• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Full zip, 1/4 zip, 1/2 zip, waterproof?

KaliKat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hello all!

I'm looking to buy a quality fleece for my Camino because I expect to wear it a lot in the late autumn/early winter. I was looking at full zip Storm rated sweaters from Under Armour but all of the pack lists I've seen have specified a 1/4 zip fleece. Is there a reason for this? The weight of the zipper? Chafing?

Should I bother with the waterproofing or should I trust in my Coalatree poncho?

Gracias and buen Camino!

Kali

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome Kali, on my first Camino I used a 1/4 zip fleese and it was a pain in the neck putting it on and taking it off as the conditions changed during the day. On the second Camino I used a full zip and this worked much better, opening and closing the zip was all that was required most of the time for cooling/warming as conditions changed and it was also easier to put on and take off.
Have a great Camino. Buen Camino.

Personally I use a full zip fleece. Can't think of a reason to use otherwise, as only a full zip keeps total control over temperature IMHO.

A fleece is not normally waterproof. And so it's part of what is technically referred to a a clothing 'system'. This system allows a great deal of flexibility in layering, temperature control and weather proofing.

Others will use other 'systems' as it's very personal, but mine goes like this.

I don't use a 'base layer' which I think normally refers to thermal type undergarments.

1st layer. Tech shirt. Very little warmth but good sun protection. Full sleeved with a collar.
Next. Fleece. For warmth. But little wind protection and no rain protection. It's not really an 'outer' layer. but a 'mid layer' garment.
Next. Rain Jacket. Great wind protection (has a peaked hood) and as far as i can tell so far on 2 Caminos, 100% rain protection. (Many members use a poncho instead of a rain jacket)

I rarely wear the fleece when walking (it gets too hot) maybe only on a cold morning for the first hour.
It's great for evening wear though. In early winter I imagine I would wear it!

The tech shirt is worn every day, washed every night.

The rain jacket is obviously worn when raining, but also provides a light additional warmth layer when needed and great wind and rain protection. I wear it a lot.

That's the top part............

For my legs I wear tech hiking pants (not shorts or zip offs). I want the weather protection. (sun and bugs)
And for wind / rain protection very light rain pants.

That's it.

Note. my fleece is only 430 gms and my wife's same design (size 8) 320 gms.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1st layer. Tech shirt. Very little warmth but good sun protection. Full sleeved with a collar.

When you say "tech shirt" do you mean a moisture-wicking shirt or something more specific?

Thank you for your great input, also!

Kali

When you say "tech shirt" do you mean a moisture-wicking shirt or something more specific?

Thank you for your great input, also!

Kali

Tech shirts are usually very lightweight, fast drying, synthetics.....
Mine are 95% nylon I think. They dry in about 1 hour!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buy a cheap, light fleece with full zip. An expensive quality fleece is not nessesarily better. Since I live in Norway I use fleece all the year and have tried out most kinds. I always bring a cheap one in my caminopack. Then I can afford to destroy it in a 60 degree wash. Wool is my favourite, but it is heavier.

I went for a marino wool full zip fleece and have to say (although) expensive it has served me well as layer 2, wouldn't go walkie without it.

If you are thinking about something jacket-like (a "softshell"), then I'd much prefer a full zipper for versatility.

If it's a light fleece, used more or less like a light sweater, then I prefer a short zipper.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would only go with a full zip. That way you can more easily regulate your body temperature. I really don't understand the point of half and quarter zips on outerwear! It drives me crazy when I find the perfect hoodie except that it doesn't have a full zip. :confused:

I just use a pullover fleece.
My ALTUS raincoat keeps me dry, and frankly, with IT on, I don't need a fleece at all as it holds in enough heat when I'm walking to keep me toasty.

I will give a long round-about explanation/introduction/lecture before answering your question! It's impossible to answer a question about a detailed feature on a single item of clothing. As others have said, it is the clothing layering system that matters.

To plan your layers, start by picking a combination of clothes that you would wear for a long walk on a "typical" day at home, assuming a sunny day with the temperature starting at 5C and going up to 25C. For me, that is typically:
  1. light base layer t-shirt or sleeveless tank top,
  2. light long-sleeved t-shirt,
  3. button-up shirt with long sleeves to protect from sun and give a small amount of insulation/windbreak,
  4. merino wool buff and lightweight gloves
That is for typical walking when it is not raining. As the day warms up, you take off layers. First, the buff and gloves come off (without needing to stop and remove backpack). Then after a couple of hours I might stop and remove layer #2, but then put #3 back on.

If the weather stays chilly or is windy or rainy, I wear my lightweight rain jacket and, if necessary, my rain pants, over the same walking layers as listed above. Those items are almost always enough to keep me warm while I am walking in March, October and November, through weather ranging from 0C to 30C, from blazing sun to pelting rain. I have rarely worn a "fleece" while walking, whether 1/4 zip or full zip.

You should have something warm and cosy (be sure to keep it dry) to wear in the evenings when your body is tired and easily chilled. That is when I use my full-zip fleece, often with a sleeveless down vest. Either of these items can be used during the day in case of "emergency" (really unexpected cold weather) or worn to bed as an extra layer if the albergue is unheated.

As to your original question about the zipper for a "fleece," it depends on what you are using the fleece for. My medium fleece has a full zip as it provides the most flexibility for temperature control.

Having said all this, I realize that many people take different things, such as an all-purpose "fleece jacket" and are very happy with their choices.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I like a very lightweight pullover style fleece for shoulder seasons, just to keep the chill off. For winter I switch to a synthetic puff jacket that has filling that still insulates when wet and has a full zipper to regulate heat as this one does get me warm fast. Both are worn with season appropriate layers under and a waterproof jacket over when necessary.

I wore a full sip light weight Patagonia. We walked in March and April 2016. 1 long sleeved and 1 short sleeved smart wool were all the shirts I had. We walked through several days of snow, sleet, hail and lots of rain and never got cold. I purchased a rain jacket I didn't like using the poncho. I did carry the poncho for emergency shelter.

I don't use a 'base layer' which I think normally refers to thermal type undergarments.

Next. Fleece. For warmth. But little wind protection and no rain protection. It's not really an 'outer' layer. but a 'mid layer' garment.
Next. Rain Jacket. Great wind protection (has a peaked hood) and as far as i can tell so far on 2 Caminos, 100% rain protection. (Many members use a poncho instead of a rain jacket)

"Base Layer" refers to any garment that is next to the skin; it doesn't mean thermal undergarments, although a thermal undergarment CAN be the base layer. So, your description of your Tech Shirt as your 1st layer, would be your "base layer". In cooler weather, many times a wicking-type shirt is worn next to the skin.

Next comes the insulating layer, if needed, which is your Fleece.

The third layer is the Shell Layer, which is the weather protection layer. This can be a rain jacket, poncho, or wind shell. As you described, some folks abandon a wind shell jacket (which is typically much lighter than a rain jacket), and use their rain jacket as a wind shell if needed.

These are the three basic layers, but there are any number of ways to use layering. For example, adding a wicking shirt as the base layer to go under a tech shirt to increase thermal efficiency when it isn't cool enough for a fleece. Or, using a wind shell, or a rain jacket, over the base layer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all!

I'm looking to buy a quality fleece for my Camino because I expect to wear it a lot in the late autumn/early winter. I was looking at full zip Storm rated sweaters from Under Armour but all of the pack lists I've seen have specified a 1/4 zip fleece. Is there a reason for this? The weight of the zipper? Chafing?

Should I bother with the waterproofing or should I trust in my Coalatree poncho?

Gracias and buen Camino!

Kali

A full zip provides the best ability for you to regulate excessive heat.

For weight savings, you could forgo the jacket and choose a vest if you are also taking a long sleeved shirt. That will work well for your insulating layer. You can also save more weight by forgoing the fleece, and taking a synthetic puffy vest. Something like the Patagonia Nano Air vest, which weighs 6 ounces, and provides even better insulation and breathability than a fleece.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the incredible number and type of shirts, jackets, vests, ...... wind proof, water proof ..... Start with what is comfortable and may work well for you. Test them out as layers before you leave home. Or if that isn't practical, there are stores in Spain.

With the incredible number and type of shirts, jackets, vests, ...... wind proof, water proof ..... Start with what is comfortable and may work well for you. Test them out as layers before you leave home.

All part of the 'fun' of Camino planning ;) I discarded a few things before finding what suited me best. Including 2 back packs, a sleeping bag, hiking pants..........

The lesson for me was..........do your research before going nuts in the hiking store :oops:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You forget the rice cooker @Robo :D;);)

I still have it! In fact I'm weighing up whether to pack it next time! :p
It's only about 900 gms I think, and I have our packs down to only 3.4 and 7.4 kgs. Including sleeping bags!
So it could easily sneak in :D

With a bit of Rice for breakfast and a bag of Rice in her pocket, Pat is a very happy Pilgrim and will keep going all day ;)

She loves all manner of food, but rice is her favourite Carb.... Not a great fan of bread and chips day after day.

Fresh rice would be nice now and again :) And you can do sooooooo much with it :rolleyes:

Dashes off to check weight of mini rice cooker............

It's 870 gms including the cable ! I reckon it's back on the packing list :D

Last edited:
I still have it! In fact I'm weighing up whether to pack it next time! :p
It's only about 900 gms I think, and I have our packs down to only 3.4 and 7.4 kgs. Including sleeping bags!
So it could easily sneak in :D

With a bit of Rice for breakfast and a bag of Rice in her pocket, Pat is a very happy Pilgrim and will keep going all day ;)

She loves all manner of food, but rice is her favourite Carb.... Not a great fan of bread and chips day after day.

Fresh rice would be nice now and again :) And you can do sooooooo much with it :rolleyes:

Dashes off to check weight of mini rice cooker............

My brother is married to a Thai lady, I KNOW she doesn't go anywhere without her rice cooker. :D
In fact they were soooooo shocked I didn't have one in my house!:eek: :oops:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My brother is married to a Thai lady, I KNOW she doesn't go anywhere without her rice cooker. :D
In fact they were soooooo shocked I didn't have one in my house!:eek: :oops:

What!!!!!! :eek:

We have about 5 at last count (varying sizes). And one in the office! (just in case)

And of course about 6 varieties of Rice in stock........ :oops:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jasmine, Basmati, Black, Red, Brown, Italian, Japanese, Sticky........ sorry. 8 :rolleyes:

Sorry Mods. We are supposed to be talking about Fleeces and food got in the way.......
:D

Yes sorry for being off topic :oops:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.