked with packs over 30 k.

I'm posting photos of the albergues if you want to follow me at http://www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com

I usually do the same. Up at daylight and I like to finish at 12-1 or later if I walk a 30+ day. The only problem I had last yr was at Triacastela where all albergues were full and I stayed in a pension.and I went as the same time last yr.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry NQ i was in a hurry ,

Last year 2012, saw the pilgrims in St.JPDP during the month of ***May exceeding all other months.

Buen Camino my friend

Thornley said:
Sorry NQ i was in a hurry ,

Last year 2012, saw the pilgrims in St.JPDP during the month of ***May exceeding all other months.

Buen Camino my friend

Please don't apologise; it gave me a genuine chuckle :D The real meaning was clear too.

Rebekah Scott said:
I live in an "in between" town on the meseta. All the albergues in the area are completo, and have been for several days. Almost nobody has showed up at my door, however. Maybe they are not being told, maybe they don´t know to ask if someone in town has pilgrim accommodation.

I haven´t seen anyone sleeping on the church porch, though. So it can´t be that bad. (and that won´t kill you, even if it does happen!)

Hey Rebekah, one of my big regrets of my recent Camino was not stopping in to stay at your place, and meet you!

Bill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
ZacM said:
From what I have seen with this Forum it all depends where you are staying.

For myself, having a plan would not allow me to retreat from everyday life. I live a very structured lifestyle and to get away from that for this journey I cannot have a plan set in stone. Besides, it gets too stressful having to plan every little detail. Esp because some things most likely will not go your way.

I plan on walking however long my body tells me. If there is no vacancy in town, so be it! It would not be the first time I slept under the stars! At least for this time I will have a sleeping bag!:lol:

What a great attitude!

Bravo!

Bill

I recently saw a pilgrim asleep in an ATM (Autobank) booth. The ones where you need to swipe a credit card to enter.

He was lying on the floor tucked up in his sleeping bag, out of the elements. Sleeping under a cash dispensing machine isn't exactly a church porch, but hey... he was warm!

SYates said:
The other point / tip would be to stay in albergues that are "not recommended" or recommended by have only a few beds (people are afraid to stay there because they only have a few beds and so they often have ... free beds).

That did seem to be true of some of the alternate routes I took. Some people told me they didn't take the alternates because they were worried there wasn't as much lodging along that route, then the beds that were there were half empty!

But if you start promoting that fact, they'll be just as full and the suggestion will become worthless. It's kind of a catch 22.

I think The Way has caused the number of people hiking the Camino to skyrocket, and the accommodations haven't been able to keep up. Eventually the two will even out. Until then... *shrug* Lodging may be difficult....

But there's one, easy and completely sure-fire way to avoid the crowds: Walk in the winter! Practically nobody hikes the Camino in January! =)

Otherwise, camping is also a great option. That's what I did and I absolutely loved it. There's always space under the stars, and the view is fabulous! =)

-- Ryan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

I wrote :

"I think the explanation of this situation is linked to the fact that, because the bad weather, some pilgrims -- who intended to start in April -- have postponed their departure ...?
In April 2013, only 11533 pilgrims arrived in Santiago ; there were 14751 in 2012 !
"

I was right ?

In May 2012, only 21775 pilgrims arrived in Santiago ; there were 25206 in last month !

Théo

I have been on the north route for the past 8 days. beautiful but challenging terrain and rain everyday. no problems getting a bed, but longer walking distance due to fewer accommodations.
I was considering dropping down to complete my walk in the French route because off the nonstop rain, however racing to get a bed sounds less appealing then the rain. what's the weather been like?

Hi Jude,
Where are u on the Norte? I arrived in Bilbao yesterday and have decided to stay an extra night to dry out a bit :)

Is the trail just as muddy after Bilbao?
Thanks!
Bobbie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hi Bobbie
I am in Santender. knee injury forced me to stay put. leaving here 11th. have had rain all but 2 days. I love the route but am considering dropping down to Burgos to pick up French route if weather looks better a bit south.
your trek going well? the terrain was spectacular San Sebastián to zarautz but mud, rain, steep ascents and descents, and strong winds made it a bit treacherous I thought. you ok?

bobbie
am dropping down to Burgos tomorrow to pick up French route. very few alberques and pilgrims and difficult conditions. I will walk the French route and return to complete the northern route another time.
Buen camino and let me know how you are doing

Hi Jude,

Just checked the forum for the Fest time in a while. Hope Camino Frances is going well for u. I locked the CF... The weather, Albergues, food and Pilgrims were all fantastic.

I am now right outside of Llanes so I think half way finished! The Camino Norte has been very hard with the brutal rain and so much road walking. But still the sea has been so lovely and I even spent a day at the beach on Comillas with perfect weather.

I have also been lucky to find a small group of wonderful pilgrims. I have learned that so many people break up the Norte into just a few weeks at a time so have already said goodbye to many pilgrims, so sad but then u meet a few new ones.

Buen Camino Jude and let me know how you are doing with the CP.

Bobbie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry for all the typos! Hands are cold and eyes weary :)

Hi Folks,
I walked the Camino last Sept from SJPP to Fromista before the knees gave out ( In hindsight I should have tossed that guidebook and gone at my own pace)
Could someone on the Camino Frances give us an update to this original post. How is it "out there"? Crowded? Albergues full? Hot!?
Thanks so much,
George

Keep going Sedona , its beautiful
Follow the E9 whenever possible , there are some beautiful spots coming,
Buen Camino.
David

The 100 beds in Puente de la Reina's albergue were full by mid-afternoon. Jakue then filled, but late arrivals found space in Santiago Apostol up the hill after the bridge. They all headed for Estella this morning. The biggest problem was the kitchen and the toilets.

Hi Sillydoll,
My name is Hilary and over the years I have asked you several questions and have appreciated your responses.
I caught the camino bug in 2005 when I had persuaded my friend who was going through chemotherapy that a great place for us to walk when she got stronger would be the camino de santiago. We walked from Sarria to Santiago the following year and raised nearly £2000 for cancer research by doing this.
I raved about the experience so much that my husband and I came back and walked 3 sections during the next 3 years.
I am leaving my job as a physiotherapist next year and before starting on a new career would like to walk the whole of the camino in one go, before I start finding a new job.
Having read some of the recent blogs I am concerned about some of the albergues being full and also am confused as another recent blog I read ( amtrekker) said he(?) was the only person in the albergue.
I was aiming to take early retirement from my current post in April 2014. I will be walkng alone and do not want to be climbing up to Roncesvalles in the snow and do not want to be by myself in albergues, nor walking 40 kms to find a vacant bed.
My husband and I usually walked in September, but Joan and I had a great time in May.
I cannot ask any prospective employers to allow me leave of absence for 5 weeks. My current employer refused and that is why I have completed 4 seperate sections of the camino.
I also need to be safe!
What are your thoughts about this, please?
I could delay my retirement till the end of April, so that I am walking in May/June, but am not used to heat( I am Scottish!), so don't want it to be June/July, or at a push could delay retiring and return to the camino in Sept.
I would like to think I will meet as many terrific people as I have in the past ( I had a former pilgrim stay with me at home, later on that year, and visited a frien d in Denmark when I was over there).
Is mid april a good time to start the camino from St Jean?
Looking forward to your reply,
Hilary

The Wave Theory of camino-ing is setting in these days.
According to our local albergues, it´s three days of almost capacity, then days of only three or four pilgrims. If you are experiencing an overwhelming number of fellow pilgrims, just stay put for a day or two and let the wave pass you by. (Or somehow skip ahead a day or two.) If you can stay between the waves, you´re in fine shape!

I just arrived home. Left St Jean on 24th May through the snow in the Pyrennes and kind of strolled my way through the Camino avoiding leaving too early as it was cold. Never had any problems finding a bed. In fact I would have said there was a severe oversupply of Albergues this year, as many new ones seem to have appeared. Many times I arrived in towns around 4.00 or 5.00 pm and there were always plenty of rooms except for in Hornillos del Camino (although I did get a bed, some after me didn't or rather chose not to stay in the sports hall). Even the last 100 kms where there was a noticeable increase in walkers, I never experienced any problems getting a bed nor did I hear of any problems. I think one of the reasons is many follow the John Brierley guide like its set in stone - the quest to reach "the end of the page" no matter what. In my opinion the smaller towns and albergues before and after the stages have a bit of an oversupply of beds so are probably less likely to be full. Many nights I slept in half empty rooms. Hope this helps.

Hey Rebekah, one of my big regrets of my recent Camino was not stopping in to stay at your place, and meet you!

Bill[/quote]

Hi Rebekah, I read your book the Moorish Whore - loved it, great read. Knew you lived on the Camino, but no idea where. Just happened to stay in an Albergue in your town and after walking around, asked the owner who lived in "The Peaceable Kingdom". How surprised I was to find it was you. Love the name. Incidentally, the huge hotel type albergue was closed and the small one had only nine people - that was heading for the middle of June. Found those sort of numbers all along the way.

Any recommendations for an Albergue or Hostel in Santiago appreciated! Just got off the Norte onto the Frances and wow! Huge crowds as expected much more than last October.

Thanks
Bobbie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bobbie,

A VERY good stop in Santiago is the pilgrim albergue floor of the recently renovated Hospedario San Martin Pinario; the building faces the north side of the cathedral.

I stayed here twice in simple pilgrim rooms, which are converted seminarian cells, in December 2011 and 2012 and found it comfortable and most convenient.

Most pilgrim rooms are singles with private toilet and shower at 23 Euros including a copious buffet breakfast; there are some cheaper multi-bed rooms. You can email your query for space to this address >> reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu. The telephone is (+34) 981 560 282. Do NOT use their on-line booking form which is only for more expensive and more elegant tourist accommodation on the other floors as shown here >> http://www.sanmartinpinario.eu/.

You can arrive at any time since they are open 24/7, the obliging desk staff are multi-lingual, WiFi is free, there are multiple public spaces for casual conversation and the restaurant (open to all) serves a very good 3 course lunch or dinner with wine for only 12 Euros. Perfect!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last fall San Martín Pinaro told me they did not take reservations for pilgrim rooms. If that was accurate even then, it is not accurate now! They are fully booked for a week, but they do have hotel rooms available at a standard Santiago hotel rate.

A new albergue, The Last Stamp, has beds according to bookings.com. It is near Casa Manolo, which has business cards for it.

Thank you! I was in good luck and called them directly. Secured a single private room with breakfast for $23 euros!

I know this will be a lovely way to end my Camino Norte. I have loved every went of the Norte but I will admit the weather and road walking has worn me out :)

Buen Camino
Bobbie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sedona2012 said:
Any recommendations for an Albergue or Hostel in Santiago appreciated! Just got off the Norte onto the Frances and wow! Huge crowds as expected much more than last October.

Thanks
Bobbie
Just sent you a PM. It might be useful if you want extra time in Santiago. The other posts went up while I was looking up a phone number :)

ZacM said:

---I'm in complete agreement. If I had to plan this trip, or know where I was going to sleep and when, then I would not want to go. Magpie, late Sept-Oct. 2013

Hi all, here now, in Villafranco Montes de Oca, after being on the Camino between SJPP and here for the past month. Times are a-changing on the Camino. Nearly everyone is carrying a smartphone or I-something, and many people are booking ahead.

Pilgrims are seeking out WiFi like pilgrims-of-old sought out a bar for a mid-day cafe con leche. It's now common to see a circle of pilgrims, devices in hand, hovering in the lobbies of albergues looking up their next destination. And those who don't have a device are racing all that much faster to get to the next day's sleep stop.

Being a serial pilgrim (since 2005), and a low-tech one at that, I have some strong opinions about this, but I am trying to keep them to myself.

The other thing that's happening is that many pilgrims are adhering - strictly - to the stages in their guidebooks. That means they are missing some fantastic albergues - Granon, Viloria de Rioja, Moratinos, Hospital San Nicholas, to name just a few. But then us low-tech folks can get a bed in those places!

Last night I slept at the fabulous Albergue Acacio y Orietta in Viloria, and my host told me that it's now common for pilgrims to rush past, without stopping for a chat, because they 'don't have time' to talk. Oh dear.

Thoughts?

PS Both albergues in Villafranca Montes de Oca were full today when I arrived at 4:30pm, so I had to upgrade to a private room at El Pajaro. I'm not really that upset about it...

Save the electronic devices for an emergency. Enjoy the Camino-buy a small tent. There is no need to rush. Are we not on the Camino to get away from this very thing??

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What I am planning to do is take an Ultra Light tent and stealth camping when the weather and my inclination let me, or to avoid the snorers or if there is a beg bug question etc.

Me, too. This really seems like the wisest course of action.

I, for one is going to go with the FLOW...I will let you know what happens...whatever happens, happens. And I know it will BE GREAT!!!! If not, it will all happen for a reason. ...lol...maybe reason being no pre-booking..kidding.
Buen Camino,
Cindi

Perhaps we are getting closer to what it was like for pilgrims in the hey-days of the middle ages! Documented numbers of pilgrims, and of hospices built to house them, provide some evidence of the popularity Santiago in the golden age of pilgrimage.
A register dating 1594 at the hospice at Villafranca de Montes de Oca recorded 16,767 pilgrims that year, over 200 on some days.
The town with the highest number of shelters was Burgos which in the 15th-c boasted 32 hospices, and even as pilgrimage declined, still supported 25 into the late 1700’s.
Astorga had 21, Carrion de los Condes had 14 and at one time there were 7 in Castrojeriz. Even small villages like Obanos and Viana had several pilgrim shelters.
Towns that had several or many hospices include Pamplona (at least 6), Obanos, Estella (about 11), Logrono, Najera, Sahagun (4 in the late 15th-c), Puente de Villarente, Leon (many), Portomarin and Santiago.
More info here: http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2008/10/back-to-past.html

Bill

Hi Rebekah, I read your book the Moorish Whore - loved it, great read. Knew you lived on the Camino, but no idea where. Just happened to stay in an Albergue in your town and after walking around, asked the owner who lived in "The Peaceable Kingdom". How surprised I was to find it was you. Love the name. Incidentally, the huge hotel type albergue was closed and the small one had only nine people - that was heading for the middle of June. Found those sort of numbers all along the way.[/quote]
Hi Anna111 - I believe I might have met you at Albergue San Bruno while you were there - I was helping Bruno out before heading to Santiago for two weeks of Hospitalera at the albergue fin del Camino! I knnow I spoke about Rebekah to several people when talking about Moratinos! I so enjoyed meeting so many pilgrims at the albergues, and I hope that more experienced pilgrims decide to become hospitaleros/ras! It is a great experience!

I read this in a blog for one of the local hostels in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port which is where I am starting and hoping to go back to after my walk. It was brilliant and thought I would share what they said about finding a place to stay along the way when everything seems full. Here is the link.

http://www.ultreia64.fr/en/full-cottage/

Bottom line is to be flexible and understand that there are lots of options...and remember God will always open another door when one appears to be closed.

Pattii

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Booking in advance is unfortunate- I agree with ZacM that with our structured life, it would be good to live in the here and now. I'll be on my first Camino in 24 days and have booked the first night to allow a transition after overseas travel but following that would like to enjoy the walk, thoughts and meetings. I will not carry communication devices so I will let the road provide for me! Buen Camino!

I feel the same. I am doing research now to know more about the country and the stops along the way...ALLL stops not just the ones that seem to come with the so called allotted walking distances. It seems to me there are plenty of places one could opt for if they were not in such a rush to finish. I think that people should leave their day timers schedules and appointment books at home...stop living at a pace where rushing is the norm. It is not a race. The whole idea of a pilgrimage is to be a pilgrim. I don't ever remember a story about any pilgrim who had GPS or reservations for when they arrived at the scheduled distance. Most pligrims travelled without even having maps...drawing them as they went!

Fear is a mind killer. Don't let anxiety about where you are going to stay keep you from enjoying the adventure and the excitement of discovering whats around the next corner. Leave room for serendipity and for God or the Universe or who ever your higher power is to guide you and give you what you need. "Seek and you shall find. Ask and it shall be given to you. Knock and the door will be opened for you. AMEN

Several commentors in this thread have touched on the actual reasons for alburgues and hostals being full. Taken together, these phenomena depict queue theory in practice. If the group of people behave according to their programming (the Brierley guide) a certain practice will emerge. However, if the number of people seeking a resource (beds) reaches a critical mass, all available resources (beds) will simply be exhausted. Moreover, it does not matter how someone consumes the resource (advance booking via the web, phone call ahead, using a "rabbit" to jump ahead to reserve beds, or simply arriving first), when the resource is fully subscribed the "completo" signs go up. It is that simple.

Based on my background, reading and observations, here are several valid suggestions for countering these phenomena:

1. Most pilgrims start from one of the cities or traditional starting places on a Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, depending on how long they have to spend on their pilgrimage, or on this segment of their pilgrimage. This is especially true of European pilgrims who can fly short distances or take trains to get to a starting place easily. As a result, many of them tend to do the Camino (at least the Frances) in stages. In either event, this departure pattern this creates a "wave" of people heading down "the Way." The mix changes the farther you get down the Camino Frances, as people enter the flow and wave pattern from different cities along the way: Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Sarria, etc. Each time you arrive at one of these transportation nodes, from where "knots" of additional pilgrims will start or end their pilgrimage, you need to adjust your assessment of the coming several days. You need to think ahead to avoid being caught at the crest of that wave, competing for scare beds.

Your desired place is between the waves. This not only helps improve your chances of finding a place to sleep, but increases the chance of some private time while walking as there are a lot fewer people between the waves than at the top of the wave. So, if you are starting in Roncesvalles on a Saturday, you know that wave will hit Pamplona on Sunday evening. Plan accordingly.

Another example; if you arrive in Leon on a Friday, assume that there will be waves of people leaving Leon on Saturday, and Sunday, and a smaller wave on Monday. So, before reaching Leon, you might adjust your daily distances and stopping places so you arrive in Leon on a Sunday or a Monday.

You may need to stagger your departure times or even remain an additional day in an interesting place, or change your anticipated arrival times to avoid encountering these waves. I know, it means planning ahead, and I know this frazzles some folks; but it really only takes a few moments of brain time whilst walking. It is a "what-if" puzzle. If you look at it as a sort of game or mind puzzle it actually helps clear your mind of other less worthy thoughts.

2. Assuming that about half the pilgrims out there are carrying the 303 gm / 10.7 oz Brierley guide (dang that too heavy - it needs to be an e-book - like yesterday), which was my observation, slightly more than half of the pilgrims out there will likely attempt staying at his recommended daily end points. As has been repeatedly stressed here and elsewhere, try to stay in the alburgue or hostal just before or just after the recommended daily stopping point in the Brierley book.

I personally recommend walking the additional distance and pushing to places AFTER the recommended stop if possible and reasonable given known factors (health, weather, light, endurance). This should counter the practice of people getting up before the rooster to rush down the path to the next available bed. That is annoying but will only get worse as more people walk the Camino.

3. I respectfully disagree with folks who argue against people using technology to book ahead. Remember, everyone does their own Camino. It is not for me to judge how they choose to accomplish this. I do not fully understand their circumstances or their "back story." Besides, not everyone can live in a world dominated by chaos theory... ;-)

Moreover, as there is absolutely no way to prevent people from using a mobile or the web to make a down trail reservation, we might as well learn to live with it. Thus, I recommend, and have done, making advance reservations whenever it seems appropriate or necessary, based on your individual circumstances.

As has been recommended by many others, staying in a mix of alburgues and hostals may be the best idea. I actually stayed in a 4-star hotel in Burgos for three days because I had to arrange medical treatment for an urgent problem and had to find hotel desk personnel who spoke fluent English to do this. A 4-star hotel, while very expensive will do that every time. It all worked out well for me. But no two pilgrims have the same needs.​

Finally (whew - yes I know I am long winded), we must consider that the Camino Frances has a maximum carrying capacity. There is a complicated way of expressing this mathematically. However, the short version is simple. At some point the capacity of the existing Camino Frances infrastructure to house pilgrims seeking beds will be saturated and over subscribed, despite reasonable adjustments.

I suggest, based on all the available data that, at certain times of the year this is already occurring. In the short term, suggestions like those above will help. However, long term, only additional beds, or metering the flow (logistically very difficult to impossible but technically possible) to only a certain number of persons per time period as is done is some very popular national parks here in the U.S. Personally, favor the more beds solution.

The technical solution is to provide a numbered - time limited Camino "visa" in the credential (pilgrim passport) of only those people who obtain same at a specifically designated location; i.e. the Pilgrim Office in St. Jean, or the comparable place that starting pilgrims must "touch base" at in Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Logrono, Leon, Burgos, Astorga, etc. Unfortunately, to administer such a program the process of granting these Camino visas either needs to be automated on the web, or limited to one location per city. The result is that to obtain a bed, you would have to present four things when you ask for a bed or room: your national ID or passport, a credential containing the Camino Visa (trail license), your person, and the necessary fee. I do not see this ever happening, but it IS doable.

But, given the state of the Spanish economy I doubt the nation, region, or provinces will invest the funds needed to expand the alburgue system. Private investment, even on a non-profit basis, would seem an appropriate solution. On paper it is viable. However, the high unemployment rate and local permitting processes for foreign investment, even in a worthwhile tourist generating venture such as this, is daunting to say the least. I have thought of it many times since doing my first Camino this year. The business model certainly works. It is the political model that is problematic.

There are no best solutions. There are only optimal solutions given what you know. Knowledge is power - or at least enhanced control.

Buen Camino!

Tom (from Virginia)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There were over 50,000 more pilgrims in the last holy year than this year. A lot of permanent accommodations were built, so capacity today can handle a crowd of over 1/4 million. Temporary facilities were set up in Portomarin, Melide, and O Pino with "tents" housing thousands each night, which helped with crowds in the last 100km.

There will always be beds until the next holy year. It is a matter of picking the strategy that gets one without undue inconvenience.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome is insanity. If a pilgrim is encountering bed problems, I suggest trying something different!;)

Tom,

In your discourse you cite some of the reasons why I have always walked 'off-season' in autumn and winter. It may be wet, foggy, and cold but there ARE always plenty of bunks in those albergues which are open!

Margaret Meredith

Tom, this is great -- I have heard a lot about chaos theory and always thought it was just the forces that made my office look the way it does. ;)

And though many will probably scoff at your idea about Camino visas, that is exactly what they do on the Inka Trail. I think we're probably years and years away from that kind of crisis mismatch between supply and demand, but interesting to consider. In the meantime, the next time I head to the Camino Frances, I will follow your advice. But for others, if you are interested in walking in "high season" and don't want to deal with the crowds, there are many other Caminos out there with good infrastructure and beautiful scenery! Buen camino, Laurie

But for others, if you are interested in walking in "high season" and don't want to deal with the crowds, there are many other Caminos out there with good infrastructure and beautiful scenery! Buen camino, Laurie[/quote]

Which others have the good infrastructure in your opinion? I'm interested in which would be considered second or third? Thanks!

I talked to a pilgrim today that just came in after walking from Sarria. He told me that they had no problems finding lodging. I thing they slept in privat accommodations.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No problem whatsoever of getting a bed at an albergue. The school kids went back to school and the holidays are over - that is what the locals tell us.

This info is from the last 14 dAys:

Leon Carbajalas 1/3 of the beds taken.

San Martin municipal half full.

Astorga San Javier - the big room upstairs was opened quite late in the evening.

Foncebadon Albergue Monte Irago quite full.

Ferramenteiro in Portomarin - 26 beds were taken out of 134.

Palas de Rei - Meson de Benito half of the beds taken.

The only albergue that was completo was one of the albergues in Casanova.

I am one day past Sdc now and the albergue is half full.

There is lots of capacity and one of my co- peregrinas was late o get on the road, took a lot of long pauses and arrived around 6 pm and alwys ot a bed.

So do not worry.

No problems at all to find a bed even after Sarria. But I have only done a few stops after Sarria so I can't speak for all places. And today I'm in a CR to find the calm and sleep to go the final stage.

But for others, if you are interested in walking in "high season" and don't want to deal with the crowds, there are many other Caminos out there with good infrastructure and beautiful scenery! Buen camino, Laurie

Which others have the good infrastructure in your opinion? I'm interested in which would be considered second or third? Thanks![/quote]

The Norte, the Via de la Plata, the Portugues, and the Primitivo are, IMO, very well serviced, have a good pilgrim "vibe", and provide beautiful scenery. In no particular order.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm agreeing with all the above comments. A friend is back 3 weeks from walking ponferrada to muxia. She had no difficulty in finding a bed. She avoided the end stages in the guide and didn't need to pre book at all.

Chaos theory is just that. It infers a state where there are no practical controls and things happen randomly and independently of each other. In other words the famous / timeless bumper sticker "S*&% Happens." BTW - I NEVER anticipate the Camino visa / permit idea taking hold.

Likewise, if you ask 10 pilgrims what their experience was regarding lodging along the way, you will likely get 15 opinions - most of them anecdotal. So, when someone tells me that they had no problems with lodging, I first ask them if they adhered to the Brierely stages, what day of the week they hit the town or village, and finally, what time of day they showed up to obtain a bed for the evening. If one subscribes to the wave hypothesis of Camino pilgrim distribution, just knowing where and when a group of pilgrims arrived is usually enough to predict the chance of problems.

Thus, it is possible to walk the entire Camino Frances for a month or more and not have any problems. However, there are also some unfortunate pilgrims who, also born under my zodiac sign of "Cloud" likely have any variety of problems day after day. For these folks, I do understand, really, I do. On my 35 days on the Camino Frances, I had 26 days of solid overcast or some sort of precipitation, from continual drenching mist to wet snow and ice. I learned to despise, truly hate, MUD!

The bottom line is that we are, at certain times of the year, probably reaching a critical mass along some, but not all stretches of the Camino Frances. Moreover, individual or group dynamics and behavior affect the daily lodging solution. But that has been that case for years, and especially during a proclaimed "holy year."

In the end analysis, "you pays your money and takes your chances..." Then again, that is all part of the Camino experience. Relax, I learned along the Way that "Life is a journey and one should simply try to enjoy the journey. The journey IS the destination..." In fact, my wife had framed that quote I made on a Face Time call one day, as a birthday present for me when I returned home from my Camino. I opine that we, each of us, should be prepared for any eventuality. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and offer it up...just put one foot in front of the other and repeat as necessary until you get to the Praza Obradoiro... :)

Buen Camino y'all...

Tom (from Virginia)

Has anyone set out from SJPdP in the last few days? What is the situation like regarding availability of beds now?. Im starting next Sunday and mildly concerned having read other posts about difficulties/people sleeping in porches and ATM porticos!!. Thanks for any information,
Buen Camino
Robert

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I feel the same. I am doing research now to know more about the country and the stops along the way...ALLL stops not just the ones that seem to come with the so called allotted walking distances. It seems to me there are plenty of places one could opt for if they were not in such a rush to finish. I think that people should leave their day timers schedules and appointment books at home...stop living at a pace where rushing is the norm. It is not a race. The whole idea of a pilgrimage is to be a pilgrim. I don't ever remember a story about any pilgrim who had GPS or reservations for when they arrived at the scheduled distance. Most pligrims travelled without even having maps...drawing them as they went!

Fear is a mind killer. Don't let anxiety about where you are going to stay keep you from enjoying the adventure and the excitement of discovering whats around the next corner. Leave room for serendipity and for God or the Universe or who ever your higher power is to guide you and give you what you need. "Seek and you shall find. Ask and it shall be given to you. Knock and the door will be opened for you. AMEN
AMEN!!!!!

Has anyone set out from SJPdP in the last few days? What is the situation like regarding availability of beds now?. Im starting next Sunday and mildly concerned having read other posts about difficulties/people sleeping in porches and ATM porticos!!. Thanks for any information,
Buen Camino
Robert

Hi Robert, Even in the busiest of times, if you avoid the Brierley stages or the typical stopping points in the guidebooks, you will find lots of beds.

I have three friends who started from St. Jean on Sept. 4 and they had a reservation in Orisson but beyond that, they have been walking without reservations and have not had any problems, and they have stopped in Pamplona, Puente la Reina, Estella, Los Arcos (all of these are the "typical" stages). So I don't think you should have any concerns at all. Buen camino, Laurie

Chaos theory is just that. It infers a state where there are no practical controls and things happen randomly and independently of each other. In other words the famous / timeless bumper sticker "S*&% Happens." BTW - I NEVER anticipate the Camino visa / permit idea taking hold.

Likewise, if you ask 10 pilgrims what their experience was regarding lodging along the way, you will likely get 15 opinions - most of them anecdotal. So, when someone tells me that they had no problems with lodging, I first ask them if they adhered to the Brierely stages, what day of the week they hit the town or village, and finally, what time of day they showed up to obtain a bed for the evening. If one subscribes to the wave hypothesis of Camino pilgrim distribution, just knowing where and when a group of pilgrims arrived is usually enough to predict the chance of problems.

Thus, it is possible to walk the entire Camino Frances for a month or more and not have any problems. However, there are also some unfortunate pilgrims who, also born under my zodiac sign of "Cloud" likely have any variety of problems day after day. For these folks, I do understand, really, I do. On my 35 days on the Camino Frances, I had 26 days of solid overcast or some sort of precipitation, from continual drenching mist to wet snow and ice. I learned to despise, truly hate, MUD!

The bottom line is that we are, at certain times of the year, probably reaching a critical mass along some, but not all stretches of the Camino Frances. Moreover, individual or group dynamics and behavior affect the daily lodging solution. But that has been that case for years, and especially during a proclaimed "holy year."

In the end analysis, "you pays your money and takes your chances..." Then again, that is all part of the Camino experience. Relax, I learned along the Way that "Life is a journey and one should simply try to enjoy the journey. The journey IS the destination..." In fact, my wife had framed that quote I made on a Face Time call one day, as a birthday present for me when I returned home from my Camino. I opine that we, each of us, should be prepared for any eventuality. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and offer it up...just put one foot in front of the other and repeat as necessary until you get to the Praza Obradoiro... :)

Buen Camino y'all...

Tom (from Virginia)

Hey Tom!

Good on ya!;)

Tom,

In your discourse you cite some of the reasons why I have always walked 'off-season' in autumn and winter. It may be wet, foggy, and cold but there ARE always plenty of bunks in those albergues which are open!

Margaret Meredith

Is it really that bad in Sept and the first half of October?

I have found the Brierley guide rushes through a lot of what I would want to take in. There are so many more things along the way. ...I will prolly follow the footsteps of Falcon and meander a little. There is so much to see and I am very lucky I won't have to rush. I have the luxury of time...and I am so glad...

Yes there are lots walking at the moment and alberge are full completo. It's a problem people ringing and booking ahead were on day 10 near Burgos and still problems hope it might clear when the two weekers go home Zubiri was a big problem even people sleeping on flours and bussing out of towns advice would be to come later in September if hold permit Defo a rat race at the moment

Tom, In your discourse you cite some of the reasons why I have always walked 'off-season' in autumn and winter. It may be wet, foggy, and cold but there ARE always plenty of bunks in those albergues which are open! Margaret Meredith
I agree 100% with Margaret. I always walk May/June and accommodation is one reason. I also try to avoid Wet April!
Margaret - it would be nice if our paths crossed, but it seems you always walk the French route. I prefer a little more solitude. Next year [May/June] it's the Camino Ingles, to celebrate my 75th birthday.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back