• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fun threads

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Just a suggestion. Vicrev started one of those "winter blues" threads- "Hypothetical Meeting". This under the global "Miscellaneous Topics" Maybe we could have a similar global topic (called maybe "For fun only") where light hearted banter can be exchanged without controversy? What do people think? Or maybe more importantly, what do you and the moderators think Ivar?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a suggestion. Vicrev started one of those "winter blues" threads- "Hypothetical Meeting". This under the global "Miscellaneous Topics" Maybe we could have a similar global topic (called maybe "For fun only") where light hearted banter can be exchanged without controversy? What do people think? Or maybe more importantly, what do you and the moderators think Ivar?

Laughter, and lot's of it, was one of the most unexpected gifts of my first Camino and indeed humor continues to be a component of all my journeys since then. So I like the the idea of a 'for fun only' Topic heading that one can access in it's own right. Though I'd hope that humor and whimsy will still be welcomed as leavening on other 'heavier' threads/ Topics.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In view of my brilliant intellect, bodily perfection, Irish charm, superb edjimicayshun and natural modesty, I think I should be the moderator for this forum. :):p:rolleyes:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think someone has already coined "A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum"
Perfect name for it Allan. :)
Oh dear, I think this gives my age away. I can remember my parents going to see this musical and I was deemed 'too young' to be allowed to go, or even be told much about it. :) I think there was a later television series 'spin-off' with Frankie Howard, or at least based on a similar theme.

See here for more about the original 'A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum'

Feeling my age
HH

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Come on Allan we are waiting for the new thread 'A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum' :)

Yes Allan don't be shy can't wait to get started like the Camino it is caaalling me too !!!!!!!!:)

Sorry Al,just noticed your thread...........now your talking my language...the Language of Laughter..it crosses all borders,cultures,languages,religions....I have walked with,catholics,protestants,atheists,jews,poms....the common thread of communication, was always laughter,at ourselves & with each other , so Al,you are the M.C., create your thread,I hope it brings happiness & goodwill to this Forum......:):)...........keep smiling.........Vicrev

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
True story:
Last year on the Camino my brother and I were booking in to a private albergue. I asked the lady in my best broken Spanish for a double room, she put one hand on her hip and pointing to my brother and then me said "hermanos" misunderstanding her I said "No, no, we are brothers, the girl behind me started to laugh and when I turned around she said "hermanos means brothers" she then said something to the lady in Spanish and they both had a laugh. To quote gerardcarey "Just horrid sometimes aren’t they? ….Women Pilgrims"

I tell this story with apologies to those with a weak disposition. On our first day of the Frances, my daughter, who had thought she didn't need to train much because she had youth on her side, was finding the going very tough up over the Pyrenees. As we were nearing the summit the fatigue (not helped by the pâté we had eaten for lunch) began to make her feel very queasy. She walked to a narrow crevasse and leaned over in preparation to empty her stomach. As she was standing there peering into the deep hole, a couple of Korean pilgrims walked over to join her to see what she was looking at - they didn't stay long!

.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

My laugh out moment on the Camino this year was in the Cistercian nuns albergue in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, I was sharing the old folks ( no bunk beds ) dorm with an American couple and 2 Italian gentlemen, it was the end of my 5th day and there had been prolonged heavy rain every day, myself and one of the Italians were showing each other a few of the items we had brought along 'just in case' and we both simultaneously pulled out a bottle of S.P.F. lotion, we both cracked up for a few minutes in near hysterical laughter at what up to that point had been the single most useless item we had both brought along, needless to say ( so why am I saying it? ) the S.P.F. later on the Meseta saw extensive use.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
While we were walkin the Camino in 2012 we met a lovely girl from Hungary as we walked to Roncavellas, she was full of life, had a funny turn of phrase and loved to laugh, as time went on everyone we met on the trail seemed to know her. We would meet up with her every few days, she became one of our Camino family. When we reached Los Arcos we stayed inAlbergue de la Fuente Casa de Austria, it was fairly busy in our dorm and there was only the top bunk above me left. Well our friend arrived in the dorm about 6.00pm and after greeting us and most of the rest of the room which she seemed to know, she said "Patreek would it be ok if I sleep on top of you tonight" well the whole dorm cracked up. How could I possibly refuse a request like that and not wishing to be churlish I said yes. :)

In view of my brilliant intellect, bodily perfection, Irish charm, superb edjimicayshun and natural modesty, I think I should be the moderator for this forum. :):p:rolleyes:

OK I vote for supersullivan.. sounds super to me.. I actually thought you were going to say that because of your brilliant intellect you could not possibly be part of such shenanigans :)

€60,-
Sorry Al,just noticed your thread...........now your talking my language...the Language of Laughter..it crosses all borders,cultures,languages,religions....I have walked with,catholics,protestants,atheists,jews,poms....the common thread of communication, was always laughter,at ourselves & with each other , so Al,you are the M.C., create your thread,I hope it brings happiness & goodwill to this Forum......:):)...........keep smiling.........Vicrev

Oh well maybe this one is better…. do the "Poms" come under the same banner as catholics, prostetants, atheists, jews …. I did not know Pom had become a religion :) …. we Aussies love our Pommie friends :)

Al,
Is this a fun thread? It came loose on my favourite lounging about trousers which will be coming with me on my Camino next May.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 35

€60,-
Oh well maybe this one is better…. do the "Poms" come under the same banner as catholics, prostetants, atheists, jews …. I did not know Pom had become a religion :) …. we Aussies love our Pommie friends :)
For a moment Annie,I thought you were going to mention the Cricket Religion,but,we aren't allowed to talk about sport, on this Forum,leads to arguments.......I have to mention in passing........OZ 1.....POMS 0 !!!!..........:D...........buggar,just pressed the post button instead of the delete.......keep smiling.........:)...........Vicrev

Al,
Is this a fun thread? It came loose on my favourite lounging about trousers which will be coming with me on my Camino next May.

Hi John - those daks will be a hit for post-walking lounging about (we call it slobbing about here in the Land of Oz!) in the albergues! 'Hope you strike warm weather!
BTW - that's a REALLY CUTE cat !!!

For a moment Annie,I thought you were going to mention the Cricket Religion,but,we aren't allowed to talk about sport, on this Forum,leads to arguments.......I have to mention in passing........OZ 1.....POMS 0 !!!!..........:D...........buggar,just pressed the post button instead of the delete.......keep smiling.........:)...........Vicrev

Well I shall not comment ….. I am trying to foster good international relationships with our friends "over there " hence my comment "we Aussies love our Pommie friends " but I think YOU may start an international "incident":rolleyes:……. actually I have NEVER been to the cricket … even though I am in walking distance to the "test series"… I think what they are called ?

Attachments

• upload_2013-12-1_20-38-41.png
    upload_2013-12-1_20-38-41.png
    95 bytes · Views: 17
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi John - those daks will be a hit for post-walking lounging about (we call it slobbing about here in the Land of Oz!) in the albergues! 'Hope you strike warm weather!
BTW - that's a REALLY CUTE cat !!!

The cat is not real despite what it looks like. It's a momento and tells the story of "Ship's cat Simon" from HMS Amethyst.

The cat is not real despite what it looks like. It's a momento and tells the story of "Ship's cat Simon" from HMS Amethyst.
Hi John - I've just read Simon's story and looked at a youtube clip featuring that plucky little fellow! What an exceptional cat he was! Thanks for sharing this.
Cheers - Jenny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was going to mention the Rugby,so glad I didn't,Ambassadors would have been recalled..............;)...........Vicrev

Just taken a look at Johnny Walkers pilgrim stats looks like the ug hum Aussies have a bit of catching up to do to catch the Poms this year vicrev ;)
http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com
D*m your right vicrev that post button does move from delete !!!!

Last edited:
I think the best joke, ongoing right now, is our cricket team in Australia - oh dear, perhaps crying would be better!
Mean as this sounds, there are some of us revelling in what is making you miserable.
As an Aussie who was living in England when we lost an Ashes series badly, I understand what it might be like. But understanding is not sympathy when it comes to cricket!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi David and greetings and felicitations my dearest pilgrim b -
I have one word for both of you ... it's 'Pomicide' !
Dearest pilgrim b - the bus to Leon took a wrong turn at Santo Domingo de la Calzada (I still managed to see the chooks though!) and I ended up back in the Great Southern Land just in time for another epic battle ... yes, that of the Ashes!
(Apologies to those who missed the Henry V thread and who therefore will not get the 'in' joke ... btw: you missed a great thread if you weren't following it!).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know sport is a naughty word on this forum,but,being a pathetic cricket tragic,I just can't help myself............OZ 3 Poms 0.:eek:.....the Ashes are OURS !! !!!!!!!.:D:D:D:D:D:D...........keep smiling............a happy Vicrev
@vicrev you should stop being so cruel to our wonderful English friends. Who else would have provided a team so optimistic at the start of the series for our viewing delight and pleasure?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We have to rub it in when we can,Doug.(good isn't it ) :D:D..............I can't stop smiling Vicrev
Yes but WG Grace never turned up, yet again vicrev! He was playing in a higher leagues so I understand, and those were only the subs from our rounders team!! ;)

€83,-

It is one of those stories that works best in related company, that is among Aussies, or possibly Kiwis. Once you cross an Ocean, it sort of loses something in translation. However, THIS colonial understood and found it funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I noticed it's raining again in the pic, how is the weather doing it in your neck of the woods? Think it might be better tomorrow!!!!!

€46,-
Greetings everyone!

Your Forum amigos JennyH94, St Mike II and Norelle, about to tuck into 'Camino Nightmare Bombe Alaska' and 'Santiago Fruit Salad' at lunch today on the sunny South Coast of New South Wales ... you can't half tell it's the holidays here!

cba1901.jpg

Cheers!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get the poor lad's wine glass filled up Jenny, a man could dehydrate it that climate, no wonder our useless lads lost, you deprived them all of drink!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Wayfarer and David for your "thumbs-up" responses to this small example of silliness!
pilgrim b! I can see your cold English winter has not frozen your sense of humour! I will refrain from commenting in detail on the latter part of your post but I must implore you to accept the Poms' massive defeat in the cricket with grace! Please - no more sarcastic comments! As my yoga teacher says ...
"Let it go"!

Thanks Wayfarer and David for your "thumbs-up" responses to this small example of silliness!
pilgrim b! I can see your cold English winter has not frozen your sense of humour! I will refrain from commenting in detail on the latter part of your post but I must implore you to accept the Poms' massive defeat in the cricket with grace! Please - no more sarcastic comments! As my yoga teacher says ...
"Let it go"!
There you go again JennyH94, reminding me of grace! yet again, and as I have said in an earlier post:
"Yes but WG Grace never turned up, yet again vicrev! He was playing in a higher leagues so I understand, and those were only the subs from our rounders team!!;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So your 'gels' have managed to salvage England's cricketing pride! Make the most of it while you can!

Six victories in around 80 years of the Womens' Ashes series ... history speaks for itself! (Ta Dah!)

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust ... if our girls don't get you our boys must! (and they did!!!)

Ahh yes the wine is back on tap, and the gals are much better at rounders than the lads, all is well in the world every one is happy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And what celebratory wine are you drinking in your Northern climes pilgrim b?

I have it on good authority that our lads are enjoying ...

Cheers and congratulations on the win by your girls!
Now that looks like a bottle of tar bitumen ( a viscous, black tar like liquid,substance)it would make a sticky wicket in Oz with those high temperatures you peel under.
No here in the temperate Isle we take our drink a little more gentile, a Nip of this, a Sip of that, or a drink of Hop in a big glass when the temperatures rise. More or less, a hop, sip or nip, so to speak that stuff you drink must put hairs on "ones" chest, suggest you leave it be jennieH94. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
could be! Notice that the rim of the glass appears to give her a jaunty moustache?
Yes I must agree older ladies, can sometimes have this problem must remember to ask a certain lady from the Southern Islands if she has noticed this ;);) ;) Oh dear I just pressed!!! reply, not delete!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And what celebratory wine are you drinking in your Northern climes pilgrim b?

I have it on good authority that our lads are enjoying ...

Cheers and congratulations on the win by your girls!

As a Scotsman myself you just gave me a laugh out loud moment Jenny. On a truly miserable winter's day, thank you for a little bit of brightness.:D

Greetings dear Forum Amigos from a sunny Sydney Saturday ... oh dear! Temps in the high 20's ... soooo hard to take! 'Might have to go for a swim!

Now to my reply, in order of posts ...

pilgrim b! That tarry beverage you speak of is, in fact, Mother's Milk to us Aussies who enjoy a sip of something red and delicious ... we too like to have a nip, a sip and a drink of hop in a large glass, but unlike the Poms we properly chill our beer!

David! Where DO you find these gems! I have noticed over time that you DO TEND to open cans of worms with photos such as the one posted above!
HRH's mo? All I can say about your cosy little chat with your fellow pot-stirrer pilgrim b re inappropriate facial hair, is that HRH needs to have her eyes tested ... or sack her beautician!

John! Thank you for your kind and generous post. I'm so glad it gave you a laugh. I hope that the skies will be sunny for you very soon and that an early Spring will be with you until the 'official' Spring begins. May 14, and the start of your Camino, isn't far off now - are you counting the days yet? (I would be!).

Cheers Lads!

chatting in broken English to a young lad from korea on my first camino I mentioned that the previous evening I had seen a guy doing the camino in reverse,the young lad looked at me in amazement and said he thought this was a very dangerous and foolish thing to do as how could he possibly avoid falling all the time:eek:perhaps I should have rephrased it to explain the guy was travelling FROM Santiago to st Jean as opposed to the regular route and not literally walking backwards :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the thing to remember about the ashes (men) is that, ok, the England team didn't win but they did come second from the top whereas the Australia team could only manage second from the bottom .....

And………………………………………………………. they are very consistent !!!!!!!!:)

Ah David and pilgrim b ! ... I have to inform you of news just to hand from cricketing contacts of mine is that the English lads all received one of these for 'coming second' in the Ashes ...

upload_2014-2-3_15-27-44.jpeg

Possibly more useful to those of a practical nature than a small terracotta urn with the ashes of a bit of cricket equipment inside !

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Come on Allan we are waiting for the new thread 'A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum' :)
Or, how about "A Funny Thing Happened on The Way to the Camino"! or How I loved to stop worrying about my blisters and enjoyed to view ahead (even if it was only 5 metres ahead)!! Cheers to all

Nice T shirt on St Mike and good high calorie walking food. :)
Thanks - it was a chance to give the "original" Camino T shirt and outing, with the blue one posted as my photo snap. Will change the snap when my Camino buff comes along soon (I hope). The cricket results became a topic of much mirth this summer - the English women at least managed to win 3 matches and the men only 1!!:rolleyes:

Ah David and pilgrim b ! ... I have to inform you of news just to hand from cricketing contacts of mine is that the English lads all received one of these for 'coming second' in the Ashes ...

View attachment 7879

Possibly more useful to those of a practical nature than a small terracotta urn with the ashes of a bit of cricket equipment inside !

Yes I have just thought of a good use for this trophy so generously donated by our pilgrim friend JennieH94, what do you think David and fellow pilgrims?

€46,-
Now, now, pilgrim b! Don't keep us all in suspense! Do tell!

Must not keep Southern lady in suspense: Milk, plain flour and eggs in a bowl mix with the donated trophy leave to rest, then place in a warm oven for 15 to twenty minutes and you have…………………………….Yorkshire puddings, simples!!!!! What had you got in mind JennyH94?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Must not keep Southern lady in suspense: Milk, plain flour and eggs in a bowl mix with the donated trophy leave to rest, then place in a warm oven for 15 to twenty minutes and you have…………………………….Yorkshire puddings, simples!!!!! What had you got in mind JennyH94?
....and don't forget the golden syrup when you serve it.

Oh I can't wait for Shrove Tuesday and the same recipe for pancakes only fry in butter toss when golden then served with syrup or lemon to taste Valeria the taste is in my mouth already!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I meant syrup on the Yorkshire pudding, like my mother-in-law taught me. Batter, baking tin with the fat nearly smoking (hot oven) cook and eat with syrup before the meat course.
'Them that eats most pudding gets most meat' - that's if you you have any room left!
Pancakes - I taught her :) with lemon juice and sugar. I still have her frying pan that I make these in, and her yorkshire pudding tin and balance scales.
Happy memories.

I meant syrup on the Yorkshire pudding, like my mother-in-law taught me. Batter, baking tin with the fat nearly smoking (hot oven) cook and eat with syrup before the meat course.
'Them that eats most pudding gets most meat' - that's if you you have any room left!
Pancakes - I taught her :) with lemon juice and sugar. I still have her frying pan that I make these in, and her yorkshire pudding tin and balance scales.
Happy memories.

Yes Tia Valeria I love Yorkshires with lovely union gravy like you say before the meat course absolutely.You pressed a senses button with the golden syrup as I love my pancakes with syrup. O dear I am putting pounds on in weight writing on this post!!!!! :)

Last edited:
Happy memories.

NNnnnoooo - heresy!! Americans tend to put anything sweet they can lay their hands on onto savoury items but in the UK we don't. Yorkshire pudding was originally eaten with some of the gravy from the main meal, then moved to being part of the main dish. I have never heard of anyone on this side of the water putting sweet stuff on them, just gravy made from the roast meat juices. Mind you, that it was given as a way of 'bulking up' before the main meal as people were poor flies in the face of both history and logic. Poor families couldn't afford meat that could be roasted in the first place! So Yorkshire pud with gravy and some vegetables would be what the poor ate for a 'Sunday dinner' (and lucky if they had the vegetables).
Pancakes on Shrove Tuesday - traditionally with lemon juice and white granulated sugar .. the Maple syrup, wood sugar, is my own preference.

Sounds like you are in pancake meditation David?????

Ah, pancake meditation. Emptiness is form; form is emptiness ..... Pancakes have no existence in and of themselves, they are a merely a temporary manifestation ...
well, certainly temporary in my kitchen ... they come into existence and they disappear out of existence pretty quick, maple syruped and all ........ ;)

David, tha's dealing with Yorkshire folk here, either by birth or adoption.
Terry's family always had their Yorkshire pudding with 'treacle' (syrup) - his Grandad too.
I am not sure that some of the family had ever been out of Yorkshire, and then Terry went and married a southerner ;) :)

Last edited:

€60,-
Sithi David tha's got twa yokshere bods on tha tail, so ah thinks I likes tha medition sentiments ther great and true. But ah shud leave puddins alone ort lass will be after you!!! ;)

Your never in trouble David just too enthusiastic about your puddings! :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What had you got in mind JennyH94?

Any number of culinary delights pilgrim b!
, the creation of which would not have been possible without the abovementioned 'trophy'! Indeed, here at No. 94 the wooden spoon is a most valued item in the kitchen, of late to be looked at most fondly when recalling the outcome of the latest Mens' Ashes series!

Yorkshire puds, pancakes ... so delicious! In the perhaps unlikely event that you all become tired of the traditional lemon juice and sugar/maple syrup accompaniment to pancakes, here's an absolute cracker of a caramel sauce to make: the recipe is a really old-fashioned one from Cahill's Restaurant at Circular Quay in Sydney which sadly closed many years ago ... "2 0z. butter, 3/4 cup carnation milk, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1+1/2 cups brown sugar. Put all ingredients into a saucepan and stir with your trusty wooden spoon until boiling and the sugars have dissolved. Simmer for about 4 minutes". The sauce is fabulous when served warm with pancakes or waffles and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. It also keeps for ages in the fridge, which, with a spoonful of ice-cream, comes in very handy for those midnight "Nigella" moments at the fridge door!

Tia ... you're spot-on with the memories that kitchen items which have been handed down bring when you use them. When our dear Mum passed away in late 2007 her children (5 of us) kept the majority of utensils from her kitchen. The most-fought-over item was a funky fifties egg-beater, which ended up with my brother Phil - he has it on display on a bookshelf in his study! I have several treasured items including her everyday cutlery set, which is used every single day, with beautiful warm memories of both Mum and Dad.

Cheers everyone - Jenny

Or perhaps mini versions (ie our fabulous pikelets) for afternoon teas!
Ooh very English! Have you got a long toasting fork or is it under the grill? No not the toasting fork the pikelets JennieH94 ;)

Last edited:
a caramel sauce to make: the recipe is a really old-fashioned one from Cahill's Restaurant at Circular Quay in Sydney which sadly closed many years ago ... "2 0z. butter, 3/4 cup carnation milk, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1+1/2 cups brown sugar. Put all ingredients into a saucepan and stir with your trusty wooden spoon until boiling and the sugars have dissolved. Simmer for about 4 minutes". The sauce is fabulous when served warm with pancakes or waffles and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. ...........
Cheers everyone - Jenny
We bought this in jars in Argentina and also had a very similar recipe which, like yours, by using a tin of evaporated milk saves simmering the milk down so much. Dulce de Leche (Milk Jam) great on bread etc or straight off a spoon - and very occasionally found in the UK as an import. We must try it on ice cream, something we have done in the past with golden syrup.

Ooh very English! Have you got a long toasting fork or is it under the grill? No not the toasting fork the pikelets JennieH94 ;)

Yes pilgrim b! The pikelets are very English, and very delicious too! They're the same as drop scones and the batter is cooked in a greased frypan. Here's a pic -

upload_2014-2-5_8-35-13.jpeg

I make a tropical version which has shredded coconut and lime rind in the pikelet mix. I serve the pikelets with a spoonful of lime curd and a dollop of whipped cream - fabulous!

Tia - the Dulce de Leche sounds beautiful and really versatile! Thanks for this tip. It would be a great topping on the pikelets, again with a dollop of cream and a slice of banana. I'll look out for it at our speciality food stores.

Yes pilgrim b! The pikelets are very English, and very delicious too! They're the same as drop scones and the batter is cooked in a greased frypan. Here's a pic -

View attachment 7902

I make a tropical version which has shredded coconut and lime rind in the pikelet mix. I serve the pikelets with a spoonful of lime curd and a dollop of whipped cream - fabulous!

Tia - the Dulce de Leche sounds beautiful and really versatile! Thanks for this tip. It would be a great topping on the pikelets, again with a dollop of cream and a slice of banana. I'll look out for it at our speciality food stores.

Oh memories, my dear mum used to make those on a griddle (that's a flat metal plate to fit on the cooker top) we used to call them Scottish crumpets delicious. Bet someone will take a rise out of that name so before they do………. That's not a young pretty Highland lady in a kilt!!!

Come to think about it ……. it was probably that kind of crumpet ruined any chance of our lads winning the cricket tests!!!

[quote="JennyH94,

Tia - the Dulce de Leche sounds beautiful and really versatile! Thanks for this tip. It would be a great topping on the pikelets, again with a dollop of cream and a slice of banana. I'll look out for it at our speciality food stores.[/quote

Right! That 's it! Enough is enough! My tummy is rumbling! Looking to books flight to Oz now Jenny, get those pike lets in the oven. See you soon.;)

Come to think about it ……. it was probably that kind of crumpet ruined any chance of our lads winning the cricket tests!!!
Ha ha pilgrim b! It was probably the sight of all the 'Kylies' in the crowd wearing our Aussie green and gold shorts ... no Pom would stand a chance!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.