• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

full albergues

crissy311

I will be walking from Leon to Santiago in August and my family in Spain is worried that the albergues will be full and I will have nowhere to sleep... I am not afraid to sleep on the ground if I have to, but is this really a problem? I know it is Holy Year... what do you think?

Will anyone from here be walking toward the end in August?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Crissy - August will be the busiest month but the local authories say they will provide extra beds including in tents and opening sport halls etc. People who walked in the last Holy Year say that they always found a bed. Good luck.

John

Greetings Crissy,

I'm fairly new to the forum and walk my first Camino in June. I've been reading and digesting all I can from this forum. Like your family, I've considered the sleeping accommodations as well since it is a Holy Year, but ... the pilgrims all seem to have consensus that the Camino provides.

However, in the last few days I started googling videos of the Camino. At first I was moved and inspired. Then I found myself thinking... stop... wait and see whatever else you can firsthand for yourself! Meanwhile, as I'm going through this process, I did come across a YouTube video titled "Hospitaleros Welcome." They spoke about how they expect 5 million pilgrims for the Holy Year but I'm wondering if that was a mistranslation for 'thousand'... but the point is that a Spanish company out of Galicia was doing work in NYC with shipping containers and now they are thinking of recycling these containers on the Camino to house the high numbers of pilgrims expected in 2010.

I guess I'm saying that whatever the case may be, I'm choosing to believe in the pilgrims who tell us that "the Camino provides." I'm not going to worry about it and I'm not so sure you are either... but maybe the forum will help alleviate the fears of your family.

Peace~ Denise

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 5 million referred to visitors to Santiago - this has now gone up to between 10 and 12 million! Not all pilgrims walk to Santiago and you don't have to walk to earn the pleanary indulgence.
The Pilgrims' Office estimated issuing ±250 000 Compostelas this year. There are also figures that suggest that onky 1 in 5 of all pilgrims walking the caminos actually get the Compostela so there could be 1.25 million pilgrims walking parts of the caminos this year.

Hi Sil,

Forgive my ignorance, but after reading your math, I'm not sure... are you implying that we should or should not be worried about the high number of pilgrims this year?? Either way, I'm in. Just interested in hearing you elaborate on the matter.

Grazie~ Denise

:D Between 10 and 12 million tourists and pilgrims arriving in Compostela by planes, trains and automobiles: and, 250 000 arriving by foot, with another million hiking parts of the trail (but with no intention of reaching Santiago). Its daunting - whichever way you read it!
But, as you're in anyway, why worry? If I was walking this year I would just walk and trust that I would get a bed somewhere at the end of the day.
I walked in the 2004 Holy Year and we found beds in the strangest places. We slept in a converted barn, in the living room of a house that was under construction, on matresses on a ledge around the sunken kitchen in Molinaseca - all part of the happy memories today!
Just go for it.
Hugs,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
sillydoll said:
I walked in the 2004 Holy Year and we found beds in the strangest places. We slept in a converted barn, in the living room of a house that was under construction, on matresses on a ledge around the sunken kitchen in Molinaseca - all part of the happy memories today!
Just go for it.
Hugs,

Sil,
you prompt me to reconsider taking my sleeping pad and sleeping bag! I'm starting From SJPP on 15 June.

WWSD?! :wink:

Danke!

Nancy

Nancy, if you were coming to my part of the world on 15th June, I'd say 'bring a bed'!! By the 15th June, the majority of Spanish, French, English, Italian, German, Portuguese etc etc soccer fanatics will be in South Africa so you should be OK in Spain!! Take you sleeping-bag liner. Most albergues insist that you have something to sleep on and not on their bare mattresses.
Have a great walk!

Hi Sil,

You ARE a DOLL!! Ha! I love your spirit and attitude and "daunting" is a perfect choice of words. But yes, I'm in so I'll "go with the flow" and have faith that all will work out.

If anyone can handle the soccer frenzy you're anticipating, that would be you... tee hee!

Grazie~ Denise

Nancy-- I'll be about a week behind you. I ordered the pilgrim forum badge... I'll have it on my tan Osprey backpack. I'll look out for you as I may have to skip a stage or 2 to reach my 5 week goal... very excited for us both!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am beginning my first pilgrimage at the same time, June 15 or 16 at SJPP. I too have been feeling concern about the crowds. But just now, reading this bog, it struck me that the crowds this year may just be something very special to be a part of, rather than to dread. A relaxing feeling just swept over me!

But I am bringing my sleeping pad and a small bag! I just hope for a daily shower and a place to rinse my smelly clothes out. I look forward to meeting you along the way. george

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice! I agree the Camino Will Provide! I have a new question for veterans, I have found several towns with campsites, any idea what the rate to sleep outside is? I am definitely taking my sleeping bag (It is only 1 lb)
Thanks!

Re: List of camping sites along the camino

Hello Crissi.
Go here!
There you can download a list with camp sites along the Camino Francés with adresses, telephone numbers and sometimes with home pages.
Buen Camino
Jochen

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Re: camping site in German language

Hi David.
Campsite in German = Zeltplatz or Campingplatz
Buen camino
Jochen = in Spanish = Joaquin

Just adding my two cents --

My 18-year-old daughter and I just returned from walking the Frances from Sarria to Finisterre. While the Camino was quite crowded from Sarria to Santiago, and we sometimes felt a bit like we had joined a foot-race with more veteran, much stronger and at times rather competitive fellow-pilgrims, we never found ourselves without an albergue bed at night.

Taking our cues from the vets, we rose early (by 5:30/6), generally put in 5 miles before stopping for breakfast, and generally arrived at our destination by 12:30 or 1:00 when the albergue opened.

We mainly stayed at public albergues, but we did notice quite a number of private albergues and small hotels available as well, especially through Santiago.

I know the numbers are expected to increase in July and August, and that may worry potential pilgrims. Hearing reports of crowding on the Frances, Caity and I almost decided to walk the reportedly beautiful and much less-traveled Ingles instead. But finally we decided to stick with the original plan/dream, be open to whatever came our way, and trust that "The Camino Will Provide". We are so glad that we did -- because among those Frances crowds we met amazing people, shared wonderful conversations and meals and experiences with folks of all ages, and really soaked up the joy and camaraderie of the Camino.

Good luck -- and Buen Camino!

Cindy & Caity

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.