• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Full Moon Walk 2013

nreyn12

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2005) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) (2012) (2013) (2014) (2015); Guide 2013-2016
Has anyone walked at night under a full moon? I am thinking of trying it this year. In case you are interested, here are the dates of the full moon for 2013 (times are for Europe):

Monday, 25th February 2013, 09:26:06 pm
Wednesday, 27th March 2013, 10:27:18 am
Thursday, 25th April 2013, 09:57:06 pm [*]
Saturday, 25th May 2013, 06:24:54 am
Sunday, 23rd June 2013, 01:32:18 pm
Monday, 22nd July 2013, 08:15:30 pm
Wednesday, 21st August 2013, 03:44:36 am
Thursday, 19th September 2013, 01:12:48 pm
Saturday, 19th October 2013, 01:37:42 am
Sunday, 17th November 2013, 04:15:42 pm
Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 10:28:06 am

[*] At this point in time, a partial lunar eclipse takes place.

Who knows where the moon will be in the night sky on these days, but just in case, mark your calendar!
Nancy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Nancy,
Sounds like a great idea ! We wanted to walk under the stars on the meseta, so left v early from Castrojeriz. The stars were amazing, but not light enough to walk by. Consequently, we walked up that very steep climb, in the dark, missed the superb view from the top , but at least we tried it.

What was truly special, was walking out of Vilar de Mazarife , with our dear friends by moonlight, and experiencing the moon set and sunrise simultaneously :)

So am loving your idea !

I did it once.
El Burgo Ranero - Mansillas de las Mulas. Impossible to get lost, no need to look for arrows.
I left at 2 in the morning and strolled into Mansillas at 8, having enjoyed a memorable experience under the stars and the moon.
After breakfast in Mansillas, being too early to stop, I went on to Puente Villarente.
I stopped at a hotel right after the bridge and the owner refused to give me a room before noon. He stated that it was forbitted by law in Spain to do so.
I spent the time having a second breakfast.
Don't worry be happy.
Jean-Marc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
What a great idea! I will not be on Camino this year, but I will be walking/cycling somewhere... so will try a moonlit walk. Maybe on the newly-signed Mary Michael Pilgrim's Way, which is quite local to me in ~Devon, UK

Fabulous idea!
By May 25th I should be seriously approaching Santiago.
Thus possibly I might reach the Cathedral under the full moon :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That would be a fantastic walk, unfortunately something I dare not consider due to very poor night vision - even with a full moon. But please remember, if you use walking poles, to keep rubber stoppers on the tips so you don't disturb the locals who are trying to sleep.

Trudy

Ah Nancy, why did you have to plant that seed of an idea in my head?

Leave Casa Paderborn and arrive at Alto del Perdon just as the sun rises, it does draw me in but might have to rethink where I stay in Pamplona so the very early start doesn't disturb my fellow peregrinos unduly, here's hoping for a cloudless night. :)

Tyvm

Seamus

Cannot understand the times. The full moon does not rise during the day, but always rises slightly later than sunset, and sets slightly before sunrise. Similarly, half moon rises halfway way between sunset and sunrise and sets around midday (if you can see it). But that is academic as the dates are correct. David

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Often there is a grave yard, sometimes on a hill, on the Camino, just outside of town.

A great place to lay on your back, watch the moon, and listen to the murmuring of the dead.

Or maybe not.

supersullivan said:
....here's hoping for a cloudless night. :)
Yes, and a rainless one too! Sounds great, though. That long stretch from Carrion up to Calzadilla would be good at night. Straight and flat so reduced chance of accidents or getting lost. Also away from the towns and villages so not too much light pollution. :) It's not the most inspiring part of the route during the day, so the night might bring out its magic!

Bueen Camino!

camino-david said:
Cannot understand the times. The full moon does not rise during the day, but always rises slightly later than sunset, and sets slightly before sunrise. Similarly, half moon rises halfway way between sunset and sunrise and sets around midday (if you can see it). But that is academic as the dates are correct.

The times mean that the moon is full at that time due to the position of the earth, but of course only the people who live someplace else can see it!

For example, if the moon is full on April 25 at 9:57am Europe time, that means that the folks in California are seeing it in the night sky. The moon appears full or full-ish for the day before and after the dates given, so a nighttime walk on April 24 or 25 should be well-lit.

I'm definitely not an astronomer, but I think there are some nights when the moon isn't positioned visibly in the night sky, regardless of its fullness. Unfortunately. Any astronomers out there who can help out here?
Nancy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your uncle RENSHAW has done both the Moon and Compostela walk and they were tough.

The fullmoon walk was from Azofra to Granon after some drunk perigino was threatening me with a stick because I was not Spanish( the dangers of sleeping in an albergue where the have 'money collectors' and not hospitaleros.)

A slow 40km 'stars only' walk from Burgos to Castrojerez. Stumbling around for two hours after passing through Hornillos as 10 pm , I finally put on my headlamp. The previous walk was in the cold , but this walk in the Meseta was freezing. I really feared for my safety , should I fall and die of exposure?

In each case , I was alone - make sure that you have at least one companion as there is no scenery at all except for the stars. Also , plan a long rest stop and make a meal , light a fire. There is an ideal place for this just outside Hornillos del Camino.

I feel a bit of planning is needed or it can be oh so boring.(just for the sake of ticking off the box?)

Hi Nancy, I based my comment on my knowledge of celestial navigation. Reading your post, what is the point of knowing the time of full moon in California when you are in Spain. And if a moon is full then you will see it ALL night providing visibility is clear, not at one point in time. Having said all that, I have sailed many passages at night and it is truly a wondrous experience, with thousands of stars visible, and it is surprising how good is the visibility. I have not done a night walk, but at sea visibility is up to 2 nautical miles just from the light from the stars. Since I will be walking in June this year I intend to do a night walk. David

Nancy,

after the climb up from Castrojeritz very early, in the beginning of Sept. 2009, I was met by this upon the beginning of the meseta:

ex2.jpg

And the day is coming, slowly:

ex3.jpg

Good luck with your moonwalk!

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That sounds lovely -- I'm not sure where we'll be on March 27, but we may have to try it! What a great idea.

Alex, thanks for the photos! In eight Camino walks I have never walked at night or with a full moon. This year I will!

camino-david said:
what is the point of knowing the time of full moon in California when you are in Spain.
David, no point, really, is there! I did a copy/paste from a full-moon website, and that was the information they provided. (http://www.fullmoon.info/en/fullmoon-calendar.html)

The moon will appear full in the days leading up to and following the dates given, and that should be enough to get in a 'full moon' walk.
Nancy

Nancy, This is an interesting post and reminded me of my experience last October. I left St Jean at 7:30am and because of day light saving, it was still dark. It just happened to be a full moon so I walked in the moonlight until the dawn light took over. A month later as I neared Santiago, the same thing happened. I remember mentioning this to another pilgrim as I walked with them "Look a full moon. I left on a full moon and now I will finish with one. I've been walking for a lunar month."

Thanks for bringing the memory back.
Grant.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll be walking on april 25th, coincidently it's my birthday, and that sounds like and amazing way to spend it. :mrgreen:

Hi Nancy
I am doing the Camino Frances from August 29th to Oct 2nd so I will definitely want to do a full moon section but obviously it will be weather dependent. I did a fabulous Full Moon walk in Glenmalure County Wicklow recently with a group of 50 to 60 walkers.

http://www.irishtrails.ie/trails.aspx?c=Wicklow

It was bliss and the image looking back at the walkers like a snake coming down the mountain with headtorches was beautiful. So hopefully around September 17th - 18th I will get a few like minded peregrinos to join me on the night!
Buen Camino
Ger

Nyren12 asked: Has anyone walked at night under a full moon? I am thinking of trying it this year. In case you are interested, here are the dates of the full moon for 2013 (times are for Europe):

Yes Nancy, many times in many countries. It's wonderful. Thanks for reminding me of such sweet memories.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked in June, unfortunately the full moon appeared during the day

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back